• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

amnesiac

Check out the crazy gimmicks Jack White's Lazaretto vinyl has.

- 180 gram vinyl

- 2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels

- 1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record

- Side A plays from the outside in

- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for "Just One Drink" depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.

- Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record

- Both sides end with locked grooves

- Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format

- Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record

- Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering

- Different running order from the CD/digital version

- LP utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD and digital version

- 180 gram vinyl

- 1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record

- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for "Just One Drink" depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.

- Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record

Scrap the RSD bullshit, this is the least exciting thiing that has ever happened to vinyl records.

number11

The acoustic/electric duel grooves sounds like a pretty cool idea.. and I definitely need to see that angel hologram in person. If the price remains the same as a standard LP, i'm not gonna complain about any bonus gimmicks. The type of gimmicks I hate is the ones that effect sound quality or increases the price (Glow in the dark records, picture disks)

The only thing i'm not a fan of is side A being played from the middle to edge.

New stuff.

Dude, that all looks awesome! I've been really getting into The Beach Boys with vinyl purchases. Where did you get Pet Sounds?

And so I guess I should contribute a picture of my own small collection:

Bldlw_XIMAEU1eB.jpg:large

The Let It Be album is vintage.

- 180 gram vinyl

Some of that is definitely neat, I just didn't think Jack White was the type of guy who'd be into this really gimmicky stuff.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
That apple tho.

My Pet Sound LP is actually the stereo reissue, since I prefer the stereo mix.

amnesiac

The Beach Boys albums post - Pet Sounds are pretty hard to find. I never really see Friends, 20/20, Carl & The Passions, and Sunflower around here.

Does anyone here use a Xone 22 mixer?

I recently got myself a pair of Technics 1210 mk2s but the humming and buzz coming off the speaker is unbearable. I would try out the ground wire to the back of the mixer but the seller told me it's internally grounded and I wouldn't need to. But lo and behold the humming is loud and clear.

I'm a bit lost as to what to try. I feel like the seller might have done a bad job on the internal grounding mod and definitely wont accept a return. Is there anything I can do/try?

andylsun

Some pickups today

TshQr5Kl.jpg

Thrilled with the pet shop boys DJCulture/music for boys. Love their early stuff and this is a really fun pair of tracks.
Small town boy is 9 minutes long! Not sure how they do that!
Brain salad surgery is the US release and is in great condition including the insert.

6 for $8

There's a 70 page vinyl thread on GAF?!?! How did I not know this?!?!

Anyways, since my fiance and I bought our own house and have our turntable set up in our livingroom, we (mainly just me) have probably been buying too much vinyl, especially since we have a wedding coming up this summer. Oh well, that's future MagnitudePoppop's problem, not mine.

Here's some recent pickups from the past few weeks:
THIbe6K.png

Radiohead - OK Computer
Pixies - Doolittle (I forgot how great this record is)
Songs: Ohia - Hecla and Griper (I've been trying to get all the Jason Molina albums on vinyl, hopefully a few get reissued)
Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
John Lennon - Double Fantasy
Jack White - Blunderbuss

On my wishlist at the moment is Neil Young's Harvest, Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde, and George Harrison's All Things Must Pass.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
combed through my parents 200+ 45's collection and snatched a good 20 something records for myself. I'll post the finds later when I get them cleaned, sleeved and pretty lookin'. some good stuff in there and in surprisingly good condition.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
HI! Newcomer to the vinyl world. Before I moved back to the states from Japan I bought a bunch of records to ship home and take up space in the cubic meter I paid for on the boat.

It's taken me a few false starts but 9 months later I've finally assembled the various old components from Craigslist and restored them (wanted that vintage look and gear). I just finished fixing up the turntable (re-attached stablizer screws, new stylus and belt, adjusted lifter arm/tracking force etc) and hooked it up to an old receiver I got with the TT (TT was free cause the seller couldn't get it working, the belt had just fallen off).

q90Vcgp.jpg

It's a Pioneer PL-12D, I love it! The cart is its own vintage Shure M91e, paired up with a Superscope A-240, I believe related to Marantz somehow.

Have been buyin' up stuff and added all my releases to Discogs, had to manually enter a bunch of stuff cause I couldn't find it on there. If anyone's on there, look me up, would like to see y'all's collections. http://www.discogs.com/user/bdaiker A sampling of some favorites and recent pickups:

22mQFkZ.jpg

H9acKdv.jpg

LTaC8Rh.jpg

Gonna keep an eye on this thread!

Danielsan

Some fresh vinyl. Mostly old favourites.

- Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism (beautiful gatefold pressed on 180 grams)
- Radiohead - In Rainbows
- Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise (als a gorgeous gatefold)
- Jamie XX - Girls/Sleep Sound

5NyVVHd.jpg

nQfwSpq.jpg

Illinois is great on vinyl! Seek out the new pressing of Seven Swans if you can, it's great and comes with a 7" with two songs from the same session.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
HI! Newcomer to the vinyl world. Before I moved back to the states from Japan I bought a bunch of records to ship home and take up space in the cubic meter I paid for on the boat.

http://i.imgur.com/22mQFkZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H9acKdv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/LTaC8Rh.jpg

Would love to hit up Japan's crates one day. '80s Asian pop is one of my favorite things, and I honestly think I've grabbed up practically everything worthwhile in the entire Seattle area.

Nice pick-ups, btw! Long Vacation is a cool album, and all three in the first pic are (obviously) great.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Would love to hit up Japan's crates one day. '80s Asian pop is one of my favorite things, and I honestly think I've grabbed up practically everything worthwhile in the entire Seattle area.

Nice pick-ups, btw! Long Vacation is a cool album, and all three in the first pic are (obviously) great.

I grabbed a huge amount of Akina Nakamori for a buck a piece over there. Just splurged with my tax return and bought an early gatefold copy of Happy End's Kazemachi Roman, such a great album.

Side A plays from the inside of the record to the outside, but all your record player does is follow the grooves, so after you drop your needle it'll be fine. The only thing your record player might not be able to do is play those under-the-label tracks at 78 rpm.

Reverse records generally don't go along very well with fully automatic players but otherwise it's a non-issue (expect for the needle falling out when it finishes)

Some pickups today

TshQr5Kl.jpg

Thrilled with the pet shop boys DJCulture/music for boys. Love their early stuff and this is a really fun pair of tracks.
Small town boy is 9 minutes long! Not sure how they do that!
Brain salad surgery is the US release and is in great condition including the insert.

6 for $8

Timely purchase of Brain Salad Surgery, H.R. Giger died today.

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
Hello peoples, I enjoy listening to and looking at vinyls! Just looking through this page alone made me feel all giddy and gave me lots of ideas for future purchases, so thank you!

I went to Tokyo with the girlfriend over Golden Week and did some shopping in Ikebukuro. These are the results:

天界 Tenkai by Kitaro
Orchestral soundtracks for Galaxy Express 999 and Battleship Yamato
風見鶏 Weathercock by Masashi Sada
I LOVE YOU by OFF COURSE
夢の轍 Rut of dream by Masashi Dada

Ultravisitor by Squarepusher
Come to Daddy EP by Aphex Twin
A Long Way To Fall by Ulrich Schnauss
Hangable Auto Bulb EP by AFX
The Man Machine by Kraftwerk

And this arrived today by mail:

Dirty Rice by Mad Caddies (first release in seven years!)
Keep It Going by Mad Caddies (first LP release)

So much music, so little time...

This arrived today:

c0DSEHv.png

Neil Young - A Letter Home
If you're into Neil and/or lo-fi, I can't recommend this enough. It was recorded in a 1940's vinyl recording booth, which gives it a really unique sound, different than Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska or Iron and Wine's early stuff. Jack White helped produce it and guests on a few songs, it's all covers including Girl From The North Country.

amnesiac

Finally found one of the Brian Eno ambient albums at my store today... Ambient 2. I found out I could've got a sealed copy for the same price on Discogs. Haha oh well, still a great album.

So I got a Pro-Ject Essential II for birthday!...Not the most high end player but what would be a suitable set-up? I'm a total noob when it comes to turntables but I've wanted to start for a long time! I'm not an audiophile so it doesn't have to be perfect clear Hi-Fi sound. In fact I like my sound warm and with "character", if that helps. :)

I've got about 400€-600€ to spend. I guess I still need:

-a phono-pre-amp?
-an amplifier (maybe with built in phono, for example Denon PMA 520 AE ?)
-speakers (thinking about those: http://www.teufel.de/stereo/ultima-20-mk2-p12793.html). I live in Germany, so I should be able to get some standard brands.

(P.S.: I mostly listen to 70s stuff, prog, fusion and stoner/doom/sludge/heavy music!)

Erekiddo

Anyone have experience upgrading from an Ortofon 2M Red to a 2M Blue? My arm/counterweight is already set for the Red, but curious if anything else needs to be changed.

Top Bottom