• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Ghibli's best film is Spirited Away, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spirited Away is my favorite Ghibli film ever! The animation is beautiful, plus, how can you hate No Face? And the food... oh god, the food in that film!

no-face-food-spirited-away.jpg

I can't rank them. It would be an injustice to say Spirited Away is better than Princess Mononoke or vice versa. It would be even worse to ignore the underrated masterpieces like Porco Rosso and Kiki's Delivery Service. Sometimes I love the adventurous mood of Castle in the Sky or something magical like Howl's Moving Castle. Other times I want something more calming like My Neighbor Totoro. They all have their own qualities that make comparing them difficult and they all excel in their own styles.

It is so fucking hard to rank these movies you guys. I've mulled over which are my favourites in the past but it's really hard.

A tier list is easier !

God tier:

Castle in the Sky, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, Ponyo, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Wind Rises, My Neighbour Totoro, The Castle of Cagliostro

High tier:

Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Kaguya, Arietty

Low tier:

Tales from Earthsea

Tier list disclaimer:

-No particular order within tiers
-Personal opinion of course (most of the movies in my high tier would be considered god tier)
-Movies omitted I have not seen
-Yes I know the Nausicaa manga is god tier, I just haven't watched the movie

Toad.T

Banned
My Neighbors The Yamadas, is severely underrated, IMO. It's the exact opposite of what you'd expect from a Ghibli film, and that's what makes it work. It shows that Ghibli can make anything magic, even in a genre they have no experience with, using something as unlikely as a newspaper comic strip.

Concept17

I haven't seen a handful still, but Spirited Away is certainly #1 from what I have seen.

It's all great though. Just the whole body of work. There is never a moment I can't appreciate from an artist's point of view.

Laputa_94

But the GOAT thing Miyazaki has done is the Nausicaa manga. One of the best comics/graphics novels ever. His magnum opus for sure.

nausicaa-despondent.jpg

Completely agree I wish we could see the rest of the manga animated.

On topic I think Spirited Away is one of their best films, but personally I put films like Whisper of the Heart, Mononoke, and Porco Rosso above it. At the end of the day though almost every film they have ever done is a classic.

SiRatul

Nothing tops Mononoke for me. It was the first Miyazaki movie I watched. I was a kid back then and nothing I can remember left me as impressed as that movie. Spirited away is a close second for me though.

I went on a Ghibli binge over the last year wrapping up all the films I'd yet to see (well except Tales from Earthsea, oh and upcoming DVD/Blu Ray releases like Kaguya).

I go back and forth as to what my absolute favourite is but I'm leaning towards My Neighbour Totoro.
I feared that Spirited Away wouldn't meet the hype but fortunately it did, while I'm not sure if its a top tier favourite of mine it's certainly fun to watch.

Kiki's Delivery Service gets the soundtrack award, its recurring theme burrowed right into my head watching it a few months back and it's stayed there.

On the whole most are enjoyable, the only one that had me just lose interest entirely was Pom Poko.

AngryMoth

All the ones I've seen are amazing, but my favourites and Howl's and Whisper of the Heart. I'm weirdly down on Mononoke compared to most it seems.

Grave of the Fireflies actually might technically be the best, but fuck me I don't ever wanna watch that film again!

Jex

Ghibli's never made a bad movie, but Spirited Away doesn't even make my top 5. It's gorgeous but I think its reputation mainly comes from it being a lot of Western viewers' and critics' first exposure to Ghibli's work.

Right, it's a direct result of it's Oscar buzz and subsequent Western exposure.

xandaca

Grave Of The Fireflies is heartbreaking and an utterly extraordinary achievement in animated storytelling. Spirited Away is also wonderful, but I think Fireflies edges it for power and importance. Enjoyed but wasn't especially ecstatic about Howl's Moving Castle and Mononoke was too long ago for me to remember it with especial clarity.

bender

What time is it?
I've tried to watch it few times over the years and have never been able to finish it. I just got the Blu Ray so I'll give it another whirl but I don't think anything can topple Mononoke or Grave. I'm not sure I dislike Spirited but it's yet to grab me. I sat through Borrower of Arrietty and I'm not a fan of that movie at all.

edit: I haven't braved watching Earth Sea yet either.

Spirited Away would be in my top 3, but I'd say my favorite is My Neighbor Totoro.

But really, every Ghibli film besides Tales of Earthsea is worth watching. My favorite film studio of all time.

TrounceX

I liked the idea of a tier list. #1 is Princess Mononoke without a shadow of doubt in my mind. The others could be anywhere in the tier depending on the day.

God tier:

Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Whisper of the Heart (seriously underrated), Nausicaa

High tier:

Howl's Moving Castle, From Up on Poppy Hill, The Wind Rises, Kiki's Delivery Service, Totoro, Laputa, Porco Rosso, Lupin III

Mid tier:

Only Yesterday (almost high tier because of dat ending), Kaguya, When Marnie Was There, Ponyo, Arietty

Low tier:

Grave Of The Fireflies, The Cat Returns

Legit bad tier

Tales From Earthsea

it's probably not even in my top 10.

let me try to make a top 15! woo list thread.

1) nausicaa
2) kiki
3) only yesterday
4) whisper of the heart
5) laputa
6) totoro
7) arrietty
8) kaguya
9) wind rises
10) marnie
11) poppy hill
12) mononoke
13) grave of the fireflies
14) spirited away
15) porco rosso

so yeah. (all these movies are great of course)

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I haven't watched a Ghibli film since 3rd grade, is there any specific order I should watch them in?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Spirited Away is amazing but my favourite will always be My Neighbour Totoro, I love that film so damn much.

And whilst by no means their best film, the scene with the cat jester in The Cat Returns makes me laugh so much every time. It's a very quick joke/scene but it just makes me laugh like a drain.

Nausicaa is the best for me, but most of Miyazaki's films can reasonably be called the best.

For me (stealing the setup from riskybusinesstomcruise):

God tier:

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
2. Spirited Away
3. Princess Mononoke

High tier:

4. Porco Rosso
5. Grave of the Fireflies
6. My Neighbor Totoro
7. Castle in the Sky
8. Kiki's Delivery Service

High-mid tier:

9. The Secret World of Arrietty

Mid tier:

10. Ponyo

Low-mid tier:

11. Howl's Moving Castle

Arondight

I think the top Ghibli films are pretty much top stuff. Nausicaa, Laputa, Spirited Away, Grave of the fireflies,Mononoke,Totoro are incredible.

Laputa: Castle in the sky is my favourite out of all of them though. It's got the greatest sense of adventure, The protagonists are incredibly likable almost immediately, the beginning scene is unforgettable of the girl falling down from the sky after a huge gun shootout, the music track is probably my favourite too.

tumblr_nq76y11ZRr1rx0b5fo5_250.gif

One of my favourite ghibli scenes. Starting from when she says the incantation to the robot activating to the desperate rescue and succeeding.

The reason why Nausicaa isn't my favourite (used to be) was because the manga was so good it kind of made me rethink my stance on the film.

The weakest films have probably got to be Tales from Earthsea, Howl's Moving Castle or From Up on Poppy Hill.

Curious but does anyone else feel that there's also something about the artstyle in not just this film but Nausicaa, Totoro (basically the older works) that I love that I felt didn't really feel as great in stuff like Ponyo, Spirited away, wind rises etc?. It kind of seems a bit harsher I guess? Which is weird when there's a lot of scenes in those films that are clearly got this beautiful painted look.

Fox Mulder

Just got this in the mail, never seen it.

Like seeing these lists as I've only just got into these movies and have five or six.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom