• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Ghibli's best film is Spirited Away, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

Hmm I'd say Princess Mononoke might edge it out for me. But just barely.

1. Princess Mononoke
2. Spirited Away
3. Howl's Moving Castle
4. Nausicaa
5. My Neighbor Totoro
6. Everything else

rexor0717

I love Spirited Away, but Howl's Moving Castle has to be my favorite. It probably mostly comes down to the music, but I adore that movie's main theme. Its just so bright and hopeful that it really elevates the whole movie for me.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
No, it is Porco Rosso, followed by Princess Mononoke, followed by Nausicaa.

Kodaman

Mononoke is my favourite.
Whispers of the Heart is way too low.
I love Nausicaa. It drags a little but at the end it feels so rewarding.

Takahata and Miyazaki are both godlike filmmakers, no need for senseless comparisons.

Anyway there just so much to choose from.

ionitron

I think for a a lot of people (Americans) it was their first Ghibli film. I think it and Howl (which I thought was a fucking mess of a movie) are Ghibli's most overrated films.

Yeah I never understood the love for Howl, I didn't think it was well put together.

I haven't seen all of Ghibli's films, or even all of Miyazaki's, but Tale of Princess Kaguya was absolutely phenomenal. Spirited Away might be my favorite though, yes.

blakep267

Yeah I never understood the love for Howl, I didn't think it was well put together.

I haven't seen all of Ghibli's films, or even all of Miyazaki's, but Tale of Princess Kaguya was absolutely phenomenal. Spirited Away might be my favorite though, yes.
While Howl was a mess, it was still charming and had just enough whimsy.

Also it wasn't a bad movie. Earth sea was bad. Howl just requires you to turn your brain off at times

It had a good cast, good music, interesting premise

Superflat

Mononoke and Spirited Away are certainly among the top 2 that switch for me every now and then. Spirited Away for its tremendous creativity and almost abstract vision, and Mononoke for its razor focus and greatly satisfying storytelling and world building.

Easily tracking close behind them is Ponyo, which I guess is a unpopular opinion but its flat visual style and simplicity of its story and characters altogether was like a vibrant children's book come to life more than any film I've seen.

depths20XX

The fact that most people can't agree on the top films from this studio shows how amazing it is.

For me the top ones are definitely:
Spirited Away
Mononoke
Castle in the Sky
Totoro

ionitron

While Howl was a mess, it was still charming and had just enough whimsy.

Also it wasn't a bad movie. Earth sea was bad. Howl just requires you to turn your brain off at times

It had a good cast, good music, interesting premise

Yeah I've been meaning to re-watch the movie and give it another chance since so many people like it. It's been several years since I've seen it and I was only just starting to develop my taste in movies then so I probably just wasn't going about it the right way, I just remember not being super impressed by it when I finished.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I like Howl's Moving Castle the best.

No I haven't read the book it's based on and it probably butchered.

Not at all! Go read the book! The best part of the book and movie is they basically go in two completely different directions half way through. Its basically a completely different story with the same charecters (minus Heen :( )

Well worth a read. The sequels arent bad either, they are just... different. Regardless read the book, its super easy and light reading, but fun. Also even though they are vastly different stories, you'll understand what Sophie is a lot better.

Violet_0

Banned
I didn't watch most of Ghibli's works but Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are hands down some of the best animated movies

has anyone here watched When Marnie Was There yet?

I think picking a favorite depends on whether you are more of a drama, action, or comedy person. But choosing their overall best is often easier but still a tie between Spirited Away and Mononoke. My favorite is Castle in the Sky, however.

Flai

Castle in the Sky > I dont care about these

Okay I do care about other Ghibli films too :) but Castle in the Sky is the best one!

Ezalc

I like Nausicaa, Porco Rosso, Mononoke, Fireflies and Wind Rises the best. How Ponyo isn't last on your list is a mystery to me. Never have I hated a film's protagonist more than that little abomination.

Jex

No, I don't think so. I personally find it really hard to rank the Studio Ghibli collection, but there are many other titles I'd rank higher e.g.

The Castle of Cagliostro (Not Ghibli, Tokyo Movie Shinsha), Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Kaguya, Nausicaa (again not Ghibli, Studio Topcraft), Castle in the Sky etc etc.

DOWN

Banned
Absolutely OP. It's one of the grandest animated films in existence and is an undeniably visionary experience.

I can't. Really, it's impossible.

I consider the following movies true, true masterpieces of cinema and some of my favorite movies:

Spirited Away
Kaguya
Only Yesterday
Totoro
Grave of the Fireflies

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO CHOOSE.

Dinda

It's Mononoke.

It used to be Nausicaä until i actually read the Manga. It's still a great movie but the manga is just on a different level. Seriously guys if you haven't read it do it now.
It's the best thing that Miyazaki has done, and it's not even close.

void666

Banned
Watched monoke years ago and can't remember anything about it. Not even if i enjoyed it. I should watch it again.

I watched only a few of their movies. So my list is:

1 - Spirited Away
2 - Howl's Moving Castle
3 - Totoro
4 - Porco Rosso

I still have so many to watch and they're already so hard to rank.

Top tier:

Castle in the Sky
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
The Wind Rises

Less top tier:

My Neighbor Totoro

Less less top tier:

Kiki's Delivery Service

They're all sooo good though

They're all masterpieces. I have a hard time deciding between them, but a couple of weeks ago someone made a thread asking for Ghibli recommendations that got me thinking of how Iw oddly rate them and I sort of came up with this:

Kiki > Mononoke = Nuasicaa = Porco Rosso = Spirited Away = Grave of the Fireflies > Howl = Totoro = Pom Poko = Whisper of the Heart = Only Yesterday = Wind Rises = Earthsea > Arriety > Ponyo

Still haven't seen Kaguya though, and from what I hear it's amazing.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Ghibli's never made a bad movie, but Spirited Away doesn't even make my top 5. It's gorgeous but I think its reputation mainly comes from it being a lot of Western viewers' and critics' first exposure to Ghibli's work.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ghibli's never made a bad movie, but Spirited Away doesn't even make my top 5. It's gorgeous but I think its reputation mainly comes from it being a lot of Western viewers' and critics' first exposure to Ghibli's work.

Sounds like you havnt seen Tales from Earth Sea.....

Coreda

Not my favorite, but a good film. First I saw in cinemas (watched it like 3 times in both languages :). Mononoke and Totoro are more among their top classics.

After buying the Miyazaki OST box set surprisingly my favorite OST became Nausicaa. Really different flavor from the recognizable style of Hisaishi's other scores.

n0razi

Spirited Away is a bit overhyped IMHO.. i still think its a top 3 Ghibli film but lots of people think it is far and away better than the rest

KiKi's is way underrated, it is top 5 for sure

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I'm always dissapointed to see how few have seen or appreciate Yamadas. I can see how the visual style might be off putting but it really has every great subtle trait of their other great movies.

Kater

Banned
The Cat Returns was great, but nor sure if I would ever really recommend it. I guess if you like anthro characters a lot like me?

For me the best one is clearly Mononoke from the one's I've seen.

Which reminds me, I loved those little Tree Spirits in the film.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom