• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Suairyu

Banned
Question for those-who-know.

Having just received Gorillaz' new single on 7" but lacking a way to play it, my father has donated his old turntable and hifi. It's old, but he says it still works great. Only thing wrong with it is that the needle is snapped. Would this require an entire cartridge replacement or is it possible to replace just the needle?

The turntable itself is a JVC L-E88, an automatic. The (needle-less) cartridge is a Z-5P.
(Would you recommend getting a different cartridge all together if such a thing is possible?)
(Earlier on in this thread someone mentioned too cheap a turntable can damage the vinyl discs - would this be a model prone to such problems? My Father said the turntable was a good choice at the time, but I have no idea if that is accurate or how that translates to today)

Bonus query: I understand the purpose of the speed toggle, with the options 33, 45 and auto, but there is also a second toggle called "size", which gives the option of 17 or 30 - what's the purpose of this?

Suairyu said:
Question for those-who-know.

Having just received Gorillaz' new single on 7" but lacking a way to play it, my father has donated his old turntable and hifi. It's old, but he says it still works great. Only thing wrong with it is that the needle is snapped. Would this require an entire cartridge replacement or is it possible to replace just the needle?

The turntable itself is a JVC L-E88, an automatic. The (needle-less) cartridge is a Z-5P.
(Would you recommend getting a different cartridge all together if such a thing is possible?)
(Earlier on in this thread someone mentioned too cheap a turntable can damage the vinyl discs - would this be a model prone to such problems? My Father said the turntable was a good choice at the time, but I have no idea if that is accurate or how that translates to today)
I'd say you are good to go with a needle... I am not sure about the second question but I think it is 17 = 7" , 30 = 12" , auto = auto... try it out and you will figure out it soon

Azar

I more or less just inherited a record collection of hundreds to add to the small number I already had. I'm in the process of ripping the vinyl to digital for their owner, and he's gonna pay me in whatever vinyl I want. :D

First thing I pulled out of a crate was near-mint Blood on the Tracks. Is that badass or what.

I should probably work my way back through this thread, but here's something I've been wondering about for awhile: does anyone use vinyl album covers as decoration? The artwork is commonly so stunning that there's a lot of potential there, but I'd want to find a classy way to exhibit them.

ngower

I'm upgrading this holiday season/tax return to a Pro-Ject Debut III. I'm sure I've seen them on here, how do you guys feel about them?

I'm thinking initially of getting the Ortofon 2M Red and down the road upgrading to the Acryl-it platter and upgrading to one of their phono boxes.

ngower said:
I'm upgrading this holiday season/tax return to a Pro-Ject Debut III. I'm sure I've seen them on here, how do you guys feel about them?
It' s a great turntable, but for me a speedbox would be a must as I often play 7"'s and 12"'s inbetween eachother

ngower

I'm not too concerned about that. I'm bringing it down next semester for school and won't be taking too many 7". Likely won't be buying a whole lot either.

I'm looking at about $600 overall without the new phono preamp, so...

Suairyu

Banned
Father just pulled out what remains of his vinyl collection from the loft. All meticulously stored and cared for and blemish free. Lots of classical, some Al Green, Blondie and U2, but the crown jewel as far as I'm concerned is this thing:

ab009u.jpg

One of my favourite albums of all time, right there.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
ngower said:

I'm thinking initially of getting the Ortofon 2M Red and down the road upgrading to the Acryl-it platter and upgrading to one of their phono boxes.

All good except I would instead get either the Cambrideg Audio 54p or NAD PP2 phono preamp over the Pro-Ject.

ngower

Thanks brohams. I think I'm going to opt for the Rega RP1 over the Pro-Ject Debut III and aim to upgrade to a Rega P3 next year, keeping the table stock until the upgrade.

Looking into a new phono preamp though, certainly. Keeping my eyes on the Cambridge Audio and NAD models, might go with an NAD seeing as I have a C326BEE and they might suite each other well.

Stealth

Hey Vinyl-GAF. I just saw a Pro-Ject Debut III at Best Buy in store open box for $300. I have been collecting vinyl since the beginning of the year but do not have a dedicated setup to use them with, and I've been eyeing the Debut III as my go-to for my first table. Is this a good deal, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Also, I know I need to get a preamp for any table before routing it through a receiver. I actually plan on listening to these through headphones in the immediate future, but I know that preamps aren't fitted with a full-size or even 3.5mm headphone jack. I've thought about getting a set of nice bookshelf speakers to start out since my apartment isn't exactly massive, but I'd love some recommendations from people who have recently dipped into this scene as well. So far, my idea is the following:

- Pro-Ject Debut III, possibly reaching for an Ortofon Red or Blue cartridge
- NAD PP2 pre-amp
- Amp of decent quality
- Receiver of some sort: Denon seems to be the best
- Speakers: Swan M200 MkIIIs, Dynaudio 42s, or RC-10s

I'd love a nice 3 speaker B&W setup but it's probably beyond my price/need range. Ideally I'd like to keep the whole kit close to $1000, and definitely under $1500 if that's at all realistic. The table and cartridge are going to put me in for at least $400... so what are the most important pieces beside that I'd need, if even just to start with a direct-to-headphone setup? Appreciate any advice you all can give me.

Stealth

It's sort of like a nor'easter. A nor'easter is a blizzard, but not all blizzards are nor'easters. Receivers all tend to include some powered outputs, but they are not true amps. Likely, I won't need both for my small setup, but I wanted to cover my bases.

WEGGLES

I'm having major static issues. Really crackly when I try to listen to records. Already have a carbon fibre brush, doesn't seem to help.

Anything else worth trying?

Also, just got this in.

http://echotongues.com/

I feel bad about it... paid $2 for shipping. Record was $4. Postage alone was $2.77 and I imagine the record mailers don't come cheap. Hate to see the dude lose money on each one sold :{

Stealth said:
It's sort of like a nor'easter. A nor'easter is a blizzard, but not all blizzards are nor'easters. Receivers all tend to include some powered outputs, but they are not true amps. Likely, I won't need both for my small setup, but I wanted to cover my bases.

i dont get the analogy but i trust you :lol

i wasnt questioning you i was actually curious.

my cheapo turntable has a built in preamp so i just go straight from that to the receiver

but i want to get a pro-ject debut iii in the near future.

WEGGLES said:
I'm having major static issues. Really crackly when I try to listen to records. Already have a carbon fibre brush, doesn't seem to help.

Anything else worth trying?

Also, just got this in.

http://echotongues.com/

I feel bad about it... paid $2 for shipping. Record was $4. Postage alone was $2.77 and I imagine the record mailers don't come cheap. Hate to see the dude lose money on each one sold :{
Really liking this. I might order a copy tomorrow.

WEGGLES

brianjones said:
word

which is preferable?
That I'm not sure. :lol
Depends on your set up. A pre-amp will be smaller than a whole new amp and it will likely be cheaper.

Unless you find an old amp cheap used it'll likely be rather pricey to get one with phono input.
Though, I could be wrong.

STG!

ShineALight said:
Does anyone else use discogs?

Absolutely, but just for buying. I've been a member since '06, right after they added the marketplace (otherwise, I probably would have never joined, lol). I don't have any of my collection listed up as I'm not too much of a fan of how it is listed/displayed, plus I've maintained my own database for years.

Lot's of really great sellers to deal with and fellow collectors to chat with too by the way. :)

ngower

Nice, I always use discogs but didn't ever think to actually use their site to catalog my collection! :lol

I generally buy a record, look up it's origins using discogs, and catalog it in a spreadsheet. I just registered, will be using that over break.

I'll likely be picking up the Project Debut III tonight. I had thought of waiting another month or so and getting the Rega RP1, but I don't really anticipate having either player for more than a couple of years before upgrading again, so to invest too heavily in either isn't that big of a concern. I'll likely sell my older table and use that to upgrade to a nicer cartridge, and will use some of my tax return on upgrades (platter, new preamp).

I've heard mixed reviews but generallt he Debut III seems well received, so I don't envision being disappointed.

[EDIT] Picked up the Debut III today! First impressions are that it sounds pretty good. Definitely notice my preamp (TC-750) is holding it back a bit, will certainly make that upgrade towards the end of the month. Will likely get the acrylic platter and a 2M Red as well, should do me well.

That said, it still sounds rather nice. Bass is lacking a bit, which I'd attribute to the preamp more than anything as it was $60, but I can hear a lot more fluidity if that makes any sense. Doesn't shrill as my last table could, very smooth transitions from high to low and vice versa.

[EDIT] Couple new videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/RevsFan89

As well as my discogs link (which is still being updated, hence it's fairly small size right now) http://www.discogs.com/user/ngower

ngower

Hey btf1980, I remember you saying a while back you sold your CDs and went vinyl exclusively. Where'd you offload all your old CDs? ebay/craigslist? I don't have a whole lot, but I'm thinking about just using my MacBook Pro, ripping in 16bit Apple Lossless (redbook don't go higher than 16bit if I'm not mistaken?) and selling what I've got. I don't object to CDs, but with so many records coming with 320kbps MP3's, plus the record, it sort of makes the CD less and less necessary.

I so love having my Tech 12's set up in the living room of my new place.

So many records I haven't heard in a while. And lately I've taken to ebay to fill in the gaps in my funk collection.

Just paid six bucks for a sealed LP- Sexual Harrassment- "I Need a Freak"

hoverX

Just inherited my mom's boss' collection of jazz LP's. Sadly he passed away a few weeks ago and they are trying to do something with his stuff. No idea what's in the collection yet but he was pretty loaded so i hope there are some gems in there.

hoverX

As far as sound quality goes how do Technic 1200's compare to high end turntables? (I have ortofon needles.)

ngower

They're very versatile, can modify just about everything to make it sounds great. They're well reputed, tanks too from what I've heard.

Banzaiaap said:
I think Bioshocked might like this one :D

Just got this in from Discogs, mint condition.

I love it. I'm turning red with envy...
I don't own any DFA vinyl yet :(

Some recent pick-ups...

CDshhl.jpg

Thom Yorke - Harrowdown Hill
Sufjan Stevens - The BQE

NZDsgl.jpg

Got all these 7"s for $.99 each.
The Dirtbombs/ADULT. - Lost Love/Pray For Pills
The Decemberists - January Hymn/Row Jimmy
Ha Ha Tonka - Walking On The Devil's Backbone/12-Inch 3-Speed Oscillating Fan
The Cure - Hot Hot Hot!!!/Why Can't I Be You
Maximum Balloon - Tiger/Quantum Exit
Let's Wrestle/The Love Language - I'm So Lazy/Brittany's Back
Deerhunter - Revival/Primative 3D

M8vJTl.jpg

Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me

Prez

Does anyone know a good record player without pitch control? I have one with pitch control and while it sounds normal on its own, whenever I try to play my keyboard on top it sounds false.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Stabbie said:
Does anyone know a good record player without pitch control? I have one with pitch control and while it sounds normal on its own, whenever I try to play my keyboard on top it sounds false.

Any modern, non-DJ record player will come without pitch control.

A cheap turntable I would suggest is the Rega RP1.

killertofu said:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1336.snc4/162856_118687154870732_100001883439073_131518_2713813_n.jpg

Bought this last night at a local record store...but when I got home I realized it skips every damn second. Idk what to do :C
Take it back to the store?

dKHU4l.jpg

Beach House - Devotion (2xLP)
No Age - Glitter (12" single)
No Age - Losing Feeling EP (12")
Sigur Rós - með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust (2xLP)
Human Highway - Moody Motorcycle (LP)

X4jnBl.jpg

The Long Winters - When I Pretend To Fall (2xLP)
Cotton Jones - Tall Hours In The Glowstream (LP)
Yo La Tengo - Popular Songs (2xLP)
Modest Mouse - A Life of Arctic Sounds (Clear 7" single)

Top Bottom