• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

The reason more are not made is because they don't sell too well.

nodamecantabile.jpg

Jex

[Hyouka] - 12

This dude is a definite creeper -

Creeper.jpg

I stopped watching this show somewhere around episode five because it was boring me to tears. Well, actually it was making me really drowsy, which makes it hard to watch anything. So, predictably, I dropped like a rock.

I am just getting this out of the way so you know where I am coming from when I say that this is the best episode of Hyouka and it's the only episode that I've enjoyed watching. It helps that KyoAni are showing off their mad skills throughout the episode, with background art approaching movie levels of detail, but great art and animation alone don't make a show interesting as this series has already shown. It's characters who you are interested in doing interesting things plus all the excellent visual stuff that they were already pulling off.

Everyone has already given examples of great shots/moments from this episode so I'll just pick up on something that no-one has mentioned yet. It's an extremely irrelevant an easy to miss element of the opening sequence. Oreki is sitting by his computer and we get a shot looking straight into his eyes where we can see his computer monitor being reflected back at us. They actually bothered to animate some flicker from the monitor, even though it's only onscreen for a second and you're probably going to ignore it anyway. That's dedication.

eyeflicker.jpg

So yeah, everyone should watch this episode, even people like me who found the entire series to be extremely tedious.

Also I take it firehawk12 or whoever didn't talk about his sequence because it's already been covered in the show or something:

TheyWere11.jpg

Or is that no-one around here has seen/read They Were Eleven? I find it extremely interesting that Ibara chooses to cosplay as Frol. I suppose it could have no wider meaning but as Frol is such a hugely loaded character in terms of what they represent you would assume the reference has some further meaning. However, it doesn't really seem to tie into anything else I've seen so far.

I've been watching some Gambling Legend Tetsuya recently, and it really cemented my hatred of useless sidekick characters that seemed to be all the rage during those days. The ones that trail the main character with a stalker-esque obsession, boast of acts that small fries back in episode 2 could've done with his eyes closed, and have the most incessantly grating voices. If they play a role in the plot, it's primarily as a cause of drama or tension, and anything else they do the main character could've easily done it sooner. Why did anybody seriously think that this was a good idea?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Arcana 2

This was about as boring as the average episode of Hyouka, and didn't even have Kyoani production to lessen the boringness. :(

Jex

To be fair, there's a difference between great animation and great animation with moeblobs. One requires greater detail in the art department, the other doesn't.

Erm, I don't know if I should handle this one or if pizzaroll has already started on a lengthy response.

Instro

Or is that no-one around here has seen/read They Were Eleven? I find it extremely interesting that Ibara chooses to cosplay as Frol. I suppose it could have no wider meaning but as Frol is such a hugely loaded character in terms of what they represent you would assume the reference has some further meaning.

It seemed like there was some foreshadowing going on there or some comparison being made to Ibara's situation, but having not read or seen They Were Eleven I didn't understand it sadly. It did get me to at least wiki the title though lol, I was thinking of giving it a look later. I assume its something that will be touched on more in this arc.

Jex

It seemed like there was some foreshadowing going on there or some comparison being made to Ibara's situation, but having not read or seen They Were Eleven I didn't understand it sadly. It did get me to at least wiki the title though lol, I was thinking of giving it a look later. I assume its something that will be touched on more in this arc.

Ha, the joke is on you then because the wiki for They Were Eleven is useless!

Risette

A Good Citizen
To be fair, there's a difference between great animation and great animation with moeblobs. One requires greater detail in the art department, the other doesn't.
Please refrain from talking about animation in the future, or inform yourself prior to future attempts.

Instro

Ha, the joke is on you then because the wiki for They Were Eleven is useless!

Indeed, if only someone who has exposure to it could edit the wiki page :). I did learn that the anime was directed by Dezaki's brother at least.

Hard to be bored when you're asleep.

What one finds entertaining is purely subjective of course, so I might be the only one! It's been interesting to see the different reactions to the show though with regards to people finding it boring or not. There's really little one could knock it for on the technical side so the AOTY voting for it should be pretty weird.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You- you take that back! You honestly think that if they made a josei show it would be boring by your standards?
Josei stuff is just as monotonous as any other manga genrographic, except the art trends are worse and the scenarios are dry as hell, leaving little room for entertainment value. There's little potential for anything, even from KyoAni.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
[Hyouka] - 12
I am just getting this out of the way so you know where I am coming from when I say that this is the best episode of Hyouka and it's the only episode that I've enjoyed watching.
11 was the best episode, if only because it was a "#gamechanger" in the most un-ironic sense.
Of course, everyone loves a culture festival!

Also I take it firehawk12 or whoever didn't talk about his sequence because it's already been covered in the show or something:

TheyWere11.jpg

Or is that no-one around here has seen/read They Were Eleven? I find it extremely interesting that Ibara chooses to cosplay as Frol. I suppose it could have no wider meaning but as Frol is such a hugely loaded character in terms of what they represent you would assume the reference has some further meaning. However, it doesn't really seem to tie into anything else I've seen so far.
I actually looked it up (well, googled) this and didn't think it was worth mentioning too much, but the obvious connection would be her
immediate split between Hyouka and the manga club. Or, perhaps her self-consciousness over being a manga fan.
If it has a more literally meaning, I think I would be surprised if only because this text has been light on those kinds of major revelations, but who knows.

The blog I read about Frol also reminded me that I should really read my copies of Ooku sometime. Given all the shitty medieval Japan shows that are being made, I would be happy if they turned that into an anime... but I can't imagine nerds wanting to show that is essentially the Japanese version of Y: The Last Man. :(

jman2050

I'm sorry for not liking things that aren't aimed at me. Doesn't mean I don't try. I've probably read more josei than you have.

Damn, cosmic hitting hard. I didn't think he had it in him.

Yuru Yuri S2 2

Not as good as the previous episode, but then the last episode was one of the best in the series. The snake portion was pretty awesome though, as was the last segment.

Also, new UNDULATION gif?

Jex

Indeed, if only someone who has exposure to it could edit the wiki page :). I did learn that the anime was directed by Dezaki's brother at least.
If it hadn't been over a year since I read the manga I would actually update it.

Dresden

The blog I read about Frol also reminded me that I should really read my copies of Ooku sometime. Given all the shitty medieval Japan shows that are being made, I would be happy if they turned that into an anime... but I can't imagine nerds wanting to show that is essentially the Japanese version of Y: The Last Man. :(

I thought about reading that when I googled Frol when it was mentioned in the episode, but I felt lazy

jman2050

Come on, I dislike boring Kyoani moeblobs as much as the next guy but this is just silly talk.

sleepykyo

But you're not supposed to like the first episode.

I enjoyed it. It wouldn't be a great episode for someone new to anime, but after they've been broken down by School Days and countless harem tripe, they'll be fine.

Josei stuff is just as monotonous as any other manga genrographic, except the art trends are worse and the scenarios are dry as hell, leaving little room for entertainment value. There's little potential for anything, even from KyoAni.

Nana and Honey & Clover have some pretty wet (what is the actual counterpoint to dry?) scenarios. All that sex, child prostitution and ntr.

Just completed all of Rozen Maiden. The ending from Träumend was somewhat expected
since none of the dolls managed to become Alice
. I guess I should read the manga to see how the anime adaption compares to the original.

Jex

I actually looked it up (well, googled) this and didn't think it was worth mentioning too much, but the obvious connection would be her
immediate split between Hyouka and the manga club. Or, perhaps her self-consciousness over being a manga fan.
If it has a more literally meaning, I think I would be surprised if only because this text has been light on those kinds of major revelations, but who knows.(

So what you're trying to tell me is that Hyouka is basically a hetronormative text?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yuru Yuri ♪♪ 2

Looks like I won't be making new avatars for everyone. Same old title card. Wario Akari alone is special.

Wait, of all things this popup bubble is one of the director's trademark?

Branduil

Haibane Renmei 1

Not a bad start, as it has me curious about the development of
Rakka in her new environment of Haibane.
As for the camera work, plenty of steady pans for the environment and hyper for a rather fitting scene. I wonder if more interesting shots and camerawork will be executed later on, for
"dream sequences"
especially (if it is revisited).

On characters, Rei seems to be a kind being. Of course, I am expecting future episodes to focus not only on her growing relationship with the main, but also with the other Haibane that were present for
her hatching.

All in all, it seems alright thus far.

* I know that what I "spoilered" isn't really big spoilers. I'm just playing it safe for this episode.

More people watching Haibane Renmei? This pleases me.

Ultimadrago

Yuru Yuri ♪♪ 2

Looks like I won't be making new avatars for everyone. Same old title card. Wario Akari alone is special.

Miyashita, Mitsuba and Futaba callback?

BGBDouble-ya...why are you doing this to me?

Branduil

F/Z is a decent-looking show, but Hyouka is on a completely different level. Ufotable can't even DREAM of being worthy of comparison to GodAni.

They can't, but it's not just them. Of course KyoAni didn't start off at this level, they've just kept improving over time. We'll see if Ufotable can do the same.

Narag

I'm surprised that Waver Velvet managed to survive Gen Urobuchi. Then again, Urobuchi really did favor the Rider team specifically, to the point where he had to dial back on his focus on them because the story was supposed to be about Kirei and Kiritsugu.

He's just really blessed.

I thought the Waver/Rider focus was just right.
It worked as a complement to the Kirei/Kiritsugu stuff which takes a bit of time to get going, worked nicely in demonstrating that the Master/Servant relationship could work as a loyal partnership as opposed to something duplicitious or the Servant simply being a tool, and did a wonderful job of creating a credible underdog to root for (even if one did know he wouldn't succeed) until Gil finally laid down the law. It also served to give the viewer another set of eyes as it were which was more appropriate for the grail stuff as everything should be happening at once which was far preferable to how the F/SN adaptations were in how they used Shirou as a sieve for everything.

Jarmel

Banned
I thought the Waver/Rider focus was just right.
It worked as a complement to the Kirei/Kiritsugu stuff which takes a bit of time to get going, worked nicely in demonstrating that the Master/Servant relationship could work as a loyal partnership as opposed to something duplicitious or the Servant simply being a tool, and did a wonderful job of creating a credible underdog to root for (even if one did know he wouldn't succeed) until Gil finally laid down the law. It also served to give the viewer another set of eyes as it were which was more appropriate for the grail stuff as everything should be happening at once which was far preferable to how the F/SN adaptations were in how they used Shirou as a sieve for everything.

You also needed at least someone likable in the crew. Having everyone being assholes is almost never a good thing.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Time to catch up on Hyouka, I guess. I'm never going to get to my backlog, am I? :(

It's good until ep8.

I think that might be where I left off. I came for the pretty backgrounds and Nakata Jouji villain and oheso sabisu~ and dropped it after falling behind by a couple of weeks and hearing about the shit end elsewhere. Something in me still wants to know if it's the horrible "fuck you" to the audience that everyone says it is.

Branduil

It's true that a lot of Josei manga have bad art, from what I've seen, but even Josei manga with bad art and some bad writing can be adapted masterfully by the right people, like with Usagi Drop.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I think that might be where I left off. I came for the pretty backgrounds and Nakata Jouji villain and oheso sabisu~ and dropped it after falling behind by a couple of weeks and hearing about the shit end elsewhere. Something in me still wants to know if it's the horrible "fuck you" to the audience that everyone says it is.

You're far better off reading the manga instead, since it's still good. ^^

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yuru Yuri ♪♪ 2

Whoa, I guess Yuru Yuri DOES look like Mitsudomoe. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom