• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Nyx

thats how to do alpha counters in street fighter alpha. in sfxt, they're called cross counters and the input is forwards + hp+hk. people still call them alpha counters though because the function is basically the same.

Ah, this is exactly why I was mistaken the whole time then.

LakeEarth

I only alpha counter specific moves (rekkas, galactic tornado, juri spin kick, Hugo's multi-hit clothesline), and forget they exist any other time.

Alpha counters can't kill in this game either. It just brings the person to 0 health.

Horseress

I only alpha counter specific moves (rekkas, galactic tornado, juri spin kick, Hugo's multi-hit clothesline), and forget they exist any other time.

Alpha counters can't kill in this game either. It just brings the person to 0 health.

Alpha counters are the best "get the fuck outta here" of the game, people need to use it more

Horseress

So, Tomoaki Ayano, the game's producer, talked more about the patch, and more characters will be changed, and some game features as well, here's the link

But I'll post it here to discuss ^^
• Capcom is looking at three key ways to solve the time over problems in SFxT, they are:

- Gray life recovering too fast.
- Increasing damage.
- Making the timer slower.

Nothing is set in stone and it could be a combination of multiple things that they use to fix this issue.

• The upcoming July 31 balance patch has changes for every character in the game. The entire roster is being balanced in different ways, some fighters have a lot or a few changes, but every person has been tweaked.

• The auto-block and auto-tech gems will take up more gem slots than they used to, in addition to the previously announced increased meter usage. Again, even if you block/tech correctly, these gems will still drain your meter.

• The DLC character release date was moved up because of fan and community feedback.

• Making Pandora mode useful is something they're looking into right now. They're aware that many people are not using this mode, and they went on to talk about how powerful Pandora was back in development of the game, especially in combination with gems. During development, whoever got Pandora first ended up winning. In the version of the game that shipped though, it ended up being too weak.

• The July 31st patch will NOT address Pandora.

• Over the next two weeks, they're going to cover more balance changes to the rest of the roster. Check out Capcom-Unity and the Japanese SFxT blog for those updates. We'll also post notes about these updates here on EventHubs.

• Lei and Christie have difference stances they can go into, so they're not exactly friendly for newer players who are just picking up the game.

SUPARSTARX

Good stuff.

I would like some systematic changes as soon as possible though.

Grey life nerf all around.
Ungemmed damage boost / Tweak damage gems to last a bit longer than what they currently do, for characters with low health, their life should go up proportionately with the damage boost for balance.
Remove camera zoom animations on throws and launchers. It's kind of unnecessary and distracting IMO.

Side note: I think meter gains good but a little more would be good to keep up with alpha counters and tag combo efficiency.

AAK

I look forward to this.

Aside form the autoblock gems, I still enjoy this game, even moreso than SFIV. July 31st, here I come :)

Horseress

0185_lum2.gif

The game is fun and we know it, screw the haters
So, I've started playing with Jin, he's so fun! What you guys think could be a good partner to him? I'm playing with Akuma now, but I don't think he's that good in this game

Tizoc

Leave Pandora as is please, no need to buff it or some such.
Actually one way they could utilize it would require them to change a main factor of the game-
basically if you make it so you lose when BOTH your characters are defeated. Of course for this they should up the damage scaling so min. damage is 50%. Pandora can be a power-up activated only when
1- You have 1 character left
2- You have a full meter
Activate pandora to get a small attack, speed and defense boost, your meter gets replaced by a timer. The Pandora state ends when you perform a super, or the timer runs out.
...just my 50 cents >o>

Oh and while we're at it; please don't increase gem slots to 5, 3 is fine as is and is balanced.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I look forward to this.

Aside form the autoblock gems, I still enjoy this game, even moreso than SFIV. July 31st, here I come :)

I can't say I like it more than SSF4, but I'd rather be playing a "fixed" SFxTK. I played (S)SF4 from Summer 2008 until the end of 2011. I love the game but would like to move onto something else from Capcom (UMvC3 is not that game for me) and was disappointed at first how SFxTK was received, then at Capcom for fucking it up with DLC-gate, the Rolento glitch, and the autoblock gems.

