• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Greyvvolf

Action Bronson's Mr. Wonderful is finally releasing on vinyl. I just pre-ordered the bundle.

Here is the link to the vinyl and cassette bundle to pre-order. Warner will have the white colored vinyl, which is limited to 1,000.

Action Bronson's Mr. Wonderful is finally releasing on vinyl. I just pre-ordered the bundle.

Here is the link to the vinyl and cassette bundle to pre-order. Warner will have the white colored vinyl, which is limited to 1,000.

Awesome, I was looking forward to this release. Different label, but I'm hoping they announce a vinyl release for To Pimp a Butterfly. I'm surprised they haven't already.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

well its about damn time.

Wreav

Banned
Rescued my parent's collection over the weekend. Tons of 70's rock in here, gotta go through it soon. Chilled to some Frampton Comes Alive last night, great stuff.

11377601_450024168491519_1312636950_n.jpg

wenis

Hey fellow vinyl collectors! I'm looking for a new record player and saw this beautiful piece on Kickstarters. Thoughts anyone?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gramovox/floating-recordtm-vertical-turntable?ref=video

CI4IsT2VEAUTWYw.jpg

That's the scariest shit I ever saw. It's like a torture rack for your records.

love your records. keep them horizontal.

Like, I get wanting to show off your shit, but how often are you worrying about people spilling beer over your records or whatever? That's why we have lids to our record players.
The money you would spend on this Kickstarter would be better spent on a starter table from Pro Ject.

That's the scariest shit I ever saw. It's like a torture rack for your records.

love your records. keep them horizontal.

Like, I get wanting to show off your shit, but how often are you worrying about people spilling beer over your records or whatever? That's why we have lids to our record players.
The money you would spend on this Kickstarter would be better spent on a starter table from Pro Ject.

I usually keep my records in my office/ art studio (which is temporary not up because I just moved to another state) so I thought this record player would be a cool way to display and play my records. Also, I don't drink so the beer situation doesn't worry me, lol.

Thank you for your feedback. I'm just thinking about getting it but I might just get a different setup.

wenis

Personally I'd wait and see. The tech doesn't sound reliable and just off my history and knowledge something about the counter weight bouncing around on warped record, even just slightly wavey. Aye.

I guess it all depends if you don't mind being the guinea pig on this project. Seems super iffy to me.

Isn't any turntable with speakers built in a pretty much an instant no go? Let's vibrate the chassis of the thing we are trying to isolate vibrations from.

Wreav

Banned
Going through the collection my parents handed down to me...hoooo boy, some awesome stuff in here. Jackets are mostly in rough condition from being stored horizontally, but the vinyl is in great shape.

11427278_690534734383298_1083969746_n.jpg

11378016_791444790970210_816476697_n.jpg

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Hey I also just grabbed Sports this week from the Goodwill. Also got a couple Bach records, one of which was never opened and still had the $3.99 Tower Records price tag on it.

pablito

Electric Wizard - Dopethrone will finally be mine. That was the first record I've wanted on LP, but it's always been too expensive for a non standard color. Got the purple. Thank god for reissues.

andylsun

Just got back from a holiday in England.

Didn't go nuts has I had a fixed budget, but picked up the following

Both Pink Floyd are 70's reissues which is fine. Not hunting for first pressings of those but wanted early UK releases.

Mind Bomb is one of my all time favorites and now I need to find Dusk (if it came out on vinyl).

not pictured, Orbital In-sides, missing one of the three records, but Girl with the sun in her head was present and correct so it's all good.

Mono With the Beatles. Has some mould on the record but wood glue should pull that right off.

Oz7cl6Xl.jpg

Edit: listening to Echoes on vinyl for the first time with my STAX cans. Damn this is good.

I just purchased more records than I should have for what feels like the third time within the past few months.

I grabbed:

Jim Adkins - Single Series
Against Me! - White/Black Crosses 3xLP
Against Me! - upcoming live album 3xLP (album title may be NSFW)

Also hi Vinyl GAF! I look forward to reading and posting in here some more in the future. I'll try to share my favorite records in my collection when I'm able to have all of it in one place.

Received my Jaime XX In Colour 3 LP edition last night, put it on :( Ugh not a great pressing. Seemed really crackly, even for a 45 and also seemed really quiet. Might have to return this one. What a fucking bummer, really enjoy that album. I need to give it another listen, but so far this is looking like a no go.

Edit: Anyone know how the single LP 33 edition compares?

Atrophis

Received my Jaime XX In Colour 3 LP edition last night, put it on :( Ugh not a great pressing. Seemed really crackly, even for a 45 and also seemed really quiet. Might have to return this one. What a fucking bummer, really enjoy that album. I need to give it another listen, but so far this is looking like a no go.

Edit: Anyone know how the single LP 33 edition compares?

I don't know if its better but I've heard nothing but bad things about the 3LP edition. I wanted the single LP edition anyway so anyone with an answer would be appreciated.

I don't know if its better but I've heard nothing but bad things about the 3LP edition. I wanted the single LP edition anyway so anyone with an answer would be appreciated.

Yeah, I think it has to go back. It would have been nice to have a good 45 with all them sexy colored wax but no way in hell I can deal with those sound issue in the long run. Guess I will go for the single LP 33 next and see how that goes.

From Mondo at SDCC.
Speaking of le Mondo, while I have plenty of stacks I had no idea they acquired Death Waltz Records- in fact, I wasn't even aware of DWR until two weeks ago. Being a HUGE fan of Italian exploitation and 70s/80s horror synth scores, imagine my shock and surprise to scan their site.... I immediately bought five and they arrived this week. The quality from the packaging to the reissued sound is incredible, already listened to the set, just blew my mind over and over.... You can of course YouTube these old scores but holy hell does they sound wonderful pumped through analog. Really helps me write.

Day Fucking One on their Twin Peaks re-issues.

Some pictures of the five I just bought (not mine) again, I can't recommend these enough if they left an impression on you while viewing their respective films:

nitewulf

Hey fellow vinyl collectors! I'm looking for a new record player and saw this beautiful piece on Kickstarters. Thoughts anyone?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gramovox/floating-recordtm-vertical-turntable?ref=video

CI4IsT2VEAUTWYw.jpg

that's ridiculous, it's like designing specifically for bad sound. all of a turntable's complexity is engineered to reduce vibrations, some are so over engineered that they cost hundred's of thousands of dollars. here we have some weirdo looking to make a quick buck by duping kids.

wenis

I must've lucked out because mine is super clean and clear.

andylsun

That's awful. My technics SL-7 is designed to be played horizonally or vertically, and I'd never use it vertically - it's also got 12V DC input so you can use it in a car! Technics did have vertical specific versions of their linear trackers (SL-V5 at http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SL-V5.html), but linear tracking vertically is a lot easier than pivot.

I tweeted @youngturks records to let them know a batch of hot garbage versions of the Jaime XX In Colour Deluxe edition were out there. Seems like there was a shit batch and I got the stinkers.

@gutterboy the plan had a manufacturing problem and a small batch sound awful. please return to where you bought from for a replacement. tnx

For someone looking into those beautiful Miles Davis LPs, where should I go next? I currently have Kind of Blue and the Jack Johnson score, was thinking of grabbing Round About Midnight, Miles Ahead, and Milestones next- do those three sound solid?

nitewulf

For someone looking into those beautiful Miles Davis LPs, where should I go next? I currently have Kind of Blue and the Jack Johnson score, was thinking of grabbing Round About Midnight, Miles Ahead, and Milestones next- do those three sound solid?

which versions are you talking about? are you talking about version quality or the quality of the music? they are all great albums, but not sure which pressings you are referring to. I'd suggest picking up "Somethin' Else" from MusicMatters, which is essentially a Miles Davis record.

For Round About Midnight and Milestones, these are good reissues:
http://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Round-About-Midnight/release/4493899
http://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Milestones/release/5761789

I see that Mobile Fidelity reissued these as well, which should be very good, as they source from original tapes and overall have a very high quality process.

which versions are you talking about? are you talking about version quality or the quality of the music? they are all great albums, but not sure which pressings you are referring to. I'd suggest picking up "Somethin' Else" from MusicMatters, which is essentially a Miles Davis record.

For Round About Midnight and Milestones, these are good reissues:
http://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Round-About-Midnight/release/4493899
http://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Milestones/release/5761789

I see that Mobile Fidelity reissued these as well, which should be very good, as they source from original tapes and overall have a very high quality process.
In answer to your first question, both. Was looking at the very re-issues you mentioned and wanted to know what the quality was audio wise and in terms of his music/discography, haven't heard much besides Kind of Blue, JJ, Modern Giants, Bitches Brew, and Sketches of Spain- now I feel the urgent need to go deeper into the fundamentals of Monsieur Davis.

Thanks for your input!

Top Bottom