• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

they need to have an audience cam and also mic the audience. it looks extremely awkward as if the anouncer girl is talking to an empty stage. or at least make them look into the stream camera when they talk.

im not sure mic'ing two ppl clapping in a gymnasium will make it sound any better.

Ferrio

Banned
Yes it is, people apparently find the game boring without all the "fgc" trimmings. I think that is a shame.

Are you telling me what I'm complaining about?

Look, Evo had NO swearing this year on stream, yet it was presented in such a way that is a 100x better than this.

This is one of the worst displays of one of my favorite things I've ever seen.

Why is watching players like Justin and Alex compete at a high level in a new game bad?

Are you telling me what I'm complaining about?

Look, Evo had NO swearing this year on stream, yet it was presented in such a way that is a 100x better than this.

Not you necessarily, maybe you can list what you think is wrong different to my suggestion? EVO was pretty sterile, and I don't see much difference besides the commentators.
The suggestion seems to be that the event is 'bad' when to me it is about watching the games, which have been very good and efficiently run. I don't think you can deny the "esport sucks" knee jerk general reaction from people.

Why is watching players like Justin and Alex compete at a high level in a new game bad?

It's a case where the presentation is detracting from the overall thing, I would normally be super excited about Valle vs Wong but the commentary is just so tired sounding that it is actually taking away from potential hype.

somepunk

Neo Member
It's a case where the presentation is detracting from the overall thing, I would normally be super excited about Valle vs Wong but the commentary is just so tired sounding that it is actually taking away from potential hype.

I was just about to type a modified version of this. I've been watching for years now, and been to majors, this is painful to watch.

sterile, and I don't see much difference besides the commentators.
The suggestion seems to be that the event is 'bad' when to me it is about watching the games, which have been very good and efficiently run.

Having good commentating is kind of a big part of making streams more entertaining/enjoyable. Also employing spectators/interviewers that actually want to be there helps.

galvatron

The main problem I have with this broadcast is that they haven't figured out who is watching. If you're just doing play-by-play then I'd assume you think the game is too fast to follow and that we're all fairly unfamiliar with these games. In that case, they should define/explain some of the terms that they are using to describe the action. If they think they're talking to fighting game players then get into analysis, since I know what a wall bounce does, etc. The commentators are serve no purpose other than being there, thus legitimizing this contest with the presence of commentators.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Dreamhack or whatever that tournament with French commentary (not this year but previous year where Luffy won) was the best representation of mixture of Esports and the FGC. Commentary was both on point and hype while presentation was much higher than your typical major.

Having good commentating is kind of a big part of making streams more entertaining/enjoyable. Also employing spectators/interviewers that actually want to be there helps.

Fair enough, I'll take that as a point of difference to myself and others then. To me it is all about the actual game and I believe it can stand on its own.

Having a lot of hype can make things great, but taking that away to me does not make it bad.

mephixto

Banned
FGC Stream : 50% game + 25% Commentators + 25% audience = HYPE
IPL Stream : 50% game + 5% Commentator + 0% audience = BORING

AAK

When MLG did Tekken 6, it was actually pretty well done. But they had RIP handling the commentary, so that defnitely factored into the presentation by having someone that is articulate when it comes to describing what's going on in the screen while sounding articulate.

Example: GM vs Knee

Fair enough, I'll take that as a point of difference to myself and others then. To me it is all about the actual game and I believe it can stand on its own.

I guess, i generally don't watch my sports with the volume off.

Good first try? But even small local sf tournaments are more exciting, seems like the producers have never watched tourney streams before.

vocab

FGC Stream : 50% game + 25% Commentators + 25% audience = HYPE
IPL Stream : 50% game + 5% Commentator + 0% audience = BORING

Ya. If you can't feel the hype through the stream, then there is a problem. Though this event isn't even close to having any atmosphere resembling a major.

kirblar

I'm starting to think that Capcom will have to re-tune the combo scaling in this game. SFIV's system compared with the damage output and health regen is just causing way too many time outs.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm starting to think that Capcom will have to re-tune the combo scaling in this game. SFIV's system compared with the damage output and health regen is just causing way too many time outs.

People complained about timeouts in MvC3 too, give it time.

Top Bottom