• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Strong" female characters: This is not the representation we're looking for

Jennipeg

One of the family relationships in Overwatch is between a mother and daughter. Ana (the mom) is a really delightful character. While OW certainly isn't story focused, it has made for some fun interactions and really hits home how absent this type of relationship is in a good bit of media.

It actually even brings up another point with female characters, and that's the role older women play. Talk about nonexistent.

Yeah, this is the type of thing I was musing on when I brought it up. I guess Yennefer could count, Ciri isn't biological and she isn't a child, but Yennefer considers her a daughter and that is her motivation in the game.

This is a good opportunity to say how much I love Yennefer in general, I'm also of the opinion that characters don't need to be likeable. Yen certainly isn't likeable but I get all starry eyed when I think of her lol.

Not sure if this is a spoiler but in Bound,
the woman who is revisiting her memories through the book she drew as a child is an expectant mother. I think that plays into her trying to get in contact with her father.

Thanks, thats interesting, I haven't got round to bound yet but I will check it out.

Arya was already long-gone once she started turning her revenge list into a bedtime ritual.

I'm also hoping she never runs into Sansa, because her logic might get twisted so much that she ends up blaming her for everything that happened (even though she was partly at fault, though not intentionally).

Nah, I'm still holding out hope for my girl. Even she doesn't believe she hates The Hound anymore. That said,
Sansa is totally to blame for their father dying, but hey she was a stupid little girl.

Yes, that's obvious. I thought anyone who used the term "strong female character" knew that. I guess I was wrong?

You'd think.

Tropes are all over the place for both Male and Female characters. Both are equally cast typed. The biggest difference is that they're actually writing more female leads now so it's more noticeable.

Two Words

Wait, do you really think a girl can get pretty much any guy she wants just by talking to him long enough?

See how ridiculous that sounds?
Yes, that is far more realistic. Lets not pretend that the sexual dynamics between males and females are different. This goes beyond humanity. Females of a species have to be selective because sex and reproduction are a huge cost to it. For the male, sex and reproduction have no cost.

I mean, I don't know why this is such a shock to you. If a man and woman of similar attraction were making a race to have sex with as many strangers as possible of the opposite sex in a week, the woman would be finding somebody every day and the man wouldn't.

When a girl I know asked about a game for her nephew in Twitter, she said that wanted a game with a strong female lead because she wanted to teach him morals and values and how important is to have strong female protagonists and that males can play as females I guess. a game for ps4 by the way.

As soon as I saw this I recommended TLOU to her immediately, because honestly I can't think of a better female character than Ellie out of all the games I've played. Not only is she "strong" in the badass sense of the word, but also a very well written and acted character that puts most of the female representation in gaming to shame.

Well, she didn't care about my recommendation and got him Tomb Raider instead.

Who's at fault now? Are you really trying to teach a lesson in feminism through fucking Tomb Raider?

Don't blame the medium later when not even you know what "a strong female character" should be

Unless the girl with the nephew in question is the very same OP, I don't have a clue what this has to do with anything. The OP seems to have a pretty clear idea what a "strong (well written) female character" is, how do your friend's game-buying decisions invalidate that?

Tosyn_88

If Druckmann wanted to reduce the amount of violence in Uncharted, he would make it more exploratory and puzzle-oriented as opposed to just filling it with long walking sections. The pacing of Uncharted 4 was all over the place and felt poorly directed in a lot of spots, and I don't think we can credit that to Druckmann wanting to appease Anita.

Not necessarily appeasing her as you say because he was already going in that direction anyways. I would say more like, he took to heart her critic and tried to do something interesting about it. Also hindsight is 20/20, finding puzzle loops that can replicate the premise of Uncharted both narratively and gameplay wise isn't as easy as you say. I remember people kept complaining about those puzzles from Uncharted 3 hence why you see they were changed again for 4. People don't seem to understand that the developers also struggle with creative ideas as we do. I remember the constant noise about removing the supernatural elements from Uncharted, they finally did and I don't it was worse for it

Jennipeg

Curious as to why you'd pick Ashe over Fran.

I think Fran has a much better character arc a la the visit to the Viera village than Ashe does throughout most of the game.

One thing I like about Ashe is that she is grieving for her husband, it seems rare to see a woman experience the loss of a man, its normally the other way around in games.

Lady Gaia

Solid OP. There's a general problem in gameplay design that combat is the primary activity in most games, so that skews characterization somewhat, but your point still stands.

What lol? What makes that more realistic than if a guy did it??

Members of either sex can have near universal appeal, but intimacy has more significant consequences and risks for women, which is why we're naturally more wary of romantic approaches.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Yes, that is far more realistic. Lets not pretend that the sexual dynamics between males and females are different. This goes beyond humanity. Females of a species have to be selective because sex and reproduction are a huge cost to it. For the male, sex and reproduction have no cost.

I mean, I don't know why this is such a shock to you. If a man and woman of similar attraction were making a race to have sex with as many strangers as possible of the opposite sex in a week, the woman would be finding somebody every day and the man wouldn't.

Uh...

Are you even listening to yourself when you type this stuff out? You're acting as though every woman thinks of the IDEAL BABY MAKER whenever they approach a man. That's just not true. You can't apply that dumbass logic to every woman.

Men can have just as easy a time finding women to have sex with as women to men. Just like women can have just as easy of a time being REJECTED by men as men to women.

I'm not sure what happened to you or what you saw for your perspective to be this skewed, but you are definitely in the wrong here.

You'd think.

Not really

I think part of the issue is that "strong" when talking about male characters refers to physical strength, strength of will, strength of determination, etc, while when it's about female characters "strong" refers to characterization. Both groups are using the same words, in seemingly the same way, and talking about completely different things.

For instance this thread is almost primarily about characterization and avoiding tropes and archetypes. If the equivalent was written about male characters the title would be "Well written male characters"

I think we need to decide on how to use the word, or be very specific about which meaning we're referring to

Jennipeg

I don't know what people found offensive about Luna, but she's a terrible character.

She is extremely uninteresting and has little characterization.

When (Spoilers for FFXV)
Luna dies I felt nothing. I only felt bad for Noctus.
that because they but little effort into her in the game and in the external media.

Edit: also, good article OP.

I think Luna is so terrible that
I didn't even feel bad for Noctis, what was he really upset about? I swear he didn't even know her, and to see him more emotional over her than his father gave me rage.

Not necessarily appeasing her as you say because he was already going in that direction anyways. I would say more like, he took to heart her critic and tried to do something interesting about it. Also hindsight is 20/20, finding puzzle loops that can replicate the premise of Uncharted both narratively and gameplay wise isn't as easy as you say. I remember people kept complaining about those puzzles from Uncharted 3 hence why you see they were changed again for 4. People don't seem to understand that the developers also struggle with creative ideas as we do. I remember the constant noise about removing the supernatural elements from Uncharted, they finally did and I don't it was worse for it

As a writer myself, I understand the creative struggles all too well. I personally just don't think that the walking sections were an attempt to curb the violence in the Uncharted series, considering that the game itself was overall no more or less violent than any of the others. I was still breaking necks and leaving corpses out in the sun, I was still punching men to death, I was still excited to pick up a BFG that I could tear through tougher enemies with. There were still bombastic action scenes resulting in fiery deaths of no-name characters, and there were still many moments where the protagonists were held up at gunpoint.

I didn't even feel bad for Noctis, what was he really upset about? I swear he didn't even know her, and to see him more emotional over her than his father gave me rage.

Their whole relationship was terrible, which is bizarre because they literally did something similar with Tidus and Yuna, who didn't even know each other beforehand, yet somehow had a MUCH stronger and more understandable bond

SephLuis

I think the biggest issue is that we rarely see good and complex characters of any kind and marketing likes to sell many characters as if they are that. It's as OP mentioned: "Strong female character" became a brand to sell your product instead of actual good and interesting characters. That pretty much happens with most characters in the medium though.

Sometimes the type of game won't allow for too much time spent on developing them. For example, If your game has 6 hours your time for the characters is greatly reduced if compared to a RPG. I would say not every game needs them too, after all, sometimes the story and characters aren't the focus of a game.

Excellent essay OP!

From the number of games that I've played, only very few female characters has come to my mind that I've found interesting.

- I like Estelle from Trails in the Sky FC

Did you ever played Trails in the Sky SC ? Estelle grows a lot in that game and became a much better character IMO.

MKIL65

Did you ever played Trails in the Sky SC ? Estelle grows a lot in that game and became a much better character IMO.

I have! I really enjoyed the
beach scene with her and Joshua.

But overall, I liked her more in FC for some reason. I'm excited for The 3rd.

rataven

While I completely agree that their development fell short, they did have a few interactions when they were younger, bonding over a book or a legend or something. I can't even really remember what it was now and I only played the game two months ago.

But I think the idea was to convey they had some kind of childhood friendship. It totally missed the mark obviously, but maybe something they'll expand on later.

Jennipeg

Their whole relationship was terrible, which is bizarre because they literally did something similar with Tidus and Yuna, who didn't even know each other beforehand, yet somehow had a MUCH stronger and more understandable bond

This annoyed a big defender of XV but Luna is a poor man's Yuna in my opinion. Except she has no personality, no development, no ambition beyond serving her wonderful king and no dialogue unrelated to that goal. Its amazing how irritated I still am about her lol.

While I completely agree that their development fell short, they did have a few interactions when they were younger, bonding over a book or a legend or something. I can't even really remember what it was now and I only played the game two months ago.

But I think the idea was to convey they had some kind of childhood friendship. It totally missed the mark obviously, but maybe something they'll expand on later.

Yeah I see the intention, but when I think of the messages they sent to each other it makes me laugh. Like we are supposed to believe they have maintained their close childhood bond through such shallow correspondence. Like most things in XV, its a good idea badly executed. This is why I shouldn't talk about this game, it winds me up.

Other than Kat from Gravity Rush, best game character ever, I also like Max from Life is Strange.

After playing the game, I feel like I know her, she seems like a real person, not just a game character.

JulianImp

This is eye-opening to me because, for all the time I've spent discussing female characters and feminist character representation, it was never apparent to me that people have been using "strong female character" to represent some kind of badass or power fantasy.

Well, Bayonetta and Samus Aran (pre-Other M, of course) are often considered "strong female characters", and that basically boils down to them being badass and the former being sexy and proud of it, which speaks volumes about the misguided perception of what constitutes a "strong" character, making it look like it's more about the character being in control rather than being well-written to the point the audience can empathize with parts of their character and the dilemmas they face. I never thought about likening the protrayal of "strong" female characters to the blaxploitation phase in movies (which I'm not that knowledgeable about, though), but I've heard it didn't really help black character stereotypes in general, and the general public's perception of black characters in fiction, so it might actually be a pretty fair comparison to how games keep giving us female characters that are strong in the same misguided sense.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Final Fantasy females are neither strong or good. They're made to be pretty. Personality and character arcs aren't even of secondary importance to them. The same can be said for most male FF protagonists but not all.
Terra, Edea, Yuna, Ashe, Agrias, Meliadoul, Garnet?

Tosyn_88

As a writer myself, I understand the creative struggles all too well. I personally just don't think that the walking sections were an attempt to curb the violence in the Uncharted series, considering that the game itself was overall no more or less violent than any of the others. I was still breaking necks and leaving corpses out in the sun, I was still punching men to death, I was still excited to pick up a BFG that I could tear through tougher enemies with. There were still bombastic action scenes resulting in fiery deaths of no-name characters, and there were still many moments where the protagonists were held up at gunpoint.

I suppose it is one of those cases where perfection cannot be attained, but it isn't bad to strive for it. Both TLOU and Uncharted 4 still had unreal number of kills but compared to some other games within the same genre, I mean compare TLOU to say Dead Rising for example in terms of body count.

With regards to strong or rather appealing characters, I would mention Yennefer from the Witcher 3. She wasn't overly sexualised, her appearance struck a balance which seem consistent within her sorceress gang, she was annoying but also very reasonable, impulsive and decisive, the kind of character that reminds you of a women you have met or dealt with at work or somewhere. At the same time, you can tell she was a genuine person who cared for Geralt and Ciri, she definitely was complex, power hungry go getter yet also still endearing.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Just finished up xenoblade chronicles x and what really surprised me when i finished the game was how solid both the female leads were. Lin and Elma were both very no nonsense characters with a surprisingly rich background hidden away in their affinity missions.

Honestly the more I think about it XCX has so many female characters and none of them are really compromised by the typical bullshit. It's kinda funny actually but because you play a silent protagonist it effectively makes Elma the protagonist, she does all the cool shit that makes the plot move along has real character development, motivations, goals and she is basically the chosen one.

Oddly enough a lot of JRPGs have characters just like her. I think fans and out of game materials have given JRPGs a bad rep for this stuff.

PSqueak

Banned
The problem is that people indeed have taken the phrase "Strong [female] Character" literally when ideally when you talk about "Strong characters" they don't mean literally strong "badass" characters, but a round, full, complex, meaningful character, which is "strong" as opposed to "one dimensional".

So people make "badass, ass kicking literally strong women" characters that are still one dimensional.

lmao @ the dudes in the comments who are yelling at me for being a bad feminist

But how can you be a good feminist when you're a woman? Only men get to be good at stuff.

Great article, though, seriously. The part about the good old "well she's weak but she has a strong character we promise!!" excuse particularly resonates with me.

Terra, Edea, Yuna, Ashe, Agrias, Meliadoul, Garnet?

I'm not sure that poster has played an FF game before

The problem is that people indeed have taken the phrase "Strong [female] Character" literally when ideally when you talk about "Strong characters" they don't mean literally strong "badass" characters, but a round, full, complex, meaningful character, which is "strong" as opposed to "one dimensional".

So people make "badass, ass kicking literally strong women" characters that are still one dimensional.

It makes me sad that I said just this and no one seems to notice ;_;
But yeah, OP is talking about characterization and commenting on it being mistaken for strength

When a girl I know asked about a game for her nephew in Twitter, she said that wanted a game with a strong female lead because she wanted to teach him morals and values and how important is to have strong female protagonists and that males can play as females I guess. a game for ps4 by the way.

As soon as I saw this I recommended TLOU to her immediately, because honestly I can't think of a better female character than Ellie out of all the games I've played. Not only is she "strong" in the badass sense of the word, but also a very well written and acted character that puts most of the female representation in gaming to shame.

Well, she didn't care about my recommendation and got him Tomb Raider instead.

Who's at fault now? Are you really trying to teach a lesson in feminism through fucking Tomb Raider?

Don't blame the medium later when not even you know what "a strong female character" should be

I can understand why the general audience would be drawn to Lara than Ellie at a glance. I let my soon to be 5 year old niece fly around in Gravity Rush 2. I don't let her really do much more than that because using two analog sticks and literally flipping the perspective upside down is too much for her to really process and play properly. Her comments are usually, "Cool!", "She's pretty!", "she's a superhero!" and "Is she speaking spanish?". It seems really superficial, but I think the best way to go at it is design something that grabs their attention first, then let them dive in and start slowly comprehending what is in front of them. People want to be allured and entertained before "pretentiousness" so to speak. In that things might not be as important to them at a glance. Of course my niece is still far from being able to play the game, especially since
there is a boss that looks straight out of the movie Akira. It's nightmare fuel for people even my age.

Astral Dog

Sometimes I don't even need strong women .... I juyt need diversity.

Like if there is a hot woman who likes to dress sexy, make one ugly who also wants to dress sexy and a hot woman who dress pratical
images

Hmm :p

Cloukyo

Banned
I love how people think videogame writing in general follows any sort of literary standard.

It'd be nice to have well written female characters.

It'd also be nice to have well written male characters.

I'd be nice to have well written characters in general.

If you look at games as individual units rather than using a broad brush you'll see games with badly written women usually also have badly written men.

rataven

I suppose it is one of those cases where perfection cannot be attained, but it isn't bad to strive for it. Both TLOU and Uncharted 4 still had unreal number of kills but compared to some other games within the same genre, I mean compare TLOU to say Dead Rising for example in terms of body count.

With regards to strong or rather appealing characters, I would mention Yennefer from the Witcher 3. She wasn't overly sexualised, her appearance struck a balance which seem consistent within her sorceress gang, she was annoying but also very reasonable, impulsive and decisive, the kind of character that reminds you of a women you have met or dealt with at work or somewhere. At the same time, you can tell she was a genuine person who cared for Geralt and Ciri, she definitely was complex, power hungry go getter yet also still endearing.

Yeah, Yennefer is a great one. Fantastical world she lives in aside, she felt very real. She's well-rounded and developed, intelligent, sex-positive, and bunch of good stuff. I have a lot of love for Yen.

Yeah, I think framing good female character writing as "female character must be super badass" has caused a lot of problems, because A) it causes a lot of writers to fall into the mindset of "if she can't beat up the bad guys, she isn't any good" and B) audiences and the press have bought into it in a lot of cases, so when a female character doesn't show those attributes, they might might shit on the writers for that, even though the whole point of the character is that they're not a fighter.

Here's a great example of strong character writing for a girl. It's from Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans. There's this girl named Atra, who's a cook for a mercenary company and used to be a maid in a brothel. Her dream for the future is to be a house wife and marry a dude who pilots a giant robot and only wants to be a farmer if he has to stop piloting the robot. During combat, she mostly hangs out on a ship or at their base, sometimes handing out food and doing first aid stuff if things are really bad. Nothing special, right? But during one arc in season 1, she deliberately lets herself get captured (and eventually beaten by grown men) so her friend, a super important VIP who's being targeted by a super corrupt organization, can get away, and in the final arc, she drives an APC through a battlefield to get to a political meeting because so many of the guys are dead, injured, or fighting, and the only reason she fails is because a giant robot almost lands on top of them.

If this character was created for a non-RPG game, I don't know if people/critics would care or if they'd just say nothing but "why couldn't she be the protagonist and be blowing shit up," when that's not the point of the character at all.

A strong female character seems more like an archetype now than just a characteristic or trait of a female character.

the push for “strong female characters” continues. Why? Well, in part: most of these “strong female characters” are created by men. I have great respect for male creators who attempt to improve representation of women and minorities in their games, and I don’t doubt that they have the best of intentions; but despite their good intentions, their attempts to create “strong” female characters perpetuate the idea that having “strong” female characters is the pinnacle of representation, as opposed to having female characters who are diverse, complex, well-written and interesting.

This a problem with a lot of characters not just female characters, that is why we get archetypes - it is much easier to write them that way. However, because of cultural bias, audience targeting, and social norms it can be much worse for female characters. The negativity of damsel - of - distress has caused a reaction that fixed that obvious, but not the underlining problem which is characters with no depth some of the time and created a situation were creators can held behind a 'strong female character', and have the female pretty much still become centered around the male mc. She can kickass on a good day, so don't feel saving her 90% percent of the time.

Strong generally refers to both imo because as long as games are centered around violence as a main mechanic how do you have a female lead at all? If they can't handle themselves around all the violence it's significantly more difficult to keep them in positions that can advance the story meaningfully. RPGs often have the group all be capable fighters or the characterization arcs take place awaybfrom fighting so it is easier. But it'll hard to take a game that comprises mostly of shooting shit, strip away the ability for characters to defend themselves and then properly characterize them as well.

The other thing is we rarely see characters reveal their fragility in ways apart from emotions for other characters and people. It's not rare to see a character in panic or emotion because of a situation with another character. But it is much rarer to see a character break down from self doubt, from perpetuating a cycle of violence, from fear of the unknown. Other human components and tendencies. I don't really care for "I'm strong willed and have lots of hero triats, or I'm a coward". I wanna see deeper thoughts and concerns that are personal to characters based on aspects of their life and the immediate world.

Great essay btw.

LordKasual

Banned
The thing is Luna totally works in regards to her role in Final Fantasy XV. She didn't need to be a powerful mage or inhuman fighter, because not every female character is required to be treated as equally powerful (or more so) as the main male leads, because somehow that's "offensive".

The problem was the game's failure to care about Luna as a person. She has the same plot baggage as Yuna and Aerith, but without the humanizing moments to flesh her out.

The tunnel vision hatred for Luna is so silly. Pretty much all the hatred around her has to do with people expecting some perfect heroine situation and being disappointed when she turned out to be something other than their preferred definition of what a "strong" "female character" is supposed to look like. She got little screentime in the game but she got more actual attention than literally every character that isn't one of the bros. And i guess Regis, who wasn't even seen in the actual game outside of CG cutscenes.

Her motivations and personality aren't much different from that of your typical FF heroine OR hero. The only real difference between Luna and a character like Yuna is that Luna isn't a party member. People love to argue otherwise, but couldn't tell me a single hobby of Yuna's that doesn't include being a summoner.

There was no way to generate a personal player connection to Luna outside of just including a massive amount of cutscenes, flashbacks or playable sections, because she isn't directly interacting with Noctis and she has no combat abilities. You were meant to feel a personal connection to her through Noctis' personal feelings. It could have been more fleshed out, but the end result would have ultimately felt the same IMO.

Top Bottom