• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

JusDoIt

Thinking on it, Guile was the first character I played in a fighting game that had an air throw. I remember the concept blew my mind at the time.

I’m pretty sure Guile, Chun, Vega (and Gief?) were the first fighting game characters with air throws period.

Anybody up late at night want to play my day 1 Akuma? I guarantee you he will be ass so plenty of free wins if you're at least Silver.

US East Coast
ID: Rice_Eater

Just say something if you want to play. I'll be checking the thread.

God I do not miss SFIV's low damage.

I see this a lot, but what's the context? If we skip all the other versions and just use USF4, I think most characters combos as a whole did more damage in USF4 compared to SFV S2(even S1 I bet) even if you exclude characters like Evil Ryu and Sakura.

Are you factoring combos starting with crush counter? Are you kind of blinded by how fast characters in SFV die because wake up is much weaker compared to SF4? Or something else?

kirblar

I see this a lot, but what's the context? If we skip all the other versions and just use USF4, I think most characters combos as a whole did more damage in USF4 compared to SFV S2(even S1 I bet) even if you exclude characters like Evil Ryu and Sakura.

Are you factoring combos starting with crush counter? Are you kind of blinded by how fast characters in SFV die because wake up is much weaker compared to SF4? Or something else?
The way in which the combo system encouraged you to start so much with jabs while scaling those combos heavily was a big part of it.

SFV's issue isn't the damage - it's the pacing and that you just cannot breathe if someone is pressuring you, especially in the corner.

The way in which the combo system encouraged you to start so much with jabs while scaling those combos heavily was a big part of it.

Yeah I figured that would be it after thinking about it a little more. I don't think most characters did much damage starting with two light attacks but still, plenty did. I could break 250+ with Evil Ryu. Even Yun got me a little over 200. Damn, how did I go from playing these two to S2 Ryu lol.

Qvoth

I think sf5's main gameplay problems are how easy it is to get stun, and the existence of throw loops

Really hope AE nerfs these

I think sf5's main gameplay problems are how easy it is to get stun, and the existence of throw loops

Really hope AE nerfs these
Yeah, the stun with the damage are the combo here that escalates things. Stuns are so common in V, so if they reduce the damage across the board, or reduce stun, I think either would be enough to reduce the snowballing you see in a lot of matches.

Btw, I just realized that Dhalsim's new Halloween costume is the first costume released thus far that actually changes the look of normals/specials.

MY PATRIOT SKIN FOR GUILE REMAINS A POSSIBILITY.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Similar scene with BigBird, who's played a lot of Guy before and has said that he's looking forward to Zeku.

What is it with Ken players and Bushin Style.

Our local Ken player was also a Guy player in 4 weird.

I've been away from the game for a while, so I'm curious, is Rashid good? If so what makes him strong? See him placing lots in top 8's and no idea why.

Reani

Our local Ken player was also a Guy player in 4 weird.

I've been away from the game for a while, so I'm curious, is Rashid good? If so what makes him strong? See him placing lots in top 8's and no idea why.
great pressure, great rushdown, good buttons, vtrigger shenanigans, good matchups against popular characters

Rashid's always been good, just highly slept on for the longest time for some reason. I'd always get the excuse that his damage was low but, well, not really, especially when he has so many ways to get around and pressure.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Man, just thinking of Cody being in this game get's me really hype.

Cody fits in well with SFV, he has short ranged combos, questionable anti-air, slow walkspeed, and does medium-heavy-special or medium-medium-special for all his combos.

...actually half the cast play like him already.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Paul Counter Hit deathfist says hi.

The thing I love about Pauls CH deathfist is, it hits for a lot BUT, not actually more than many other counterhit launchers into combo. It's a shitload of mental damage though.

You'll have a much worse time if Bryan lands a non-counterhit ws2

great pressure, great rushdown, good buttons, vtrigger shenanigans, good matchups against popular characters

What are those good matchups, out of curiousity?

Pompadour

Damage in SFV and SF4, numbers wise, is actually about the same. The biggest difference is that Critical Arts due a minimum of 50% of its max damage regardless of scaling.

I think USF4 feels lower damage because since lights could combo into just about anything and were safe, people started with lights which kicked the scaling in quicker.

Damage in SFV and SF4, numbers wise, is actually about the same. The biggest difference is that Critical Arts due a minimum of 50% of its max damage regardless of scaling.

I think USF4 feels lower damage because since lights could combo into just about anything and were safe, people started with lights which kicked the scaling in quicker.

Just like Karin, Necalli and every character with a 3f normal that can confirm off a counter hit.

Dp reversal should have been 1f projectile and 2f strike invincible.

If baffles me how you can't challenge anything until you have meter. And when you do and if it's blocked, you will be in a situation where you lose the match or the opponent will already have V-trigger and you lose the match.

That DP nerf made Guile a much better charecter and FK right when his Boom recovery ends.

Here's where the awful balance comes in, only Guile and gief have a meterless 1f projectile invincible special.

Surfside

Banned
Anyone else getting tons of server errors in the last week or so? Things are were working perfectly for so long I forgot that it was a thing, but now most of my match results fail to send.

Most my matches are laggy too. :(

I had this happen to me 2 weeks ago, i believe.

vulva said he had also problems at that time.

But now it works well again.

There was also someone who made a thread about it. Where he got booted from PSN a few times and his SF5 games became laggy and failed to retrieve data often.

I hope Honda makes it in instead of Q, and in an interview 2 years later it's announced that they were toying around with Q but Honda got his spot instead.

I'll gloat so fucking hard.

Scotia

Banned
I hope Honda appears in Q’s character story but he’s killed off in the first two seconds and that Bengus makes the drawing extra shitty.

I’ll gloat so fucking hard.

MCD250

The only SFII guy that should be launched into the sun is T. Hawk tbh.

T. Hawk is such an embarrasment of a...well, everything.

MCD250

I'd be okay with Blanka if it was bestial Blanka from early SFII and not goofy Blanka from later on.

But I know that's basically impossible at this point, so I guess he's gotta go.

Village

I can live with Chun, Chun has costumes I like buying. The rest, to the sun. Tiger shot into the sun.

That's never happening

Street Fighter 2 is the granddaddy of what is for the most part the modern interpretation of what a fighting game is

They will never go away

That's like saying " hey launch luigi into the sun "

That ain't happening

Scotia

Banned
That's never happening

Street Fighter 2 is the granddaddy of what is for the most part the modern interpretation of what a fighting game is

They will never go away

That's like saying " hey launch luigi into the sun "

That ain't happening

Just because they were in a game that defined a genre doesn't mean some are worth keeping around. I agree that not every SF2 should be thrown away, I just think a small handful are not worth keeping around. Let's face it, characters like Dee Jay and T. Hawk would not keep coming back if they weren't in SF2.

sephi22

I'll throw blanka into the rocket with him.

E.Honda stays!

E. Honda is such a nothingburger of a character that I'm surprised someone even likes him. Atleast Blanka is unique and has fans. In the competition of stereotypes, E.Honda and T.Hawk are the blandest, Honda being fat and ugly puts him at bottom.

Dee Jay is down there design wise too, but I feel like Dee Jay can be pretty sick with an updated design (see: Lucio from Overwatch). His special moves are pretty cool looking. If he gets a complete makeover in SFV and be made into a cool, confident cat and not some smiley joke character like old, he can be pretty popular. Especially coz he black and we need more black characters (Dudley is Indian hold dat)

Village

Just because they were in a game that defined a genre doesn't mean some are worth keeping around. I agree that not every SF2 should be thrown away, I just think a small handful are not worth keeping around. Let's face it, characters like Dee Jay and T. Hawk would not keep coming back if they weren't in SF2.

Oh, you are confused

I didn't say I want all of them around, i'm just offering the explanation why.

Like honda's boring ass can fall of a cliff, but people ask for honda because SF2 happened, I have to accept that

Scotia

Banned
Oh, you are confused

I didn't say I want all of them around, i'm just offering the explanation why.

Like honda's boring ass can fall of a cliff, but people ask for honda because SF2 happened, I have to accept that

In that case, yeah I agree with you.

Top Bottom