• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Hi guys, need some help.

Last year my sister received a turntable from my parents for Christmas...the thing is, they didn't get her anything else to go with it so it's been sitting in the corner for the past year.

I want to complete her set but don't know what items are necessary/recommended.

My Third Man Records Vault Package finally came in today, and ohhhh boy is this a nice boxset. It's Jack White's 2014 Bonnaroo performance, it's awesome hearing some of those old White Stripes songs with a full band (Hotel Yorba.. with pedal steel and fiddle, oh man!!!), plus he did a bunch of his solo, Raconteur, Dead Weather songs, and a few covers. The mix and mastering is worlds ahead of those YouTube/webstream videos floating around.
hRIFAQP.png
3 LPs, on blue, white, and black. The blue is especially fine looking.
It also comes with a DVD of the whole concert, some "framable" pictures from the concert (and classily, it's not just pictures of Jack White, the band is represented well), a patch, a mysterious USB, and a sticker. It was suppose to come with a tour poster, and that's what I'd imagine the thing on the right is, but it's record size, hardly a poster. Besides that, everything else is fantastic.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Hi guys, need some help.

Last year my sister received a turntable from my parents for Christmas...the thing is, they didn't get her anything else to go with it so it's been sitting in the corner for the past year.

I want to complete her set but don't know what items are necessary/recommended.
What kind of turntable?

reggie186

My Third Man Records Vault Package finally came in today, and ohhhh boy is this a nice boxset. It's Jack White's 2014 Bonnaroo performance, it's awesome hearing some of those old White Stripes songs with a full band (Hotel Yorba.. with pedal steel and fiddle, oh man!!!), plus he did a bunch of his solo, Raconteur, Dead Weather songs, and a few covers. The mix and mastering is worlds ahead of those YouTube/webstream videos floating around.

3 LPs, on blue, white, and black. The blue is especially fine looking.

It also comes with a DVD of the whole concert, some "framable" pictures from the concert (and classily, it's not just pictures of Jack White, the band is represented well), a patch, a mysterious USB, and a sticker. It was suppose to come with a tour poster, and that's what I'd imagine the thing on the right is, but it's record size, hardly a poster. Besides that, everything else is fantastic.

Looks awesome! Can't wait for mine to get here!

My Neil Young boxset finally arrived when I was home for lunch today. Listened to side A of On The Beach, sounds great. I'm listening to Zuma now, what an underrated record, probably my favourite with Crazy Horse (though I have a lot of nostalgia for Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, since my dad played it about a 1000 times growing up).

Also I got a pretty low number which is unusual for me:
Anyways, I got this, the Jack White Bonnaroo 3LP set, and the Wilco boxset in the past month. No more box sets in the next while for me.
Unless something really awesome pops up, of course.

Yesterday I went to an antique shop and found...

Alice Cooper - Love it to Death
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Henry Mancini's original score for "Charade"

I'd been looking of a cheap copy of Love it to Death for a while now, so I was overwhelmed to see it at 20% off no less. Finding Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and especially the great Mancini score after a long dig was just icing on the cake. In the end, I shelled out $15 total but it was well spent.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Got my wife a Crosley for Christmas: http://www.crosleyradio.com/ProductDetail?Cat=2&pk=CR8005A&colorID=0

Before I get flamed that it's a Crosley, I just wanted to get my wife a mint-colored turntable, she loves mint. Anyway, she loved the look of it, etc...however, when we started playing records on it, the platter started wobbling, so I took off the rubber feet that's on the platter and cleaned up all the grease they put on the rotating part.

After doing all that, the records were still skipping, so then I read online that if you put a penny or nickle on the needle arm, it will weigh it down more and create more pressure, this actually worked, the records didn't skip anymore.

Issue we have now is that we don't want to have to always have a nickle on the needle arm. We're exchanging it to Amazon for another model just to see if we got a lemon, but I was curious, for being on a budget, under $200 preferably, any turntable recommendations?

Got my wife a Crosley for Christmas: http://www.crosleyradio.com/ProductDetail?Cat=2&pk=CR8005A&colorID=0

Before I get flamed that it's a Crosley, I just wanted to get my wife a mint-colored turntable, she loves mint. Anyway, she loved the look of it, etc...however, when we started playing records on it, the platter started wobbling, so I took off the rubber feet that's on the platter and cleaned up all the grease they put on the rotating part.

After doing all that, the records were still skipping, so then I read online that if you put a penny or nickle on the needle arm, it will weigh it down more and create more pressure, this actually worked, the records didn't skip anymore.

Issue we have now is that we don't want to have to always have a nickle on the needle arm. We're exchanging it to Amazon for another model just to see if we got a lemon, but I was curious, for being on a budget, under $200 preferably, any turntable recommendations?

THE EIGHT BEST BUDGET TURNTABLES THAT WON’T RUIN YOUR RECORDS

With the age of digital upon us and the decline in CDs I have recently come to the conclusion I want to get rid of a lot of my albums I have collected over the years. I will be mostly going digital with the exception of collecting my favorite albums on vinyl. I love the resurgence of vinyl and all the really cool limited edition pressings that are coming out lately by artists and sites like Waxwork Records.

My problem is I have no idea what vinyl player to get. I really love the Pro-Ject Carbon Tables but the price is kind of a turn off. Mainly due to the fact that this will not be the main primary way I will be listening to the majority of my music. I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck while not shelling out too much cash. I'm looking for:

-Reasonable Price
-Sleek design
-Good quality
-Customization options in case I want to upgrade things as my hobby grows.

Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: I will check the link above as well

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Unfortunately I'm in the US, so I don't have the time to purchase one of these from overseas. I'm needing one before New Years.

I went ahead and purchased this one: http://www.stantondj.com/stanton-turntables/t62.html

I'm going to return the Crosley to Amazon and it's a bummer because my wife really loves the vintage look to her mint Crosley turntable. :(

At the end of the day, we just want a quality turntable that isn't going to break our wallets and is going to last for a very long time and play our records.

Er they are all worldwide brands IIRC. Most of them are even in the OP!

Thats one is actually an entry level DJ turntable as its Direct drive not Belt driven. Some will say for listening you should get belt to reduce noise on the records but yeah that will work alot better than those awful "vintage" ones of amazon.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management

This will probably work just fine for your needs, BUT, that's a short straight arm DJ turntable. The idea behind a short straight arm is that the needle won't jump out of the groove when they're whiggity whiggity scratching it. The problem is the needle doesn't line up with the grooves the same way an S-shapped or long tonearm does. You'll probably get distortion at the beginning and ends of records.

Just ordered a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC as a belated Christmas gift to myself. I'm excited to upgrade from the cheap turntable I've been using, but now I have to decide what the first record I listen to will be!

TTUVAPOR

Banned
This will probably work just fine for your needs, BUT, that's a short straight arm DJ turntable. The idea behind a short straight arm is that the needle won't jump out of the groove when they're whiggity whiggity scratching it. The problem is the needle doesn't line up with the grooves the same way an S-shapped or long tonearm does. You'll probably get distortion at the beginning and ends of records.

Do you mean distortion at the beginning of the first song and end of last song on a record?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Er they are all worldwide brands IIRC. Most of them are even in the OP!

Thats one is actually an entry level DJ turntable as its Direct drive not Belt driven. Some will say for listening you should get belt to reduce noise on the records but yeah that will work alot better than those awful "vintage" ones of amazon.

I'm just really pissed that the Crosley Mint-colored turntable doesn't play the records without skipping. My wife loves that little turntable and now she's going to have an industrial looking turntable because the Crosley is just piss poor quality.

I hate that it turned out this way, but I guess the most important thing is that the turntable needs to play the record correctly.

Still bummed though that Crosleys don't work. I can't imagine they're actually making money on those things...or I wonder if ours just happened to be a lemon?

amnesiac

Crosleys are cheap, convenient, and easy to set up. It's easy to see how they make money and sell a lot of them.

Yours wasn't a lemon or anything, it skips because there is no counterweight, which is a design flaw/choice.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Crosleys are cheap, convenient, and easy to set up. It's easy to see how they make money and sell a lot of them.

Yours wasn't a lemon or anything, it skips because there is no counterweight, which is a design flaw/choice.

Thanks for reasoning. I don't know anything about turntables, so it helps to learn from those who do.

Durask

Here's my three turntables.

This one (TDK) was savaged by online reviewers who didn't even listen to it - most reviews were like "eh, I saw it through a store window and it looked like junk and specs on the site looked crappy" but I think this is a nice one and sounds quite good.

Also build quality is excellent - either metal or some kind of super heavy plastic.

stock image

TDK-Turntable-Gear-Patrol.jpg

This one (U-turn Orbit) came with quite favorable online reviews and I can't stand it. Sound is muddy and lacks detail - even when I changed cartridges.

bla-2_1024x1024.png

This one is an Ebay find 30 something years old in near pristine condition - with a new cartridge it sounds and works great.
The only problem is that this turntable and my stereo receiver dont like eatch other.
When I plug it into the phono input, raising/lowering the arm would send a loud static blast into my speakers. Have to use a separate phono preamp and plug it into a regular audio input.

BapEtTd.jpg

umGDygK.jpg

Ot4t1Xn.jpg

GulAtiCa

Recently bought 2 The Knife vinyl records (Shaking the Habitual and Silent Shout) and Glass Candy record (B/E/A/T/B/O/X). My 1st turntable came today so finally able to check it out.

The Silent Shout one by The Knife sounds great. Slight issue with my Glass Candy as it skips in certain areas... Plays fine otherwise, just skips or makes noises/etc. Wonder if I need to wipe it down or something,maybe if I'm lucky it's just dust.

Cheddahz

Banned
records i got for christmas (vivian girls actually ended up being the limited edition one and the suicidal tendencies is a colored vinyl)

B6D6laNIcAE6Hmt.jpg

my copy of the new ryan hemsworth record should be finally showing up here in a few weeks

Xun

I'm thinking of buying a Pro-Ject Essential II turntable, especially since I'm looking into buying more vinyl.

Anyone here have one?

GulAtiCa

Yep, my Glass Candy record has scratches on it. :/ Damn. So skips forward in certain areas. :(

Only $10, so I'll likely just buy another one later on to replace it.

I'm thinking of buying a Pro-Ject Essential II turntable, especially since I'm looking into buying more vinyl.

Anyone here have one?

I have the Carbon and quite like it.

I also just recently upgraded my receiver from an old Yamaha to a new Yamaha AVENTAGE 1030. The new built in phono pre sounds really really good, much better than the old model. Its black silent and has Killed my desire for a seperate at this point.

Anyone here have one?

I just got a Pro-ject Carbon (I'm listening to it now) and love it. I was going to get the Essential II but a lot of what I read said its worth it to spend the extra $100 on the Carbon because its a better value, so that's what I did. The Essential II is well reviewed too so I'm sure its great, but the Carbon has my recommendation. I'm so psyched to finally have a decent setup, its like all my records are new again.

I have an old Technics turntable (SL-23). What would be the best type of stylus/cartridge to upgrade it to? I am looking to get something great for it and if possible, the best possible combo for my turntable.

kess

The only problem is that this turntable and my stereo receiver dont like eatch other.
When I plug it into the phono input, raising/lowering the arm would send a loud static blast into my speakers. Have to use a separate phono preamp and plug it into a regular audio input.

Ot4t1Xn.jpg

Sony turntables usually have lots and lots of R&D sunk into them, but I've always been spooked by their complexity. I'm always surprised how cheap Biotracers generally sell for considering their insane specs, but when they break it's probably impossible to fix them. Even their belt drives in the 60s used a phototube to control the speed instead of using a synchronous motor like everybody else.

I found the PS-X series to have nice materials and feet and if you flip the mat over, there's a cartridge alignment guide on the other side! It's a nice touch.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yep, my Glass Candy record has scratches on it. :/ Damn. So skips forward in certain areas. :(

Only $10, so I'll likely just buy another one later on to replace it.
You could just email IDIB about it and they'll send a replacement when they have it. They're pretty good about that.

amnesiac

That looks great! Thanks a bunch! I've never changed out a stylus/cartridge before, are there instructions on how to do it included? Or is there a good online guide that can help with proper calibration or since I'm inexperienced, should I pay someone to do it for me?

I have that same cartridge. It comes with instructions. You don't need to hire someone to do it; there are countless guides on Youtube and the internet on how to change cartridges.

Great cartridge, especially for the price!

Xun

I have the Carbon and quite like it.

I also just recently upgraded my receiver from an old Yamaha to a new Yamaha AVENTAGE 1030. The new built in phono pre sounds really really good, much better than the old model. Its black silent and has Killed my desire for a seperate at this point.

I just got a Pro-ject Carbon (I'm listening to it now) and love it. I was going to get the Essential II but a lot of what I read said its worth it to spend the extra $100 on the Carbon because its a better value, so that's what I did. The Essential II is well reviewed too so I'm sure its great, but the Carbon has my recommendation. I'm so psyched to finally have a decent setup, its like all my records are new again.
Thanks guys.

I'm leaning towards the Carbon now.

I can get it for £30 cheaper than the RRP, so I'm tempted to go for it.

Top Bottom