• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Just a heads up for Gorillaz fans - looks like the 2015 reissue of their self titled is popping up in some stores in the US. It's a UK print, but I've seen it in a couple of shops here. Picked one up myself, so I now actually have the whole discography on vinyl (apart from the DD instrumentals and The Fall).

So my gf has been collecting records for awhile now and I'm probably going to get her a record player for her birthday. I'm just not sure about the type she wants... she really likes the Crosley suitcase type players that they sell at Urban Outfitters. Are those any good? I'm hoping it's at least serviceable for a first record player.

Just a heads up for Gorillaz fans - looks like the 2015 reissue of their self titled is popping up in some stores in the US. It's a UK print, but I've seen it in a couple of shops here. Picked one up myself, so I now actually have the whole discography on vinyl (apart from the DD instrumentals and The Fall).

Ugh, they've done so many represses of that I feel like. I see that in record stores fairly often. They really need to repress Demon Days, it's the only one I'm missing besides the instrumentals (which I don't really care about).

robotrock

Banned
So my gf has been collecting records for awhile now and I'm probably going to get her a record player for her birthday. I'm just not sure about the type she wants... she really likes the Crosley suitcase type players that they sell at Urban Outfitters. Are those any good? I'm hoping it's at least serviceable for a first record player

Nope, do not buy one of those.

So my gf has been collecting records for awhile now and I'm probably going to get her a record player for her birthday. I'm just not sure about the type she wants... she really likes the Crosley suitcase type players that they sell at Urban Outfitters. Are those any good? I'm hoping it's at least serviceable for a first record player.

Ugh, they've done so many represses of that I feel like. I see that in record stores fairly often. They really need to repress Demon Days, it's the only one I'm missing besides the instrumentals (which I don't really care about).

Don't buy a Crosley, buy an Audio Technica LP-60. Same price, won't eat her records.

I don't say that to be mean or snobby, it's just that Crosley's don't even have adjustable weight on their arms, so they can and will damage records as well as sounding kinda bad.

Don't buy a Crosley, buy an Audio Technica LP-60. Same price, won't eat her records.

I don't say that to be mean or snobby, it's just that Crosley's don't even have adjustable weight on their arms, so they can and will damage records as well as sounding kinda bad.

Nope, do not buy one of those.

Thanks, my gut was telling me they weren't any good but I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. The price isn't the issue so much as how the record player actually looks. She'd definitely be disappointed with the look of the LP-60, but I should just explain how shitty those suitcase players actually are.

Mr. Doop

Thanks, my gut was telling me they weren't any good but I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. The price isn't the issue so much as how the record player actually looks. She'd definitely be disappointed with the look of the LP-60, but I should just explain how shitty those suitcase players actually are.

Yeah, Crosley players should be avoided at all costs. The fact that they are as widespread as they are is kind of sad. I have an lp-60 and it works amazingly well.

I mean if looks are the biggest thing that matters, get her the one that she really wants. If she doesn't care as much about the sound or keeping records around forever a Crosley would be totally fine. Just avoid them if she's looking to seriously get into collecting or play rare albums or something.

I mean if looks are the biggest thing that matters, get her the one that she really wants. If she doesn't care as much about the sound or keeping records around forever a Crosley would be totally fine. Just avoid them if she's looking to seriously get into collecting or play rare albums or something.

I'll just have to do some research to find a good turntable that matches her style. She has some of her parent's old records so I'd rather not buy her one that will ruin them. I feel like most good turntables have that "DJ" style to them that she wouldn't go for.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
buy her a crosley and have someone mod the guts of it so its ya know... a good record player.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
19131026963_402905465c_b.jpg

Have exhausted my local sources, so I've taken to ordering directly from Japan for my fix now.

Bread & Butter - Surf City + Second Serenade
Yu Imai - A Cool Evening
Yoshitaka Minami - Daydream

Been wanting to hear the Imai album for a long time and could never even find a digital rip. Daydream has a sick embossed oil painting sleeve, front and back.

wenis

hey guys. I'm looking to see if anyone owns a pair of Audioengine speakers and their thoughts on them.

I'm about 75% sure right now I'm ordering a pair of P4's next week and just wanted some more thoughts on their products and service. All the reviews I've read have been extremely positive for the quality and consistency in their product lines, but I just need a few more opinions to push me over the edge.

or are their A5+ better and worth the extra $150?

Greyvvolf

hey guys. I'm looking to see if anyone owns a pair of Audioengine speakers and their thoughts on them.

I'm about 75% sure right now I'm ordering a pair of P4's next week and just wanted some more thoughts on their products and service. All the reviews I've read have been extremely positive for the quality and consistency in their product lines, but I just need a few more opinions to push me over the edge.

I have the Audioengine A2+ speakers and they sound and look great. I bought the A2+ speakers as they had great reviews and the price was around what I was looking for.

I have the A5+, I got them 3 weeks ago. So far I'm very impressed with them. No need for a sub, they have a nice range, they do a great job filling up my living room, and they're a good size if you're trying to keep your audio set up from getting unruly.

Chinner

Banned
can anybody suggest any decent speakers? looking to spend up to 100 pounds or so.

or does the lack of response mean that i need to go higher?

wenis

I have the A5+, I got them 3 weeks ago. So far I'm very impressed with them. No need for a sub, they have a nice range, they do a great job filling up my living room, and they're a good size if you're trying to keep your audio set up from getting unruly.
How is your setup all connected? Are you bypassing a receiver entirely with the A5's if your table has a built in pre-amp? I like the idea that they have beefier bass and a wider soundstage.

First negative review I've seen for P4's

Chinner

Banned
I've really gotten into vinyl recently, and I'm thinking of getting rid of my current player (a cheap player which will probably damage my stuff eventually) for something that will preserve my records and actually get decent sound quality out of.

This is what I've got figured out so far...

Rega RP1
fvyCTvG.jpg

(I'll try and get this used, and then use the price discount to get the performance pack, probably).

Pre- Amp

???

Amp

????

Speakers:

Audioengine A2 + or A5+
m6K2Lok.jpg

(Depending on price, for amazon I can get the white A5+ for 199 at the moment on Amazon, as opposed to the price for the black/wooden for 300+). Maybe.

The Pre-amp + amp stuff is what is confusing me at the moment. Too many options, I mean, I could get an pre amp + ampand passive speakers, or just get a pre-amp and active speakers.

I'm looking for entry level/ affordable with this stuff. I'm fairly certain on the Rega RP1, but everything else I'm not so sure on.

Anyone have any suggestions?

wenis

ah no problem. I think that Rega 1 coupled with a pair of A2+'s could be the best and cheapest way to go. The P4's and an amp/receiver is the way I'm headed at the moment, but that's an extra 50 I think. A5+ Might be overkill unless you want to future proof yourself for at least a couple years until you get that itch to upgrade again.

Chinner

Banned
ah no problem. I think that Rega 1 coupled with a pair of A2+'s could be the best and cheapest way to go. The P4's and an amp/receiver is the way I'm headed at the moment, but that's an extra 50 I think. A5+ Might be overkill unless you want to future proof yourself for at least a couple years until you get that itch to upgrade again.

I didn't consider the P4 but i'll look into it. Any recommendation on the amp and stuff?

Atrophis

For phono preamp the Cambridge Audio 551P is the best bang for your buck. Widely considered the best entry level phono preamp. Just £70 new.

If you need an amp for passive speakers...eh pretty much any entry level audiophile integrated amp will do the trick. Denon, Marantz, NAD, Rotel, Cambridge Audio...they all have good integrated amps you can buy second hand for dirt cheap on ebay. You don't really need to worry about the details too much, anything you buy will have no trouble running a pair of small bookshelf speakers and if you get a phono preamp you don't need to worry about inbuilt phono stages.

Personal recommendations for entry level integrated amp - NAD C320BEE. A buddy of mine had one of these and it sounds very good. Long considered one of the best entry level integrated amps. Should be able to get one on ebay between £40 - £70. Its not much of a looker but its the sound that counts.

Chinner

Banned
thanks atrophis, i appreciate you taking the time to respond. i'll look into those things that you suggested.

i'm a little to reluctant to play my vinyls at the moment because my current is deck will slowly damage them :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Not sure who else cares, but they just announced a reissue boxset of Harmonia's albums that Dieter Moebius was working on before he passed away this week.

Harmonia = Cluster + Neu's guitarist (+ Brian Eno for one album)

http://www.harmonia1973.com

amnesiac

Some highlights from the past month or so.

ZsFhRYn.jpg

David Bowie - Low
Brian Eno - Before and After Science
Gang Starr - Moment of Truth
My Morning Jacket - The Waterfall (signed by the band)
Ride - Going Blank Again
A Tribe Called Quest - I Left My Wallet in El Segundo 12"
Blur - The Magic Whip
Tame Impala - Currents (purple/amber vinyl)

bnrKJsI.jpg

This is the Vinyl Films Records 10" box set. It includes all the 10" records released on Vinyl Films records from Mark Kozelek, Sun Kil Moon, Eluvium, Mono, Low, and Mike McCreedy.

afpGN9u.jpg

Wilco - Alpha Mike Foxtrot 4LP box set. This is a rarities collection. And as with all Wilco vinyl, it sounds great.

wgm4GVv.jpg

Some 7"s.

Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)/Bishop's Robes (white vinyl)
Spiritualized - Electricity
Spiritualized - The Abbey Road EP (this features a great live version of Broken Heart - check it out)

robotrock

Banned
I was checking out Amazon and noticed they're taking pre-orders for Dangerdoom's Mouse and the Mask so it's probably getting reissued. It's $30 and releasing August 21st. I've been trying to get it for awhile now but the prices have been crazy online so this is good news for me.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AO9O8K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Is this the same release as this? http://shop.lexrecords.com/products/the-mouse-and-the-mask-vinyl-reissue

The Amazon doesn't specify whether it's "deluxe" or not. I'd like to hope so though.

As of 8am yesterday morning, my Wilco collection is..... COMPLETE!!!!!!!!!! Look here's proof:

That's all 8 studio albums, the three Mermaid Avenue albums, the Alpha Mike Foxtrot rarities and b-sides boxset, Kicking Television live album boxset, and the 10" Speak Into Roses. For now... I wait for the Star Wars vinyl release in November....

wenis

As of 8am yesterday morning, my Wilco collection is..... COMPLETE!!!!!!!!!! Look here's proof:

That's all 8 studio albums, the three Mermaid Avenue albums, the Alpha Mike Foxtrot rarities and b-sides boxset, Kicking Television live album boxset, and the 10" Speak Into Roses. For now... I wait for the Star Wars vinyl release in November....

Are you interested in an A.M. repress done by Vinyl Me Please? because that's the next ROTM over there.

vidSQw0.jpg

Exclusive VMP-edition features:

180g red-tangerine vinyl
Gatefold sleeve
New insert design with handwritten lyrics from Jeff Tweedy
12″x12″ original art print by Ryder Evan Robison
shamelessly also plugging that if you sign up with one of my referrals we both get a randomly selected LP from the VMP guys in that months order :)

Are you interested in an A.M. repress done by Vinyl Me Please? because that's the next ROTM over there.

shamelessly also plugging that if you sign up with one of my referrals we both get a randomly selected LP from the VMP guys in that months order :)

I've been thinking about it, the price for Canadians is a little high, but I do love AM... If I decide to join I'll PM you and we can get that extra LP!

As of 8am yesterday morning, my Wilco collection is..... COMPLETE!
So jelly... Those look and sound beautiful I'm sure, I've been really impressed by the three releases I've purchased.

I've personally been tempted this week by LPs for Dario Argento's films (Tenebre, Profundo Russo, Suspiria) but copies are upwards of 40$, yeesh.

wenis

Ordered a pair of white Audioengine P4's today. Now the excruciating wait begins.

Apparently they have a 30 day demo period and if you're not happy with the speakers you can return them. Pretty good.

Top Bottom