• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

My latest purchases:

8047299264_179cb2294e_b.jpg

Gaf, i need advice.
Like i said on the previous page, i just got a project debut 3 with an Ortofon Om5e.
I think my settings are okay, for now: VTF, cartridge alignment and all that stuff.

The thing is: Some Lp sound great (Grizzly bear's yellow house sounds amazing), but some others had me wondering if my settings were ok, or if my TT was broken. On Tame Impala's Lonerism , i can clearly hear a "hiss" on the left channel. The sound is just muddy, and there's a lot of saturation.

Now, i know, Tame Impala is pretty lo-fi, and Lonerism may not be the best lp to use for setting the EQ, but still.

Could the ortofon cartridge be the cause?

andylsun

OYcP7.jpg

$2 find today. Sleeve is in good condition and so is the record. I've a couple of copies so far, but this is a first issue from March 1973. Only 8 months younger than me!

Out of all the copies of The Dark Side of the Moon I have, the SACD has to be the best.

Wolfe

$2 find today. Sleeve is in good condition and so is the record. I've a couple of copies so far, but this is a first issue from March 1973. Only 8 months younger than me!

Out of all the copies of The Dark Side of the Moon I have, the SACD has to be the best.

Damn that's rad, I think the cheapest I've seen it here in Seattle has been 15 bucks for a shit up copy with a tore up sleeve/cover.

How do you guys remove static? Before or after cleaning the record with solution?

I had a huge problem with static so I ended up picking up some anti static sleeves and while they helped they didn't get rid of the problem, not until I picked up this guy at least:

Anti Static slip mat - $15

I can tell you for a fact that since I got that mat I have not heard one instance of static pop while dealing with my records where as in the past I would have issues with static each and every time I removed a record from the player after it finished.

I highly recommend it if you have static problems.

andylsun

How do you guys remove static? Before or after cleaning the record with solution?

One of the best ways is a Zerostat gun. I've yet to find one at a decent price (or used), but they last for ever and use pizo electric crystal to generate a stream of ions.

I do use a carbon fibre record brush. It conducts electricity through the bristles and handle, removing the static charge. I end up with very static charged records when using wood glue to clean and the carbon fibre brush removes nearly all of it.

The secret with the brush is to press very lightly, so that the bristles are only just bending. This also helps get the most gunk out of the grooves. It's the best dry-cleaning record method I've found.

andylsun

Woohoo! At last I have a linear tracking turntable. I now have a linear, belt drive, direct drive and idler.

Saw it at the flea market and the person selling it said make me an offer. $10 later and it's mine. I expect some issues or needing a new stylus, but it plays wonderfully - very quiet and the arm tracks fine.

Most linear trackers are lightweight and poor. This one weighs 15lb. It's fitted with a non-original pickering cart, and it's p-mount. It can also be mounted vertically to a wall and still play.

I'm in two minds whether to run it as it is, or put it through the service manual adjustments and give it an overhaul. As it plays fine as it, might be worth leaving alone. There's nothing to lubricate, as the tone arm bar uses a dry teflon lubrication and the main bearing doesn't need repeated oiling (unlike my SL-1200 MK2)

ywHo4l.jpg

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I've finalized my setup for vinyl, after finally getting my speakers in order (ended up going with B&W 805 Diamonds and am very happy):

ZMeAc.jpg

Well Tempered Lab's Amadeus GTA table
Dynavector XX2 mk2 cartridge
Dynavector P75 mk3 phono pre-amp
Well Tempered Lab power supply
Quadraspire Sunoko-Vent bamboo stand

After getting it all set up, it sounds AMAZING. I still need to get a few things (dust cover, record cleaner stuffs) but overall I'm done for the most part.

EVOL 100%

Got my first two vinyls, Until the Quiet Comes by Flying Lotus and Crescent by John Coltrane.

Goddamnit, I'm a believer now. I was sort of skpetical and the fact that I had to pay for shipping and wait nearly a month got me pretty pissed.

But dat sound. Chirst... Was well worth the wait and price.

Will post pictures later.

-Mikey-

Listening to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I know it was super expensive but so worth it. Listening to it at 6am (when I planned on sleeping 3 hours ago) confirms that this is the best album of all time.

That is all.

HTuran

Took advantage of Chemical's £10 off £30 to finish off my Dross Glop collection and to pick up a couple of re-issued Tri-Angle releases that I never though I'd see again.

9U7iX.jpg

oooh didnt even know about this thread! I was looking for help on buying turntables and it popped up.

Heres my small collection, I originally just wanted a copy of Daft Punk-Discovery *to frame.

I got that, then I liked the art work on Maya Jane Coles-Dont put me in your box*...
then I wanted VIVEK- Eyes Down and Mala- Changes and Burial because I have good memory's associated with tunes on them...now its buying stuff just because.

I nearly bought the pink version of Drive and also thinking about getting James blakes LP aswell..

Top right is
Coki - Sound Boy White label, think only 500 got made.

I really need to get a way to play this stuff but Its confusing as hell. Not quite CD player>line out>surround sound setup is it!

*not pictured

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Gaf, i need advice.
Like i said on the previous page, i just got a project debut 3 with an Ortofon Om5e.
I think my settings are okay, for now: VTF, cartridge alignment and all that stuff.

The thing is: Some Lp sound great (Grizzly bear's yellow house sounds amazing), but some others had me wondering if my settings were ok, or if my TT was broken. On Tame Impala's Lonerism , i can clearly hear a "hiss" on the left channel. The sound is just muddy, and there's a lot of saturation.

Now, i know, Tame Impala is pretty lo-fi, and Lonerism may not be the best lp to use for setting the EQ, but still.

Could the ortofon cartridge be the cause?

I know this is old, so you might have fixed this already, but I just noticed this post. It could be that the cartridge (and overall system) is just way revealing. I know that's the case with my new setup, it will point out shoddy vinyl or any defects at all with glaring clarity.

The only other thing to check is azimuth, if that's off you can have sibilance. Trying Googling "sibilance vinyl" and there are quite a few resources on the subject.

Bad vinyl would be my guess, though. I recently bought Bon Iver's "Beth/Rest" single vinyl release, and it's the worst shit I've ever heard. I get right channel hissing and terrible clipping/sibilance on the high notes (which on Bon Iver, is all the f'ing time). I did some research and it turns out that the label, Jagjaguar, is notable for shoddy vinyl releases, with some folks getting records that are fine, while others get shit like me.

Then I put on something like James Blake's self-titled, and it sounds so unbelievably awesome, I know nothing is wrong with my system...

nitewulf

The Ortofon Om5e isn't a top tier cartridge though, I think its either a case of tracking force not being right, or the vinyl being bad, or a busted channel on the cartridge. I would just test the sound with different vinyls, making sure the stylus force is within recommended range and setting up the corresponding anti skating force.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
The Ortofon Om5e isn't a top tier cartridge though, I think its either a case of tracking force not being right, or the vinyl being bad, or a busted channel on the cartridge. I would just test the sound with different vinyls, making sure the stylus force is within recommended range and setting up the corresponding anti skating force.

I know when I set mine up, I had to dial in the force using a mini digital scale to exactly 2.0 grams before it sounded good... The results were amazing, though. The Dynavector XX2 is one picky MC cart.

Woohoo! At last I have a linear tracking turntable. I now have a linear, belt drive, direct drive and idler.

Saw it at the flea market and the person selling it said make me an offer. $10 later and it's mine. I expect some issues or needing a new stylus, but it plays wonderfully - very quiet and the arm tracks fine.

Most linear trackers are lightweight and poor. This one weighs 15lb. It's fitted with a non-original pickering cart, and it's p-mount. It can also be mounted vertically to a wall and still play.

I'm in two minds whether to run it as it is, or put it through the service manual adjustments and give it an overhaul. As it plays fine as it, might be worth leaving alone. There's nothing to lubricate, as the tone arm bar uses a dry teflon lubrication and the main bearing doesn't need repeated oiling (unlike my SL-1200 MK2)

I got also one linear tracking one, Technics SL-L20, but haven't used it in few years!

andylsun

Saw this in the rack today at Newbury Comics. I did not buy it.

tWWcfl.jpg

I think it will probably be awful, but part of me wants it to be amazing.

12 fan favourites are transformed into beautiful instrumental lullabies. Features download card, coloured vinyl, full color sleeve and activities

So I posted this in the Nov music thread but I thought I'd post it here as well since I didn't know this thread existed. So last week I bought a record player(Audio Technica AT-LP60) on a whim and now I'm hooked on vinyl. Here's everything I've bought since then on vinyl.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
Youth Lagoon - The Year of Hibernation
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
Strokes - Is This It
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over the Sea
Washed Out - Within and Without
The xx - xx
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King
James Blake - James Blake
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Radiohead - OK Computer
Sammy Davis Jr. - Greatest Hits
Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground & Nico
Skip James - Greatest of the Delta Blues Singers
Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues Singers
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Death Grips - The Money Store

Probably the most I've ever spent on music in such a small period. Totally worth it though. I haven't been this in love with music in a long time.

I'm looking at picking up these records in the next few months:

Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Grizzly Bear - Shields
Grizzly Bear - Veckatimist
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
Radiohead - Kid A
Radiohead - In Rainbows
White Stripes - White Blood Cells

If anyone knows of any decent record stores in Northeast Ohio I'd love the recommendation. Seems like there isn't much around here.

nitewulf

i use discogs to buy and sell, just sold a 9-LP Beethoven box set for $150. not too bad.

i recently bought Slowdive's Souvlaki and DJ Krush's Zen, the MOV re-issues.

hoverX

I've got a pair of 1200s with some sort of Ortofon needles. They are currently in storage in my parents basement. Just debating if I should bring them out of storage or get something more high end/geared towards audiophiles?

Ravager61

I found a copy of Unsane's Scattered, Smothered & Covered today in my local record store for 30 bucks. Stoked because not only is it a great noise/hardcore album but according to discogs, it's worth about $100.

I found a copy of Unsane's Scattered, Smothered & Covered today in my local record store for 30 bucks. Stoked because not only is it a great noise/hardcore album but according to discogs, it's worth about $100.

Unsane rules, saw them this summer and they were great!!

maruchan

I've got a pair of 1200s with some sort of Ortofon needles. They are currently in storage in my parents basement. Just debating if I should bring them out of storage or get something more high end/geared towards audiophiles?

Then you are set, when you say 1200's you mean mk2 or mk3?
1200's are get audiophile machines.

Just get better cartridge/stylus
Shure 97xe
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006I5SB/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Grado Gold

Denon DL-110
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1YLG0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Okay, so I have the speakers, receiver and turntable picked out for my vinyl set-up. What else do I need to get started with vinyl as far as accessories go? Brush, cleaning spray, etc.

If money was no object, what turntable would you buy?

Well Tempered Labs Versalex

If you don't want to spend that much, get a WTL Amadeus or even a Simplex.

At their respective price points, I don't think anything is better. In fact, from reading reviews, they compare favorably to tables retailing for twice their respective prices.

Of course it's all system dependent. It would be dumb to spend $4,000 on a table and $2000 on a high end MC cartridge if you have a pair of Cerwin Vega speakers.

I've finalized my setup for vinyl, after finally getting my speakers in order (ended up going with B&W 805 Diamonds and am very happy):

Nice analog rig. Amazing actually. I think that's pretty close to state of the art without getting into ludicrous territory.

I think your speakers will be the weak link.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Nice analog rig. Amazing actually. I think that's pretty close to state of the art without getting into ludicrous territory.

I think your speakers will be the weak link.

Thanks :) That was my goal, and I did a crazy amount of research before finally deciding on what to get. I couldn't be happier with my setup, and having heard a few "ludicrous territory" setups, I can say mine holds its own just fine, and is better than some I've heard.

I went with the 805 D's because of being in an apartment. They sound great for the price-range, and fit well with my being where anything with a larger low-end would have me evicted.

Whenever I move to either a house or a condo with 12"+ thick concrete walls/floors, I'll definitely get way better speakers. I'm happy for now, though.

hoverX

Then you are set, when you say 1200's you mean mk2 or mk3?
1200's are get audiophile machines.

Just get better cartridge/stylus
Shure 97xe
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006I5SB/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Grado Gold

Denon DL-110
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1YLG0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

mk2s

Not that price is the ultimate gauge of quality but I'm pretty sure I paid more for my needles 10 years ago. I don't remember which exact models I bought.

Is there a big difference between what are considered DJing needles and Audiophile needles?

nitewulf

get the Denon 103R, I wouldn't buy higher quality cartridge than that for the Technics table. also what is your complete setup, amps + speakers?

Top Bottom