• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Marvel

could never
Kolin is great, I enjoyed my time spent with her. AA EX counter (ENG Voice) "ON YOUR KNEES!" is perhaps one of my fave moves and lines in the entire game actually.

Teh Lurv

I tried Menat and the pretty sure I won't be able to play her right at all, too much going on. That said, I'm picking up Chun and she's a ton of fun. Any primers/tips for her? I know she got nerfed in S2.

Also which players to watch for her?

Here are some good season 2.5 tutorial videos for Chun-li:

Bafael's 2.5 guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZQfIksEI0Q

Sea Leaf Dojo Practical Combo Guide: https://youtu.be/jlUzJvi5aiI

Chun-li isn't too hard to initially pick up, her BnBs ending in lightning legs are easy. I'd start practicing s.MP,c.MK,xxSBK(L,M) as soon as possible. Once you get the timing down on that combo, you open up superior combo options that end in more corner carry and a knockdown.

Xeteh

Kolin is great, I enjoyed my time spent with her. AA EX counter (ENG Voice) "ON YOUR KNEES!" is perhaps one of my fave moves and lines in the entire game actually.

Hell yeah.

Kolin is a lot of fun, I was surprised that so few play her.

Neoxon

I like how her EX voice lines give us a peek at the psycho Kolin keeps locked up in her.

I wonder how they'll buff v-reversals. I kinda want them to be half a single bar tbh but I don't think that'd be balanced.

Obviously some of them need better spacing, like poor Menats

joe2187

Banned
I like how her EX voice lines give us a peek at the psycho Kolin keeps locked up in her.

uYWxx9f.png

Xeteh

Makes me happy they changed her face. Are they ever gonna update her Cinematic Story model..

I'm surprised (okay not really, its Capcom) that they didn't swap the models for it. Doesn't seem like it'd take too much effort but who is going to want to update their story mode dlc.

delSai

lol what's your CFN?

I started like 5 days ago, so maybe just go into training and push the dummy around, i think i can do something better with my time then losing 10 matches in a row. Or make a smurf account, it would probably be pretty much the same and we might even bump into each other!

Just frustrating to wait forever to find a match and then get greeted by Kens fucking face. When i win i want to keep going because im pumped from the last victory, if i lose i want to get my points back. There's characters i've seen only once, some not at all in almost 300 matches. It's like its Ken Fighter 5 + Ryu, Akuma and Guile sometimes.

I started like 5 days ago, so maybe just go into training and push the dummy around, i think i can do something better with my time then losing 10 matches in a row. Or make a smurf account, it would probably be pretty much the same and we might even bump into each other!

Just frustrating to wait forever to find a match and then get greeted by Kens fucking face. When i win i want to keep going because im pumped from the last victory, if i lose i want to get my points back. There's characters i've seen only once, some not at all in almost 300 matches. It's like its Ken Fighter 5 + Ryu, Akuma and Guile sometimes.
i feel you. Shoto play is dominate when you first start.

If you level up though, Ken's and especially Ryu are less frequent.

Akuma and Guile are top tier though, so they will pop up pretty regularly on all levels. Lots of Ken's moved to Akuma after S2.

joe2187

Banned
Fuck it, Omni....I'll fight you. Imma scrub and I hate ken, But I need to learn how to destroy him.

if that means hitting your feet/fists with face until death so be it. He is the constant cockblocker on my road to gold ranked.

What the fuck was this all about?

At first I thought his controller was broken, but nope, he seemed to be able to stay on the ground on multiple ocassions.

Then I was like "Maybe it's oneof those bot accounts that sort of test you. if you can't overcome a simple tactic, you probably should drop the game" but nope. I checked the profile and this is his first match period + something like spamming fireballs would make way more sense than random erratic jumping >_>

Teh Lurv

If you're not maining Ken, you're already a winner.

I assume you're in Rookie/Bronze league? Practice your anti-air and your punish combos, then play it defensive and let the Kens screw themselves with YOLO tatsus and shoryukens.

delSai

If you're not maining Ken, you're already a winner.

I assume you're in Rookie/Bronze league? Practice your anti-air and your punish combos, then play it defensive and let the Kens screw themselves with YOLO tatsus and shoryukens.

I'm in super bronze, usually drop down to bronze because i dont know who to play, experiment with characters and then pick Urien because i feel like i know how to use him at least a little, but then i start getting bored again. The problem really isn't how they play, i know to block when they wake up because they'll do a DP and all that, it's just not fun to fight em + i have no idea how to deal with i dunno, Abigail or Kolin since they show up so rarely. It feels like the game is just preparing me for better Ken players lol but when a Juri shows up, someone i've never played against, i'll have no clue what to do.

If the Ken is at least good and does more then Tatsu and DP and puts up a good match i am more then okay with losing. I'm playing this game for good matches, not because i want to win.

Having no character is probably the biggest problem, and SFV is the first fighting game in which i have this problem.

Producer

At first I thought his controller was broken, but nope, he seemed to be able to stay on the ground on multiple ocassions.

