• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stronghold Kingdoms |OT| Anyone else playing this? (F2P and now on Steam)

Card Boy

Banned
header_292x136.jpg

Developer: FireFly Studios
Publisher: FireFly Studios
Platform: PC (no Mac)
Price: Free to play and download
Genre: MMORTS
Where: www.strongholdkingdoms.com or on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/47410/

Basic overview

In addition to the central theme of castle construction and design, Stronghold Kingdoms incorporates a variety of architectural, economic, military, agricultural, mercantile, industrial and political elements which challenge players ability to prioritize, direct work-flow and resources and administrate their holdings in the manner of a medieval land holder or noble. An individual player's success is not entirely predicated upon the ability to defeat computer-generated enemies, but also upon teamwork with fellow players.

The player begins relatively alone, one village amongst others in a single parish. From this beginning, strategic decisions are made and dialogue established with fellow parish members which introduces the social aspect of Stronghold Kingdoms. All players can vie for stewardship of the parish, dependent on rank. When two or more players wish to be Steward they can negotiate to decide who will take control of the parish, or take it by force, razing out the opposing players village from that parish. If Theology is researched, then monks can be deployed to infiltrate the parish and influence the vote. This is usually referred to as a monk war in the game vernacular. When the successful candidate becomes steward they gain control of the parish army along with the ability to set taxes (tithe), and build the necessary guilds to improve life for all in the parish.

Gameplay Elements

Communication with one's neighbors is vital to a player's advancement and enjoyment of all that Stronghold Kingdoms offers.
Village screen with interface

Starting resources are given to each new player and from that beginning how the village is managed, is essential to building a strong foundation to defend against all enemies. Juggle research to unlock what the castle needs, food, weapons, or basic resources like stone and wood, used to build everything in the castle or village. Use research points to unlock different aspects of the game. Obtain honour peacefully by banqueting or choose an aggressive means by attacking wolf lairs, bandit camps and AI castles. Defend your castle in turn from an attacking enemy AI Siege Camp or enemy players. As the game progresses, honour is accumulated and used to rank higher, but honour can be gained, or lost. If you opt to attack another player, this will cost honour thereby making every decision influence the next.

Screenshots

DeNWV.jpg
Zt24J.jpg

LSrIb.jpg
zIvD7.jpg

Card Boy

Banned
Yeah quick and dirty OT from Wikipedia.

Anyway I just started playing this afew days ago and I'm hooked. It's basically like those browser based Utopia games from the late 90's/early 00's but with graphics. You can trade, build villages, gather resources, do research, invade other people.

Game is better than Stronghold 3. The game currently has 7000 users on Steam and rising, overall it has over 500000 users.

I'm on World 5 and i'm currently a Steward in my Parish, i voted myself in since noone was voting. Now i'm just collecting taxes so i can build more buildings in the capital.

Unless you literally just want to sit at your computer all day, you have to spend money it looks like it. Just having each of your villages being able to queue up 5 buildings at a time saves so much time it looks like.

meh

Card Boy

Banned
You get a 2 day preminum token after the tutorial, it gives enough to reach rank 6 or 7 which is about 28 research points. And you start off with a decent small starter village.

one of the recent strongholds received one of the worst reviews i've ever seen on some site i read. they minced no words in decribing how much they hated it.

going to assume it wasn't this one.

this looks like it would be fun for free in a browser, something i might actually try.

Card Boy

Banned
one of the recent strongholds received one of the worst reviews i've ever seen on some site i read. they minced no words in decribing how much they hated it.

going to assume it wasn't this one.

this looks like it would be fun for free in a browser, something i might actually try.

That was Stronghold 3, which was released in an Alpha state.

Yeah DiscoJr is a client game, it's like 170 meg or something.

Im playing, been for like 3 weeks.

I got on world 3, Ireland. Put me in a parish that was pretty empty, inactive Parish Steward.
I just voted myself in after a week of playing, made a ton of upgrades, and built a ton of new buildings in the Parish. Ive turned the whole Parish around since Ive been in charge :)

I'm one of the smaller Parishes, got a few actives now. We participate the best we can but as far as power goes we have a ways to go.
I'll admit, I spent like $15/20 bucks on crowns. Bought a few packs of cards and used them on resources mostly.
Was able to donate alot to the Parish from this (as well as build alot of nice production/defensive structures for myself) I'm in charge of and boost EVERYONE's resource output by using it to upgrade the wood/stone/apple/archers guild.

Its fun, the chat can be funny and I just leave it running in my browser all day making trades, coordinating tactics to save flags/trade, and build up my own army to conquer the fucking Scotts!!!

I got burned out and stopped playing almost acouple weeks ago. I got 30hrs out of it.

hmm...not sure how many I actually played.

Its usually just "running" so my hours are way into the 400+
I walk by the computer, or go to browse GAF or something and window it and set my traders or something.

Wanna see how far I can take it before I get wiped out :)

FYI guys:

This week we’re highlighting Stronghold Kingdoms as our Featured Free to Play Game of the Week and we recently got a Developer Diary from Simon Bradbury, the lead designer for Stronghold Kingdoms. It is pretty cool, he’s walking through a castle talking about the game. From now until Sunday, any customers who link their Amazon.com account with their Stronghold Kingdoms account will get $20 worth of in game stuff.

www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m2FZVE0GSXN3JS/ref=ent_fb_link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083LD2TE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cheers,
Tony

Luminous_Reaver

Neo Member
I was checking this out here and there, and it seems like a neat free to play game, but the more I read the more I'm starting to feel that it's actually a pay to win game...from what I gather, you can buy the ability to play more often, which in an MMO setting seems totally unbalanced. Is this true? What I'm mostly confused about are the PvP elements as no one has really delved into them very much.

DTKT

I was checking this out here and there, and it seems like a neat free to play game, but the more I read the more I'm starting to feel that it's actually a pay to win game...from what I gather, you can buy the ability to play more often, which in an MMO setting seems totally unbalanced. Is this true? What I'm mostly confused about are the PvP elements as no one has really delved into them very much.

You hit a point where without Premium or cards or plenty of stuff hidden behind a paywall, progress slows down to a crawl. That's what made me stop.

Top Bottom