• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

jett

D-Member
One of his colors has to be a Phoenix Wright reference.

9IvabjV.jpg

Crosspost from Zeku thread:

Street Fighter really used Final Fight lore to establish the origins of Strider. Jesus, how many franchises are now canon to SF?

-Street Fighter (duh)
-Final Fight (multiple characters and overlapping plot points)
-Muscle Bomber/SNSM (canon to FF; cross-references between SF and MB)
-Justice Academy/Rival Schools (recently established by one of SFV's lead artists)
-Strider (Zeku heavily hinted to be founder of the Strider style)
-Captain Commando (Takes place far in FF's future; Viper hinted to use prototypes of tech in CapCom)
-Vampire/Darkstalkers (not officially canon, but Donovan was (possibly jokingly) referred to as Dan's ancestor in concept art)

SF's practically become Capcom's version of KoF at this point.

Edit: Updated to include CapCom and specify Vampire's state.

Mizerman

Street Fighter really used Final Fight lore to establish the origins of Strider. Jesus, how many franchises are now canon to SF?

-Street Fighter (duh)
-Muscle Bomber/SNSM (canon to FF, cross-references between SF and MB)
-Justice Academy/Rival Schools (recently established by one of SFV's lead artists)
-Vampire/Darkstalkers (not officially canon, but Donovan was (possibly jokingly) referred to as Dan's ancestor in concept art)

Don't forget Captain Commando where Sho is another successor of the Bushinryu Style.

Pompadour

-Street Fighter (duh)

If Darkstalkers is canon then Ghouls n Ghosts is, too, because Makai exists in both.

Firebrand for S3

Edit: you also left out Captain Commando which takes place in future Metro City.

Neoxon

-Street Fighter (duh)

Capcom could low-key make SFVI into Capcom All-Stars if they wanted to at this rate.

Lulubop

I thought cviper was said to be ancestry of CapCom. Also I remember that her alt in mvc3 was supposed to have a comic explanation or some shit.

Does Gunspike / Cannon Spike count? It's a Psikyo game but Capcom published it. Not to mention Kinu Nishimura character designs, and Nash, Cammy, Megaman, and potentially Arthur are in it.

I haven't seen a peep of that. Where are people getting it from? The only thing I've seen is the similarities in the suits but nothing that implies a family connection.

MCD250

Keep wondering about the fact that Zeku's V-Skill teleports him. Gotta see how it works, obviously, but might be it comes useful when you're stuck somewhere on screen.

kirblar

Keep wondering about the fact that Zeku's V-Skill teleports him. Gotta see how it works, obviously, but might be it comes useful when you're stuck somewhere on screen.
I think it may only teleport on hit. If it still does it on block it'll likely be unsafe as f.

Does Gunspike / Cannon Spike count? It's a Psikyo game but Capcom published it. Not to mention Kinu Nishimura character designs, and Nash, Cammy, Megaman, and potentially Arthur are in it.
Non-canon. It's completely disconnected from SF lore and also couldn't possibly exist even if it tried (Nash died before Killer Bee became Cammy).

Ken's stage isn't a costume party, but just cameo appearances and nothing really more than that.
Pretty sure it is a costume party, but yeah, it's just cute cameos like "Kuma" in SFV.

Don't forget Captain Commando where Sho is another successor of the Bushinryu Style.
Isn't it also implied that Viper's suit is a precursor to Captain Commando's?
Also there is a theory that C. Viper's gears are early prototypes of CapCom's gears.
you also left out Captain Commando which takes place in future Metro City
Noted. I guess CapCom counts too.

Rymuth

All this lore talk is making me giddy

giphy.gif

-Street Fighter (duh)

Asura's wrath is set millions of years in the future (or in the past, depending if SF is set in the new world created by Asura's daughter since we see Chun-Li)

All this lore talk is making me giddy

Asura's wrath is set millions of years in the future (or in the past, depending if SF is set in the new world created by Asura's daughter since we see Chun-Li)

A single instance doesn't prove a rule. Plus Capcom could arbitrarily come out and say "Actually, that lady just looks like Chun. It's not actually her".

Rymuth

A single instance doesn't prove a rule. Plus Capcom could arbitrarily come out and say "Actually, that lady just looks like Chun. It's not actually her".
They could but I doubt they'd be doing a good job at it

maxresdefault.jpg

Plus, that's obviously Roxy and Poison in the background.

kirblar

I would not be surprised if Roxy eventually gets added to SFV and Poison sits this one out. There were a lot of electric effects added to Poison's Omega version for some reason.

galvenize

I would not be surprised if Roxy eventually gets added to SFV and Poison sits this one out. There were a lot of electric effects added to Poison's Omega version for some reason.

The return of poison for SFV would do fuzzy things to my heart. I got into fighting games with her.

kirblar

Why not both?
I think USFIV overlapping on PS4 w/ SFV has had a big influence on character choices for SFV. There's been a big emphasis on SFA/SF3 vets who sat out the game, and with the newbies they haven't been afraid to replace older characters (Hugo, Guy) w/ new "functions" that overlap heavily with the older character's gimmick.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think USFIV overlapping on PS4 w/ SFV has had a big influence on character choices for SFV. There's been a big emphasis on SFA/SF3 vets who sat out the game, and with the newbies they haven't been afraid to replace older characters (Hugo, Guy) w/ new "functions" that overlap heavily with the older character's gimmick.

Ugh, I guess Hakan's chance went lower even it's already low enough.

Scotia

Banned

Now that you mention it this actually makes sense. Characters I thought would have for sure made it in (Hugo, Rose, Guy ect.) now almost seem less likely to make it in (though their chances are still somewhat good) with Ultra literally being a download away for both PS4 and Steam users.

Ugh, I guess Hakan's chance went lower even it's already low enough.

41V6lM9.gif

kirblar

Same rationale can be applied to MvC:I going 2v2. If (might be a big if now, unfortunately) we get an MvC4, I'd expect it to return to 3v3.

get that easy 5K FM at least

Same but the weekly FM keeps me coming back

Ohhh I am. It's not that I don't like the game, but that the wait for the character that I want is suffocating my Bison play. Like, I should be playing Zeku right now instead of using Bison.

Once better defense gets put in across the board I'll probably put Abigail back on deck and run ZEKU/ABI as my final team since I love Mad Gear/FF stuff the most. Bison was as great/fun for his rushdown shenanigans but I've had the most fun overall with Abby for thematic purposes. I'm sure Zeku will be the same.

Scotia

Banned
Ohhh I am. It's not that I don't like the game, but that the wait for the character that I want is suffocating my Bison play. Like, I should be playing Zeku right now instead of using Bison.

Oh I know how you feel man, I'm exactly the same. I'm just playing random matches in vsCPU trying to pass the time until Zeku comes out.

With the focus on Alpha, I wonder why Sodom's not in the game.

Literally the only Alpha character not represented in SF4 OR SF5, right?

Top Bottom