• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
What's vinyl me please like? What records have you gotten?
It's been nice so far. Their records of the month I've received are:

Madvillain - Madvillainy
RL Burnside -Too Bad Jim
Perfume Genius - Too Bright
Ben Webster Quintet - Soulville
Youth Lagoon - The Year of Hibernation
Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear
J Dilla - Donuts
Menomena - Friend & Foe
Torres - Sprinter

So they're still developing and listening to their subscribers on how to make the selections better or varied and even down to the minutia of having propylene lined inner bags for the records of the month to prevent splits and damage in shipping (I have been lucky so far and have not had any major issues, their shipping boxes are incredibly sturdy and well made and they have the phrase "for the Love of music, please do not bend" slapped prominently on both sides).

Their customer service is fantastic, seems to be a small crew of people running this thing and the head guys are all very personable and post in the member only forums and actively engage and answer pretty much any questions you throw at them.

Like I said before they're still developing the process on how they Choose the record of the month, but it seems like the formula they've got currently works. A couple of those albums (perfume genius/Torres/FJM) I might've never listened to in the first place, but now I'd gladly put I love you Honeybear in my top ten of the year easily.

All that and they have a private store that is just now starting to get special, just for them, pressings of Out of print stuff starting this month is pretty rad (that and they're open to price matching before their shop opens at the end of the month if you manage to find a record they're selling cheaper elsewhere). But yea having a private store to pick stuff that might be tough to find otherwise is great.

Overall I'm very pleased with what they've offered as their monthly record and what they sell in their store. Their prices are more than fair, shipping is free for domestic subscribers, their art prints that come with the monthly are usually rad as shit and the drink selection they prepare are tasty as hell.

I think it's a great service and would gladly endorse it as long as prospective subscribers are open, I mean genuinely open to new music. I mean you can go flip them later but damn why would you?

Erekiddo

Wow! I had no idea the instrumentals were on vinyl. I have the regular (well, the limited edition) record.

Yeah, I have the regular version too but had been hunting for this one ever since I found out about its existence.

It's puzzling why Demon Days never got a repress.

Macadinho

Banned
I think it's a great service and would gladly endorse it as long as prospective subscribers are open, I mean genuinely open to new music. I mean you can go flip them later but damn why would you?

Awesome, went through their records of the month for the past year and I'd definitely listen to all of them. Seems like a no brainer

Mr. Doop

Demon Days is my most wanted album on vinyl. I can't see myself ever dropping that much money on one album though.

In other news, I have all of the Kanye West albums that have official releases now.

0aA2kH3.jpg
The College Dropout pressing is pretty bad, I really just bought it for collection purposes. The other three all sound great.

It was a pretty good weekend for my Bob Dylan collection. We have just one store in town that sells old records, so I know the guy who runs it fairly well at this point. A few months ago I told him I was trying to collect every Dylan record. He laughed and said he doesn't get that many Dylan records in. After that point, nearly every weekend, I'd go in there and he'd have a random Bob Dylan record. Great stuff like Blood on the Tracks and Nashville Skyline. Less great stuff like Infidels and Real Live. For the past few weeks he's been very surprised every weekend when I come in and grab a new Dylan record, two weeks ago he said "this is it! There's no way more Bob Dylan records are coming in". Then I came in last weekend and he had a copy of John Wesley Harding. Again, he repeated "ok this is it, there's no possible way I'll have more Bob Dylan records next weekend".
So I stroll in on Saturday and low and be hold, there's a copy of "Dylan", that record Columbia released without his permission. I grab it, take it to the till and he said "I was really hoping someone would have grabbed it before you so I could be proven right", ahahaha poor record store guy, the universe is working in my favour, at least when it comes to Dylan records.
"Oh yeah, some guy came in with a box of Dylan records... I don't really have an explanation for it but if you want to take a look, go ahead". Whoever this guy was, he was clearly VERY into Dylan. He had a ton of records I already had, Desire, Blood on the Tracks, The Free Wheelin', etc. He had some great stuff I didn't have, highlighted by The Times Are A-Changin (a pretty good shaped copy which I believe is the original Canadian stereo pressing) and Self Portrait. Also, I managed to grab some of those 80s Christian Bob Dylan records, that I'll probably never listen to, but at least they're there.
Also snagged this classic Neil Young record, which sounded great:

tl;dr: the universe clearly wants me to have Bob Dylan records.

Flynn

Tribulation - The Children of the Night
That's three sides with an etch, but I was listening to the first platter.

