• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

I want to see KyoAni actually do a show with action sequences and see if they can pull anything off or whether it would be pedestrian.

A couple have already been mentioned, but there is also The Second Raid. It's not as impressive visually as their more recent work, but it still has plenty of well animated sequences. You can dig up some of their recent commercials and teasers that really show off their action skills.

I can't wait to see Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!..

GodAni is clearly the studio with the most interesting titles.

What does that have to do with visual quality?

There were hand-to-hand combat sequences or sword fights in Nichi?

Yes, for comedic purposes of course.

7Th

I still believe the art, color, design, and the diversive nature of F/Z outshines Hyouka.

I don't think the mannequin-like, Nasu-inspired designs in F/Z are comparable to the soft and life-like designs of Hyouka. And the organic art direction and naturalistic coloring in Hyouka is definitely more timeless and appealing than any ultra-plastic, over-composited Ufotable fluff.

Grzi

Munto has incredible action scenes; shame about everything else.

I still have no idea what they wanted to accomplish with the TV series.
I like the idea behind everything, the world is interesting, but they really messed up the execution of it all.

Jarmel

Banned
A couple have already been mentioned, but there is also The Second Raid. It's not as impressive visually as their more recent work, but it still has plenty of well animated sequences. You can dig up some of their recent commercials and teasers that really show off their action skills.

Yes, for comedic purposes of course.

Second Raid didn't have any exceptional sequences last I remember except for the Arbalest booting up.

How was the choreography in Nichi then? That's what I'm more interested in as that is the most crucial thing to a fight sequence.

I don't think the mannequin-like, Nasu-inspired designs in F/Z are comparable to the soft and life-like designs of Hyouka. And the organic art direction and naturalistic coloring in Hyouka is definitely more timeless and appealing than any ultra-plastic, over-composited Ufotable fluff.

Completely disagree with this. The character designs are leagues better than anything in Hyouka, mostly because the Hyouka designs are pretty forgettable in their own right. Also you would be insane to use a lighter coloring for FZ. The organic line is also laughable because FZ isn't supposed to be organic at all, it's not a slice-of-life-like show like Hyouka, it's an orchestrated tragedy.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hyouka - 12

best shot

2RX7j.jpg
i found the inclusion of the trees through the window to be very impressive, for some reason :lol

7Th

I still have no idea what they wanted to accomplish with the TV series.
I like the idea behind everything, the world is interesting, but they really messed up the execution of it all.

Munto is literally the work of one man: Yoshiji Kigami. He wrote, storyboarded and directed every single episode all by himself. It is the ultimate vanity project.

The really awkwardly-shoehorned in power explanations are one of the worst things about Arcana Famiglia. There'll be a conversation with a new character, and that new character will latch onto any tangent they can and say something to the effect of "I had a wonderful spaghetti dinner last night with Debito and he brought a molto molto fantastico vino, which I probably shouldn't have drunk because MY ARCANA IS THE TEMPERANCE." It's often laughably bad.

Hopefully it is just because the show is in exposition fever and have to tell everyone everything.

But after that, what else can they do to fill in the time? More not pretty boys singing?

Jex

F/Z is a decent-looking show, but Hyouka is on a completely different level. Ufotable can't even DREAM of being worthy of comparison to GodAni.

If F/Z is simply 'decent-looking' than most anime television series must look like rubbish to you!

I mean, most of them do look like rubbish, but that's besides the point.

Jarmel

Banned
If F/Z is simply 'decent-looking' than most anime television series must look like rubbish to you!

Pretty much. While Hyouka is top, FZ is still an amazingly drawn series and one of the better ones in a long while. Anyone who says it's average or decent-looking must either be blind or heavily screens their shows.

7Th

Completely disagree with this. The character designs are leagues better than anything in Hyouka, mostly because the Hyouka designs are pretty forgettable in their own right. Also you would be insane to use a lighter coloring for FZ.