Don't you like this game more than SF4 because of the Tekken characters, AAK? Are you even going to care about this game when TTT2 hits?

SUPARSTARX

I think Pandora could use a tweak. Completely sacrifice character but not die. You only get the damage buff.

If you land the combo, you get the damage. If you can't finish people off with Pandora, you lose the character completely stay at <25% life, but you may or may not end up with full meter from the Pandora sacrificing.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I can't wait for the next patch, but I wonder if the FGC will give it a second shot

Sure the patch is free, but I just don't see a lot of people forking over twenty bucks for the character unlock key.

I also wish there was a code for pre-ordering the Vita version...I hate that I now have to wait until the end of October if I want to unlock the PS3 characters by buying it for Vita.

gootecks going in on this game on the bifuteki stream. says the game itself is fun and that people don't know how to play this game. going on about how him and mike ross dedicated so much time on the game and is depressed that everyone hates it.

Sayah

I don't think the SF characters are better, I think they are easier to play with. We all know how Ryu plays, but we don't know how Law plays in a total new environment for him. Once we take the time to learn, they will be as good as SF characters.
Common, it's easy to see, Heihachi has overheads in his strings, LOTS of Tekken chars have that too, that's a godlike thing that has to be explored, but most people seems kinda lazy about it (or just don't like the game) and just pick Ryu/Rolento/Ken.
And, now with the nerfs on these 3 characters, maybe people start trying the Tekken ones.
And I gotta say, I love the Tekken characters, they are one of the reasons I still like this game a lot.
They are fun as hell, I love the strings, the combo possibilities, they are great!

I just find some of the SF characters to be overpowered with some of their tactics. I've learned to deal with the shotos. Most of my problems now stem from grapplers. Too much damage from a single grab. But regardless, I can agree with what you're saying.

The game is fun and we know it, screw the haters

I can wholeheartedly agree with this post as well. :)

gootecks going in on this game on the bifuteki stream. says the game itself is fun and that people don't know how to play this game. going on about how him and mike ross dedicated so much time on the game and is depressed that everyone hates it.

I think a lot of people are playing this game like SFIV which is a problem. And as Horseress said above, a lot of them are just picking Ryu/Ken/SF mains rather than trying out new characters. More than half the roster is freaking completely brand new. EXPLORE IT!

IpKaiFung

I believe the dodgy DLC practices have annoyed people more than the game itself.

The other problem I think there is with the game is that it looks like SF4 and subconsciously people are trying to play it like SF4 with tags.

The other thing is that it's just suffering from new game syndrome which a lot capcom games suffer from where the first version is a bit rough round the edges and also the community hating the game because it's the new one.

I'd like to see the game blossom over time tbh, I've still got my copy.

Although, I keep hearing that people aren't playing the game 'properly'. Proper as is being mentioned hasn't won anything so far. The dominant strategy so far has been, 'play it like a broken Street Fighter and tag every once in a while'

I'd like this game to a be more kinetic analog to SF4 but so far I'm not seeing it

I'd like to see the game blossom over time tbh, I've still got my copy.

Although, I keep hearing that people aren't playing the game 'properly'. Proper as hasn't won anything so far. The dominant strategy so far has been, 'play it like a broken Street Fighter and tag every once in a while'

I'd like this game to a be more kinetic analog to SF4 but so far I'm not seeing it
The counter to anyone who says the game isn't being played properly is: "Why didn't you win Evo?" If someone knows the secret, correct way to play this game, surely they'd like some free money?

IpKaiFung

With the 25th anniversary series I think things will get a lot more interesting. A lot of guys will probably drop marvel or put it on the back burner for the time being since its not at the tournament and put more time into SFxT.

If no one is gonna be playing SFxT may as well since it'll be easy money then.

AAK

Don't you like this game more than SF4 because of the Tekken characters, AAK? Are you even going to care about this game when TTT2 hits?

More than the characters, I am a fan of the meter mechanics in the game.

