• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

kitzkozan

I'm starting to think that Capcom will have to re-tune the combo scaling in this game. SFIV's system compared with the damage output and health regen is just causing way too many time outs.

People simply aren't using the most damaging option and thus can't drain 2 health bar.

Busaiku

When MLG did Tekken 6, it was actually pretty well done. But they had RIP handling the commentary, so that defnitely factored into the presentation by having someone that is articulate when it comes to describing what's going on in the screen while sounding articulate.

Example: GM vs Knee

That doesn't seem better at all (didn't sit through all of it, only about 1/2 before YT decided to die on me).
Long periods of no commentating, not talking too much about the match itself, and lack of audience reaction (at least from what I got through).

Part of the problem may have been that I'm not too big on Tekken either.

Again, stuff like Evo commentary is the most hype ever because as others have said, the commentary is good (they talk about the game, the players, the match, and sound excited), the audience is there to make some noise, and of course the matches are excellent.
And it's a PG stream.

Ferrio

Banned
Actually someone in chat made a good suggestion. Split the stream up with two sets of commentators. One for the sterile e-sports, and one with the regular commentators we're used to. Let the viewers decide who they want to listen to.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Lol.

Art: "they're both defensive characters, play full screen, punish full screen"
Lady: "great so.."

Can I ask who the two main commentators are?

Spruchy

Actually someone in chat made a good suggestion. Split the stream up with two sets of commentators. One for the sterile e-sports, and one with the regular commentators we're used to. Let the viewers decide who they want to listen to.

Lol stream 1 would be shut down within an hour due to lack of viewers.

An I late to the party on this are are there some moves that will never hit jumping opponents on wake-up? Hugo's cr. forward always seem to wiff in this situation and Abel's step-kick always give me an air juggle.

And who knows what people will find out in this game, give it time then start complaining.

I'm not complaining dude look at who you quoted. I'm just playing devil advocate for the guy that brought it up.

Not to mention this is a legitimate complaint. People said the same thing for CVS2 as well and people said give it time and guess what? We gave it time and it still ended up in a turtle fest. At least people started to figure out A-Groove custom combo or that game would of ended up being a super turtle fest (thanks east coast!).

P.S You can't exactly compare Marvel to SFxT two completely type of games.
P.S.S I personally think the reason matches are so long is because people still are doing abc/tag combos which imo doesn't do anywhere near as much damage as just ex combos. Meter is so important to damage in this game.

Spruchy

Then that would send a nice clear message wouldn't it?

Yeah but it's not about the viewers man, it's about being "professional" so we can make up for all those years we were pushed around in High School and made fun of for playing video games. eSports.

AAK

That doesn't seem better at all (didn't sit through all of it, only about 1/2 before YT decided to die on me).
Long periods of no commentating, not talking too much about the match itself, and lack of audience reaction (at least from what I got through).

Part of the problem may have been that I'm not too big on Tekken either.

I guess I should have posted a better example, that was a pool play match, but the semi final matches were spectacular. RIP being among America's top 10 players in the US was really good at articulating what each player was fishing for and emphatically calling each progression. MLG took down all the other videos unfortunately :(

Venfayth

See, this is why no one likes esports. :(

When nobody's there, yeah, haha. When there's a main stage with thousands of people in an audience, THAT's fucking incredible. You don't need e-sports to do that (see: evo) but the crowd makes everything. There's almost nobody there because it's so far from the convention center and it isn't exactly a gaming convention anyway.

Not to mention this is IPL's first ever fighting game event. I guarantee you SC2 will be much bigger because they've been doing SC2 for a long time now.

mephixto

Banned
They have a stage for 100 people but they only have 5, it feels awkward. A small place could have been more adecuate and less dead

IpKaiFung

the IPL guys have got good stream quality but they need to take a look at some teamspooky, level up or iplaywinner streams for some ideas. The only thing IPL has over the community streamers is hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gear and manpower.

kitzkozan

I'm not complaining dude look at who you quoted. I'm just playing devil advocate for the guy that brought it up.

Not to mention this is a legitimate complaint. People said the same thing for CVS2 as well and people said give it time and guess what? We gave it time and it still ended up in a turtle fest. At least people started to figure out A-Groove custom combo or that game would of ended up being a super turtle fest (thanks east coast!).

P.S You can't exactly compare Marvel to SFxT two completely type of games.
P.S.S I personally think the reason matches are so long is because people still are doing abc/tag combos which imo doesn't do anywhere near as much damage as just ex combos. Meter is so important to damage in this game.

People just aren't maximizing the damage vs their meter usage. The other problem is trying to play this like it's SFIV and it's not working out well. It's a footsie game sure, but meter is there to maximize the damage by tagging and using super or cross art. ABC/tag should be used when you are low on meter or to safely switch.

kirblar

the IPL guys have got good stream quality but they need to take a look at some teamspooky, level up or iplaywinner streams for some ideas. The only thing IPL has over the community streamers is hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gear and manpower.
The FGC atmosphere is way closer to UFC than it is to Starcraft.

Venfayth

Josh "I just decided to play lame"
Anna "What does that mean?"

Inc Kotaku article about how FGC disrespects disabled players

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
To anyone wondering if Julia has more Mids, her Lp Lp Mp chain is mid, and her lp lp lk chain is low and can be canceled into specials

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The FGC atmosphere is way closer to UFC than it is to Starcraft.

They share sponsorships and I know that some MMA fighters actually do play fighting games. BJ Penn plays SF. Some UFC events even has fighting game setups outside of the arena/building.

kirblar

Oh shit... Now that you put it that way... I might have some problems watching FGC streams now. D:
Hopefully we can avoid having "Condom Depot" sponsor players by plastering ads on the back of their shorts. Sexual harassment lawsuit waiting to happen!

My main worry is the "Blazblue" problem of needing to do very, very long combos in order to do any sort of reasonable damage.

I didn't like BlazBlue for that reason as well. But from what I've seen the damage scaling on SFxT will keep this from being a big issue, if you look at some of the combo videos out there they are often doing only around 50% health and there are some very basic combos in the game that can get you to 30% - 40% in a quickness. So sure, to play at the top level you might need the big combos, but with the damage scaling folks without the elite execution skill should be able to keep up better when compared to say BB.

Venfayth

So is this what MLG is like? Just wondering.

Having been to an MLG event for SC2 and Halo/CoD - not at all. There's thousands of people walking around checking out all the games with multiple mainstages for each game. There's lots of sponsor booths with free stuff (I had free Doritos and Dr. Pepper all weekend) and the crowds are SO hype for the games they're interested in. My friend and I sat down next to a group of halo players who happened to be watching SC2, and even though they weren't there for sc2, they could tell when major shit was going down and we'd all cheer.

The production is similar, but the atmosphere is totally different. This is just fucking dead and pathetic.

Stream quality is pretty damn good on my machine. The commentators are not THAT bad either.

It's just dead in that venue. Crowd energy is a big thing.

I wish they would put the match counts by the players names, like spooky does.

Talamius

Having been to an MLG event for SC2 and Halo/CoD - not at all. There's thousands of people walking around checking out all the games with multiple mainstages for each game. There's lots of sponsor booths with free stuff (I had free Doritos and Dr. Pepper all weekend) and the crowds are SO hype for the games they're interested in. My friend and I sat down next to a group of halo players who happened to be watching SC2, and even though they weren't there for sc2, they could tell when major shit was going down and we'd all cheer.

The production is similar, but the atmosphere is totally different. This is just fucking dead and pathetic.

As someone who mostly watches FGC streams, I enjoyed watching parts of the DOTA 2 Invitational. Tobi Wan was into the commentary and it made a game I knew next to nothing about interesting. The dead crowd and commentators are just sucking the life out of the event.

Top Bottom