• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

btf1980

Midas said:
What should one listen to who never really listened to the stuff you're listening too? I recognize the names but where do you think I should start? :)

I think Art Blakey, Sonny Rollins, Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean and early Coltrane are good places to start personally.

btf1980

Another big score this weekend!

Impulse 45 rpm reissues - Mingus and Coltrane!
DSC_0004-31.jpg

Music Matters 45 rpm reissues - Wayne Short & John Jenkins/Kenny Burrell
DSC_0005-31.jpg

Gatefolds of the Wayne Shorter and Burrell/Jenkins Music Matters albums
DSC_0012-14.jpg

DSC_0013-12.jpg

Insert of the flyer in the Impulse albums.
DSC_0008-23.jpg

MOFI - Marvin Gaye (these are wonderful)
DSC_0010-15.jpg

The rest of the haul - Mostly Prestige 45rpms by Kevin Gray & Steve Hoffman.

DSC_0014-7.jpg

btf1980

Managed to score a 45rpm version of the alternate take of Flamenco Sketches from Kind of Blue. This is long out of print and commands a lot of dinero!!

DSC_0002-37.jpg

DSC_0003-36.jpg

Two 10" Miles Davis Blue Note titles.

DSC_0008-24.jpg

45rpm of St. James Infirmary/I Ain't Got Nobody by Louis Armstrong

DSC_0010-16.jpg

DSC_0011-12.jpg

Overlee

Polyvinyl was having some crazy deals in their online store and I just couldn't resist, here is everything I got for just over $50 including shipping:

of Montreal - Sunlandic Twins on yellow vinyl w/ a bonus 12'' on blue vinyl
of Montreal - Hissing Fauna are you the Destroyer? on double 180 gram vinyl
Headlights - Wildlife
Headlights - Kill Them with Kindness

Headlights - Keep Your Friends And Loves Close. Keep The City You Call Home Closer cd/ep
Headlights - The Enemies cd/ep
Mates of State - Two of Us dvd

and they threw in a bunch of free stuff with my order including some stickers, a poster, 2 cd samplers and some Airhead candy.

2uihmbd.jpg

I have the mofi marvin gaye releases on SACD and they truly are fantastic, im sure the LP are just as good if not better. Im gonna get some of the hoffman/grey remasters this weekend.

btf1980

You can say I have a bit of a problem with my vinyl expenditure. It's like crack! Listening to the 45 rpm version Power of the Orchestra now, and WOW!! Mostly 45 rpm stuff.

Here's my latest haul.

DSC_0030-2.jpg

DSC_0004-35.jpg

DSC_0031-1.jpg

DSC_0017-11.jpg

DSC_0014-9.jpg

DSC_0029-4.jpg

DSC_0021-6.jpg

DSC_0022-5.jpg

DSC_0023-4.jpg

DSC_0024-4.jpg

DSC_0025-4.jpg

DSC_0027-3.jpg

Yeah i know how that goes i use to spend a lot on records too. It can be very addicting. Good pick ups btw

are you a cal tjader fan at all.

FnordChan

I'm looking at picking up a new turntable in the near future and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, especially for a USB capable turntable. USB isn't crucial, I suppose, but I do like the idea of converting some of my collection, assuming the sound is good from any of the models out there.

FnordChan, waiting for several records to ship from People's Potential Unlimited

thefit

FnordChan said:
I'm looking at picking up a new turntable in the near future and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, especially for a USB capable turntable. USB isn't crucial, I suppose, but I do like the idea of converting some of my collection, assuming the sound is good from any of the models out there.

FnordChan, waiting for several records to ship from People's Potential Unlimited

Don't waste you time and money on some dinky usb turntable for the same amount of cash you could snatch a nice heavy old school Pioneer or other brand from the golden age from craigslist. You want to maintain you vinyl in good shape for years and subjecting it to these modern usb things isn't a good idea unless its like for just ripping stuff otherwise take your time and look for something old and proven but definitely start with Pioneer they did some damn good work in the 70's. I have several turntables ranging from a 50's callaro/magnavox vintage cobra head to a 70's era direct drive sansui that would outperform anything off the shelf from bestbuy anyday.

I've recently gotten a Project Debut III, still need decent speakers and some sort of amp I imagine.

Could anyone suggest both? Best quality to cost ratio, hoping to spend less than $250 on each, individually.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
My Enslaved box-set finally arrived:

Enslavedbox1.jpg

Enslavedbox2.jpg

Enslavedbox3.jpg

Enslavedbox4.jpg

Enslavedbox5.jpg

180g green vinyl. Only listened to a couple of albums thus far but it sounds fantastic considering the source material.

Okay, forgive me if this has been asked. I'm a total neophyte. If I were to buy a turntable (for listening, not scratching), new, something better than the fixed-cartridge consumer models and less expensive than a Technics 1200, what do I buy? Something by Audio Technica?

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I now have a record player in my room , i am gonna pick up some pink floyd records

Alucrid

Banned
Skittleguy said:
I'm a poor university student, so I just got the one from Costco :|

Ditto I bought an ion one from somewhere for $100 ish. As such I'm not well versed in the quality and types of record players. I'll keep this bumped though since it'll be important once I get a bit more cash flow.

WEGGLES

Don't get a cheapo turntable, not worth it.

They don't have a counterweight so they're likely to damage your records. Take the time to save up for a decent TT.

Alucrid

Banned
WEGGLES said:
Don't get a cheapo turntable, not worth it.

They don't have a counterweight so they're likely to damage your records. Take the time to save up for a decent TT.

Shit...really?

blame space said:
Check out what I found for 50 cents!

7ysav5v.jpg

I think they're a noise band...

I really want to listen to it but I have no cassette player :(

OH DUDE!!! I've seen unsane countless times, perhaps not this Millenium though. Brutal blues noise rock, awesome shit.

Another CD production facility went under recently whilst Vinyl production is ramping up quite considerably. Vinyls going nowhere. I've still got all my 80s hip hop and shit, some awesome rare stuff.

Hola GAF,
\ I was thinking of getting girlfriend a decent record player for Christmas. She has a whole bunch of nice records from her parents (Led Zep, Bowie, all in perfect condition!) but no record player.

So what should I get? Where should I get it? And how much am I looking to spend?

Thanks in advance

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
what do you guys think of the pro-ject debut III TT?
they can be bought for 80€-150€ used on ebay

i have an 80s technics (ruber is broken) TT but i wanted a TT that looked more stylish and so i would like to get one of these...

since i just discovered that my dad has a huge collection of music from the 70s and 80s... i was like wow... from the very first kraftwerk to all the beatles / led zepp. records etc... its gonna be funtastic to listen to them

sankt-Antonio said:
It's a great basic turntable but mind you it doesn't have automatic speed toggle so if you play alot of 7"s (or any other 45rpm records) you will need a speedbox (unless you want to pick it up and manually switch the speed everytime you want to play a 7").

Got some more 7":s coming in today, like almost everyday heh

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
sankt-Antonio said:

i have an 80s technics (ruber is broken) TT but i wanted a TT that looked more stylish and so i would like to get one of these...

since i just discovered that my dad has a huge collection of music from the 70s and 80s... i was like wow... from the very first kraftwerk to all the beatles / led zepp. records etc... its gonna be funtastic to listen to them

Great deck and unbeatable at its price.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
i dont like automatic TT (when i go oldschool i want to go oldschool XD )
and all records i have now are 33 - i wont buy any singles soon

oracrest

sankt-Antonio said:
i dont like automatic TT (when i go oldschool i want to go oldschool XD )
and all records i have now are 33 - i wont buy any singles soon

Be careful, many records are being reissued in 45RPM format. More and more it seems.

Witchfinder General said:
Great deck and unbeatable at its price.

I'm also pretty interested in the Pro-ject turntable, could anyone recommend some equipment to go with it? I want to get an entire new setup so as well as the turntable i need an amp and speakers to start. That sort of price range the Pro-ject is in is exactly what I'm going for, something not too expensive but not budget crap either.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Charmicarmicat said:
I'm also pretty interested in the Pro-ject turntable, could anyone recommend some equipment to go with it? I want to get an entire new setup so as well as the turntable i need an amp and speakers to start. That sort of price range the Pro-ject is in is exactly what I'm going for, something not too expensive but not budget crap either.

Sure.

What are your music tastes? (don't say "I listen to everything" because that's bullshit)
Room size?
Room shape?
Treatment? (Lots of glass, carpet?)
Do you want to crank the system every so often and do you want to be able to fill the room with sound?

Answer the above and I should be able to help.

Witchfinder General said:
Sure.

What are your music tastes? (don't say "I listen to everything" because that's bullshit)
Room size?
Room shape?
Treatment? (Lots of glass, carpet?)
Do you want to crank the system every so often and do you want to be able to fill the room with sound?

Answer the above and I should be able to help.

I listen to everything :D Seriously though, mostly rock and metal i guess, I do listen to a lot but them genres are the most important to me. I listen to quite a lot of stuff with unexpected instruments for their genres too, so for example Mr. Bungle who are a rock band but with a lot of Saxophone, or Secret Chiefs who are based in very middle-eastern music but also have heavy guitars at points. The system will only be in a bedroom, about 12'x12' roughly off the top of my head, just a standard carpeted room. And there will be no need to crank it really due to pretty thin walls in our house. So something sounding good at average listening volume, whatever that it :lol

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Anyone know of a good place to get out-of-print vinyl that won't bankrupt me?

Specifically, I'm looking for Feels by Animal Collective.

Woot. I found a 220W Sony amp from the 90s with a phono input for $15. Hooked up my family's old Pioneer PL-200 and I'm in business. I just need to get the cartridge replaced with a Grado Black or something similar. And I need to learn how to clean these used Gilberto/Jobim bossa nova records I bought. First new albums I've got are DJ Shadow's Endtroducing and Can's Future Days. :D

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Charmicarmicat said:
I listen to everything :D Seriously though, mostly rock and metal i guess, I do listen to a lot but them genres are the most important to me. I listen to quite a lot of stuff with unexpected instruments for their genres too, so for example Mr. Bungle who are a rock band but with a lot of Saxophone, or Secret Chiefs who are based in very middle-eastern music but also have heavy guitars at points. The system will only be in a bedroom, about 12'x12' roughly off the top of my head, just a standard carpeted room. And there will be no need to crank it really due to pretty thin walls in our house. So something sounding good at average listening volume, whatever that it :lol

Oooookay:

*Cracks knuckles*

For good sound at low volumes you need lots of power.
Taking your requirements into account I'd go with the following:

NAD C326 (or C315 if you're skint) w/NAD PP2 for the phonostage
Speakers would be the Krix Equinox MKII (I'm pretty sure they have distrubution in the US)

Cabling, grab some Chord Co. Carnival speaker cable.

Meaty, detailed and fun, the above coupled with your Pro-Ject Debut III would be a great entry-level system.

Keep in mind this is simply a personal suggestion. I urge you to go to your local, friendly Hi-Fi store and demo equipment for yourself with some of your favourite songs.

WEGGLES

Anyone know what's causing this/how to fix.

All of a sudden my record player seems staticy, dust is drawn to the records. Touching it makes it click and tic, and as it plays records they give off clicks and tics. (not the usual ones, though. Also these records are brand new)

What's causing all this static and how do I get rid of it?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
WEGGLES said:
Anyone know what's causing this/how to fix.

All of a sudden my record player seems staticy, dust is drawn to the records. Touching it makes it click and tic, and as it plays records they give off clicks and tics. (not the usual ones, though. Also these records are brand new)

What's causing all this static and how do I get rid of it?

Normally, when you remove a record from its sleeve it creates friction which in turn creates static which in turn causes pops and clicks. Get an anti-static record brush.

There's also the likelihood that your stylus is rather dirty. A stylus brush (a good one that has tiny micro-fibres, not the ones that look like toothbrushes) should help clean it.

thefit

Charmicarmicat said:

Try the swap meets and thrift stores your sure to find gold sooner or later. If you find anything 70's or older from Pioneer or Marantz grab it quick! Heres a few pics of some of the receivers I use for my music I also have newer receivers I don't have pics off.

These are 2 pioneer amps the bottom one is a SX-626 wich sounds great
qr0wb4.jpg

These are the speakers I'm running on the amps the thing on top is the am/fm receiver for the pioneer SA-6500II amp. The speakers are pioneer cs-99a

2rosygn.jpg

Heres a nice 70's kenwood that is dismantled and I'm getting ready to recap.

35n92j6.jpg

and heres my mono bi-tube amp connected to the original speakers and the tube pre-amp. Its functional and cranks a whopping 40w of warm sound. The pre-amp has its original collaro turntable that I re-built but currently I have it sleeping because I want to replace all the caps on the amp and pre-amp to get it like new again I just replaced one bad 6v6 tube on it. My Beatles and other mono alums I have sound great on this.

25a7y11.jpg

WEGGLES

Excellent, thankyou.

Glad it's not something wrong with my turntable :)

Would something like this be good for a record brush? It has a velvet like feel to it.

And what would be a good stylus brush, and any precautions with cleaning the stylus?

And do I need to brush every record every time I play it?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
WEGGLES said:
Excellent, thankyou.

Glad it's not something wrong with my turntable :)

Would something like this be good for a record brush? It has a velvet like feel to it.

And what would be a good stylus brush, and any precautions with cleaning the stylus?

And do I need to brush every record every time I play it?

Nah, I hate those velvet brushes. Get a carbon-fibre brush. And yes, brush the record every time you play it.

When cleaning the stylus brush from the back of the cantilever to the stylus tip, not the other way round. Also, make sure your amp is switched to a different input lest you want to blow your speaker cones.

WEGGLES

Excellent, thankyou.

Some stores have stylus cleaning fluids, are those necessary? Is any fluid necessary for cleaning records/stylus?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
WEGGLES said:
Excellent, thankyou.

Some stores have stylus cleaning fluids, are those necessary? Is any fluid necessary for cleaning records/stylus?

Never, EVER use a stylus cleaning fluid. Easiest way to stuff a stylus. Record cleaning fluids are fine, just don't play the record until its dried.

WEGGLES

Ah excellent, Some time in the near future i'll have to track down a carbon fibre brush then. Thanks for all the help :)

Off that I haven't had an issue with static until now since I've been listening to records for 3 years now.

btf1980

Fusebox said:
btf1980, would you still listen to half of that music if it was on CD?

I have most of that music ripped to either ALAC or FLAC on my server. They were CDs once. So yes.

Top Bottom