• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

There's a guy in that reddit chain who hasn't supposedly turned the game on since Christmas. He's moved on.

It's like seven months, why the fuck are you shitting around a reddit dedicated to a game you don't play anymore?
It's the reason why I've stopped lurkin' around the Reddit spots, too many people that supposedly don't play the game shittin' it up. These dudes need jobs.

When you have Capcom show casing how they will handle SFV and then shitting all over it.

They said they will buff the weak characters. They did the opposite
They said they will adjust light AA and throw loops. They only did on some characters
They announced a third balance update. It was a lazy job.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of why people hate SFV. Just look at the Reddit poll

People want to love this game but Capcom instead is doing baby steps and even them they do something backwards.

kirblar

When you have Capcom show casing how they will handle SFV and then shitting all over it.

They said they will buff the weak characters. They did the opposite
They said they will adjust light AA and throw loops. They only did on some characters

This is just the tip of the iceberg of why people hate SFV. Just look at the Reddit pool

People want to love this game but Capcom instead is doing baby steps and even them they do something backwards.
They did buff weak characters in Season 2. Season 2.5 was a midseason adjustment and in those types of balance patches you'll mostly see nerfs because they're not going to risk overbuffing a character. FANG was the exception since they just reverted a bunch of stuff they knew wouldn't break him.

The game was disappointing at launch. Network and matchmaking issues, lack of single player content, not having the modes and features the previous game had, relatively small launch roster, no rage quit penalties, lack of defensive options, busted legacy controller/stick support. If all you cared about was the online competitive aspect, then you were much better off than the people who like the other modes, SP stuff in people, who had nothing but an unfun survival mode. Alot of this has been addressed, but the mood has been set and it will take a lot of work to turn it around. I fully accept that the launch roster was small as they literally remade everyone from scratch, animations and all. But all the other features that SF4 built up over the years should have been the baseline of what SFV had on the table day 1. Its just an expectation that your sequels carry on the majority of things the previous games had, and SFV simply didn't while still asking for a full $60 at launch.
Thank you. This really helps.

I totally understand the consumer perspective. You always want the previous iteration to be the baseline. I manage software projects for a living and that's just not feasible vast majority of the time. Getting to the state the previous iteration got to required many years of post-launch support, enhancements, and expansions. That would require much longer development time and budget if you're starting from scratch on new technology or a new platform.

Almost every other form of software today is developed in small increments and released in small increments. I personally think we're going to see a lot more of that paradigm in games. The days of large tentpole waterfall projects for software are numbered.

Just got this game after holding off of it for so long because I heard Arcade mode has been datamined. Gotta say I love how smooth some of the animations in the game are. Also, I read a tierlist that said Ibuki was top tier so I bought her and went into a match online for the first time and she's pretty damn good. Can't wait to spend more time with the game as they keep fixing it.

They said they will adjust light AA and throw loops. They did

Fixed that for you.

They never said they were getting rid of jab AA and loops. They said they's adjust them, and they did. They are objectively less effective than they were in season 1...where characters good do them midscreen and they did mad damage/stun.

Couldn't fix this because it makes no sense.

Just off the most diverse top 8 at EVO, possibly ever. No Rogs, Uriens, or Lauras to be seen. Instead we have Chun Li, Dhalsim, and Akuma...characters no one thought were top tier a month ago.

One of the most balanced SF games ever, and it's only a year old.

Producer

Just off the most diverse top 8 at EVO, possibly ever. No Rogs, Uriens, or Lauras to be seen. Instead we have Chun Li, Dhalsim, and Akuma...characters no one thought were top tier a month ago.

One of the most balanced SF games ever, and it's only a year old.

MOV and fchamp are top tier not their characters

JusDoIt

If anything, other fighting game devs need to be taking notes on Capcom's patience when it comes to balancing games. Like it's the one thing you can't really knock SFV for.

They did buff weak characters in Season 2. Season 2.5 was a midseason adjustment and in those types of balance patches you'll mostly see nerfs because they're not going to risk overbuffing a character. FANG was the exception since they just reverted a bunch of stuff they knew wouldn't break him.

Yeah except for Alex and Juri because nobody talked about them. Just like nobody talk about Rashid's, Juri, Bison and Guile jab AA. And even they didn't fix them. Just like throw loops, people complain about Ryu's but failed to address everyone else.

Producer

why doesnt the game let me know people sent me friend requests? Had a few of them in there cuz i never checked. And btw...what is even the purpose of a friend list? Lol. Should let us msg each other at least.

FluxWaveZ

why doesnt the game let me know people sent me friend requests? Had a few of them in there cuz i never checked. And btw...what is even the purpose of a friend list? Lol. Should let us msg each other at least.

Both of these, yeah. It's dumb that you have to manually check if you got a request or not, and it's not like it does much in the first place, so I don't even bother really accepting any anymore.

joe2187

Banned
I had a nice win streak going in unranked, gaining some confidence and happy with my progress I decide to head over to Ranked again and my first match is 4 FPS and Im losing due to roll back and and I cant do a damn thing and all my confidence and happiness evaporates and I just unplug the PS4.

kirblar

Yeah except for Alex and Juri because nobody talked about them. Just like nobody talk about Rashid's, Juri, Bison and Guile jab AA. And even they didn't fix them. Just like throw loops, people complain about Ryu's but failed to address everyone else.
People talked a lot about Alex and Juri, the changes clearly weren't enough.

There may be a deeper fundamental w/ Alex's overall design and Juri's SFV design though. Alex was never a good character in SF3, and has been through 3 revisions so far and is still a pile of butt. It may just be that his kit is the problem. And SFV Juri just does no damage at all.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
After seeing the stages being founded in the files, it made me check out some old stages and I realized that we might not able to get detailed stages with so much personalities.

GaRkPPE.gif

WNF SF5 is currently up:
https://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive

MOV and fchamp are top tier not their characters

Getting top 8 at EVO proves your character is viable regardless of who is using them.

Also, MOV/Fchamp aren't the only people to do well with Chun/Dhalsim this year in CPT.

After seeing the stages being founded in the files, it made me check out some old stages and I realized that we might not able to get detailed stages with so much personalities.

GaRkPPE.gif

SF5 is already filled with stuff like this.

So I'm still a total newbie. Sticking with single player stuff and training for now. One issue I'm having is that I keep accidently hitting the PS button on the DS4. Any advice in regards to this?

JusDoIt

GaRkPPE.gif

To be fair to SFV, I can't think of any fighting game with stages that have more personality than Alpha 2.

Sayad

GaRkPPE.gif
Doesn't SFV have more of this type of interactions than Alpha 2 though?! Those ugly background manikins move a lot.

People talked a lot about Alex and Juri, the changes clearly weren't enough.

There may be a deeper fundamental w/ Alex's overall design and Juri's SFV design though. Alex was never a good character in SF3, and has been through 3 revisions so far and is still a pile of butt. It may just be that his kit is the problem. And SFV Juri just does no damage at all.
His kit has always had potential, but for some reason Capcom always gives him the short end of the stick while others prosper. Why else would his air knee strike go from having a hitbox from frame one (making it a super situational reversal, but a reversal nonetheless) to being an AA special that doesn't even have invul or oki? It's something of a common theme with him.

*Air knee strike goes from being a super situational reversal from frame one in 3S to being exclusively an AA without oki or invul in SFV despite better meterless AAs existing in the game

*Stomps were godlike in 3S all things considered and now only the EX version is really worth anything. Still, none of them have an air hitbox or crossup properties in a game chocked full of ambiguous meterless crossups

*His overhead game got neutered compared to 3S. At least there he had st.HP overhead (which could have comeback using button charge instead of Necalli getting another tool did not need at all) and mp+mk (any moves with some forward momentum are welcome even if they don't crush counter like laura's wheel kick)

*In 3S his AA game was good (could have been great if air knee strike couldn't be parried back then), but good is far better than what he's got now. Shallow jump ins and crossups blow him up for days. Capcom killed his AA jab and made no effort to give him a proper fast AA response for close range. cr.HP is great for far away jump ins, though

*He has been needing special cancels on either of his crouching mediums since his very inception as a character. This is not a foreign concept and if they feel the need to shave off a bit of health and stun to do it that shouldn't be a problem. In SFV he's a bit of a tank and that was not part of his original design in gameplay at least

They made a lot of positive changes to him combo-wise in SFV, but they forgot to give him more of a normal neutral game, a strong AA game (necessary for many characters in SFV) and better oki.

Moaradin

Yeah. Not long ago people were talking about how one of the background NPCs does a shoryuken on the beach stage if you do it with Ken. Took a while before someone found that out as well.

Just got this game after holding off of it for so long because I heard Arcade mode has been datamined. Gotta say I love how smooth some of the animations in the game are. Also, I read a tierlist that said Ibuki was top tier so I bought her and went into a match online for the first time and she's pretty damn good. Can't wait to spend more time with the game as they keep fixing it.
Welcome, frendo. New Ibuki is great. Takes a bit of work starting out but she's got some neat tools.

Make sure to read the fight money thread for easy FM farming tips. There's a lot of it up for grabs. Save you a few real dollars just playing through story modes and what not.

Man I gotta say it feels good to do the win quit in a rematch against people who win quit on you. And when I say that I'm only talking about guys who accept the rematch after a lost and then leave when they win the 2nd game. I got rematches against two guys that did that. Both times I won the first game and waited to see if they would hit rematch. When they did, I left immediately.

Man I gotta say it feels good to do the win quit in a rematch against people who win quit on you. And when I say that I'm only talking about guys who accept the rematch after a lost and then leave when they win the 2nd game. I got rematches against two guys that did that. Both times I won the first game and waited to see if they would hit rematch. When they did, I left immediately.
I like letting it time out in that situation to savour the moment.

Holy Shit, I googled Neogaf lucebuce and apparently people on 4chan even think I'm a shill lol.
At least they got my fucking name right.

lucebuce pretends to be the fake "neutral" guy while constantly playing the game he talks shit about so much (typical SFV player);
Oh it isn't lucebruce? I've been reading it wrong this whole time. I'm sorry man
No worries man.

vulva for SFV GAF Community member of the month in September.
Real question is...why the 12?
Well I can give you a lot of good reasons but the actual one is that I forgot the log in info for the account lucebuce.

EDIT: Scratch that, the account hasn't been activated anyway!

Top Bottom