• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Hitting into v-trigger isn't really that big of a deal. It just shouldn't assure you a huge damage and be the major draw of the fight the entire time. SFV kinda locked itself out of the meat part by having two meters, whereas other games like EX or 4 gave you meter to use for Excel and FA respectively. That's why the new characters are kinda cool, I feel like their v-skills and normal toolkits are fun enough on their own. Ed being the exception to the rule.

All they really need to do to fix this problem is make the v-skills more viable for some characters and more situational for others. Maybe let Urien multihit after SAVORING THIS, give Mika some new properities (while letting that shit come out faster c'mon capcom you know that shit is wack as it is), and whatever. At the same time, activating into trigger with certain moves and certain characters is too easy for what they get out of it like Balrog.

I trust that this data exists, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's coming in the future. It could just be remnants of a cut mechanic.

Problem is, nobody saw it before, even the dudes on reddit mentioned it. But it COULD be from cut content that was being developed recently and might not make it in already.

Move the hitboxes for jumping attacks down a bit so they don't always trade with jabs while they are at it.

Fixed

jett

D-Member
This game is bugged on PC for me. It prompts me to "download" the latest title update every time I open it lol.

Hitting into v-trigger isn't really that big of a deal. It just shouldn't assure you a huge damage and be the major draw of the fight the entire time. SFV kinda locked itself out of the meat part by having two meters, whereas other games like EX or 4 gave you meter to use for Excel and FA respectively. That's why the new characters are kinda cool, I feel like their v-skills and normal toolkits are fun enough on their own. Ed being the exception to the rule.

All they really need to do to fix this problem is make the v-skills more viable for some characters and more situational for others. Maybe let Urien multihit after SAVORING THIS, give Mika some new properities (while letting that shit come out faster c'mon capcom you know that shit is wack as it is), and whatever. At the same time, activating into trigger with certain moves and certain characters is too easy for what they get out of it like Balrog.

Problem is, nobody saw it before, even the dudes on reddit mentioned it. But it COULD be from cut content that was being developed recently and might not make it in already.

Fixed
this right here is some straight BULLSHIT

There's characters with buttons good enough they don't even need to rely on Trigger, yet the option is there. The fact is, when you have BOTH options your character is all that much more capable in a variety of situations. It's not just high damage characters like Balrog, Rashid can literally pop his trigger anywhere anytime once he gets it and receives an immediate mixup from it. It's ridiculous to punish as well.

Akuma and Guile do random safe yolo FB or Boom because they pop Trigger for safe yolo.

Necalli gets Trigger and it's impossible to react to HALF his moves! Lol.

The trigger situation is the biggest reason the game isn't balanced. Other characters are way better because of it. It needs big refinement imo

Bob White

I don't give a fuck what they add for Season 3. Just nerf dashes. Like, fucking outright sf4 nerf. Half the motherfuckers online are fucking frauds with these bullshit ass dashes.

DunpealD

I don't give a fuck what they add for Season 3. Just nerf dashes. Like, fucking outright sf4 nerf. Half the motherfuckers online are fucking frauds with these bullshit ass dashes.

Remember the times before the release of SFV? When people said they want better dashes?

galvenize

Ibuki has never looked finer in her newest costume

cdda901590.jpg
Look at her, gorgeous.

So why does this exist:

fMCT4iz.jpg

I thought the problem was jump-ins.

Or is it dashes?

Or the oki game?

Or V-Reversals being weak?

Or crush counters?

Or jab anti-airs?

Or input lag?

Or the priority system?

I can't keep up!

Whatever gets the job done. They could make it so that jabs can't hit airborne opponents for all I care.

Nah, most fighting games allow you to jab people outta the air. It's that it's too reliable because of the hitboxes. So long as they fix it and make other AA better I'm good.

this right here is some straight BULLSHIT

There's characters with buttons good enough they don't even need to rely on Trigger, yet the option is there. The fact is, when you have BOTH options your character is all that much more capable in a variety of situations. It's not just high damage characters like Balrog, Rashid can literally pop his trigger anywhere anytime once he gets it and receives an immediate mixup from it. It's ridiculous to punish as well.

Akuma and Guile do random safe yolo FB or Boom because they pop Trigger for safe yolo.

