• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

sw33tclyde said:
I've been buying vinyl off of Amazon for 5 or 6 months now and haven't been disappointed yet. That said, I would like to find some other places to shop around and compare prices. Can you guys suggest some sites to peruse? thanks. :)

I haven't bought vinyl from the following sites, but they both sell plenty of it and I have found them to be very good for other music purchases.

Dusty Groove, focuses on Brazil, latin, soul, jazz, funk, and hip hop.

Forced Exposure, is strongest for more esoteric music but is not limited to that.

Alucrid

Banned
sw33tclyde said:
I've been buying vinyl off of Amazon for 5 or 6 months now and haven't been disappointed yet. That said, I would like to find some other places to shop around and compare prices. Can you guys suggest some sites to peruse? thanks. :)

A good way is to check out artists you like and see what shops they're on. For electronic music I like juno.co.uk, stores like Boomkat, Bleep, and then a bunch of record label sites like Neon Gold, Warp, etc. etc.

ngower said:
1. TORO Y MOI OMGOMGOGMGOGMOMGOM!!!!

2. I just received something from Amazon this past Friday, it was in a decent sized box with bubble wrap, so I'm not sure they've entirely changed their shipping process.

Amazon is quickly becoming my favorite online retailer for vinyl. I like to purchase in store, but the stores around me aren't anything special.

Ah, yes. I hated that packaging...always felt like a lot of waste to me.

teruterubozu said:
I've noticed that LPs are going down in price lately. Vinyl collectors seem to be fading fast.

I sure don't see it. At least not with 90s vinyl, where there are tons of albums I want in the $100-$200 price range (which I'm not willing to pay).

And I have a very large circle of friends and aquaintances and among that group the vinyl collector faction just keeps growing and growing.

Thing about 60s - 80s vinyl is there's just TONS of it. Pressings were huge. Maybe the collectors are starting to realize this. Maybe more people are clearing out their attics and garages, increasing supply and driving down prices.

I honestly don't expect 90s vinyl to ever drop in price across the board.

leroy hacker said:
I haven't bought vinyl from the following sites, but they both sell plenty of it and I have found them to be very good for other music purchases.

Dusty Groove, focuses on Brazil, latin, soul, jazz, funk, and hip hop.

Forced Exposure, is strongest for more esoteric music but is not limited to that.

I've bought from Dusty Groove a few times, and yeah, they're great.

Also, I'd suggest (for smaller bands) to check either their own website or their distributors. When it comes to vinyl, there seems to be a surcharge that Amazon meets that others do not. Half the vinyl I've bought has been direct from artist stores, with extras and digital copies, for the same or lesser price than Amazon asked from some direct shipper.

examples: A.A. Bondy, Joe Pug, Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears.

Can't wait to see what this Hail to the Limbs Newspaper Album looks like. :D

Wow, I just ordered what is purportedly a sealed Europe copy of Sonic Youth's 'Goo' for 8 bucks shipped from a third party Amazon seller.

No matter what version or pressing it is, I got a hell of a deal. Even if it's the box set with the more compressed sound.

Will be interesting to see what shows up.

Apparently Insound.com is the only retailer that can sell Tame Impala's Innerspeaker 2xLP in North America.. so I bit even though it's backordered. I check my bank account after seeing their confirmation email and they've charged me twice. I double checked, I only ordered one copy. Also, from their FAQ:
Q. If I have item(s) on "backorder" when will I be charged?
A. We WILL NOT charge you for your backordered items until they are restocked and ship out to you. Timeframes on backorders vary based on distributor/label.

So they've charged me twice already for an item that may or may not come to me.. what the fuck!?!

Anyone ever bought from them?

From my experience, Insound is pretty bad. I placed an order on Feb 6th and two of the singles I got were put on backorder. I still haven't even heard anything about them. The other part of my order took over two weeks to get here.

Edit: And they've charged me for the backordered singles.

Fuck. Well if they don't get back to me in the few days I'll try to cancel. If it comes down to it I can go to my bank and talk to them. A friend of mine works there, hopefully she can help me.

Black Joe Lewis and the Honey Bears is a band that's a must for the funk/soul/groove bunch. Put it this way: he deserves to be with the Daptone crew. 110% quality.

At first I was all like "I love them, they're great". And then I saw this:

blackjoelewis.jpg

:D x 100.

Alucrid

Banned
afternoon delight said:
Also, I'd suggest (for smaller bands) to check either their own website or their distributors. When it comes to vinyl, there seems to be a surcharge that Amazon meets that others do not. Half the vinyl I've bought has been direct from artist stores, with extras and digital copies, for the same or lesser price than Amazon asked from some direct shipper.

examples: A.A. Bondy, Joe Pug, Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears.

Can't wait to see what this Hail to the Limbs Newspaper Album looks like. :D

I was able to get Bibio's Mind Brokeh preordered for 18 on Amazon as opposed to Warp Records' 25 + S&H which comes out to 32 or so.

My dad gave me an old turntable and mixer. I have about 5 albums on vinyl and I'm thinking about expanding, but I'm dreading the costs involved with getting a nice audio setup before I do. As it is now, I just use headphones :/

Alucrid

Banned
_dementia said:
My dad gave me an old turntable and mixer. I have about 5 albums on vinyl and I'm thinking about expanding, but I'm dreading the costs involved with getting a nice audio setup before I do. As it is now, I just use headphones :/

A good, cheap turntable is about $400, then you just need a phono-preamp and you're set.

ngower

_dementia said:

If you can find a used turntable in good shape, upgrade the cartridge, and buy an older vintage receiver you're well on your way. Definitely can stretch your dollar with used. My set-up's pretty expensive but I've been building it over the years. I'd suggest going to head-fi and asking about how to stretch whatever budget you have. If you can say I have "X" to spend and need "Y" they usually know what's up. That said, they have a tendency to stretch or even break your budget, so make sure you do have some flex room, but don't cave into their consumerism.

I would say you could probably get a nice new pair of speakers for around $200 and buy some used components for no more than $100 total and have a damn good setup, just upgrade as you see fit.

Banzaiaap said:
How's the Pro-Ject Debut III?

I've got it and it's pretty good. The stock cartridge leaves a lot to be desired as far as bass is concerned and I'm using a pretty basic pre-amp, so once I upgrade those I can more accurately give a description. I would say try to demo it if you live anywhere near a hi-fi shop. I've heard the Rega RP1 has re-taken the reigns that the Debut III stole.

Alucrid

Banned
Banzaiaap said:
How's the Pro-Ject Debut III?

That's the good, cheap turntable I had in mind when listing that price point. :lol

Oh. Audio set up. Uh, Audiophile speaker thread maybe?

LProtag

The new local record store here keeps having a 1/5/7 sale. Dollar off your first record, 5 off the second, 7 off the third. I probably should hit this up soon.

Alucrid

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
The new local record store here keeps having a 1/5/7 sale. Dollar off your first record, 5 off the second, 7 off the third. I probably should hit this up soon.

That's really fucking cool. Seems like you'll end up getting one record for 'free' with that deal.

LProtag

Alucrid said:
That's really fucking cool. Seems like you'll end up getting one record for 'free' with that deal.

Yeah, it's sorta like a buy 2 get 1 free deal, but punishes you for getting any really expensive stuff. Still not bad, seems like a good way to give a deal to draw people in but not lose too much.

derder

I need to show you guys a picture of my local recordstore Schoolkids Records.
It went from 95% CDs to 80% Vinyl in about 6 months.

I plan on getting a player (what do you guys call them) and am a complete analog noob.

I have a Onkyo 607 Receiver and would like to spend less than $100. What do you guys recommend?

theBishop

Banned
Alucrid said:
That's the good, cheap turntable I had in mind when listing that price point. :lol

Oh. Audio set up. Uh, Audiophile speaker thread maybe?

I considered that one, but went with the Rega P1 after checking out both. Pro-ject is a little sexier, but Rega's got higher-end parts and a really sturdy build. It's not a night-and-day difference, and they've got the same cartridge. So you can't really go wrong either way.

rep1dustlarge.jpg

Beer Monkey said:
Wow, I just ordered what is purportedly a sealed Europe copy of Sonic Youth's 'Goo' for 8 bucks shipped from a third party Amazon seller.

No matter what version or pressing it is, I got a hell of a deal. Even if it's the box set with the more compressed sound.

Will be interesting to see what shows up.

This arrived, turned out to be a mint, sealed copy of the 2008 out-of-print Europe-only Universal "Back To Black' reissue with download code. For $8.57 shipped from the UK I'm still very happy (this seems to sell for $35 - $40 when it can be found). The sonics are great (despite a little surface noise) and it's physically indistinguishable from the original 1990 issue other than the thicker (180g) vinyl, the dead wax markings and the catalog number on the spine.

I would have been shocked if it had been the 1990 issue, like I said, I'm still pleased.

kZkDCl.jpg

The Shins - Wincing The Night Away (LP)
Radiohead - Pablo Honey (LP)
Radiohead - Go To Sleep/I Am Citizen Insane (7")
Radiohead - The Bends (LP)
MC5 - Kick Out The Jams - (LP)
My Morning Jacket - Z (2xLP)

YYtUWl.jpg

The Black Keys - Thickfreakness (LP)
The Black Keys - Rubber Factory (LP)
The Black Keys - Chulahoma (LP)

SUUuil.jpg

The two records I was most excited about finding...

The Elephant 6 Orchestra - Welcome To Our Story (7", Tour Only, #138/500)
The Flaming Lips - Unconsciously Screamin' EP (Clear LP)

Mmm Black Keys, I have Brothers but I want more. :)

Insound finally shipped my order, should be here Tuesday. Their customer service got back to me pretty quickly, turns out the two charges were something to do with authorization, and went away after a few days. Also responded quickly when I asked for a tracking number. Still I probably won't buy from them again unless they have an exclusive, which was the case this time.

sw33tclyde said:
Mmm Black Keys, I have Brothers but I want more. :)

Insound finally shipped my order, should be here Tuesday. Their customer service got back to me pretty quickly, turns out the two charges were something to do with authorization, and went away after a few days. Also responded quickly when I asked for a tracking number. Still I probably won't buy from them again unless they have an exclusive, which was the case this time.
Here you go, all three of those albums are on sale for $8 each.

http://www.fatpossum.com/store/artist/the-black-keys

Ahh you bastard! I just told myself I wouldn't spend any more money this week and you go posting a deal like that.. shiiiiit.

What kind of shipping did you use on your order(i.e. what the hell is Smart Post)?

I heard it at a friend's place years ago and that's what convinced me to [eventually] get into vinyl. The CD sounds absolutely flat by comparison, even the remastered versions.

I tried out some vinyl MP3 rips of the album that were decent, but they just made me want to get the real thing.

BeeDog

Wow, didn't know there's a vinyl thread here on GAF! Just wanted to share my passion for vinyls by showing a pic of my collection:

b2bYG.jpg

And a bonus pic of some of my picture vinyls. The black smudge to the left is to remove the explicit parts of the pic (tittayz), lulz (the flipside of the vinyl is even more explicit). God, picture vinyls are the coolest things ever:

AOhSY.jpg

If I'm keeping track correctly, I have exactly 367 vinyls + God knows how many CD's and purchased MP3's (far over thousand MP3's, I think).

/music-lovin'

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Last time I was in the city, I wandered into some hole-in-the-wall record store near the west village. Upstairs was your typical CD/DVD section but downstairs, in a dusty, musty basement... were stacks and stacks of used vinyl in every genre. Lots of stuff in dance/electronic/funk genres... unfortunately the guy running the store said that they stopped buying new EDM vinyl a few years ago because everyone in the EDM scene has moved to digital now. Shame :(

STG!

BeeDog said:
Wow, didn't know there's a vinyl thread here on GAF! Just wanted to share my passion for vinyls by showing a pic of my collection:

http://i.imgur.com/b2bYG.jpg

And a bonus pic of some of my picture vinyls. The black smudge to the left is to remove the explicit parts of the pic (tittayz), lulz (the flipside of the vinyl is even more explicit). God, picture vinyls are the coolest things ever:

http://i.imgur.com/AOhSY.jpg

If I'm keeping track correctly, I have exactly 367 vinyls + God knows how many CD's and purchased MP3's (far over thousand MP3's, I think).

/music-lovin'

Very nice collection! What kind of cabinets are you using there?

BeeDog

STG! said:
Very nice collection! What kind of cabinets are you using there?

Thanks! It's actually two square shelves I bought from IKEA (one 2x2, and one 1x2). I can't recall the product name unfortunately, but if you have a local IKEA store, they should have it.

EDIT: It's called the IKEA Expedit, and should be available in all IKEAs. :)

STG!

BeeDog said:
Thanks! It's actually two square shelves I bought from IKEA (one 2x2, and one 1x2). I can't recall the product name unfortunately, but if you have a local IKEA store, they should have it.

Huh, I have an Expedit (5x5) too, but yours looks much different than mine. Plus, it looks elevated a bit, always a plus with those records on the lower cubbies. Did it come with the back wall (as in the part that stops the record from going through the cabinet)?

Mine didn't come with the back wall so I bought some flat boards from Home Depot and nailed it into the unit, then reinforced it with some L brackets.

I really like the whole "decks set on top of the Expedit" look.

oracrest

BeeDog said:

I use the same cabinets for my records, perfect size, with a bit of extra space for those bigger, oddly shaped records and sets.

BeeDog

STG! said:
Huh, I have an Expedit (5x5) too, but yours looks much different than mine. Plus, it looks elevated a bit, always a plus with those records on the lower cubbies. Did it come with the back wall (as in the part that stops the record from going through the cabinet)?

Mine didn't come with the back wall so I bought some flat boards from Home Depot and nailed it into the unit, then reinforced it with some L brackets.

I really like the whole "decks set on top of the Expedit" look.

Yep, it came with back walls (there are grooves where you slot the back wall into). I elevated them myself by buying some blocks and making a "foot" out of the blocks. The first pic shows the foot slightly. :)

I really could be wrong about the Expedit name, but a google picture search on "IKEA expedit" shows the shelf I have.

And thanks again :)

Got my turntable today and got it all set up after some screw ups that resulted in me getting it for free!!!

side story: The belt was around the bottom of the metal plate part and the needle was not put in correctly by its past owner. I thought the belt was supposed to be a red ribbony thing, which was in shreds in the box. First I chatted with Amazon and they barely asked about the problems and just gave me a full refund off the bat, telling me I could keep it. I looked at the side of the box and it had about 5 UPCs covered, so I'm guessing it has come back to them a lot. Then I brought it to a repair place where the guy promptly pointed out both problems at no cost. Thus, free Audio Technica LP60. Can't complain!

-----

So, I'm sitting here listening to the warmest version of "Down by the River" I've ever heard. The sound is pretty incredible--crystal clear but with fat bass and a pumping bass drum. Got Decades yesterday for $9 at Half Price Books, along with Robert Palmer's Sneaking Sally Through The Alley for $3. Amnesiac is coming in from Amazon tomorrow--can't wait to hear that. I think I'm gonna go pick up In Utero from a place near me later.

Very happy with my (free) purchase!

Sorry for the double post but this thread doesn't seem to active!

I've been sitting around listening to records the past two days and I'm blown away. The sound is just incredible.

Got these so far:
--Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (reissue)
--Kraftwerk - Computer World (reissue)
--Flaming Lips - Embryonic
--Radiohead - Amnesiac
--Neil Young - Decades
--Robert Palmer - Sneakin Sally through the Alley
--Nobukazu Takemura -- Sign EP
--Fugazi -- The Argument (reissue)
--Can - Future Days (Reissue)
--Beck - Sea Change
--Pantha Du Prince - Lay In A Shimmer EP
--Nirvana - In Utero (reissue)
--Four Tet - There Is Love In You

With these on the way:
--Boards of Canada - Peel Sessions
--Can - Ege Bamyasi (reissue)
--Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica (reissue)
--Nobukazu Takemura - Hoshi No Koe

I think I'll be set for a while! Selling my CDs helped chop down the cost.

btf1980

I haven't posted my hauls in the last few months, but it's been quite good. This is some of it. I'll split it in two posts. I'll snap pics of the rest later.

Part 1

Bioshocked said:
Here you go, all three of those albums are on sale for $8 each.

http://www.fatpossum.com/store/artist/the-black-keys

Ordered Rubber Factory and thickfreakness, got them in and for some odd reason one song on thickfreakness was skipping. Emailed fatpossum to see how to go about swapping the album for a new copy, and they said they'd send me a new copy, and to keep the defective one. Should have a new copy in the next few days, gave the defective one to a friend of mine who's unemployed(he wanted to take advantage of the sale but couldn't).

Will certainly shop @ www.fatpossum.com again, amazing customer service. Thanks for the heads up Bio.

btf1980 said:
I haven't posted my hauls in the last few months, but it's been quite good. This is some of it. I'll split it in two posts. I'll snap pics of the rest later.

Part 1

Ohhh, I've gotta get some Fela Kuti on vinyl. The rhythm section must sound amazing.

UPS is on its way with Modest Mouse- The Moon and Antarctica reissue. One of my favorite albums of all time, can't wait.

FLEABttn

Banned
Recently picked up:

Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel
Dangerdoom - The Mouse and the Mask
DJ Shadow - Entroducing
Samurai Champloo OST

Though the last two are going back. Defective vinyl. Both skip like crazy. Should get the new Samurai Champloo LP's today and a new DJ Shadow LP on Friday.

Also have on the way this month:

Neon Neon - Stainless Style
Dr Dre - Chronic 2001
Deadmau5 - 4 x 4 = 12
Radiohead - The King of Limbs

nitewulf

BeeDog said:
Yep, it came with back walls (there are grooves where you slot the back wall into). I elevated them myself by buying some blocks and making a "foot" out of the blocks. The first pic shows the foot slightly. :)

I really could be wrong about the Expedit name, but a google picture search on "IKEA expedit" shows the shelf I have.

And thanks again :)
i went to Ikea this weeked, I believe you have the "Billy" shelf...they have the back walls, and the structure is similar to yours, thick panels. The Expedits are quite different.

Top Bottom