• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Tizoc

No no, the patch comes July 31, with the 12 new chars

Ah, well as far as Gems are concerned; I never cared for them then, don't care much about them now. I do feel that the auto-gem should have more restrictions though.
I do use Gems tho, but really the game could've been released WITHOUT Gems and...I don't think it'd be any different =P.
Altered damage scaling+guard block guage however? That could make more difference...

Horseress

Ah, well as far as Gems are concerned; I never cared for them then, don't care much about them now. I do feel that the auto-gem should have more restrictions though.
I do use Gems tho, but really the game could've been released WITHOUT Gems and...I don't think it'd be any different =P.
Altered damage scaling+guard block guage however? That could make more difference...

Yea, I don't care about the gems too, and I still like the game, and yes, there are falls, but all games have those, and they are still great!
I'm hype for the new chars and haters can hold that shit ^^

Tizoc

Yea, I don't care about the gems too, and I still like the game, and yes, there are falls, but all games have those, and they are still great!
I'm hype for the new chars and haters can hold that shit ^^

This may be late but congrats on making it to Member status =3
Is it wrong that I am looking forward to DudleyxElenaxChristie 3some doujins?

Horseress

This may be late but congrats on making it to Member status =3
Is it wrong that I am looking forward to DudleyxElenaxChristie 3some doujins?

It's never late, thanks ^^
I'm looking forward to play my fellow Brazilian Blanka, since we all Brazilians are green and have red chest hair, not Elena, she's nothing like us =#

This.

It's hard being a SFxT supporter sometimes. =(

It's hard indeed, but we gotta keep it up, the game is great and we know it, that's enough!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm looking forward to getting the rest of the characters this soon a great deal; but, to be fair I did get the base game for $30 off thanks to Amazon credit so I'm not hurting for how much it costs to get everything.

That, and at the end of the day after all the arguments over DLC, you get more play time out of fighting games than anything outside of an MMORPG. It makes complaining about buying one-time DLC that is gameplay related (characters) kind of academic.

vg260

I was planning on getting these from the beginning, but I'm not really happy with how they're rolling out the gems (& implementation), colors, etc. and feel like I made a dumb call by buying the special edition, as those gems are obsolete (as far as I know). SE was a piece of crap too. Feel like I sunk more than I should have into this already. I'm glad they pushed it up, but I'm content w/ Marvel and SFIV for now.

Xevren

Some of the balance changes are detailed on the SFxT official blog, and translated right here. I still like the game, and it looks like a good step in the right direction.

Horseress

Some of the balance changes are detailed on the SFxT official blog, and translated right here. I still like the game, and it looks like a good step in the right direction.

The tatsu nerf is HUGE for the game improvement (as well as the auto block/tech gems)
No more infinites Ryu/Ken's online, or total scrubs abusing of the assist gems

Ferrio

Banned

Seems like none of that is actually touching the true problem. Don't think any of of that with alleviate the major complaints about the game.

Seems like none of that is actually touching the true problem. Don't think any of of that with alleviate the major complaints about the game.

I agree with this exactly. They need to buff throws, nerf jabs being +3 on block across the board (not just rolento), they need to fix damage scaling, grey health regen, stop timer on cinematic and so much more

Shouta

I wouldn't like adjust grey health and damage scaling all that much myself. You do huge damage if you can connect with your combos but they need to adjust the game so it's possible to do so. Particularly for Tekken characters, they need more stuff so they can really pump up the damage otherwise we'll get mega-lame play like at Evo. I mean it wins sure, but it's boring and uninteresting. Most SF characters are too damn safe too.

Horseress

I agree with this exactly. They need to buff throws, nerf jabs being +3 on block across the board (not just rolento), they need to fix damage scaling, grey health regen, stop timer on cinematic and so much more

This = Street Fighter IV

Stopping time on cinematics will make the game take too long, this would be a stupid way to make the game "better"

This = Street Fighter IV

Stopping time on cinematics will make the game take too long, this would be a stupid way to make the game "better"

Yeah, there's a problem in a game's design when rounds take forever to finish yet most people feel like they aren't long enough.

The initial patch notes don't make me too interested in playing the game again. Would rather see characters get improvements rather than nerfs in a game where people already struggle to beat opponents within the time limit.

stn

I'm really enjoying this game. What team is everyone using? I'm rolling with a combo of Akuma x Heihachi and Ryu x Paul/Guile. Trying to figure out who I really want to use, though I also throw in a bit of Rolento as well. So much fun!

If anyone wants to play on XBL send me a PM! I prefer to play with people who enjoy chatting on the mic and playing endless. I'm East Coast but my connection is generally good with anyone.

ragingnight said:
This = Street Fighter IV

they need to freeze them, but they also need to cut the cinematics on them shorter. switch cancel combos take just as long, if not longer than a combo ending in super could potentially take. imo super combos should always do more damage, while switch cancel combos should be used for the purpose of switching. but right now, switch cancel combos tend to be the most effective for damage.

honestly, i think the damage sits pretty well in this game currently. its just that combo takes way too long. a poke into a simple hit confirm is decent damage in sf4. here, you'll be hit confirming any random poke into a long ass combo that wastes way too much time for pretty amazing damage. if they increase the damage or reduce damage scaling, killing a character off 1 poke hit confirm and then 1 oki would be ridiculous.

to make the game more interesting and more fun, we need more options. not just simply increase damage. there are quite a few under-40-second rounds, so the damage potential is there (i.e. infiltration+laugh vs combofiend+mike "the guy who didn't get to play" ross). we just need to give players more options so it happens more frequently and consistently. people should't be able to play lame and do keepaway for free everytime they get the lifelead.

imo, throws aren't bad in this game necessarily because of the range and speed. they're bad because they do no damage and don't lead to any kind of oki. if someone is in the corner and you throw them = good job you did no damage and now they have the potential to roll out of the corner for free. the way to fix throws imo is to make them unrollable and perhaps have its damage be 100% unrecoverable life.

jabs don't need to be nerfed across the board. quite a few characters don't really have good jabs, and ones that do have amazing jabs such as paul aren't good characters.

Sayah

I think all this game needs to do is take out gems, pandora and game-breaking glitches and it'll be fine. Pandora is tolerable but adding gems was a complete money-making scheme by cashcom that only ended up deteriorating the quality of the game.

And at this point, I don't think most people are willing to buy the DLC characters. They may as well provide them for free to rejuvenate some interest in this game.

My friends and I like to play only Tekken chars in this game and it's a ton of fun. We would play more Tekken 6 as well, but... 'dat netcode. =(

I only use Tekken characters as well. They are way more fun to use despite being underpowered.

Shouta

Switch Cancel combos are the best for damage for Street Fighter characters but a lot of Tekken characters can get 500+ with one or two bars pretty easily without switching. It's just a matter of landing the hit to deal the damage. It's an odd situation that doesn't have a very apparent solution. I definitely think SF characters need to be less safe and Tekken characters given some buffs in that direction to reach equilibrium.

I find rolls on knockdown to be fine. You still can do something about the roll with a jump-back attack but you just have to guess properly. I mean, I can understand why folks would be made about it because it's not something many Capcom games have but it's a plus because it prevents getting dominated by has a huge advantage in that area.

Horseress

I only use Tekken characters as well. They are way more fun to use despite being underpowered.
I don't think the SF characters are better, I think they are easier to play with. We all know how Ryu plays, but we don't know how Law plays in a total new environment for him. Once we take the time to learn, they will be as good as SF characters.
Common, it's easy to see, Heihachi has overheads in his strings, LOTS of Tekken chars have that too, that's a godlike thing that has to be explored, but most people seems kinda lazy about it (or just don't like the game) and just pick Ryu/Rolento/Ken.
And, now with the nerfs on these 3 characters, maybe people start trying the Tekken ones.
And I gotta say, I love the Tekken characters, they are one of the reasons I still like this game a lot.
They are fun as hell, I love the strings, the combo possibilities, they are great!

Booter

I was planning on getting these from the beginning, but I'm not really happy with how they're rolling out the gems (& implementation), colors, etc. and feel like I made a dumb call by buying the special edition, as those gems are obsolete (as far as I know). SE was a piece of crap too. Feel like I sunk more than I should have into this already. I'm glad they pushed it up, but I'm content w/ Marvel and SFIV for now.

I bought the SE to support Capcom and in retrospect I feel like it was a mistake. would've been nice for them to give the people that paid more by buying the SE the DLC chara for free, but it's too much to expect I suppose.

You guys think there will be a game + DLC character bundle for Steam? I have this on PS3 but I'll probably only buy it for PC if there is a special price for the lot.

You guys think there will be a game + DLC character bundle for Steam? I have this on PS3 but I'll probably only buy it for PC if there is a special price for the lot.

I'm hoping for this, or something similar on Amazon. I also asked Tony when/if STxT would see a digital release on Amazon and he said he's working on a deal for when they (Amazon) get capcoms catalogue up there.

His response was;

1. I know we're working on getting all of Capcom's catalog up, this has been a slow process.
2. I'm working on running a sale in conjunction with their products launching on site.
(edited for relevancy)

It would be awesome to see TxSF land on PC too but those scurvy pirates seem to have scared a lot of developers away from PC

hertog

Just encountered the worst player I've ever met online.

He used Ken/Kazuya (fucking original)

He had autoblock on both and easy input on Kazuya.
He only went for air Tatsu's and mashing srk's with ken, en used his easy input to constantly do that mist walking shit with kazuya.
And when I was winning the third round, suddenly a lot of lag kicked in...... and then he beat me with all those cheap tactics.

Never been this salty about a loss before. Well at least he didn't use a Ken/Ryu team.

LakeEarth

Never been this salty about a loss before.
Autoblock man. It's literally the worst idea ever.

I once got into a heated discussion about autoblock on SRK forums, and someone said "if they use autoblock, then they can't get other gems like increased damage or defense", and I just went off on the guy. Every time you see a white flash, that's potential 200-600 damage down the drain. The gem is like a +2000 fortitude gem that lasts the whole round.

Then they go off on "well you can't use meter so you lose damage that way". No. NO! This isn't MvC3 Pheonix we're talking about. You can use all the meter you want, you'll always have more meter behind it. I've faced good autoblock users who super, EX, alpha counter, tag cancel. It doesn't matter. Block 2-3 moves and you're back on the autoblock train.
Lately been using King/Rolento, King is a beast, literally!

I'd suggest Rolento/King. Rolento gets easy hits but has low damage, King has high damage but has a hard time opening people up.

If you start getting random qcb+P while doing jab strings with King, might I suggest the advanced input gem. For some stupid reason they gave that move a downbackx2 shortcut (like an SRK) which makes that thing come out on a hair trigger. The gem gets rid of all shortcuts. Why would you give a quarter circle move the SRK shortcut!?

LakeEarth

On my level (scrub extraordinaire), it doesn't matter much, but I'll give it a shot. :)

For a standard combo, I'd suggest learning to do Rolento's rekkas, and on the 3rd hit, tag into King and do 2-3 knees into his powerbomb (I forget how many he can do). Doing knees takes a little practice, you'll probably accidentally jump a bunch of times before getting used to it. Getting 3 knees into fierce powerbomb is always satisfying.

Nyx

For a standard combo, I'd suggest learning to do Rolento's rekkas, and on the 3rd hit, tag into King and do 2-3 knees into his powerbomb (I forget how many he can do). Doing knees takes a little practice, you'll probably accidentally jump a bunch of times before getting used to it. Getting 3 knees into fierce powerbomb is always satisfying.

Thanks, will try this out for sure!

hertog

Lately been using King/Rolento, King is a beast, literally!

put that 20% damage on a super with king.

use as a punish (if you got 2 bars) with rolento: cr. mk, hk, hk (launcher combo) and King with the cr. mp into super.

That's why you want Rolento as your starting character and King as your anchor. Rolento builds meter and King can spend it.

It'd even put 3 meter-gain gems on Rolento with this team.
Give King 10% damage on launcher by teammate, 20% damage on Super and 10% speed on launcher by teammate and you're good to go

LakeEarth

Any character with a quick animation super should put on the super activated 20% bonus damage gem. If you're animation isn't super long, you get the following mixup with the damage gem on. I always suggest doing a 2-4 hit combo into super to keep the damage scaling low because you do way more non-recoverable damage overall.

Jin's hyper animation waste NINE game seconds. So I wouldn't suggest putting on this gem on him. If you activate that super with 8 seconds left on the timer, you aren't getting that last hit that does like half of the super's damage!

Horseress

Any character with a quick animation super should put on the super activated 20% bonus damage gem. If you're animation isn't super long, you get the following mixup with the damage gem on. I always suggest doing a 2-4 hit combo into super to keep the damage scaling low because you do way more non-recoverable damage overall.

Jin's hyper animation waste NINE game seconds. So I wouldn't suggest putting on this gem on him. If you activate that super with 8 seconds left on the timer, you aren't getting that last hit that does like half of the super's damage!

Are you sure it's nine seconds long?! I don't remember it being that long

Uncle AJ

A member of our scene here in Kansas City just made a post on our Facebook group about how he's fed up with the rest of us ignoring this game in favor of other ones and says he's going to leave because of it.

We all gave the game a fair shot when it came out and formulated our own opinions about it (I actually still enjoy it myself), but it's sad to see someone call the rest of us short-sighted and claim that we're "failing to grow the scene" because we don't support a game that's played at major tournaments. Skullgirls didn't take off with us either, and a couple of guys still lament over the absence of Mortal Kombat, but those few supporters don't try to attack the entire community about it.

The notion that our scene is stagnating because we aren't supporting enough games also bugs me, because I feel the opposite is true: there are more fighting games played at a major competitive level out now than there have been in about 10 years. At some point you have to pick and choose; you can't be godlike at SSF4 AE, UMvC3, SFxT, MK9, SC5, KOF13, Skullgirls, VF5, and Tekken 6, plus P4A, TTT2 and DOA5 coming just around the corner.

Like I said I still enjoy it, but at the same time I feel silly putting practice into a game that no one else is going to challenge me in. I get just as much satisfaction out of nailing UMvC3 combos, and that game has acutal lively competition here.

I really wanted this game to be great. I love the Tekken characters and I feel that Capcom integrated them into their 2D engine in ways that makes sense and they fit in. (probably the biggest concern most people had when the game was first announced) I also appreciate the ease of performing supers and cross arts (one motion instead of two), and charge attacks and CADCs add some interesting depth for advanced players.

But when you get down to the bottom of everything, players want to win and are going to gravitate towards the most effective tactics that the game will allow, and in this case those tactics are standing jab pressure, combos that are easy to hit-confirm over ones that optimize damage, and running away for the last 30 seconds after establishing a life lead.

Here's hoping TxSF will be more successful.

Xevren

I used to do the meetups for fighting games in KC up until health issues kicked in. Do many people play VF locally? Last time I played with em all was when SSF 4 came out.

A member of our scene here in Kansas City just made a post on our Facebook group about how he's fed up with the rest of us ignoring this game in favor of other ones and says he's going to leave because of it.

We all gave the game a fair shot when it came out and formulated our own opinions about it (I actually still enjoy it myself), but it's sad to see someone call the rest of us short-sighted and claim that we're "failing to grow the scene" because we don't support a game that's played at major tournaments. Skullgirls didn't take off with us either, and a couple of guys still lament over the absence of Mortal Kombat, but those few supporters don't try to attack the entire community about it.

The notion that our scene is stagnating because we aren't supporting enough games also bugs me, because I feel the opposite is true: there are more fighting games played at a major competitive level out now than there have been in about 10 years. At some point you have to pick and choose; you can't be godlike at SSF4 AE, UMvC3, SFxT, MK9, SC5, KOF13, Skullgirls, VF5, and Tekken 6, plus P4A, TTT2 and DOA5 coming just around the corner.

Like I said I still enjoy it, but at the same time I feel silly putting practice into a game that no one else is going to challenge me in. I get just as much satisfaction out of nailing UMvC3 combos, and that game has acutal lively competition here.
i think the problem is that people constantly feel the need to troll or remind people that this game is shit, which may influence newcomers from wanting to pick up the game.

the thing with smaller games like skullgirls, vf, and kof to a degree is that despite their communities being smaller, people outside of them still respect the game (and the community).

i mean, sure i can turn off stream chat and ignore all the trolls, but even commentators will take jabs at the game on stream.

Horseress

i think the problem is that people constantly feel the need to troll or remind people that this game is shit, which may influence newcomers from wanting to pick up the game.

I really hope the game gets some fresh new air with the new chars and patch, I'm tired of people trowing shit at this game.
Let's look at the "problems" that those haters like to talk about

Jabs: people seems to pretend they don't know about alpha counter! If you have 1 bar, you can alpha counter the scrub and start your game. If you have 2 bars, you alpha counter and tag the other char, having a full combo possibility. And in this game you build bar doing anything, so it's not that big deal in my opinion, I mean, it's annoying, but it's very "deable".

Timer: the biggest problem is that people are playing SFIV with this game! This game is not meant to be played as you play SFIV.
SFIV is a game very passed, very positional. SFxT is way more like Tekken than SFIV, in the game's passe aspect.
You can't be at the corner, trowing fireballs, zoning and etc all the time. You need to go in to do damage, and you can do lots of damage going in. You need to take more risks. Of course, you can be severely punished, but you can be well rewarded, both way more than SFIV, because IT'S A DIFFERENT GAME, design to be played differently!

i mean, sure i can turn off stream chat and ignore all the trolls, but even commentators will take jabs at the game on stream.

Very true...if the commentator don't like the game, gtfo the mic and give it to who enjoys it.

hertog

I really hope the game gets some fresh new air with the new chars and patch, I'm tired of people trowing shit at this game.
Let's look at the "problems" that those haters like to talk about

Jabs: people seems to pretend they don't know about alpha counter! If you have 1 bar, you can alpha counter the scrub and start your game. If you have 2 bars, you alpha counter and tag the other char, having a full combo possibility. And in this game you build bar doing anything, so it's not that big deal in my opinion, I mean, it's annoying, but it's very "deable".

Timer: the biggest problem is that people are playing SFIV with this game! This game is not meant to be played as you play SFIV.
SFIV is a game very passed, very positional. SFxT is way more like Tekken than SFIV, in the game's passe aspect.
You can't be at the corner, trowing fireballs, zoning and etc all the time. You need to go in to do damage, and you can do lots of damage going in. You need to take more risks. Of course, you can be severely punished, but you can be well rewarded, both way more than SFIV, because IT'S A DIFFERENT GAME, design to be played differently!

Very true...if the commentator don't like the game, gtfo the mic and give it to who enjoys it.

I still think that the cost of one bar is too much for an alpha-counter. Wish they made it a 1/2 or 3/4 bar

i believe the motion is Back, Downback, Down, and then HP? might be HP+HK
thats how to do alpha counters in street fighter alpha. in sfxt, they're called cross counters and the input is forwards + hp+hk. people still call them alpha counters though because the function is basically the same.

Top Bottom