• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Xeteh

Oh, that's what you guys are talking about? Characters have 2 end-of-round victory animations, depending on their remaining health. That's one of them.

Edit: Unless I'm wrong and she has 3? But I'm pretty sure I got that one in a normal match.

Nah, this was full health. She doesn't do that when she's anywhere below that.

Edit: And yeah, she has a 3rd one for low health.

MrCarter

Shout outs to Bison's 30th anniversary costume looking boss as fuck. The giant Shadaloo skull on the back of his fur cape is some amazing detail from Capcom. Truly majestic.

MechaX

Welcome to Dhalsim. Hope you like your stay.
And that is definitely a Bread and Butter pressure tool. Doing drills at optimum ranges and hit confirming into combos is the name of the game.

Fun fact: When you hit toes using Menat's divekick, you are so plus that you can connect a no-ball st. HP or cr.HP

Oh man, that's going to take some getting used to.

Hell, I dunno if her LK drill is worth it given how high up it travels. I need to see if the divekick is plus or minus on block even if it doesn't hit the toe.

cHaotix8

She doesn't do a lot of damage and has weak defensive options but it seems like her mixup game will be pretty strong. Still early but it looks like she has the biggest normal throw range out of everyone and can combo off an overhead or lows while also having a divekick and a decent zoning game. I think it will be interesting to see what people can do with her over time.

Alright so menat's crouching vskill is safe on block when the orb is out, so she actually has ender for blockstrings.

Also her buttons are all pretty good without the orb, stlp > stmp seems to beat anything that isn't invincible. Same with stmp > stlk and crmk > crlp/lk.

sthk doesn't crumple without the orb, but you can still easily dash up > stmp > vskill > super.

FluxWaveZ

Nah, this was full health. She doesn't do that when she's anywhere below that.

Edit: And yeah, she has a 3rd one for low health.

I see, so she does have 3 in total. The time I got that one must have been a round where I got a perfect. That's pretty cool; I wish it was her actual match-end animation if it ended on a perfect.

sephi22

Oh man, that's going to take some getting used to.

Hell, I dunno if her LK drill is worth it given how high up it travels. I need to see if the divekick is plus or minus on block even if it doesn't hit the toe.

All are worth it. You're supposed to do them at different ranges. The idea is no matter what height or distance you are in the air, there is a divekick you can do to land in a way that you are plus or safe on block.

For example in Dhalsim's case, if I do an ex gale mid screen, then cancel into float, press forward for a milisecond, then do mk drill, I hit my opponent on their toes on wakeup as meaty and can do whatever I want.

Similarly when up close range, I can make them block a couple of light punches and kicks, then neutral jump immediately. Depending on the pushback, I have to decide at what height I should do the HK drill to hit them optimally. It's a good strat to blow up throw attempts.

The LK drill is usually to close distance or do really ballsy plays. For eg: Ryu throws a hadoken, expecting you to jump over it to shoryuken you, but instead you jump backwards just high enough to go over the fireball, then do the LK drill to land right outside his sweep range, so that he can't hit you with DP or any of his buttons. It's also used after certain setups to hit them meaty after you knock them down a long distance away.

Given enough time in training mode, you will be able to discover and make your own setups based on the knock back of your moves and the drill follow up after to hit meaty. Drill usage is 50 percent setups and 50 percent prediction and reaction based on your and your opponent's position on screen. The biggest combos happen after the lowest hitting drills, but as long as you hit them below the knees, you should be able to hit them with a light punch or kick combo easily. Try to get your drills down so that you can combo into lights first, then mediums, then try to do those crispy drills that make you plus enough to do big normals like st.HP or cr.HP.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hooray for 30k fight money! Used it to help buy the Metro City stage.
Also cleared survival normal with Menat by spamming standing HP lol.

MechaX

All are worth it. You're supposed to do them at different ranges. The idea is no matter what height or distance you are in the air, there is a divekick you can do to land in a way that you are plus or safe on block.

For example in Dhalsim's case, if I do an ex gale mid screen, then cancel into float, press forward for a milisecond, then do mk drill, I hit my opponent on their toes on wakeup as meaty and can do whatever I want.

Similarly when up close range, I can make them block a couple of light punches and kicks, then neutral jump immediately. Depending on the pushback, I have to decide at what height I should do the HK drill to hit them optimally. It's a good strat to blow up throw attempts.

The LK drill is usually to close distance or do really ballsy plays. For eg: Ryu throws a hadoken, expecting you to jump over it to shoryuken you, but instead you jump backwards just high enough to go over the fireball, then do the LK drill to land right outside his sweep range, so that he can't hit you with DP or any of his buttons. It's also used after certain setups to hit them meaty after you knock them down a long distance away.

Given enough time in training mode, you will be able to discover and make your own setups based on the knock back of your moves and the drill follow up after to hit meaty. Drill usage is 50 percent setups and 50 percent prediction and reaction based on your and your opponent's position on screen. The biggest combos happen after the lowest hitting drills, but as long as you hit them below the knees, you should be able to hit them with a light punch or kick combo easily. Try to get your drills down so that you can combo into lights first, then mediums, then try to do those crispy drills that make you plus enough to do big normals like st.HP or cr.HP.

In that case I'll probably try to lab it out. I am way too used to Cammy where her divekicks are always going to go in one direction and are usually safe on most angles.

Did anyone get Guile's anniversary costume? I need to know if he combs his hat in his victory pose. :p

Bought the costume just to find this out and I don't even play Guile.

He fucking combs the hat.

Syntsui

That combo Momochi is trying to do right now is some KoF shit. This character will shut the mouth of people that wanted a technical character. I can't wait to see Xian replays using her.

JusDoIt

This character will shut the mouth of people that wanted a technical character.

No it won't. People will just front and say she's a watered down GG knockoff or complain that SFV only has one technical character out of 27. You can't patch out every OS.

MCD250

Finally getting to try her out. She's slower than I expected. I'm also getting the distinct sense that she is not very pad-friendly.

choco_manet.jpg

cHaotix8

Oof...her keepaway game is strong.

No kidding. Having trouble as Abigail just dealing with orb st HP lol. Still just need that one jump HK to seal the round but her standing HK and EX Soul throw are pretty strong anti airs.

Her super has 18 frames of invulnerability too haha.

Bob White

013.png

Wrapped up in bandages, Menat looks similar to Cleopatra. Wonder if those bandages work for detox? For Color 13, I can envision her leaping off a futuristic skyscraper.

OH MY FUCKING GOD! This is legit as fuck, capcom!

JeTmAn81

Looking at Akuma's stats on the CFN website and it's funny. After EVO his usage skyrocketed and his rank plummeted. All these people picking him up and not knowing how to play him!

VariantX

Damn. If capcom ever made a character that requires you to clean up your sloppy ass inputs, its Menat. You're not getting shit out of her V-Skill until you do. Didn't even realize you could trigger the orbs though negative edge too. It was totally fucking me up.

Yeah her vtrigger isn't very pad friendly.
I'll have to find a vtrigger combo that doesn't wrangle my fingers.

Also if you taunt she fires all orbs at once, could be a nice stun KO ;P.

Top Bottom