The Lucifer Rising Suite - Bobby Beausoleil

Other recents not pictured:
Castle - Under Seige
King Diamond - Fatal Portrait (Reissue, Orange)
Obituary - Cause of Death (Reissue)

Nice Flynn, you got the red after all. What a great album that is.

Here's some pictures of my recent gets (I got Bell Witch a bit ago, but I wanted to post a proper picture):

Finally, this one is really special to me: an imported copy of OYA's Alpha Beta vs. Lambda. OYA has been one of my favorite band for years and I'm pretty emotional about finding this. They don't have their whole discography on vinyl sadly, but this is one of my favorite albums of theirs so I'm over the moon about it.

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm currently looking for new storage for my vinyls (I've been using a crate and it's about full now) and I was wondering if there was a TV/entertainment center of sorts that also had storage for vinyls?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I found that new Neil Young box set for under $100, so I went ahead and got it. Insane quality. Neil knows how to do reissues, and these four albums were the post-Harvest set that were dying to be reissued.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I'm currently looking for new storage for my vinyls (I've been using a crate and it's about full now) and I was wondering if there was a TV/entertainment center of sorts that also had storage for vinyls?

Vinyl is plural. Grab yourself a KALLAX shelf (formerly EXPEDIT) from IKEA.

big ander

I need to get one of those. I love my crates but "top-loading" makes looking for records kind of a chore.

I like browsing top down store style a lot better than straight-on like with my expedit, but the only really good ways to have that that I've seen are to build your own well shelves and I'm not about to do any physical labor

wenis

Looks like this month's Vinyl Me Please album is a really nice reissue of Hot Chip - In Our Heads. Yaasssss

yep. we're discussing it over there currently.

was never a huge fan of Hot Chip, but I'll give them another shot and that artwork coming with the LP is pretty rad.

omgkitty

I've always thought I liked Hot Chip, but it seems I like things about them, but can't really love them unconditionally. I can never fully get into any of their albums.

wenis

They are a perfect mixtape band. I don't necessarily ever find myself wanting to go through an album of theirs, but if I'm jamming at a party or have itunes on shuffle and one of their catchier tracks hits I'm usually pretty ok with it.

amnesiac

I found that new Neil Young box set for under $100, so I went ahead and got it. Insane quality. Neil knows how to do reissues, and these four albums were the post-Harvest set that were dying to be reissued.

I've been considering this since I can never find clean copies of Tonight's the Night and On the Beach, but it's so expensive for just 4 albums.

omgkitty

They are a perfect mixtape band. I don't necessarily ever find myself wanting to go through an album of theirs, but if I'm jamming at a party or have itunes on shuffle and one of their catchier tracks hits I'm usually pretty ok with it.

Yeah that's a good point. I really like "Huarache Lights" but have no reason to go and buy the album even if I love the cover.

yep. we're discussing it over there currently.

was never a huge fan of Hot Chip, but I'll give them another shot and that artwork coming with the LP is pretty rad.

This is really the only Hot Chip album I've ever gotten into. It's a really good LP; that being said the rest of their output is definitely more of the singles-to-put-in-party-playlists variety.

Yeah, the attention to detail was fantastic, though I had wished they were gatefold like my other NY reissues, but it looks like they were trying to be faithful to the original pressings, right down to the blowers on the inside of On The Beach. I had always put off listening to Time Fades Away till I got it on vinyl, so glad I waited, that's the best way to hear those songs.

omgkitty

oh that's kinda a bummer but i'm more interested in owning it I guess. thanks for the heads up though! it wasn't too costly.

Yeah supposedly Tiger Lab Vinyl is going to be doing an official release. I wouldn't worry about it. I'd love one of those Akira bootlegs that went around last year.

omgkitty

Tiger Lab Vinyl @TigerLabVinyl · May 7
Bought to Break. #GhostintheShell BOOTLEG LP. Kenji Kawai doesn't approve! Don't support unlicensed music. #anime

CEZyRJpVEAA9MS3.jpg:large

and then on their Instagram:

countmechaa
Would love to see Kenji Kawai's music come to vinyl officially. Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor are some of the best.

Tigerlabvinyl
@countmechaa official Kenji Kawai LPs are coming.... @bitchopotamus true, but it was worth it :)

I remember there being another tweet but I can't find it now.

lmao at that insta, that's a bit much. Extra funny that they "bought to break" something to make a statement that still gave the bootleggers money.

Still, cool, I'd grab an official one in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom