• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita] - 2

Jinrui2-1.jpg

I could explain what happened this week, but I won't because it was too amazing. Nearly everything that happens during the second half of this episode is screenshot bait but I want people to be surprised.

7Th

To think there were doubters last week when people pointed out that Jinrui is an amazing comedy.

Also, who the hell funded this show?

Considering that the staff credits for the next 4 episodes only read "undetermined", nobody.

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 2

Well that episode made me almost barf twice
did we need to see and hear the BETA's eating the people?! that was intense

But I guess I will stay for a third episode considering that were finally what the actual anime synopsis seems to describe
a better pilot if I recall and a better mecha, thank goodness for the time skip

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That's...not a good sign.

It was fun while it lasted!

If we combine the first three episodes of Sankarea, the first two of Jinrui, and probably a couple of other spectacular crash-and-burns yet to occur, we might have one good series between them by the end of the year!

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 2

Oh hey, censored graphic violence. That ruins even the exploitative shock value that might have redeemed this.
Now I get why they didn't really introduce anyone in the first ep since they were destined to be killed off by the second. :lol
And just when I think I'm about out, they
introduce a new mech and pull me right back in! Hinting that the protag levelled the fuck up after the closing time skip didn't hurt either.
Fuck.

I agree mostly, the same experience I had by the end of the episode.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan 6-12: (END)

JMwZAl.jpg

Where's Rient Arl Croud when you need him?

If you are at all behind on this show and for some reason still intend to catch up, STOP. Put down your bread, step away from the computer, get some fresh air, do something, anything to reaffirm the value of your own life. I repeat:

DO

NOT

WATCH

THIS.

Warnings sometimes imply a threat of real danger if they're disobeyed, as mindblowing as that may sound. I may not know you, dear reader, but I care about you as a fellow human. I want you to be a happy, productive member of society with people who love you and purpose that fulfills you. None of this will ever be possible for you if you disobey this one warning. Please, please don't gamble with your precious life.

So, about Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan. I have never, ever seen an anime so unable to decide whether it wants to be episodic or contiguous and with such incredibly, monumentally terrible results. The flow of events is always really uncomfortable, with each episode introducing a new plot point that could serve as a valid springboard for a contiguous story only to be completely forgotten about in the next episode. That episode will continue the cycle of introducing something immediately forgotten about in the next, and so on.

The eventual result of this is that the series spends ten or so episodes going in ten completely different directions, only for a mishmash of plot elements from these episodes to suddenly be dredged back up and hastily crazy-glued together into one of the shittiest EPIC FINAL CONFRONTATIONS in any anime. The events of the final two episodes are so wildly different from anything that precedes them that it would be hard to believe that it was the same show if not for the continual barrage of bread references and dead-eyed soul-molesting Taka Tony faces to remind you that, on the contrary, this couldn't be any anime other than Shining Hearts.

zuIvyl.jpg

WHAT DOES THIS EVEN MEEEEEEEEEEEAN

For those of you with any existing knowledge of plot events, here's how everything came together: that girl that washed up on shore?
FROM ANOTHER DIMENSION.
That Vocaloid-looking thing that Hank is keeping prisoner?
CYBERNETIC BODYGUARD OF THE GIRL WHO WASHED UP ON SHORE.
Giant metal pirate ships?
LIZARD MEN FROM ANOTHER DIMENSION I SHIT YOU NOOOOOOOOT
Rick's amnesia?
LOL IDK BUT HE TRANSFORMS INTO A MOTHAFUCKIN ANGEL WITH THE HELP OF A MAGIC SWORD
. After a span of episodes whose subject matter ranges from one woman's sentimental attachment to garlic toast to rehabilitating a sick girl by taking her on a bikini picnic, it's two full episodes of lasers and swords and sword-lasers and exploding ships and
LIZARD MEN
and interminable strings of the most empty epilogue-filler "what was the meaning of all this and what is my purpose and hey isn't this bread delicious" dialogue imaginable.

Even worse is that several plot elements from previous episodes that should logically make a comeback at the end don't. Remember when we thought that this show was going to be about Rick making peace with the forest elves through the power of bread? Xecty and her grumpy brother never appear again. Remember Melty the witch? MIA. Captain Garlic Toast and his exoskeleton abs? He's there, but he gets destroyed in two seconds after being built up as the biggest badass on the island. Nakai Kazuya jobs for NO ONE, dammit. Basically, instead of the bread actually meaning a single fucking thing at the end when the majority of the show was about Rick bringing the island together, Rick gets a JRPG hax powerup just because and proceeds to blow shit up. When a show can't even incorporate its own extremely ostensible theme into the resolution somehow it's just AAAAAHDGJDHGJFHGDJGHHGFGH.

Also, because the 4+ Taka girl zombie abominations apparently weren't enough for the first half of the series, this thing gets a largely-expanded role in the second half:

Xiaomei has her hand in pretty much everything, most of these surrounding the fact that she's really really pissed about the government seizing what she dredged up from the ocean floor. Her actions end up sort of catalyzing the finale, but she's blatantly there largely for viewers to ogle at her increasingly-revealing nopan cheongsam getups and hnnnnnng to all of the nyaaaaaa noises she makes. Because what Shining Hearts needed more than anything was more fap material for the kind of person who finds waifu-bots Airy, Neris, and Amil legitimately attractive instead of nightmarishly creepy.

This show was doomed from the start for any number of reasons, but somewhere deep down I still hoped a little that it could at least be an inoffensive-if-ugly fantasy-themed slice of life. Not enough shows with an emphasis of the everyday lives of their characters experiment with putting these characters in a non-real world setting, and there was always the chance that Sega had simply said "do whatever you want, just make a show with these characters in this setting and be sure to reference x, y, and z along the way" and that some unknown talent at the studio could run with this in an unexpected way. Why the hell Sega saw opportunity in pumping money into an expensive commercial for an already-released niche PSP game I'll never understand, but in retrospect at least the series can now serve as a monument to Sega's colossal incompetence.

I suppose we'll always have those first couple of glorious episodes with the amazing Rick's Bread euphemism method of watching, but other than that:

Dresden

Is the "Gen Urobuchi Original Anime" confirmed to be its own thing or just there because he said he was working on something without attaching himself to a project?

I think it's the latter, no? And Kyosogiga still looks doubtful too.

Ultimadrago

If you are at all behind on this show and for some reason still intend to catch up, STOP. Put down your bread, step away from the computer, get some fresh air, do something, anything to reaffirm the value of your own life. I repeat:

DO

NOT

WATCH

THIS.

I know what I'm watching next!

I'm not watching this.

Jex

DO

NOT

WATCH

THIS.
In all honestly I was confused by all the people who watched the first episode of this show and then actually bothered to put themselves through episode two even though they knew what it would be like.

DO

NOT

WATCH

THIS.

It's too late for those that already suffered through this.

I'll add one caveat.

If you must watch it, it's much more enjoyable spreading it out instead of cramming it all together. Only because you aren't suffering through terribleness all in one go.

survivor

Banned

DO

NOT

WATCH

THIS.
meh your reverse psychology won't work on me

The only bad shows I'm willing to watch are smutty fanservice heavy ones and it doesn't look like Shining Heart is one of those shows

/XX/

Okay, so what it is with modern anime and mystery genres? Why does every single one in recent memory have a eye-motif with the female lead (I don't care if the female lead disguises as a young boy, it's still a female lead)?
Maybe Dalian from Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian isn't all that memorable, but there is that.

the staff whore thing here is sometimes just ridiculous
I don't really think so, but the early jump to conclusions sometimes associated to it is. A little bit.

Articalys

Rinne no Lagrange S2 1

So yeah, I'd already seen the preair, but at least now it's nice to know what's going on. And it's not a whole lot, not yet, at least. It is kinda neat that they're vaguely discussing more of the effects of Kamogawa having first contact with another planet, though. Anyway, on the main plot side,
Dizelmine and Moid are still being sketchy as hell, if willing to fracture your own sister's psyche is any indication. Probably feeding her lies about what Muginami's after, too.

Also, Gumi dear, sorry, I know you tried, and the new OP is nice, but Try Unite >>>>>>> Marble. And don't get me started on the ending song.

edit: I do like the new eyecatch style though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom