• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Scotia

Banned
With the focus on Alpha, I wonder why Sodom's not in the game.

Literally the only Alpha character not represented in SF4 OR SF5, right?

He was going to be in the initial 16 but Capcom decided not to go with him because they 'didn't know how to fit him in the story'. He'll make it in at some point for sure though.

Oh I know how you feel man, I'm exactly the same. I'm just playing random matches in vsCPU trying to pass the time until Zeku comes out.

This will probably be my last week of Bison. Not putting enough into learning him even though I'm close to Gold. There's a mini-tournament coming up at Red Bull but I'll just dick around and use Abby there as well.

Anyway, I wonder what the lore tier lists look like now. None of the new characters have done enough to prove themselves vs other characters besides Ed beating Rog. AFAIK.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
With the focus on Alpha, I wonder why Sodom's not in the game.

Literally the only Alpha character not represented in SF4 OR SF5, right?

Sodom was rumored to be part of S3 so we will see if the rumor is right or not.

What about Maki since her first street fighter game is Alpha?

Marvel

could never
I'll be heading back into SFV properly tomorrow, to re-balance my muscle memory after so much MKX.

Missed Bison.

Scotia

Banned
This will probably be my last week of Bison. Not putting enough into learning him even though I'm close to Gold. There's a mini-tournament coming up at Red Bull but I'll just dick around and use Abby there as well.

Anyway, I wonder what the lore tier lists look like now. None of the new characters have done enough to prove themselves vs other characters besides Ed beating Rog. AFAIK.

I'm still sticking with Ken/Alex for now but if I gel with Zeku then I'll probably focus on him for a while.

As for lore tier lists, it's hard to say lol. I could imagine Zeku being up there, but seeing as Guy beat him (which makes Guy look really good) then he's probably not that high, unless Zeku's got super powerful since Guy beat him. It's tough to say where the other characters this season stack up tbh. Kolin doesn't really do much and it's clear she's just a sidekick with Gill, Ed beat Balrog which is impressive so he's probably got potential, Abigail I'm so/so because I'm 50/50 on whether or not his story is even canon because it makes that little sense and Menat just seems too carefree to really be considered that high.

DunpealD

I'm still sticking with Ken/Alex for now but if Zeku sticks with me then I'll probably focus on him for a while.

As for lore tier lists, it's hard to say lol. I could imagine Zeku being up there, but seeing as Guy beat him (which makes Guy look really good) then he's probably not that high, unless Zeku's got super powerful since Guy beat him. It's tough to say where the other characters this season stack up tbh. Kolin doesn't really do much and it's clear she's just a sidekick with Gill, Ed beat Balrog which is impressive so he's probably got potential, Abigail I'm so/so because I'm 50/50 on whether or not his story is even canon because it makes that little sense and Menat just seems too carefree to really be considered that high.

Was there any indication that Zeku wasn't actually sandbagging because he was sick of being a Bushinryu babysitter?

I'm still sticking with Ken/Alex for now but if I gel with Zeku then I'll probably focus on him for a while.

Yeah, I have no idea what was going on with Zeku. It HAS been years since that fight, and being able to transform into a YUNG version to cover his weaknesses could put him on top. Guy has always been ridiculous, and I'd say he's stronger than Cody since he's actually fought fairly strong people before like Rose and won.

I feel like Menat needs more years on her but she seems pretty capable. Kolin? I have no idea, but she must be fairly strong if Gill likes her, dunno where that puts her. Abigail's story is weird, because he seems like he's stupidly strong like the rest of the FF people, but his story seems like more of a rampage than straight up fights.

Scotia

Banned
Was there any indication that Zeku wasn't actually sandbagging because he was sick of being a Bushinryu babysitter?

None that I know of but it's entirely possible. Maybe Zeku didn't have the ability to become younger when he fought Guy? I'm really looking forward to Zeku's character story.

Shadoken

Guy and Cody have always shown to be top tier fighters lore wise. Bison,Akuma,Gen and many acknowledge this. And even in SFxT we got the Over 9000 reference.

So yea Zeku might be strong , but Guy has beaten him pretty convincingly. Without killing him that too. Just like Zeku did with Genryusai.

Yeah, I have no idea what was going on with Zeku. It HAS been years since that fight, and being able to transform into a YUNG version to cover his weaknesses could put him on top. Guy has always been ridiculous, and I'd say he's stronger than Cody since he's actually fought fairly strong people before like Rose and won. .

Or that time Bison even fled from Guy in his ending. Lmao the ninja blades.

Lulubop

The Striders are OP tho and he's seemingly the founder of one of. I bet it'll be retconned that he felt Guy was fitting to be successor and sandbagged.

Tbf Bison fled because Guy threatened to blow up his only means of escape if he didn't give up Rose, not because he didn't want to fight Guy.

As for win quotes, it's kind of a toss up. Some I feel have their place in canon, but a bunch don't, and most of the references change between each game. Better to use them as substance for general events rather than stand alone things.

And SFxT ain't close to being canon. That being said, I'd put them in the same bracket as Nash and those under Demi-Gods like Sagat, Ryu, and Ken.

Scotia

Banned
My feelings towards win quotes are that they're more like general 'what if' scenarios that show what character A would ever say to character B should they ever meet, which doesn't happen in canon.

Yeah, I have no idea what was going on with Zeku. It HAS been years since that fight, and being able to transform into a YUNG version to cover his weaknesses could put him on top. Guy has always been ridiculous, and I'd say he's stronger than Cody since he's actually fought fairly strong people before like Rose and won.

I feel like Menat needs more years on her but she seems pretty capable. Kolin? I have no idea, but she must be fairly strong if Gill likes her, dunno where that puts her. Abigail's story is weird, because he seems like he's stupidly strong like the rest of the FF people, but his story seems like more of a rampage than straight up fights.

Yeah, Zeku could have legitimately been beaten by Guy and then randomly disappeared to become stronger and learned the ability to become younger while Guy just fought Cody every time he broke out of prison. I also agree about Guy being stronger seeing as Cody's insane strength has kinda become meme status for a while now.

Agree about Menat, it seems like she has real potential to be pretty powerful one day. Kolin is weird because she could be pretty strong but her devotion to Gill comes first over her desire to fight so we don't have any good examples of how strong Kolin (which is why I wish she was playable in ASF). As for Abigail, I have no doubt that he's strong but his characters was such a fucking mess (random bunch of fights with characters that shouldn't have been there for no real reason slapped together with "waaaaah where's my vroom!" just makes it hard for me to consider actual canon. I'm sure he could beat most of those characters, but I don't see him in a position that would ever lead to him fighting the likes of Juri or Vega ect.

Shadoken

M. As for Abigail, I have no doubt that he's strong but his characters was such a fucking mess (random bunch of fights with characters that shouldn't have been there for no real reason slapped together with "waaaaah where's my vroom!" just makes it hard for me to consider actual canon. I'm sure he could beat most of those characters, but I don't see him in a position that would ever lead to him fighting the likes of Juri or Vega ect.

Its pretty hard to gauge Abigails strength. Maybe he is fkin strong , but hes such a joke that he isnt a threat.

I mean he is only 2nd last boss in Final Fight. And it seems like FF chars are quite strong. He is clearly way above the likes of Rolento,Hugo..etc

M
Yeah, Zeku could have legitimately been beaten by Guy and then randomly disappeared to become stronger and learned the ability to become younger while Guy just fought Cody every time he broke out of prison. I also agree about Guy being stronger seeing as Cody's insane strength has kinda become meme status for a while now. .

So now the question is which is better ? Years of Training to become a Strider or Fighting Cody and FF thugs. Hmmmm.

The one quotes that are usually decent enough to draw from are the ones where characters DO meet up, like the ones during the Story Mode fights in SFIV. Guile and Abel had a whole conversation through that lol.

Shadoken

Some fights makes sense , like Guile Abel, Guy Rose..etc

But some like Balrog beating Seth then finding Ed is kinda weird? Coz he clearly found Ed. But maybe he just beat a Seth clone or something.

Mizerman

On one hand, Abigail was basically the top enforcer for the original Mad Gear and is shown to be very strong physically, but we don't know how he'll actually stack with the rest of the cast canon wise.

vg260

Speaking of FF stuff, I feel like the chances of Cody are pretty good for season 3, yes?

I want Rose, but I bet she's out due to Menat like Guy is likely out due to Zeku.

Scotia

Banned
Its pretty hard to gauge Abigails strength. Maybe he is fkin strong , but hes such a joke that he isnt a threat.

I mean he is only 2nd last boss in Final Fight. And it seems like FF chars are quite strong. He is clearly way above the likes of Rolento,Hugo..etc

Oh yeah, Abigail is super strong compared to the other members of the Mad Gear Gang. I'd even go as far to say that he's probably the strongest member of the MGG, it's just a shame he's portrayed as such a fucking joke. Even Hugo, who wanted to be a fucking potato, was portrayed as more of a stronger fighter than Abigail is in SFV. Like I said before, I could see Abigail actually beating the characters he fought in his character story, but how he's portrayed in SFV I just can't ever see that happen.

So now the question is which is better ? Years of Training to become a Strider or Fighting Cody and FF thugs. Hmmmm.

I know what I'd go for lol

It's Strider

Speaking of FF stuff, I feel like the chances of Cody are pretty good for season 3, yes?

I want Rose, but I bet she's out due to Menat like Guy is likely out due to Zeku.

Yes I think Cody's chances are very, very strong. I'm pretty confident he'll make it in S3 (if not S4).

kirblar

X-Kira's hinting at him being in and Sneakers had heard he was one of the characters under development, so its looking likely.

I would be surprised if there's more than 1 FF character in S3 because 2019 is FF's 30th anniversary.

Shadoken

Saw this on Wiki. Does Zeku also have the same Kanji?

"The kanji, 武神, written on Guy's top literally translates to "God of War"."

So now Kratos is Canon to SF universe? Kratos is founder of Bushin Style?
I knew there was more to the Sony deal.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Saw this on Wiki. Does Zeku also have the same Kanji?

"The kanji, 武神, written on Guy's top literally translates to "God of War"."

So now Kratos is Canon to SF universe? Kratos is founder of Bushin Style?
I knew there was more to the Sony deal.

Zeku has 武 for Bushinryu. It means War individually.

武神 is Bushin, which means Millitary Commander/War Leader or Martial God/God of War. 神 literally means god.

武神流 is Bushinryu, which is basically Style of the God of War.

Blueblur1

Cody and Sodom would be great. I wouldn't expect two FF characters in the same season though. Maybe in Season 4 (during FF's 30th anniversary) but not Season 3, IMO.

Discussing returning characters makes me so excited. I can't wait for the PSX/Capcom Cup announcements. :-D

Edit: Actually, Abigail and Zeku arrived in the same season so never mind that.

Scotia

Banned
I'm going with S3 being

Sagat
Sakura
Makoto
Cody
SF2 character (Fei Long?)
SF1 character (Eagle?)

Before anyone says "But X-Kira said two new characters!" I don't believe Kira when it comes to speculation. He's well known for just assuming stuff without any real proof.

Shadoken

My guess is Cody will be the highlight of S4. You cant throw out all the hype characters in S3 itself.

We might even get some sort of Final Fight mode in SFV for S4.

Top Bottom