Simply put, I like 3D fighting game more so simply because of the huge variation of options I have at my disposal during battle. I love having a plethora of moves that lead to different situations in battle. Similarly, I really like having access to 2 characters simultaneously, hence I can be considered to basically be playing a combination of any of 2 characters simultaneously. That's really appealing to me. And secondly, I love the meter management in this game. Everything is expensive, you can't just fire off a low forward,EX-hadoken for pressure. Everything is expensive in this game and has to be worth it, something I love about KOF as well where you can't just waste meter where you won't get any benefits. And even though it is expensive, I have so many things I can do with that meter such as tag cancels, alpha counters, supers, lvl3's, cross assaults, etc. That gives me the feeling that I have options and have more freedom in my gameplay to express myself the way I see the most progressive.

Unfortunately autoblock and the game's lack of balance did ruin things somewhat, so hence this patch makes me feel like this will make this game super fun for me.

As for TTT2, maybe I won't play it as much once it hits, but I don't think I'll abandon it all together. But we'll see. There's still fun to be had with this title IMO :) Tekken is my passion but I play & enjoy all* fighting games for what they bring.

*provided I have the time and funding to pursue them

Shouta

The counter to anyone who says the game isn't being played properly is: "Why didn't you win Evo?" If someone knows the secret, correct way to play this game, surely they'd like some free money?

The predominant play style right now doesn't use everything in the game or to its fullest. You win with it because it's really damn safe though which is why the winner of Evo played like that. It's kind of like going into a fencing duel and having your opponent bring a spear instead of a sword. The game needs to encourage exploration of the system more so making the SF4 style of play a lot more unsafe would be a solid idea, I think.

sleepykyo

Surely coaches would love to be superstars on the field, but they don't physically have it anymore.

I don't think that there was some undiscovered tech that would have made SFxT hugely popular. It's far too slow paced and unforgiving for the modern Capcom crowd. But the it was put to pasture fairly early, when Infiltration won NCR the immediate response should have been introspection not Evo is now 2 on 2.

two of the people that we expected to see do well at evo that probably had tons of tech, tatsu and jibbo, both posted articles about similar issues and both made it pretty far but we didn't get to see either because they only streamed top 4. imo, infiltration was the only one who played right (on stream). lots of people hate on rolento, but watching infilitration do the things he does with that character is pretty amazing and i can't even hate on it. i think we saw maybe only 3 or 4 instances where he used jab pressure.

ricky has great footsies and fundamentals, and it allowed him to reach gf without abusing too much tech. i think he's a bit of an exception to the rule. don't forget he did fairly well at a few majors he entered for mvc3. a game that heavily favours footsies vs a game that doesn't--i think his mvc3 placements should be just as surprising (even though i don't think either of them are).

lastly, don't forget that the game is only 4 months old and that also you needed to have good teamwork (or at the very least a decent partner) for the 2v2 format to make it far. all things considered, i think using evo as the measurement for sfxt tech is a bit silly.

New to FGC.

I bought this when it was released to start out with along with BlazBlue. Haven't really played much because of time and didn't like my cheap stick.

Is there a 1vs1 crowd? I have no interest in 2vs2 and I don't really have any friends into fighting games to just have fun doing 2vs2 with.

New to FGC.

I bought this when it was released to start out with along with BlazBlue. Haven't really played much because of time and didn't like my cheap stick.

Is there a 1vs1 crowd? I have no interest in 2vs2 and I don't really have any friends into fighting games to just have fun doing 2vs2 with.
welcome. online it doesn't really matter. if you join a lobby (i'm not aware of anyone still running gaf lobbies), you can just team up with a random person for 2v2, but most people will just 1v1 or even 1v2. it's pretty fun when you do 1v2 and your opponents are friends talking over voice chat and you can hear them get pissed off at each other.

if you're comfortable with pad, theres no shame in it. i picked up the sfxt pad (couldn't resist the $20 off stream sale), but i still like rocking my ds3 just because i'm used to it and i love the dpad on it.

The predominant play style right now doesn't use everything in the game or to its fullest. You win with it because it's really damn safe though which is why the winner of Evo played like that. It's kind of like going into a fencing duel and having your opponent bring a spear instead of a sword. The game needs to encourage exploration of the system more so making the SF4 style of play a lot more unsafe would be a solid idea, I think.
That may all be true, but why not just think that some things in the game aren't worth using?

Surely coaches would love to be superstars on the field, but they don't physically have it anymore.
Uh, the people making these claims are competitive players, and this is a fighting game. Bad analogy.

two of the people that we expected to see do well at evo that probably had tons of tech, tatsu and jibbo, both posted articles about similar issues and both made it pretty far but we didn't get to see either because they only streamed top 4. imo, infiltration was the only one who played right (on stream). lots of people hate on rolento, but watching infilitration do the things he does with that character is pretty amazing and i can't even hate on it. i think we saw maybe only 3 or 4 instances where he used jab pressure.

ricky has great footsies and fundamentals, and it allowed him to reach gf without abusing too much tech. i think he's a bit of an exception to the rule. don't forget he did fairly well at a few majors he entered for mvc3. a game that heavily favours footsies vs a game that doesn't--i think his mvc3 placements should be just as surprising (even though i don't think either of them are).

lastly, don't forget that the game is only 4 months old and that also you needed to have good teamwork (or at the very least a decent partner) for the 2v2 format to make it far. all things considered, i think using evo as the measurement for sfxt tech is a bit silly.
Evo isn't a measurement for SFxT tech. It's a measurement for who is the best at the game.

welcome. online it doesn't really matter. if you join a lobby (i'm not aware of anyone still running gaf lobbies), you can just team up with a random person for 2v2, but most people will just 1v1 or even 1v2. it's pretty fun when you do 1v2 and your opponents are friends talking over voice chat and you can hear them get pissed off at each other.

if you're comfortable with pad, theres no shame in it. i picked up the sfxt pad (couldn't resist the $20 off stream sale), but i still like rocking my ds3 just because i'm used to it and i love the dpad on it.
So is there a 2v2 online mode only where there's a decent amount of people playing alone?
Can you play two characters on one controller?

Evo isn't a measurement for SFxT tech. It's a measurement for who is the best at the game.
best 2 man team at the 4 month mark, sure. i don't think any of the top4 placers are that ridiculous--all of them are strong players and strong teams. yeah, its sad that tatsu or jibbo didn't make top 4, but its hard to question the the skill level of those that beat them. look at how many top players got knocked out of top 4 from both ae and marvel--granted it is the biggest tournament, it is just one tournament. the "people don't know how to play this game" imo is just the feeling of the players in general, especially those that critique the game.

half a moon said:
So is there a 2v2 online mode only where there's a decent amount of people playing alone?
Can you play two characters on one controller?
if its tag mode, yes you control both characters yourself, albeit not at the same time. if its scramble mode, you'll simply get a cpu ai as your partner (at least for offline, never tried scramble mode online).

sleepykyo

That may all be true, but why not just think that some things in the game aren't worth using?

Uh, the people making these claims are competitive players, and this is a fighting game. Bad analogy.

It was used for the sake of illustrating that someone may have the knowledge but it is otherwise lacking.

TheOGB

Banned
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/...-will-never-receive-mega-man-and-pac-man-dlc/
Ayano: Unfortunately for Xbox 360 users, Mega Man and Pac-Man are exclusive to the PS3 version of the game.

Every game has data on it that is unused. In this case, Street Fighter X Tekken for the Xbox 360 did have the Mega Man and Pac-Man data on it. But, we never intended to release these characters on the 360. They are PS3 exclusives and that was our intention from the very beginning. The are not going to be timed exclusives either, they’re PS3 exclusives.

fuck this game

SUPARSTARX

I don't think that there was some undiscovered tech that would have made SFxT hugely popular. It's far too slow paced and unforgiving for the modern Capcom crowd. But the it was put to pasture fairly early, when Infiltration won NCR the immediate response should have been introspection not Evo is now 2 on 2.

best 2 man team at the 4 month mark, sure. i don't think any of the top4 placers are that ridiculous--all of them are strong players and strong teams. yeah, its sad that tatsu or jibbo didn't make top 4, but its hard to question the the skill level of those that beat them. look at how many top players got knocked out of top 4 from both ae and marvel--granted it is the biggest tournament, it is just one tournament. the "people don't know how to play this game" imo is just the feeling of the players in general, especially those that critique the game.

if its tag mode, yes you control both characters yourself, albeit not at the same time. if its scramble mode, you'll simply get a cpu ai as your partner (at least for offline, never tried scramble mode online).

It was used for the sake of illustrating that someone may have the knowledge but it is otherwise lacking.

Laughiltration had tech and they have said they feel SFxT is a really good game and wanted to show it. It's a pity everyone sucks at the game and were just beaten pretty freely.

On the topic of tech, there's a lot of stuff I just wasn't seeing and you can maybe see better online matches than the Evo top 4 for SFxT. It wasn't even good, Laughiltration basically wrecked everyone. Launchers are pretty good in this game for hit confirms and crushing lows. That's such a fundamentally part of the game, how could nobody used it? And there are integral part of the game that nobody performed, I didn't even see more than one or two Cross Cancels/Alpha Counters for all the streamed matches and few pools recorded. . The level of play aside of Laughiltration is absolutely hard to watch. People can blame the game for being "bad" but IMO the game really isn't. There was one or two timed out rounds streamed and everything else was just a wrecking ball of stuff.

The game isn't perfect, I agree there needs to be some tweaks made like making anti-airs overall faster and allow SF4 type of resets happen more frequently. The air combo stuff was a good idea but I dont' think it plays out that great. There needs to be more reset type of situations and for gems to do more on the offense.

Also, and for Tekken characters to not suffer that much disadvantage on block. They get jumped on so much yet they have really slow upward attacks in general. Their close and midrange game aren't that great. The timer is not even the biggest of balance problems right now. Hopefully the full roster balance will be good. I don't really care about jabs that much but if Alpha counters were faster and people built more meter for it, it would be a pretty good balance cuz you can just shake people off from doing things like that and go for mix up and resets.

Morris

Disco Devil
GGs man, had to bail out.

That was fun even if our connection wasn't as good. Playing Steve / Lili is still fun as hell. Was dropping a lot of links though lol.

Sayah

Yeah, the lag was making me mess up sometimes. But still, very fun games. Saw a lot of good, innovative stuff with Steve/Lili that I haven't ever seen before. And your mixup game is truly brilliant.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
1. Capcom saying Megs and Pac are Sony exclusive sounds about like what they'd say considering the bridge already burned by releasing the other characters early. Don't be surprised of Megaman and Pac Man show up anyway after the Vita game is out.

2. The fact that they're fully playable on the 360 disc, not just 'left over data' really does indicate how powerful were the money hats that Sony tossed around for this one. Gat dammit.

I do realize the characters are 'trash'. Still a rotten thing for Capcom to say, in principle, since it is pretty obvious the pair was supposed to be the special joke mascots for each company. Not platform exclusive shit.

hertog

I just thought of a way to make King a viable character.

Give his Giant Swing normal command throw properties. So it hits high and low, 5 frame start-up,etc.

Make his Shining Wizard an overhead strike into throw (just as his RASC and DDT after the convict-kick).

LakeEarth

Is my xbox dying? Every time I win online, my win quotes take 20 seconds before popping up. I just get to stare at my team holding their win poses for a hilariously long time.

BTW, getting a match takes about 15 years now. One more win and I'm not playing again til the new characters show up.

Sayah

Is my xbox dying? Every time I win online, my win quotes take 20 seconds before popping up. I just get to stare at my team holding their win poses for a hilariously long time.

BTW, getting a match takes about 15 years now. One more win and I'm not playing again til the new characters show up.

I had that happen to me on the PS3 a small number of times before. It's probably just the game.
And yes, I've noticed it takes longer to find matches now.

Top Bottom