• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many shows with too many girls.
There's no such thing.
You seem surprised.

Just sayin. :p
image.php

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hyouka 11.5

Using a clever system of projectors, mirrors and silly string I managed to make the image for this vaguely watchable. Then I took this footage, squashed it between two slices of bread and then viewed it on a GameBoy Camera.

omo7r.gif

Vast improvement if I do say so myself.

Hyouka 11.5

Using a clever system of projectors, mirrors and silly string I managed to make the image for this vaguely watchable. Then I took this footage, squashed it between two slices of bread and then viewed it on a GameBoy Camera.

omo7r.gif

How all anime should be viewed.

Ultimadrago

Hyouka 11.5

omo7r.gif

Why you always stylin' like dat, doh?

Translation:
This was a vast improvement over taking a screenshot of it.

Firemind

Hyouka 11.5

omo7r.gif

Bravo, good sir.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hyouka 11.5

omo7r.gif

Very nice.

Jex

Hyouka 11.5

omo7r.gif

You win this round, BGBW.

Hyouka 11.5

omo7r.gif

Snap a use for the GameBoy Camera!

Joule

[Gunslinger Girl – 9]
In essence, this is what makes GG a far better show than it appears. There are girls, and they have guns, but the show isn’t really about watching these girls shoot things, it’s about characters and their relationships in an extremely messed up and disturbing situation.

Indeed that is the best way to put it. While I do find that there is some intrigue involved with jobs they take on, the meat of things is the interactions of the characters and their individual stories. The Esla/Lauro situation is an excellent exposition on how messed up the relationship between handlers and their little sisters can be taken to that particular extreme. The other thing I really like about the series is the astute difference between each handler and how it shows off a very different environment for these girls despite being in the same messed up place. Claes' story in particular I was quite fond of in that regard.

Good write up Jex. I enjoyed reading it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 02:

It's not often that anime makes me experience intense existential horror.

This was brilliance. I am moved deeply. Please, God, don't let the purported staff downgrade kill this show. It would be ten times the tragedy of Sankarea. Years come and go without entire anime that stimulate me as much as these two episodes have. I can't even tell if I'm being hyperbolic about this or not.

Jex

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 1:

Well, okay. That was definitely something. Repeating most of the first half of the episode in the second half was either quite clever, since you actually see our eponymous amnesiac dusk maiden in the repeated parts, or just a method of saving money on animation. I wouldn't call the animation good or anything, but it doesn't look like it had much of a budget behind it. I'm not sure why it feels like the character designs are off, and I don't know if that is intentional or not. Faces seem a bit grotesque.

It seems sufficiently interesting at least. And it's pretty funny.
But you're not supposed to like the first episode.

Heck, you're not supposed to watch the first episode!

Dresden

Hyouka - 12

Amazing episode. After just watching episodes 7 and 12 I've been left with an extremely favorable impression of the series, one that doesn't overstay its welcome, gets bogged down in mundanities, or is boring. It's one of the best school festival episodes I've ever seen.

Episode is full of simple but effective touches like this one, where the contrast between the members of the club are shown via interactions and/or emplacement of background; Oreki hears no evil, sees no evil...
1k0ywl.jpg

I think everyone knows by now that Hyouka is the best looking anime of this year, but it's still impressive just how good it is, visually. I think everyone is going to talk about the break-dancing scene but the whole episode was just full of great animation and art. It's always been the core strength of the show, but this time it's complemented by snappy, amusing writing that's not saddled with the punishment of yet another boring mystery. (Although Oreki overhearing the students talking about their missing orange juice is probably an indication of where it'll go.)

...meanwhile Chitanda's extremely amusing journey continues. And as usual the depth and detail of each scene is lovely.
QOTCDl.jpg

The episode is full of great designs, and it's the first time in the five or so episodes I've watched of the show that I laughed, more than a few times. Every time it transitioned back to Chitanda trying to move on after yet another distraction, or anytime Satoshi did something, lolololol.

I think I'm back on board, for now, as long as this festival arc lasts, anyways. What a great episode.

Also, the ED is amazing.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hyouka - 12

I think everyone knows by now that Hyouka is the best looking anime of this year, but it's still impressive just how good it is, visually. I think everyone is going to talk about the break-dancing scene but the whole episode was just full of great animation and art. It's always been the core strength of the show, but this time it's complemented by snappy, amusing writing that's not saddled with the punishment of yet another boring mystery. (Although Oreki overhearing the students talking about their missing orange juice is probably an indication of where it'll go.)

I did not know that. I was under the impression that F/Z looked much better than Hyouka.

Soma

I watched it and liked it. Though I wouldn't recommend other people to do the same.

Same.

I enjoyed it but I totally understand why people would hate it.

Luckily the rest of the show is pretty great for the most part.

I did not know that. I was under the impression that F/Z looked much better than Hyouka.

Nah, not even close imo. Both are great looking shows but Hyouka's attention to detail is on another level.

Ultimadrago

Haibane Renmei 1

Not a bad start, as it has me curious about the development of
Rakka in her new environment of Haibane.
As for the camera work, plenty of steady pans for the environment and hyper for a rather fitting scene. I wonder if more interesting shots and camerawork will be executed later on, for
"dream sequences"
especially (if it is revisited).

On characters, Rei seems to be a kind being. Of course, I am expecting future episodes to focus not only on her growing relationship with the main, but also with the other Haibane that were present for
her hatching.

All in all, it seems alright thus far.

* I know that what I "spoilered" isn't really big spoilers. I'm just playing it safe for this episode.

7Th

F/Z is a decent-looking show, but Hyouka is on a completely different level. Ufotable can't even DREAM of being worthy of comparison to GodAni.

Jarmel

Banned
F/Z is a decent-looking show, but Hyouka is on a completely different level. Ufotable can't even DREAM of being worthy of comparison to GodAni.

I want to see KyoAni actually do a show with action sequences and see if they can pull anything off or whether it would be pedestrian.

Jex

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 02:

It's not often that anime makes me experience intense existential horror.

This was brilliance. I am moved deeply. Please, God, don't let the purported staff downgrade kill this show. It would be ten times the tragedy of Sankarea. Years come and go without entire anime that stimulate me as much as these two episodes have. I can't even tell if I'm being hyperbolic about this or not.

It's like someone accidentally decided to make one of those manga flawful's reads (okay, this covers a lot of manga, but you know the ones I mean. The weird ones) into an anime.

I can't wait to see Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!..

GodAni is clearly the studio with the most interesting titles.

Arcana Famiglia 02
NhzRO.gif

Oh my. How lewd.

Yeah, they are really getting all into that tarot card business. Way into that. Really into that.

That trollish cat. This episode was pretty dull, the forced introduction didn't help, the more explanations about everything made it more boring added onto the looking for the cat.

I'm not even sure what's going on next episode, since the preview was basically random words tossed together. At the very least, it does seem that this show isn't doing the one guy every episode like UtaPrince, but does mean this show has no idea what to do then.

Give us at least a training arc or something. This isn't a JRPG so there's no need for NPC quests!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's like someone accidentally decided to make one of those manga flawful's reads (okay, this covers a lot of manga, but you know the ones I mean. The weird ones) into an anime.

Time to get some manga recommendations from him, apparently!

Arcana Famiglia 02
http://i.imgur.com/NhzRO.gif[/IG]
I'm not even sure what's going on next episode, since the preview was basically random words tossed together. At the very least, it does seem that this show isn't doing the one guy every episode like UtaPrince, but does mean this show has no idea what to do then. [/QUOTE]

Considering how the manga does it...I do not think it would make for well much of any stories that would fill entire episodes.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Arcana Famiglia 02

Oh my. How lewd.

Yeah, they are really getting all into that tarot card business. Way into that. Really into that.

That trollish cat. This episode was pretty dull, the forced introduction didn't help, the more explanations about everything made it more boring added onto the looking for the cat.

I'm not even sure what's going on next episode, since the preview was basically random words tossed together. At the very least, it does seem that this show isn't doing the one guy every episode like UtaPrince, but does mean this show has no idea what to do then.

Give us at least a training arc or something. This isn't a JRPG so there's no need for NPC quests!

I told you the cat was the key. This show doesn't sound appealing in the slightest.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Arcana Famiglia 02

The really awkwardly-shoehorned in power explanations are one of the worst things about Arcana Famiglia. There'll be a conversation with a new character, and that new character will latch onto any tangent they can and say something to the effect of "I had a wonderful spaghetti dinner last night with Debito and he brought a molto molto fantastico vino, which I probably shouldn't have drunk because MY ARCANA IS THE TEMPERANCE." It's often laughably bad.

Jarmel

Banned
I still believe the art, color, design, and the diversive nature of F/Z outshines Hyouka.

I kinda disagree. Hyouka really has the color thing going for it but that's moreso due to the difference in types of shows the two are. Hyouka can really spread its wings because it's a much lighter type of show. Using a similar color palette for F/Z would be beyond wrong and just idiotic. I also think Hyouka edges out FZ on design just due to the raw detail in Hyouka.

It's a Promotional Video for a light novel.

Fuck, fuck, fuck. Was hoping that was a preview for a tv series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom