• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

amnesiac

Looking good! In my experience it's best to let the record play out. Simply turn off the volume and let the arm auto-reset itself after the records is played through. Similarly I've heard that it's best to not start the record by placing the Needle on one of the further tracks. Always start at the outside rim, just before the first song.

I'm sure someone will correct me though.

It doesn't matter what track you pick, just as long as you put the needle on the dead wax before it.

Already I have a noob question. Is considered okay to just turn the record player off while it's playing and leaving the needle down to save your place? Sometimes I have to leave the room or take a call or something, and I've just turned it off and left the needle down. Is this okay?

It doesn't really matter if the needle is there for some time, after all the needle is doing much more work when it's actually playing the record. I wouldn't advice leaving the needle there for extended periods of time (as in days) as it will cause more stress to the needle and will eventually degrade the needle but it won't happen in couple minutes or hours.

What's the best cheap turntable with a built in speaker? I'm looking to get my girlfriend something cheap and simple so she doesn't have to plug it into separate speakers, I've only heard bad things about crosley tables, any recommendation?

Thanks

What's the best cheap turntable with a built in speaker? I'm looking to get my girlfriend something cheap and simple so she doesn't have to plug it into separate speakers, I've only heard bad things about crosley tables, any recommendation?

Thanks

There's a 0% chance of anything with this description being even remotely decent.

That's what I was afraid of, hopefully someone here has some experience with it though

There's a reason no one makes/buys them. The very concept of speakers attached to a device that requires extreme precision and minimal movement/vibrations to function properly is laughable.

Just buy a cheap vintage turntable and speakers for like 100 bucks combined and it'll be leagues better than any Crosley or equivalent all-in-one.

Shiv47

I've managed to get two of the four RSD titles I missed out on off of Discogs for reasonable prices; it only took a couple days for people who weren't price-gouging assholes to show up, apparently. There's one additional RSD title I want, but neither store I've been to had sold their initial RSD copies, so I figure I'll wait till my main store throws it in their clearance bin in a couple months.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Go to the flea market or a garage sale and do better than what you are saying...

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management

Thanks

vw-soundwagon-o.gif

http://youtu.be/HvWmt5TIQWg

http://www.soundwagon.jp/

8bit

Knows the Score
Death Waltz Sub 4 is open tomorrow, this time around there's a cheaper bare bones black vinyl sub. One of the reissues strongly rumoured for this sub is the Twin Peaks first season soundtrack.

number11

Death Waltz Sub 4 is open tomorrow, this time around there's a cheaper bare bones black vinyl sub. One of the reissues strongly rumoured for this sub is the Twin Peaks first season soundtrack.

I thought it was the 29th? its still hard for me to justify the price tag, but I'm still tempted to put in an order.

Ugh, I am so fed up with this shit. So I got my Debut Carbon through an Amazon reseller, Dedicated Audio back in January. The TT went defective in late Feburary, just outside of the no questions asked 30 return policy. But Dedicated Audio said I could return the defective unit for a replacement, but then it turned out they didn't have the red version of my debut carbon. So they said to ship it to Sumiko Audio, the US distributor of Pro-ject TT's. THey have now been sitting on the fucker for three weeks, every time I call I get a new, "yeah it will be done this week" run around. Just called and now they said it will be 5-6 weeks before even looking at the fucking thing. Won't be long before my brand new TT is sitting in Cali for repairs longer than I owned it and was able to use it.

I am trying to get Dedicated Audio to sort this out for me and maybe ship the replacement and get my TT back from Sumiko. Such garbage customer service. Not one email update or anything, I have to call to check in for everything.

omgkitty

Well I'm an idiot. I was playing a record and accidentally dropped the needle on the record quickly picked it up, started playing the record again, and when I put the needle down, there's a lot of crackling that there wasn't before. I immediately think I've fucked up the needle. I flipped over the record, and same deal. Crackling. Then I tried another record. No crackling. Tried another one. No crackling. Go back to first record and it crackles again, on both sides. Wtf?

8bit

Knows the Score
Well I'm an idiot. I was playing a record and accidentally dropped the needle on the record quickly picked it up, started playing the record again, and when I put the needle down, there's a lot of crackling that there wasn't before. I immediately think I've fucked up the needle. I flipped over the record, and same deal. Crackling. Then I tried another record. No crackling. Tried another one. No crackling. Go back to first record and it crackles again, on both sides. Wtf?

Static?

My Expedits are a little too big for where I wanted to put my records in my new house so I'm gonna pick up a few Kallax shelves this weekend to replace them. Will post pics when setup.

IronRinn

I doubt it...it's a Death Waltz release. Plus it didn't have any issues before this happened.

Well, if that's the case then it's another story. If it's one of your RSD pickups — it's just been my personal experience that pressings on colored vinyl or picture discs tend to have a lot of surface noise. But, again, if it was working fine before, then it might be dust or static.

I also realize there are people in this thread who are far more educated than me on this subject who could probably weigh in.

8bit

Knows the Score
Well, if that's the case then it's another story. If it's one of your RSD pickups — it's just been my personal experience that pressings on colored vinyl or picture discs tend to have a lot of surface noise. But, again, if it was working fine before, then it might be dust or static.

I also realize there are people in this thread who are far more educated than me on this subject who could probably weigh in.
Picture discs aren't really for playing IMO, the vinyl layer is slightly thinner than normal. Not had any issues with coloured vinyl in my time but YMMV on that one. Anyway more on point, one way static and death waltz have their remainder record store day stock on sale online so if any of you missed something last week it might be worth checking your favourite online retailer or label for it.

Managed to get myself a copy of Oneohtrix Point Never's 'Commissions I' RSD release:

i79eLKfvcQMxy.jpg

I underestimated demand last week - rolled up around lunchtime to my local store and all copies were long gone. Paid over the odds from a flipper due to impatience, ah well.

CRS

Anyone have an idea on how quickly those Mondo vinyl's sell out? My friend is a JP fiend, was going to grab one for his bday.

Depends on the content. I know their posters sell out pretty fucking quick. Not sure about their vinyl releases.

amnesiac

Depends on the content. I know their posters sell out pretty fucking quick. Not sure about their vinyl releases.
Version A should be around for a long time. Version B might sell out in under an hour like Drive did.

So all of the version B pressings are amber? June 11th is a while away though.
Yes, it appears that all of the version B pressings are amber.

Haven't done a pick up post in a few since I didn't have a turntable in the house. Picked these up in the last month or so.
CX6cd0gl.jpg

(From the top, left to right)
Future Islands - Singles
Real Estate - Atlas
Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron
Peaches and Herb - 2 Hot (bought this just for "Reunited" hahah)
St. Vincent - St. Vincent
The Howlies - Trippin With the Howlies

Cider X

Beware of Mondo picture discs (and picture discs in general) if you are buying these to enjoy the sound. They have a lot of added noise, especially newer picture discs have this strange "whooshing" sound during quieter passages. It's an inherent flaw of these kind of records and it can't be fixed.

Bros. I can finally sort of join the cool kids club. My mom gave me her turntable (AT-PL50) and my sister bought me some active speakers (M-Audio AV-30) for my birthday earlier this week.

The turntable has a built in pre-amp which I didn't know about before I ordered a new one. I'm assuming an outside one is probably going to better than a built in one. I bought one from behringer that had good reviews but it hasn't gotten here yet.

I'm all very new to this, although I do have a small collection (plus my mom and dad's collection) from when my ex-girlfriend got a me a crosley player for my birthday last year. But I wanted to actually enjoy my records, the crosley sounded horrible. While my stuff is probably not that nice in comparison to what you guys have, it sounds miles better than what I had before. I'm a little strapped for cash right now though, so I'm making due with what I already had and what I've been given. Eventually I'll step up.

Wolfe

Bros. I can finally sort of join the cool kids club. My mom gave me her turntable (AT-PL50) and my sister bought me some active speakers (M-Audio AV-30) for my birthday earlier this week.

The turntable has a built in pre-amp which I didn't know about before I ordered a new one. I'm assuming an outside one is probably going to better than a built in one. I bought one from behringer that had good reviews but it hasn't gotten here yet.

I'm all very new to this, although I do have a small collection (plus my mom and dad's collection) from when my ex-girlfriend got a me a crosley player for my birthday last year. But I wanted to actually enjoy my records, the crosley sounded horrible. While my stuff is probably not that nice in comparison to what you guys have, it sounds miles better than what I had before. I'm a little strapped for cash right now though, so I'm making due with what I already had and what I've been given. Eventually I'll step up.

No worries dude whatever you can get your hands on that works is good enough for the time being, hell I've had my shitty old JVC direct drive turntable for a few years now and it still works fine for me. Even my receiver and speakers are second hand stuff that's at least a decade or two old but they still blow my socks off and look cool lol. I'd love to get a new turntable at some point but they can be pretty pricey compared to the 60 bucks I spent on mine.

Top Bottom