• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

nillapuddin

the fact that the costumes do not carry over, is a HUGE misstep in my opinion

wtf were they thinking?

I get that its not New Game + (which, why the fuck not anyways?) but still, refinding all the costumes is a joke, what if you really like a certain color scheme that unlocks near end game, well fuck you then, fight all the way through the game to get it again for 10 minutes

what a joke, I loved the hell out of this game first playthrough, but now Im discouraged from playing it a bunch of times like I wanted

p.s.
this mostly stems from the fact that I hate the color purple

the fact that the costumes do not carry over, is a HUGE misstep in my opinion

wtf were they thinking?

I get that its not New Game + (which, why the fuck not anyways?) but still, refinding all the costumes is a joke, what if you really like a certain color scheme that unlocks near end game, well fuck you then, fight all the way through the game to get it again for 10 minutes

what a joke, I loved the hell out of this game first playthrough, but now Im discouraged from playing it a bunch of times like I wanted

p.s.
this mostly stems from the fact that I hate the color purple

You have to recollect costumes? Lol, what kind of dumbass thought that was a good idea haha.

Okay, well I've been enjoying the crap out of Strider so far... Very very happy with it. Until I got stuck on
Mecha Pon
. So, if anyone has any tips, I'd be more than appreciative, lol. It's really just kicking my ass, and I call upon GAF for help!

EDIT: Nevermind... I just beat him, hahahah! Took just a bit of patience and pattern recognition.

Cypher

WTF? So I bought the game off PSN and downloaded it to my PS4. Been playing and having a blast!

Now I brought over my PS4 to a buddy's to play some Strider at his place, and upon selecting the tile to start the game, I was greeted with:

"Cannot start the application. The PS4 is not connected to the Internet and cannot verify the license for the application".

Are you fucking kidding me? So I can't access the game and start it if the console is offline!?

What a load of shit....do all PSN titles for PS4 need to be tethered online to validate the license just to start it up, or us it just this title? :/

WTF? So I bought the game off PSN and downloaded it to my PS4. Been playing and having a blast!

Now I brought over my PS4 to a buddy's to play some Strider at his place, and upon selecting the tile to start the game, I was greeted with:

"Cannot start the application. The PS4 is not connected to the Internet and cannot verify the license for the application".

Are you fucking kidding me? So I can't access the game and start it if the console is offline!?

What a load of shit....do all PSN titles for PS4 need to be tethered online to validate the license just to start it up, or us it just this title? :/
Not sure what the issue is in your case, but I can start the game just fine without going online.

codhand

wow, fuck this end boss.

subtitles get in the way worse than they did with any other boss.
the camera loses track of the player.

final Steam clock was 12 hrs, spent a good hour and half on the last boss though.

eso76

wait, you don't get a new game+ after the first playthrough ?

Fix this shit quick ! (before i finish my first playthrough, that is)

other than that, game is awesome. I just got to the
gravitarium
so still relatively early in the game, but the way it nods at the original is great, and something Strider 2 completely failed at.

A very good sequel to one of my top 5 favourite games of all times.

codhand

wait, you don't get a new game+ after the first playthrough ?

Fix this shit quick ! (before i finish my first playthrough, that is)

other than that, game is awesome. I just got to the
gravitarium
so still relatively early in the game, but the way it nods at the original is great, and something Strider 2 completely failed at.

A very good sequel to one of my top 5 favourite games of all times.

yeah i still enjoyed it, and would still recommend, but the lack of subtitle option is one of the most blatantly idiotic oversights i can recall

and yeah, New Game Plus would be nice.

Tizoc

Is there really no quicker way to travel between areas? I hate having to go 5-15 minutes in an area to reach its exit.

playing on pc game keeps getting weird. invisible walls stopping me from backtracking sometimes green dorrs stop working until i reload. just a bit confusing nothing overall game breaking.

really started feeling good once i got R1 dash though

I love everything about this game except for the end-boss.
Moving along and between various gravitron balls feels so sluggish and imprecise compared to everything else in the game - especially when trying to avoid a shitton of electrical shocks while making your way to hit the boss tentacle face things.

I tried that battle for a while until I got bored and quit out, and when I resumed the next day I was all the way back to the eagle flight position where you're warned that you can't go back once you proceed. What the hell?

nillapuddin

So I just broke my game...

I beat Solo before I was supposed to (by scaling the exterior wall) and now my game is stuck, I cannot continue...

Did I go the way the game wanted me to go? Not necessarily

Did I cheat my way through the level? No

Should it be able to determine Y/N that Solo is already dead? YES

edit: annnnnd I saved it, thank goodness, sry for the vent yall, it had really been pissing me off (clearly)

And my copy still hasn't even shipped from Play-Asia :|

Come the fuck on, I've been itching to play this for the last week.

Edit: Wow, the "complain to GAF for results" thing strikes again. Literally just switched to "packing order" :lol

This is why im done with PlayAsia as they have to receive it from Japan before they even ship it to you.
Order directly from a Japanese vendor via eBay or something instead.

So I just broke my game...

I beat Solo before I was supposed to (by scaling the exterior wall) and now my game is stuck, I cannot continue...

Did I go the way the game wanted me to go? Not necessarily

Did I cheat my way through the level? No

Should it be able to determine Y/N that Solo is already dead? YES

now ive got to start my run all over again

I was almost caught in this too - I scaled the outside wall as well, but instead of going for Solo I took the eagle to the tower, which subsequently sent me to the prison. Took me a while to eventually get back to Solo - weird that you're stuck though :/

The grandmaster guy talks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fucking much. And he repeats a lot of the same things, it seems. Other then that, enjoying the game so far, liked how the intro (or lack thereof) just throws you in the thick of things without too much setup or tutorial.

This is why im done with PlayAsia as they have to receive it from Japan before they even ship it to you.
Order directly from a Japanese vendor via eBay or something instead.

PA ended up coming through in the long run, they just shipped it out a day after the estimated shipping date since they got their stock later than they estimated.

Speaking of which, This was waiting for me when I got home:

syzC7eh.jpg
AWW YEAH MOTHERFUCKER

Edit: Huh. You essentially have to install the whole game from the disc. Kind of a bummer, considering I don't have much space left (I have a 40GB Hard Drive in my PS3) but whatever, a physical copy is still a physical copy.

RetroMG

Just bought this on Steam, and my Xbox 360 controller won't work. It recognizes the controller, it gives me Xbox button prompts, but nothing when I hit buttons. Anyone else having the issue?

Ramirez

I bought this on a whim last night and started it today, fucking loving it. Never played any of the past Strider games, so I didn't really know what to expect.

I wish you could turn off the subtitled pictures, they tend to get in the way of the action, my only real complaint.

Speedrun of the game on Xbox One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9e2hysfQ1w&feature=share&list=UUVLn-xLMJHky1dHi2eKqZQg

This got me third place in the world.

I will try a new run to see if I can get at least the second :)

Nice job man, 2 hours is a pretty quick run. A friend of mine did it in 3h30m on Hard, but he wasn't even trying to speedrun it lol. I dunno how someone did it in 1h30min, just seems like there's too much ground to cover for that.

I fucking love this game. LOVE IT! It plays like a hybrid between the old-school Strider and old-school Metroid games, and that is aces in my book. DAMN I love this game.

Seriously, if you're STILL on the fence, spend the $15 and get this game. It's brilliant.

codhand

Nice job man, 2 hours is a pretty quick run. A friend of mine did it in 3h30m on Hard, but he wasn't even trying to speedrun it lol. I dunno how someone did it in 1h30min, just seems like there's too much ground to cover for that.

important to note the game clock doesnt reflect your total playtime including deaths. steam does.

MattVT

How long is this game?

I finished it last night with a 65% completion with a time of around 6 hours.
There is a trophy for completing it under 4 hours. So, depending on how much of a completionist you are, the game probably ranges anywhere from 3.5 to 10ish hours, I would estimate.

I finished it last night with a 65% completion with a time of around 6 hours.
There is a trophy for completing it under 4 hours. So, depending on how much of a completionist you are, the game probably ranges anywhere from 3.5 to 10ish hours, I would estimate.

Thanks, I feel like a bad person for not getting it right now thinking it will be free on PS+ in the future

Not sure what to do

Footos22

My first run on hard took me 8 hours bang on and.that was with 96% completion. My second run took 2 1/2 hours. Only collected a few things

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Is this a metroidvania style game? Never played any Strider game before.

It has a metroidvania world map gated by certain weapon powers you must collect. Combat is faster and more hectic than most metroidvanias, with enemies not allowing time to dawdle. There are basic health and energy upgrades, but your primary attack is a sword which eventually gains multiple modes.

Only the NES Strider was kind of a metroid game. The arcade games are linear levels and all action.

Tizoc

OK the final boss is driving me bonkers
True Meio
Any tips to help defeat him easily? I've figured his aptterns but actually damaging him is tough when he starts sending his freaking dragons at me. Why they thought this would work as a final boss idea is beyond me. It is unnecessaril frustrating

VariantX

Just started playing on Hard to get the last trophy and nearly 3 hours in and about 2/3rds through the game I can safely say that the regular soldiers are far more deadly than any of the bosses so far. The shotgun and machinegun guy can strip you of half your life before you even realized it was gone. Had it happen to me a few times in those narrow hallway room transitions where there's almost no room to dodge + the camera hasn't adjusted yet so you cant even see the trajectory of the bullets coming at you.

OK the final boss is driving me bonkers
True Meio
Any tips to help defeat him easily? I've figured his aptterns but actually damaging him is tough when he starts sending his freaking dragons at me. Why they thought this would work as a final boss idea is beyond me. It is unnecessaril frustrating

Gonna spoiler this whole deal for posterity.

When his snake arms come out, stand on the opposite side of one of the gravity balls facing the ring that shoots you inward. Jump boost toward the ring and just keep holding the left thumbstick toward the ring so that you keep 'floating' in between the ring and the gravity ball. Once the electricity circles the gravity ball twice, let yourself fall back into the gravity ball and run around it to the inside, looking for which ball his snake arm is stuck in. Jump/boost over there and smack that snake arm a few times. Rinse/repeat.

You should also be using the boost rings to shoot in and swing your sword at his face when he's in the phase where he comes forward and isn't using the arms. You just boost ring into his face, take a few whacks, double jump/reorient yourself toward the boost ring again, shoot in for a couple more whacks, then skeedaddle to the other side of a gravity ball while he shoots the orange globes out.
He's actually extremely easy once you figure out how to fight him.

Thanks, I feel like a bad person for not getting it right now thinking it will be free on PS+ in the future

Not sure what to do

You should feel like a bad person. ;p Just kidding, but seriously this game is well worth the $15. Unless you're a PC gamer exclusively, and used to ultra-cheap steam sales, $15 for a quality title like this is beyond reasonable, and the devs deserve to be rewarded for such a masterful introduction to metroidvania games on next gen, showing that there is still a place for games like this, and that not everything has to be super-duper-whizz-bang-3D-polycount to be a great game. I absolutely love that the visuals "look" 3D while still retaining 2D gameplay. Of course it's been done before, but Strider does it better than most.

My ONLY gripe would be that the contrast is a bit much in a few places, although that might just be a problem with my particular AV setup.

VariantX

Just finished with all the trophies tonight, though it sucks that all my collectibles and costumes go away upon completion of the game. Would be a godsend to get a New Game+ patch somewhere down the line.
mUpgdDk.jpg

Uploading a little unboxing video of the Special A Class Strider Package here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spr_pES-ums

Here are some photo's of the package, I'm very impressed.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.667468116647712.1073741835.653237434737447&type=1

The package came with a ton of art, posters, props like a mask and patch. It also came with the soundtrack's for all the strider games and a DLC version of Strider 1 and 2, most importantly a physical version of double helixs game.

12827754595_0bedb928bd_b.jpg

12827652095_64b7c474e3_b.jpg

Is it just me but how come the PC version at 1080p doesn't seem all that impressive? Why does the Ps4 screens look cleaner?

It feels like the art style the devs used. I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on a PC.

Is this how the game is?

Edit: Saw some vids. Yeah, looks like that's how it is. Sucks I can't map controls on the keyboard.

Eusis

Daaaamn, nice.

An LE for a Strider game in 2014... who'd have thunk it?
In America or Europe it'd be surprising.

For Japan... frankly, not really, especially from Capcom. They did a really good Dungeons & Dragons one for the arcade game's re-release. It's still nice to see, and I didn't specifically anticipate it happening, but given their prior track record it's more "dammit, I wanted Strider 1 & 2!"

Is it just me but how come the PC version at 1080p doesn't seem all that impressive? Why does the Ps4 screens look cleaner?

It feels like the art style the devs used. I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on a PC.

Is this how the game is?

I wasn't really impressed with the visuals on PS4. It was OK, but could be much better. Probably the multigen development took its toll.

Top Bottom