• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

nitewulf

Anyone have experience upgrading from an Ortofon 2M Red to a 2M Blue? My arm/counterweight is already set for the Red, but curious if anything else needs to be changed.

i dont think you need to change too much. ortofons tend to be manufactured for similar settinngs, i use the quintet blue, and it has the same recommended tracking force as every other cartridge in the quintet series. i thinnk the 2M seried tracking force is the same as well. aside from that...there isnt much else to set aside from alignment, but the 2Ms all share the same body so that should be easy.

8bit

Knows the Score
Looks like this is Europe only, Welcome To The Pleasuredome was the first album I remember buying myself. I can't see myself passing on a lavish reissue of it.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/frankiegoestohollywood

large.jpg

Presenting a Zang Tuum Tumb ultra-deluxe box set, celebrating the 30th anniversary of the ground-breaking album, “Welcome To The Pleasuredome”. Let us take you “Inside The Pleasuredome” to explore Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Trevor Horn’s greatest work. A strictly limited ultra-deluxe edition, “Inside The Pleasuredome” contains five exclusive, box set-only elements:

1. “Come Inside” – The entry-point into the Pleasuredome experience, via a unique flipbook animation of Lo Cole’s classic artwork. [Catalogued at NEAT 3.]

2. Tumbometer Nine – A Zang Tuum Tumb info sheet detailing everything you’ll find Inside The Pleasuredome, where it came from and why it’s there. Plus a complete listing of the Element Series, past, present and future.

3. “And Suddenly There Came A Zang!” – The Art of Frankie Goes To Hollywood. A stunning 48-page case-bound hardback book celebrating and exploring the artwork of Welcome To The Pleasuredome, with contributions from Paul Morley, designers David Smart, Lo Cole and photographers Anne Yvonne Gilbert, John Stoddart, Steve Rumney, AJ Barratt and Peter Ashworth. [Zanglette No. 2, ZTAS 31.]

4. “Brothers and Sisters” – The DVD. Compiling the Pleasuredome videos – Relax, Two Tribes, The Power of Love and Welcome To The Pleasuredome by directors Godley & Creme, Bernard Rose and David Mallett – and 5.1 surround sound mixes of the classic singles and album tracks. [Catalogued at NEAT 2.]

5. “Voiceless, Volume 1” – The Instrumentals. A five track digital EP with previously unreleased instrumental versions of 7” and 12” mixes. [catalogued at ZTIS 309.]
NOTE: This is exclusive to Pledgers

6. “Cowboys and Indians” – The Alternate Tracks. A four-track EP that explores the making of Frankie’s second single, with two previously unreleased takes of Two Tribes and two other tracks TBC [10” vinyl in die-cut sleeve – 10 ZTAS 4c/d]

7. “Lovers and Haters” – The Studio Demos. A four-track EP tracing the story of two of the earliest tracks recorded for Welcome To The Pleasuredome, with two previously-unreleased takes of Relax and two previously-unreleased versions of The Only Star In Heaven. [10" vinyl in die-cut sleeve 10 ZTAS 4a/b]

8. “Doctors and Nurses” – The Remixes. A pairing of the third 12” mix of War! (which went on to become the Art of Noise track, Oobly) with an alternate 12” version of Welcome To The Pleasuredome, both previously unreleased. [10” vinyl in die-cut sleeve 10 ZTAS 4e/f]

9. “Suck It Up” – The Relax Cassette. A 13-track, C90 remix anthology, from the 16-minute Sex Mix to Trevor Horn’s New York Mix via five previously unreleased versions. [A cassette-only Inside The Pleasuredome companion piece with accompanying digital download, catalogue number CTIS 104.]

10. “Welcome To The Pleasuredome” – The 2014 Vinyl Edition. The original 16-track album, remastered at Sarm Studios by Trevor Horn and his 2014 THeam, pressed on 180g audiophile vinyl and packaged in a unique die-cut sleeve designed to frame one of three accompanying prints by original Pleasuredome sleeve artist, Lo Cole. [Catalogued at IQ1000]

andylsun

Couple of pickup today

YbdKXy6l.jpg

Found the dance section in one of my favourite stores after not being able to find it the last couple of times. Didn't have time to go through all of it. Can't leave Daft Punk 12" behind, and the Apollo 440 album is one I've heard of, but never actually heard. It may not be my cup of tea but wasn't too expensive.

Myriadis

I'm currently looking for a new, not very expensive turntable. Most of the time I only see these full-automatic ones for a good price. I always had semi-automatic before, where you have to set your needle by yourself. I know now that with automatic turntables, you have a start button that drops the tone arm automatically at the start. My question, is there still the possibility to set the position of the tone arm by yourself? I don't always want to start at the very first song of a side.
Sorry if something's not clear, I only know the technical terms in german.

8bit

Knows the Score
Couple of pickup today

YbdKXy6l.jpg

Found the dance section in one of my favourite stores after not being able to find it the last couple of times. Didn't have time to go through all of it. Can't leave Daft Punk 12" behind, and the Apollo 440 album is one I've heard of, but never actually heard. It may not be my cup of tea but wasn't too expensive.

Side 2 of the Apollo 440 album is really good IMO, Krupa, Pain in Any Language & Carrerra Rapida are excellent if maybe a bit dated. And Da Funk/Alive/Musique is my favourite Daft Punk era so those are good picks.

I'm currently looking for a new, not very expensive turntable. Most of the time I only see these full-automatic ones for a good price. I always had semi-automatic before, where you have to set your needle by yourself. I know now that with automatic turntables, you have a start button that drops the tone arm automatically at the start. My question, is there still the possibility to set the position of the tone arm by yourself? I don't always want to start at the very first song of a side.
Sorry if something's not clear, I only know the technical terms in german.

If you pick the tone arm to place it yourself your turntable should start automatically.

andylsun

Side 2 of the Apollo 440 album is really good IMO, Krupa, Pain in Any Language & Carrerra Rapida are excellent if maybe a bit dated. And Da Funk/Alive/Musique is my favourite Daft Punk era so those are good picks.

Apollo 440. How the hell did I miss this album on release - I feel like ringing up my flat-mate and asking her why we didn't have this album back then!

As a Brit and someone who loves timeless/leftism/decksanddrumsandrockandroll, I can't figure out how I never heard this record before. Yes, it's a very late 90's sound, but it's awesome.

omgkitty

Anyone here interested in buying a clear blue copy of Mondo's The Beyond soundtrack? The seam along the top of the sleeve is split, but everything else is in good shape.

the-beyond-1.jpeg

8bit

Knows the Score
Apollo 440. How the hell did I miss this album on release - I feel like ringing up my flat-mate and asking her why we didn't have this album back then!

As a Brit and someone who loves timeless/leftism/decksanddrumsandrockandroll, I can't figure out how I never heard this record before. Yes, it's a very late 90's sound, but it's awesome.

It's not that they were particularly underground either, Lolita was 1991 or so but within a few years they had progressed to doing themes for Lost in Space & Charlies Angels remakes.

A couple of recent pick ups:

The Band (self titled) and Songs: Ohia (also self titled but AKA The Black Album)
XcfeKWy.png

And some reissues of Beatles For Sale and Help!
APzXDK2.png

Also this finally arrived today, Audio Technica LP-120.
RyE2tEf.png

I've been wanting to upgrade my turntable for awhile now, the prices are all over the place in Canada but this one had the features I wanted (78rpm, reverse play, adjustable arm, mono+line out, etc) for a price that wasn't completely out of whack.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
hi1OAeR.jpg

Lately I've been going back to the first music I ever listened to seriously, which was grunge shit when I was 13 and 14 years old. Bought Pearl Jam's Ten Redux LP a few years ago which was great, and now my favorite Nirvana record. I might pick up Nevermind at some point but honestly even 20 years later it's too soon, I listened to it all day every day back then, literally.

It's a little obnoxious that it's 45 RPM but I'll take what I can get. Better than the 20th Anniversary Edition for $60 which includes another 45 record with demos and shit. I get the distinct feeling the band would not actually be cool with this.

Why is it being 45 an issue? I thought you only go 33 when you need to fit more tracks on the side. Most dance eps come with a 45 track on each side or A side is 45 and B is 33.

Borgnine

Why is it being 45 an issue? I thought you only go 33 when you need to fit more tracks on the side. Most dance eps come with a 45 track on each side or A side is 45 and B is 33.

I want to listen to the album without only getting 3 songs before having to flip the thing. It's just a wrench in how I normally listen to records. But also by forcing it on to 2 records they can double the price.

I want to listen to the album without only getting 3 songs before having to flip the thing. It's just a wrench in how I normally listen to records. But also by forcing it on to 2 records they can double the price.

Ahhh yeah, though I swear most lps unless the tracks are 2mins long are like 4 at most per side?
Ive found the prices to be more or less the same for a 1 vinly LP VS a 2 but im in the UK though.

8bit

Knows the Score
Found this while internetting :

Z7T8

And kind of unrelated, Glasgow Barrowlands seems to have a Northern Soul All-dayer and there's a great picture of scooters and owners.

Bo9NKPFCEAAIKba.jpg

Borgnine

You are receiving this email because you have placed an order from Light In The Attic for the Lewis release.

This particular email is for people who ordered the LP, so if you have just ordered a CD, feel free to disregard this email.

Anywho, I just wanted to touch base and let you all know that the LP has been delayed by the manufacturer. As you know, the vinyl industry is booming at the moment and there are more manufacturing orders placed than there are manufacturers these days. So it goes.

I have updated the ship date on our website for the LPs to 7/22

THIS IS BULLSHIT.

THIS IS BULLSHIT.

This happens to pretty much every release out there. More so right now because manufacturers are still trying to clear lines caused by record store day bullshit. And it's just one month? I have seen and bought releases that have been 6 months late because of the manufacturers lines.

8bit

Knows the Score
I just paid $10 (trunk included) for the whole thing.

CZ5Bp98l.jpg

!

Nice score, although with James Taylor staring up from it there might be some junk in that trunk. At least 100 other records by the looks of it though, and it must have weighed quite a bit.

Tedesco!

!

Nice score, although with James Taylor staring up from it there might be some junk in that trunk. At least 100 other records by the looks of it though, and it must have weighed quite a bit.

There were 156 records. This is what I kept:

Gordon Lightfoot - Endless Wire
Stanley Black and his Orchestra - Some Enchanted Evening
Van Cliburn - Rachmaninoff Concerto No 3
Tony Bennett - The Movie Song Album
Andy Williams - Days of Wine an Roses
The Moody Blues - every good boy deserves favor
The Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Child
The Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn
Mountain - Flowers of Evil
Chuck Mangione - Feels So Good
Chuck Mangione - Main Squeeze
Linda Rondstadt - Prisoner in Disguise
Montrose - Montrose!
J. Geils Band - Ladies Invited
J. Geils Band - Bloodshot
J. Giles Band - Nightmares…
Joe Cocker - Stingray
Yes - Relayer
Maria Muldar - Sweet Harmony
Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth
R.E.O. Speedwagon - This Time We Mean It
Captain and Tennille - Song of Joy
Sammy Davis Jr. - Portrait of Sammy Davis Jr.
Kansas - Song for America
Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years
Drum Drops
Billy Preston - Music is My Life
Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman
Cat Stevens - Taser and the Firecat
The Doobie Bros. - what were once vices are now habits
Jimmy Buffett - Havana Daydreaming
Jimmy Buffet - Son of a Son of a Sailor
Dionne Warwick - Very Dionne
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Lou Reed - Coney Island
Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
Joni Mitchell - Hejira
Joni Mitchell - Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter
Weather Report - Black Market
Grand Funk - Phoenix
Steve Winwood - Steve Winwood
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
Hall and Oates - Bigger Than The Both Of Us
Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy
George Harrison - George Harrison
George Benson - Breezin’
Jerry Lewis - Just Sings
Jim Corce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim
Barbra Streisand - The Second Barbra Streisand Album
Burt Bacharach: Reach Out
Soundtrack - A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Soundtrack - Carousel
Soundtrack - Oliver!
Soundtrack - Funny Girl
Soundtrack - Sound of Music
Soundtrack - Mousercise
Soundtrack - Muppet Movie
Soundtrack - Love Story
Soundtack - Paint Your Wagon
Soundtrack - Hello Dolly
Soundtrack - Kiss Me Kate
Soundtrack - A Chipmunk Christmas
Soundtrack - 60 Year of Music America Loves Best
Soundtrack - Lady Sings The Blues
Papa John Creach - Filthy!
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
James Taylor - JT
George Carlin - An Evening with Wally Londo
George Carlin - Class Clown
USA For Africa - We Are The World
Dan Folgelberg - Souvenirs
Louis Armstrong - Hello Dolly
Mantovani - Christmas Carols
Melachrino Strings - A Melachrino Concert
Operatta Memories - Mantovani and his Orchestra

I wanted the amber one and was able to get it thanks to setting up a twitter alert on my phone. So stoked, this is the first Mondo release I was able to nab.

CRS

The Jurassic Park and the Studio Ghibli LPs are the only ones I've gotten from them. Haven't been interested in anything else from them.

Finally got my hands on the RSD release of Songs: Ohia's Journey On. It was much more than I wanted to spend (damn vinyl resellers) but there was only 1850 made and they're getting less and less common on eBay and more and more expensive. But anyways, I'm a big enough Songs: Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co/Jason Molina fan I justified the purchase. Comes in a nice box with nine 7" singles (33rpm), with a CD collection version and a wooden 7" adapter.

H6OG3w1.png

chxZd9v.png

number11

ArticleImage-53043.jpg

THE BEATLES’ ORIGINAL MONO STUDIO ALBUMS REMASTERED AT ABBEY ROAD DIRECTLY FROM THE ANALOGUE MASTERS FOR VINYL. CONTAINING 11 ALBUMS AND HARDBACK BOOK.

London – June 16, 2014 – The Beatles in mono: This is how most listeners first heard the group in the 1960s, when mono was the predominant audio format. Up until 1968, each Beatles album was given a unique mono and stereo mix, but the group always regarded the mono as primary.

Newly mastered from the analogue master tapes, this limited 14-LP boxed edition, The Beatles In Mono, includes a 108-page hardbound book.

In an audiophile-minded undertaking, The Beatles’ acclaimed mono albums have been newly mastered for vinyl from quarter-inch master tapes at Abbey Road Studios by GRAMMY®-winning engineer Sean Magee and GRAMMY®-winning mastering supervisor Steve Berkowitz. While The Beatles In Mono CD boxed set released in 2009 was created from digital remasters, for this new vinyl project, Magee and Berkowitz cut the records without using any digital technology. Instead, they employed the same procedures used in the 1960s, guided by the original albums and by detailed transfer notes made by the original cutting engineers.

Working in the same room at Abbey Road where most of The Beatles’ albums were initially cut, the pair first dedicated weeks to concentrated listening, fastidiously comparing the master tapes with first pressings of the mono records made in the 1960s. Using a rigorously tested Studer A80 machine to play back the precious tapes, the new vinyl was cut on a 1980s-era VMS80 lathe.

Manufactured for the world at Optimal Media in Germany, The Beatles’ albums are presented in their original glory, both sonically and in their packaging. The boxed collection’s exclusive 12-inch by 12-inch hardbound book features new essays and a detailed history of the mastering process by award-winning radio producer and author Kevin Howlett. The book is illustrated with many rare studio photos of The Beatles, fascinating archive documents, and articles and advertisements sourced from 1960s publications.

Boxset contains the following:

108 Page Hardback Book
Please Please Me Mono Vinyl LP
With The Beatles Mono Vinyl LP
A Hard Days Night Mono Vinyl LP
Help Vinyl Vinyl LP
Rubber Soul Vinyl LP
Revolver Vinyl LP
Beatles For Sale Vinyl LP
Sgt Pepper Vinyl LP
Magical Mystery Tour Vinyl LP
The Beatles (White Album) Vinyl 2xLP
Mono Masters Vinyl 3xLP

http://www.thebeatlesonline.co.uk/thebeatles/thebeatles/The-Beatles-In-Mono-Vinyl-Box/38K10000000

Finally. I've been avoiding buying any of the mono albums ever since this was announced.

amnesiac

Finally. I've been avoiding buying any of the mono albums ever since this was announced.

Been waiting for this to get announced. It would be awesome if the vinyl is AAA, but since the stereo ones weren't it's not looking likely. (Edit: re-reading the description, they might be analog...)

Glad they have the single versions up there, too. I'll definitely pick up the White Album since that one seems impossible to find on mono vinyl.

amnesiac

Found some good stuff last visit.

FLs4qGa.jpg

Brian Eno - Another Green World
Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music For Airports
Brian Eno/David Byrne - My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts
Brian Eno - Ambient 2: Plateux Of Mirror
David Bowie - Heroes
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow

Top Bottom