Then I was like "Maybe it's oneof those bot accounts that sort of test you. if you can't overcome a simple tactic, you probably should drop the game" but nope. I checked the profile and this is his first match period + something like spamming fireballs would make way more sense than random erratic jumping >_>

Lol wow. Probably just a really random dude or maybe a gimmick account. Like theres this Mika player named PedroV that just plays completely random and hes like in ultra plat or diamond. I played him in both casual and ranked and he played the same way lol

Maybe you beat somebody who just picked up a fighting game for the first time and immediately jumped online. Did they manage to do even a single special? I don't think so. That said, some people seemingly don't know how to play fighting games without jumping all the time.

Also, random aside, if you are going to KO a stunned opponent with a throw, then do a back-throw. That nets you more EX meter than a neutral/forward throw.

Ucchedavāda;247528031 said:
Maybe you beat somebody who just picked up a fighting game for the first time and immediately jumped online. Did they manage to do even a single special? I don't think so. That said, some people seemingly don't know how to play fighting games without jumping all the time.

Also, random aside, if you are going to KO a stunned opponent with a throw, then do a back-throw. That nets you more EX meter than a neutral/forward throw.

Yes, he did, he even landed a nice eries of collarbone breakers on me...

kikiribu

Do keep in mind that it's entirely possible he was laughing on his end. Not everyone who picks up a fighting game is taking the matches as seriously as you might be. They could be at a party, they could be with friends, just having a good time not caring about their rank or what you might think lol

Do keep in mind that it's entirely possible he was laughing on his end. Not everyone who picks up a fighting game is taking the matches as seriously as you might be. They could be at a party, they could be with friends, just having a good time not caring about their rank or what you might think lol

I guess I expect Ranked to be people at leastsort of in it and that's on me.

Sounds like the very likely explanation, makes those collarbone breakers I ate all the more embarrassing XD

Yes, he did, he even landed a nice eries of collarbone breakers on me...

Looking at it again they did manage a Tatsu at one point, but that seems to be it.
Collarbone breakers are not specials, those are classified as command normals (single direction + button, in this case forward + MP). They did Ryu's other command normals as well, namely back + HK (axe kick), and forward + HP (solar plexus strike).

I think they are were just furiously waggling their joystick and pressing buttons.

Between Scotia, Neoxon and Ucchedavāda, I can't tell apart these people based on avatars anymore :mad:

Don't worry, I'll be back to my usual avatar shortly.

DunpealD

Ucchedavāda;247529300 said:
Looking at it again, they did manage a Tatsu at one point, but that seems to be it.
Collarbone breakers are not specials, those are classified as command normals (single direction + button, in this case forward + MP). They did Ryu's other command normals as well, namely back + HK (axe kick), and forward + HP (solar plexus strike).

I think they are were just furiously waggling their joystick and pressing buttons.

Where is the gif with the waggling and mashing kid when you need it?

I'm in super bronze, usually drop down to bronze because i dont know who to play, experiment with characters and then pick Urien because i feel like i know how to use him at least a little, but then i start getting bored again. The problem really isn't how they play, i know to block when they wake up because they'll do a DP and all that, it's just not fun to fight em + i have no idea how to deal with i dunno, Abigail or Kolin since they show up so rarely. It feels like the game is just preparing me for better Ken players lol but when a Juri shows up, someone i've never played against, i'll have no clue what to do.

If the Ken is at least good and does more then Tatsu and DP and puts up a good match i am more then okay with losing. I'm playing this game for good matches, not because i want to win.

Having no character is probably the biggest problem, and SFV is the first fighting game in which i have this problem.

You should start working on your spacing and punishing them. It's okay to play safe - you want them to hang themselves. Get just outside the range of a DP and let it whiff while you punish. You don't always have to be in their face. If they don't have meter, you can get a little meaty going. Tatsus aren't safe on block UNLESS they are in v-trigger. If they pop that they are plus even on block, so it's best to keep them away or get a knee dive going once you see it start up (make sure your spacing is high enough to get them or escape their spam).

Teh Lurv

It kinda looked like to me the guy was trying & failing to do something like a Zangitroll.

Producer

anyone else double tapping for menat orbs instead of hold and release? I find it easier but im wondering if maybe there'd be a drawback in some way in double tapping..

FluxWaveZ

anyone else double tapping for menat orbs instead of hold and release? I find it easier but im wondering if maybe there'd be a drawback in some way in double tapping..

For the more complex sequences (which is most of them), you're not going to be able to not use negative edge. Either because it actually makes things more complicated, or because it makes the combo impossible because Menat needs to not have a move come out when a ball does (like air juggles into air command grab).

Producer

For the more complex sequences (which is most of them), you're not going to be able to not use negative edge. Either because it actually makes things more complicated, or because it makes the combo impossible because Menat needs to not have a move come out when a ball does (like air juggles into air command grab).

hmm yeah i was thinking something like this would probably be the case. I've only been doing the basic ground combos so far. Oh well, gonna have to suck it up and get good.

If I am reading the Japanese CFN right (via Google Translate), then the current patch changed something visual(?) about Akuma's Red Fireball:
・豪鬼のEX「赤鴉豪焦破」のエフェクトを変更しました。
 ※性能については変更ありません。
· We have changed the effects of [Akuma's] EX "[Sekia Goshoha]".
※ There is no change for performance.
https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/systemfault/131952

Have anyone noticed anything different?

joe2187

Banned
An Abigail with 20 wins in ranked....okay lets see

Alright I won the first round and....disconnected...

and.....I lose LP????????????????

Top Bottom