• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

AlanOC91

Guys what do I do against people who knock you down and stand next to you and jump before you get up.

This is a strategy I'm starting to see constantly and it's really punishing me.

In my very last match I started to try forward dash through it.

Tips very much appreciated.

Is this very common? I'm using Urien. Don't usually get time to do my anti air kick.

Guys what do I do against people who knock you down and stand next to you and jump before you get up.

This is a strategy I'm starting to see constantly and it's really punishing me.

In my very last match I started to try forward dash through it.

Tips very much appreciated.

Is this very common? I'm using Urien. Don't usually get time to do my anti air kick.
It's a very strong strategy especially online. If you have the reflex for it and if your character has a move that's an invincible anti air (Ryu or Ken's Shoryuken, Juri's Medium Pinwheel, Guile's Flash Kick) then you can do that as a means of hitting them before they can hit you.

But if you don't then you're pretty much forced to play defensive.

When they do that, they have 3 options. They can do a jumping normal right as you're getting up so if you do something that isn't invulnerable, you'll get hit, or you block it and they're at an advantage. They can do an empty jump (do a jump but not actually do anything) and then land and then do a normal that hits low. You'll block standing expecting a jumping normal but they do something to counter that. They can also do a throw or a grab after landing the ground which you can only counter by backdashing, jumping or doing a move that's invulnerable to throws.

It's a legit mindgame on top of a strong offensive tool. Your best bet is probably to just block standing and keep doing that until your reactions are good enough that you can adapt on the fly. Sadly Urien only has the EX headbutt as an invulnerable move but because of how slow it starts up, the opponent MIGHT be able to empty jump and block. So it's not the best strategy here.

AlanOC91

It's a very strong strategy especially online. If you have the reflex for it and if your character has a move that's an invincible anti air (Ryu or Ken's Shoryuken, Juri's Medium Pinwheel, Guile's Flash Kick) then you can do that as a means of hitting them before they can hit you.

But if you don't then you're pretty much forced to play defensive.

When they do that, they have 3 options. They can do a jumping normal right as you're getting up so if you do something that isn't invulnerable, you'll get hit, or you block it and they're at an advantage. They can do an empty jump (do a jump but not actually do anything) and then land and then do a normal that hits low. You'll block standing expecting a jumping normal but they do something to counter that. They can also do a throw or a grab after landing the ground which you can only counter by backdashing, jumping or doing a move that's invulnerable to throws.

It's a legit mindgame on top of a strong offensive tool. Your best bet is probably to just block standing and keep doing that until your reactions are good enough that you can adapt on the fly. Sadly Urien only has the EX headbutt as an invulnerable move but because of how slow it starts up, the opponent MIGHT be able to empty jump and block. So it's not the best strategy here.

Thanks so much for the detailed response! Appreciate it a lot. I'll take in what you said and try practice against it! I've also started to Ex shoulder rush thing to move away from them out of the corner. Varied success. Thanks again! Appreciate it.

So the strategy is stand still when that happens and grab? Sorry if I sound frustrated but it's happening to me constantly. It's like everyone knows to do it against me :/

C1qJJJs.jpg

Thanks so much for the detailed response! Appreciate it a lot. I'll take in what you said and try practice against it! I've also started to Ex shoulder rush thing to move away from them out of the corner. Varied success. Thanks again! Appreciate it.
It's a decent option, but tbh chances are that if you were able to sccessfuly EX shoulder rush out of there then you MIGHT be able to even AA it. Again, it relies on reflexes and the opponent's timings.

It takes time to get used to it but eventually you'll be able to tell whether your opponent's jump timing was legit or not. If it was legit, then you block/invulnerable move. If it was not, then you might be able to risk an AA. Urien's cr.hp is definitely a decent tool if the opponent messed up their jump timing.

You also have the option of just blocking the air normal that they do, and V-reversaling that. Most players are gonna want to continue the pressure off that air normal and try to press big buttons that give them more advantage or let them maintain pressure. A well timed V-reversal can shift the momentum in your direction, giving you space to breath.
This one's decent but the Ken throw loops one was better. Shame that the link for it is now dead and I can't find it anywhere else :(

MCD250

Best version of Guess I'll Die I've seen is from when Bonchan was fighting Verloren at BAM earlier this year. Cammy doesn't even have throw loops like that but Verloren can make that corner pressure seem like the scariest thing in the world.

Pompadour

I dunno about this. A matchup like Guile vs. Gief or Ken would be crazy hard. You have to fight and take risk to get through his zoning and normals, and then you finally do and for a meter he can escape your pressure and reset the whole situation again?

The idea for the wakeup rolls is that they can be thrown just like V-Reversals. But you're right, a match up like Gief vs. Guile would be more of a nightmare if Guile could just roll away.

It might be just me, but Laura and Zangief are really hard to fight as rashid. Also fighting Guile requires a lot of patience and i find it one of the most entertaining match ups.
Wtf is hard about fighting Gief? Damned near all of Rashido's moves push him back out of SPD punish range. Eagle Spike, light Mixer and it feels like even his heavy buttons are all plus on block.

I'd fight Guile 10 times before I fight Rashid, he's an incredibly annoying matchup.

Fuck Ken man, seriously.
Wtf is hard about fighting Gief? Damned near all of Rashido's moves push him back out of SPD punish range. Eagle Spike, light Mixer and it feels like even his heavy buttons are all plus on block.

I'd fight Guile 10 times before I fight Rashid, he's an incredibly annoying matchup.
  • Light Mixer is -2 oB so you definitely shouldn't even be going for an SPD tbh, it's just not worth it if they get a read and neutral jump.
  • Eagle Spike can definitely be punished by a light SPD at least, you just need to walk forward a bit after blocking it.
  • His cr.hp (the 2 hitting one) is -2 oB so you CAN go for an SPD or just do a medium button or good ol cr.lp.
  • His st.hk is -4 oB so you're guaranteed a light. Maybe you can cancel that into lariat.
  • st.hp is neutral oB so.... i dunno.

I was thinking, what if everyone basically becomes stupid. I mean, most characters are pretty buff in trigger, and it would have to be meter management like all V-trigger and Super used at once for Permanent trigger. You would have to factor in your health, the next round, your opponents health etc...

I think it could be quite fun. Or at least have a mode like that for casual play.

also count I know we're supposed to get some SF4 play on, just be busy trying to hit thst next level in V, mind doing some sets later, I need to get much more comfortable in the Laura matchup. Thinking about going to a tourney finally with Sneakers s

yea im down to play some sets

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Has anyone fought a Gold league Guile named Swagneto69? He's the smurfiest motherfucker I've ever played and I've never beat him even one game. His play is absolutely flawless. Or his play style is perfectly suited to ruin me specifically.

Sayad

Love what Capcom did with their characters between mid 90s to early, early 2000s. They used to put a lot of effort into characterization, that's when they started fleshing out older characters(Final Fight, SFII's, MM, ...), stopped basing characters around a single gimmick and tried to give a lot of minor characters their own games.

Capcom of that era would be eating cyanide pills for breakfast if they saw MvCI's Chun. :(

kikiribu

I had no idea Ibuki's bust size was such a concern for people.
Ibuki's design looks vastly inferior with bigger bust size tbh. It makes more sense for her to be petite. Plus I'm not a fan of increasing a character's bust size depending on costume. It's extra stupid and makes no sense. I'd post Tekken 7 Eliza's massively increased bust size on her bikini alt in comparison to her default (default looks way better) but honestly it's so dumb it's not even worth posting.

Top Bottom