• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

This game isn't even out yet. It can be another SFXT with the bad press this game is getting.

But this is Capcom, they overshoot everything
I'm certain SFV had a similar proposal drawn up for it. Isn't it convenient that Capcom made an esports league just two years before the next edition of their flagship fighter came out?

I like juri.
And her theme (in a vacuum)
and her gameplay.

She just struggles for damage; the only real good thing she has in v-trigger dash up throw, which has wtf range.
I think she could benefit a lot from having an ex stock fill (like ibuki).

Did I hear it correctly? Leaderboards as qualification? What? That's a terrible way to start a pitch.
They already thought of it with SFV and it failed miserably.

Thats only phase 1 according to the video. In 2.5 months they have to find half the competitors of a normal Capcom Cup for their tournament. I honestly think its the best way to go barring some kind of issue like SFV had with its leaderboards.

Next year they will do a full CPT style circuit.

Like when there's no medium for the sound waves to travel and you can't hear it?

Yeah it's great there.

I mean not as a character theme, it's too subdued compared to her hard hitting sf4 theme.
I realise it's a thematic thing where they wanted to convey that juri is mellowing out a bit, but they subdued it too much.

Just as a song I like it.

This past page has been pretty creepy, tbh.

4772795__e188297988ce060ed77289f0d306731a.jpg

Time to talk about the butts of SFV

Games need to grow before focusing on Esports not the other way around. it worked for SFV it was the next iteration after 7 years of SF4 which wasn't even Esports focus until 2013 with CPT.

You would think they would make minor balance changes with the release of every new character. But they don't even bother to fix issues outside of gameplay. The audio skips and even mutes when playing online, bot's wake up recording still doesn't work properly after a throw and player 2 still have not control.

I'm in a weird situation lol, I have the youtube page open on my browser, I watched the video and didn't close the tab. The video is still there but I suppose I have to go into temp files to get it. If someone can tell me the procedure, I can get it back.

EDIT: Apparently I don't need to.

Pompadour

Did someone save/archive the YT vid?

Honestly, it's not that interesting. The biggest takeaway is what costs what and what kind of profit Capcom USA gets out of it (with 20% royalties going to Marvel and another 20% to Capcom Japan).

I wonder if SFV CPT stuff still requires a royalty payment to Capcom Japan since Capcom USA owns SF outright, I think.

kirblar

Honestly, it's not that interesting. The biggest takeaway is what costs what and what kind of profit Capcom USA gets out of it (with 20% royalties going to Marvel and another 20% to Capcom Japan).

I wonder if SFV CPT stuff still requires a royalty payment to Capcom Japan since Capcom USA owns SF outright, I think.
I love cost based stuff.

Licensing fees are for large Dreamhack-style events, not your mom n pop regional tournament, but I'm sure that'll get leveraged against them.

Pompadour

I love cost based stuff.

Licensing fees are for large Dreamhack-style events, not your mom n pop regional tournament, but I'm sure that'll get leveraged against them.

I watched the video right when I woke up but I don't think Capcom takes a cut of any of that. Ticket prices, etc. go to the tournament owners while Capcom provides the set up (game, console, DLC). Capcom gets the ad revenue, I suppose.

I may be misremembering, though. The biggest thing for me is that, potentially, the dev costs for the 3 CPT costumes, stage, colors, etc. was $300,000. I mean, I think people routinely underestimate how much it costs to develop fighting games but even that surprised me.

Yup. Fuck Ken.

And there's a difference between a throw LOOP and a throw with good range or characters that have the tools to set up ambiguous throws.

And I think you underestimate how good it is, even players like BigBird have openly said that it's cheap.
yes, buts it's a tool on Ken.

Seriously Ken is not that strong man. Biased I know, but he just isn't I'm sorry...I'm not saying there aren't characters who aren't worse mind you.

Zackat

300k for a stage would be absurd. I need some receipts. I can see all the stuff from the CPT bundle costing that much to make I guess... Maybe.

Even they recycled quite a lot of assets for audiences in the stage?
Idk, I may just have been way overestimating the cost of hiring modelers, but the stages, particularly the newer one, definitely seem like a ton of effort went into them.

If I had to guess how much money went into each product, I guess I'd say each CPT costume cost about $70K to make while the stages cost something like $90K.

Keep in mind that we don't know how much DLC they will be producing for those $300k. It could be the same amount as SFV (one stage and three costumes), it could be more, or it could even be less (unlikely IMO). Given the larger cast of MvC:I, I wouldn't be surprised if they intend to have more CPT costumes per season compared to SFV.

Teh Lurv

So Marvel/Capcom wants licencing fees and/or a cut of ad revenue for non-CPT tournys that want to include MvCI? I'm not very knowledgeable about the workings of the FGC tournament scene, but is this normal?

joe2187

Banned
300k for a stage would be absurd. I need some receipts. I can see all the stuff from the CPT bundle costing that much to make I guess... Maybe.

- costume Concept design art
- asset creation
- testing QA
- Stage concept design
- Asset creation
- testing QA
- Stage theme concepts
- stage theme composing
- Testing + Creating patch
- Testing QA of Patch
- Submitting
- re submitting if not approved
- server maintenance
- GAF Complains.

did john d really accidentally post that or was it someone faking his name

pls tell me it was the latter
pls tell me it was the former

There's like a 98% chance that he posted the video.

He most likely meant to keep it private and only accessible to a few people but accidentally left it on public and published the video.

Poor guy's gonna get left behind at this rate.

Top Bottom