Necalli gets Trigger and it's impossible to react to HALF his moves! Lol.

The trigger situation is the biggest reason the game isn't balanced. Other characters are way better because of it. It needs big refinement imo

Ehh I wouldn't go that far. The trigger situation presents scrambles, which would be effectively neteured if better defensive options were in place. I don't mind that Necaili can go crazy because he's in trigger, it's that his dumb ass is able to do all the dumb shit even better and it's coin flip city.

Fighting games need to be a little ridiculous or it gets boring as shit. But the constant lack of getting people off you is what fucks everything up especially when they don't have to work all that hard to break through any form of defense. All characters should have the fun, not toning it down so that nobody has fun.

Or is it dashes?

Or the oki game?

Or crush counters?

Or jab anti-airs?

I can't keep up!

The real problem is that too many people want too many different things and barely anyone can agree on shit besides more defense in general. People want a fun, perfectly balanced game where execution is hard but easy but also let's me go crazy but let's me play perfect mind games while my character is strong and everyone else needs to be nerfed.

We all think within a bubble and rarely apply it to a system wide thing because even a slight change fucks everything up. Even my suggestions are bias.

I really don't want to hate Menat but goddamn can she really has the worst V-Reversal out of any character. Light and Medium Command Throws works on her.

It's something that really needs to be addressed.

Producer

Or is it dashes?

Or the oki game?

Or crush counters?

Or jab anti-airs?

I can't keep up!

You forgot input lag and priority system. Lol

I really don't want to hate Menat but goddamn can she really has the worst V-Reversal out of any character. Light and Medium Command Throws works on her.

Ever since the trailer i knew that vreversal was gonna be ass

mbpm1

It is. Kolin no longer has to worry about having the worst escape V-reversal

kirblar

The main issue with the game's "feel" is that pressure feels suffocating. Dashes, issues with lack of good anti-airs, the Crush Counter system, etc. all play into this.

Mizerman

The real problem is that too many people want too many different things and barely anyone can agree on shit besides more defense in general. People want a fun, perfectly balanced game where execution is hard but easy but also let's me go crazy but let's me play perfect mind games while my character is strong and everyone else needs to be nerfed.

We all think within a bubble and rarely apply it to a system wide thing because even a slight change fucks everything up. Even my suggestions are bias.

Basically, too many cooks spoil the broth.

The main issue with the game's "feel" is that pressure feels suffocating. Dashes, issues with lack of good anti-airs, the Crush Counter system, etc. all play into this.

That's really about it. SFV is fucking stressful. Like everything is crazy and wild and shit gets amplified to higher degrees. There's rarely time to just calm the fuck down.

Basically, too many cooks spoil the broth.

Hopefully they've been real careful about what they are putting in this next season and don't go overboard because someone caught feelings after a match

Blu(e)

there's no costumes except for special packs, like the cpt or christmas ones, in the steam store.

I mean the ones inside the in-game store. I just mention steam to mean if steam were to have a sale would Capcom also have their skin at a discounted price.

That's really about it. SFV is fucking stressful. Like everything is crazy and wild and shit gets amplified to higher degrees. There's rarely time to just calm the fuck down.

SF2 was like that, though. Damage was super high, fireball pressure was super strong, chip hurt, throws hurt, corners hurt, all knockdowns were hard knockdowns, and reversal timing was tight (assuming you even had a good reversal). Every decision you made was fast and important, and there really wasn't much time to slow things down...especially in the turbo updates.

kirblar

SF2 was like that. Damage was super high, fireball pressure was super strong, chip hurt, all knockdowns were hard knockdowns, and reversal timing was tight (assuming you even had a good reversal). Every decision you made was important, and there really wasn't much time to slow things down...especially in the turbo updates.
Except for that massive amount of time when the game would lag out when you got hit by fireballs and stuff. :p

I mean the ones inside the in-game store. I just mention steam to mean if steam were to have a sale would Capcom also have their skin at a discounted price.

No because steam sales are only for items in the steam store, like the costume packs.
individual pieces of paid content are not in the steam store.

We've already seen what happened in season 2.

Or did we

S2 was a weird mix of Capcom not giving a fuck by nerfing defense and people freaking out and calling the game dead. The former was stupid, and the latter was stupid just as much (I remember tons of people predicting Urien, Laura, and Rog ruling over the Top 8/16s while fucking Necaili flies under the radar. Boy were they wrong, but to be fair, 2.1 helped that).

SF2 was like that, though. Damage was super high, fireball pressure was super strong, chip hurt, throws hurt, corners hurt, all knockdowns were hard knockdowns, and reversal timing was tight (assuming you even had a good reversal). Every decision you made was fast and important, and there really wasn't much time to slow things down...especially in the turbo updates.

TBF that game had fairly good AAs, tighter execution requirements, and it let's you feel like you are in control (cue that Damdai video of him getting BTFO'd by a Vega player meming him). SFV lulls you into thinking you have control but then takes it away due to all the game's stressful things like CCs and such. On the flipside SF2 had a ton of stupid shit in it too and even though some combos were hard some were easy as shit and you'd get way more off that than most v-trigger things.

It's probably more painful because SFV is on the edge of fixing most of its problems but we don't get constant updates.

Sounds hype.

It is. They just need to find a damn middle ground. Let the chaos continue, but let people chill like a few times outta the game.

DunpealD

TBF that game had fairly good AAs, tighter execution requirements, and it let's you feel like you are in control (cue that Damdai video of him getting BTFO'd by a Vega player meming him).

You called?
That wasn't some Vega player, but one of the best, maybe even the best? Mao won like at least two EVO ST Tournaments, not including the team tournament.

EVO top 8 with people playing 8 different characters and the game isn't balanced.
Expert players are now the be-all barometer for balance?

As the list of characters keep growing, you will get more and more diversity. It doesn't mean there isn't a stark difference between top tier, mid, and low.

There will always be tiers, a truly balanced game is mitigated the disadvantages between them. ATM, there's a pretty big advantage between the top of the pile IMO, so yeah, I wouldn't call the game truly balanced yet.

https://www.facebook.com/shinxkira/posts/466145633768338 said:
Today we have hot news about Street Fighter V.

Searching inside de game looking for V-Mode info I came across something that even I freaked out when I saw, yes I’m talking about the Expansion of V-System, probably it will be called Variable System(V-System Ver.)

It consists in changing completely the game mechanics, the biggest news isn’t that we will have a new V-Reversal/V-Skill/V-Trigger/Critical Art.

I found that this can be Customized, yes, I’ve said exactly this and you didn’t read wrong, from what I understood and all that points to we will have the options off the following customizations, following e.g.:

Default:
V-Reversal
V-Skill
V-Trigger
Critical Art

New:
V-Reversal 2
V-Skill 2
V-Trigger 2
Critical Art 2

Custom:
V-Reversal 1/2
V-Skill 2/1
V-Trigger 1/2
Critical Art 2/1

As I just showed here all possibilities grow exponencially to the gameplay, with Capcom unlocking this the game will receive an absurd leap to what we have today.

https://www.facebook.com/shinxkira/posts/466221243760777 said:
As i told previously in 2016, the ”V-Mode" surely would appear in the game someday, as i had told "V-Mode Coming…” at the time we hadn’t many things, besides the skel and 3 calls for 3 characters;

Ryu (He’s the first to receive any kind of modification as he is nothing less than the main base for all Chars inside the game…).

Ken(He made a demo about a second Critical Art during the general story mode before Decapre’s battle).

Necalli (At Necalli’s case isn’t something to be surprised as it was utilized on the skel of General Story).

But since last maintenance on the server ”Menat’s patch 02.050” the following entries had been listed:

V-System Ver.

PS4 Only
vreversal=0

Steam / PS4
vskill=0
vtrigger=0
caver=0
Changing the values + is a key piece, it’s already possible to understand how this works.

Value=0 Default V-System 1
Value=1 New V-System 2
Value=2 Custom “Hibrid” V-System 2/1 or V-System 1/2

Without the key piece nothing of this has any effect, after all, how would the server be able to set the previous operation of this function, the without file required to the activation?... all the secret is at Ryu… XD

And yes, this is not speculation, it’s something coming at the future!
I know about all changes that come to the game, after all i have access to developer mode and what changes there remains listed, many things i don’t even talk because i see no need to ;*

Inside PS4 are many spoilers of the future…
XD

Also i had discovered many things that i will talk at a future, but for now that’s all.
At least two other redditors have confirmed the same can be found in-game.

For people wanting a summarization, he's saying that there is code for new V-Skills, V-Reversals, V-Triggers, and CAs in the game. How it works is that you choose one of three V-Modes. The first is Default, which is already in the game. The second is V-System 2, which changes all of these values (I think?). The third is Hybrid, which mixes the other two (though how is not specified).

Or is it dashes?

Or the oki game?

Or crush counters?

Or jab anti-airs?

Or input lag?

Or the priority system?

I can't keep up!
people will always complain. There's is some legitimate issues though.

1) reaction is hard as hell in this game. You have to anticipate too many things instead of just reacting. If it was fixed somehow, it increases mind games and smarter play. Good example Balrog's overhead. Completely different character if you could more consistently react to his shenanigans with high/low. Worse yet Ibuki, straight 50/50.

2) crush counters are too good for certain characters. It needs balancing, not to be done away with (V-Trigger too)

3) Defense is kinda dead, and that's not good, leads to one sided playstyles. RTSD applies to majority of the cast lol. More honest play styles currently are at a disadvantage because defense tools are lacking.

How these things get fixed is why it seems like people are complaining about everything. But it's really just a few issues.

Xeteh

As the list of characters keep growing, you will get more and more diversity. It doesn't mean there isn't a stark difference between top tier, mid, and low.

There will always be tiers, a truly balanced game is mitigated the disadvantages between them. ATM, there's a pretty big advantage between the top of the pile IMO, so yeah, I wouldn't call the game truly balanced yet.

Of course they aren't the sole measurement of balance but you can't say a game is imbalanced when the spread of characters in the most important tournament is that varied. Yes, there are some characters that are pretty bad right now but I don't think it is a stretch to say that gap between the majority of the cast is pretty small.

I think they say it in the video

Damdai was just confident he could reversal but he could have blocked all of those instead of gambling on the damage and a short reversal window

Welp. I've only seen the one with the blaring horns (I didn't even click the link I just remembered it lel)

Nah, that's not how it works. Diversity comes from the game itself, not inclusions (unless inclusions alter the meta, but again that means it's the character and not the number of characters). Hot Scramble is still top dawg in Gundam despite adding a bunch of DLC (AFAIK). SFV has always had diversity in its tournament Top 8s/16s, moreso this year than last. If the game was truly unbalanced you wouldn't see anyone but the toppest of tiers doing work, but that's not the case.

All fighting games have high, mid, and low tiers. SFV is no different, nor is Tekken, or any other game. There will always be a difference, and despite the advantages of the top tiers and how they do in scrambles, it's not enough to just select one and win instantly. Even Laura's dumb bullshit doesn't let her sweep tournaments with perfect ease.

The term "balance" is pretty dumb because it's an unreachable area that no game has gotten to. And if it ever did, it'd be boring as fuck.

As for experts and pros, they aren't the only way to tell if a game is balanced, but people playing at the highest levels and still having variance in tournament play means the game must be balanced enough that picking a large portion of the cast means you can win. Putting in more work than another person is an aspect of fighting games and it's no different in any other game.

people will always complain. There's is some legitimate issues though.

1) reaction is hard as hell in this game. You have to anticipate too many things instead of just reacting. If it was fixed somehow, it increases mind games and smarter play. Good example Balrog's overhead. Completely different character if you could more consistently react to his shenanigans with high/low. Worse yet Ibuki, straight 50/50.

2) crush counters are too good for certain characters. It needs balancing, not to be done away with (V-Trigger too)

3) Defense is kinda dead, and that's not good, leads to one sided playstyles. RTSD applies to majority of the cast lol. More honest play styles currently are at a disadvantage because defense tools are lacking.

How these things get fixed is why it seems like people are complaining about everything. But it's really just a few issues.

I agree with all of this. But reactions are kinda iffy. Most people aren't going to react to half the shit even if the lag was fixed. The range of the normals is what makes "whiff punishing" so difficult. Defense is truly the worst part oft this game and seriously encompasses a large portion of my problems.

Top Bottom