• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Sayad

It MIGHT be CC only but I haven't checked to be honest.

Regardless yeah she's the only one who can do that.
Thinking about it, being able to special cancel sweep on hit is probably why she can't VT cancel on block, otherwise:
Sweep > buffered special > buffered VT
Would be a disgusting option select when ever she has VT. Characters get one sweep VT attempts, but she would get to spam her sweep while keeping VT until the sweep is blocked.

Surfside

Banned
Online seems more borked than usual since 5.0 update. Is this just me or is anyone else experiencing something weird?

I had also problems since the update hit. Hopefully today will be better.

On beating afk players: i used to wait for them, sometimes even for an insane amount of time. But the last few times, i just beat them senseless. Same with rematches, if my opponent lost, i would let them decide if they wanted a rematch. Not anymore! I hit that rematch button as soon as i can.

I'm more the fair and square kinda guy. But this game boosts my worst instincts somehow.

When's that Taito tournament again? I'm expecting (something you should never do with Capcom) AE to be announced there.

Menat can special cancel her sweep and overhead by using her ball recovery.
Her ball recovery has special rules that are the exception, not the standard.

Or.... you know.... Street Fighter IV?
I always forget about it.
The season 1 DLC characters had no meterless invincible reversals which brought that on to a universal change in season 2. Maybe most season 2 characters having low damage would be a clue to season 3 changes? Abigail really throws a tire into that theory doesn't he.

I just want crush counters to be sweeps only. I want neutral to be honest again.
Crush counters are fun. Just nerf the ones that are stupid. I know Necalli and Balrog are the prime suspects.

Blueblur1

Speaking of arcade and Taito, SFV arcade will debut on October 22nd: https://www.taito.co.jp/arc/news/2862

Google Translation said:
  • At the venue, we use Steam Version Street Fighter V customized for the cabinet.
  • The enclosure version "Street fighter V" can be enjoyed at events only. At this time, we do not plan to deploy at amusement facilities etc. Please be forewarned.

That doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence.

But cc combos are so hype to pull off.
Also, made it to gold after an embarrassing amount of play

Let me guess, you play Urien

giphy.gif

We rip Necalli a lot but we also forget a flaw with Urien. While Necalli St.HK can be used after a disc guidance in both normal and back recover, it's -4 on block. Meanwhile Urien's ST.HP is -2 and beats 3f moves on both normal and back recovery, there is no reason not to press this button after every tackle.

There's no high risk no reward.

Online is still borked for me :/

Something is going on recently. I've been getting good matches in the first game but the quality drops and see my opponents connection drop down to 3 bars.

jett

D-Member
People want to remove CC? That's nuts, it's one of SFV's most defining features. CCs are pretty awesome, it feels great to land one.

Crush counters are fun. Just nerf the ones that are stupid. I know Necalli and Balrog are the prime suspects.
They just feel fundamentally flawed. I like poking, I like neutral, I don't like one lucky button press leading into big rewards without having anything resembling a downside.

People want to remove CC? That's nuts, it's one of SFV's most defining features. CCs are pretty awesome, it feels great to land one.
They only really make sense on sweeps imo. I hate getting hit by them, and landing one isn't very satisfying because of what it ends up taking away.

CCs are great in the context of punishing DPs hard.

I think they are a good addition to footsie mechanics.

I think getting a CC off of a throw tech attempt misses their point and leads to frustration.

Pompadour

From what I understand if two normals collide on active frames and one is a higher strength (medium vs. heavy, for example) the higher strength one wins due to the priority system AND gets a Crush Counter. It shouldn't counter hit at all in that scenario, it should just be beaten cleanly.

Because of this CCs are way too frequent and Heavies value more than Mediums in the neutral.

Crush counters outside of being used to punish invincible reversals are one of the most idiotic mechanics i've ever seen in fg's tbh

Having them just for DP punishes would be crazy, though. It would be a mechanic whose only purpose is to punish the handful of characters who have a reversal. And you can basically max punish blocked DPs anyway, tying CCs to DP recovery means that just for that specific situation you unlock an even more damaging combo than your character's max punish.

I'd go the other direction. Give more characters meterless invincible reversals and remove the CC recovery state on EX DPs. You pay for it, it shouldn't be so unsafe.

They just feel fundamentally flawed. I like poking, I like neutral, I don't like one lucky button press leading into big rewards without having anything resembling a downside.

They only really make sense on sweeps imo. I hate getting hit by them, and landing one isn't very satisfying because of what it ends up taking away.
You're not wrong.

I liked their DP punishment when DPs had meterless invincibility, but now it's just a bit overkill.
Even then, I wasn't a 100% on it. Maybe making it so that you have to choose between a CC that leads to a combo with more stun/better oki, a CC that has the same properties as the regular version of the move but gives you V-meter or a guaranteed hard knockdown (sweep) was always something I thought was the best idea.

Crush counters outside of being used to punish invincible reversals are one of the most idiotic mechanics i've ever seen in fg's tbh
You're not wrong.
From what I understand if two normals collide on active frames and one is a higher strength (medium vs. heavy, for example) the higher strength one wins due to the priority system AND gets a Crush Counter. It shouldn't counter hit at all in that scenario, it should just be beaten cleanly.

Because of this CCs are way too frequent and Heavies value more than Mediums in the neutral.
Yep, pretty much. Having a normal priority system without a crush counter system is still fine (look at Kolin and FANG's frametraps), or having a CC system without a priority system (you still get the CC but if it lands on your opponents' active frame then you trade and possibly can't convert off of it) but having both at the same time is just..... why?

Sayad

Can we link to early S2 threads with most complaining about nerfs being bad and all that jazz! After S1 top tiers, I wouldn't want to see Capcom attempt to nerf anything that isn't ruining the game, and even then let's hope they don't just delete it like Chun's IAL.

It's especially rich seeing Zomb, after all the whining about Nash's S2 nerfs, wanting nerfs for a character that is lower on most tier lists than Nash was last season!

Pompadour

CCs are the best.
Y'all wanting them on sweeps only are wild and should just play sf4 instead.

People who want them removed are crazy. They just need to be nerfed so the risk/reward is rebalanced. Right now if you have a decent CC and you're in range, the smartest and safest option is to hammer HP or HK.

It's the same issue SF4 had with lights. Cr. Jab is super safe and can lead into max damage so it's the smartest move to make. SFV is truly some monkey's paw shit.

Can we link to early S2 threads with most complaining about nerfs being bad and all that jazz! After S1 top tiers, I wouldn't want to see Capcom attempt to nerf anything that isn't ruining the game, and even then let's hope they don't just delete it like Chun's IAL.

It's especially rich seeing Zomb, after all the whining about Nash's S2 nerfs, wanting nerfs for a character that is lower on most tier lists than Nash was last season!

My complaint is no different everyone elses, the game is too offensive heavy.

And yes charecters like Urien needs a nerf on his KDA and ST.HP because of the reward being high with litle to no risk.

It's to make sure he can't go for St.hp for every normal quick rise the opponent does if they try to wake up 3f jab.

It's not like Akuma where you have to choose between a cr.mk or cr.hp after his BnB

Teh Lurv

CC's should really be reserved for countering special moves only. Getting the opportunity for a big blow-up combo should be a reward for punishing a whiffed DP or catching a special on the start-up frames, not because your opponent threw out a poke at a bad time.

But I doubt Capcom will change the CC system, sudden reversal of fortune and big blow-up combos make for good stream viewing and Capcom wants to cater to the spectator audience.

More crush counters should be fundamentally flawed like Alex's. It is great on block+hit, but it has a decent amount of startup and can be ducked, so you can't just mash it like a maniac.

I could live without a single nerf if they just give somewhat substantial buffs to the lower tier characters. Give Ryu, Juri, Chun, Alex, Menat and Ed some love. Alex and Juri especially. Users of those characters have been slumming it for way too long. At least Ryu and Chun had the limelight on them for a while.

LakeEarth

Don't need to get rid of CC's altogether, just maybe reduce the usefulness of a handful of really good CC buttons.

Without CC's, Alex would be even worse! And then I won't be able to do my patented crush counter clothesline into clothesline v-trigger cancelled into clothesline xx lariat to (situational ender). I know the third clothesline could instead be the more damaging big boot, but I love repetition.

Surfside

Banned
CC's should really be reserved for countering special moves only. Getting the opportunity for a big blow-up combo should be a reward for punishing a whiffed DP or catching a special on the start-up frames, not because your opponent threw out a poke at a bad time.

But I doubt Capcom will change the CC system, sudden reversal of fortune and big blow-up combos make for good stream viewing and Capcom wants to cater to the spectator audience.

Sadly it seems that way. Footsie heavy games are way more fun though, waiting for that golden opportunity to strike makes for an exciting match. But appearently not for viewers.

I for myself just hope that they make throws a less universal tool.

DunpealD

Don't need to get rid of CC's altogether, just maybe reduce the usefulness of a handful of really good CC buttons.

Without CC's, Alex would be even worse! And then I won't be able to do my patented crush counter clothesline into clothesline v-trigger cancelled into clothesline xx lariat to (situational ender). I know the third clothesline could instead be the more damaging big boot, but I love repetition.

I think many can agree that's an argument for removing CC's.

Sayad

My complaint is no different everyone elses, the game is too offensive heavy.

And yes charecters like Urien needs a nerf on his KDA and ST.HP because of the reward being high with litle to no risk.

It's to make sure he can't go for St.hp for every normal quick rise the opponent does if they try to wake up 3f jab.

It's not like Akuma where you have to choose between a cr.mk or cr.hp after his BnB
The fix for offense is better defensive options, because otherwise, if you try to fix it by nerfing strong tools, you will be nerfing characters all the way to Kolin, Juri and FANG.

And you're the only one I've seen online complain about Urien st.HP being a problem on wake up! How is st.HP on your wake up every time a problem really?! If you know it's coming, that's a free wake up guess, just block it and take the advantage! If Urien(without VT) is really giving you a harder time on wake up than Akuma, then you're missing a huge part of the wakeup puzzle!

Top Bottom