I find the quality of the drawing of the Hyouka character designs much better than the quality of the drawing of the F/Z character designs; they're a lot more expressive and human-like

F/Z:
https://yande.re/post/show/215636/fate-stay_night-fate-zero-saber-shimizu_keita
https://yande.re/post/show/213883/armor-emiya_kiritsugu-fate-stay_night-fate-zero-gi

Hyouka:
https://yande.re/post/show/217209/chitanda_eru-hyouka-ibara_mayaka-seifuku
https://yande.re/post/show/216151/chitanda_eru-fukube_satoshi-hyouka-ibara_mayaka-or

I have expressed my dislike for Ufotable's plastic-y art direction and most of F/Z's character designs. (I literally only like Rider's.)

I'd rather have something cheaper but more visually appealing (at least to me) like Tsuritama.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hopefully it is just because the show is in exposition fever and have to tell everyone everything.

But after that, what else can they do to fill in the time? More not pretty boys singing?

If they actually knew what they were doing with the exposition, they'd be showcasing powers and not just slapping an arcana on a character when it's impossible to determine anything about their powers or even the characters themselves from just that. I can't believe that this show is supposed to be one long battle tournament and they're doing nothing to hype the audience for it. I suppose the otome elements are winning out over the shounen elements.

Jarmel

Banned
I find the quality of the drawing of the Hyouka character designs much better than the quality of the drawing of the F/Z character designs; they're a lot more expressive and human-like

F/Z:
https://yande.re/post/show/215636/fate-stay_night-fate-zero-saber-shimizu_keita
https://yande.re/post/show/213883/armor-emiya_kiritsugu-fate-stay_night-fate-zero-gi

Hyouka:
https://yande.re/post/show/217209/chitanda_eru-hyouka-ibara_mayaka-seifuku
https://yande.re/post/show/216151/chitanda_eru-fukube_satoshi-hyouka-ibara_mayaka-or

I have expressed my dislike for Ufotable's plastic-y art direction and most of F/Z's character designs. (I literally only like Rider's.)

I'd rather have something cheaper but more visually appealing (at least to me) like Tsuritama.

Well at least I know you completely missed the point of the show. Emiya, Kirei, and Saber aren't supposed to be expressive in any way shape or form. Emiya was purposefully depicted as emotionless because that is what he is. He's not supposed to look inquisitive or joking around. Ufotable made a specific point of redrawing scenes with Kirei in them because they showed too much emotion. Saber is also supposed to be stoic. The characters' personalities and the story itself guaranteed you weren't going to see many scenes or any with characters smiling. Kirei's smile at the end of the series was beautiful as people were wondering if he was really smiling or not which is a perfect capture of his character as a whole. Emiya's breakdowns are that much more tragic because compared to his emotionless scenes, he finally shows emotions.

I don't see why you need to had-to-hand combat or sword fights to have an action sequence.

I should have clarified action sequences as that involving combat or something involving choreography and not just high levels of motions which can be just another sakuga. Hell there are 'action' sequences in Hyouka if we were just going by something exciting or lots of motion going on.

F/Z is a decent-looking show, but Hyouka is on a completely different level. Ufotable can't even DREAM of being worthy of comparison to GodAni.
Meh. Call me when they do a josei production.
Sword of the Stranger - Happy 5th Anniversary!

10/10
I really don't remember it being that good. Then again, it's been years since I watched it. I would probably appreciate it more now, probably rewatch it today.

If they actually knew what they were doing with the exposition, they'd be showcasing powers and not just slapping an arcana on a character when it's impossible to determine anything about their powers or even the characters themselves from just that. I can't believe that this show is supposed to be one long battle tournament and they're doing nothing to hype the audience for it. I suppose the otome elements are winning out over the shounen elements.

I'm still under the belief it's a training arc. A training arc drowned in otome game tropes.

Thud

I loved the FZ style, leaving FSN as a poor contender. Although Hyouka does have a great character design. I may end up watching it.

Dresden

Uh, Hyouka's designs are much better than fate's. Zero is what you get if you get competent people to somehow make the shitty Type Moon designs palatable.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Well at least I know you completely missed the point of the show. Emiya, Kirei, and Saber aren't supposed to be expressive in any way shape or form. Emiya was purposefully depicted as emotionless because that is what he is. He's not supposed to look inquisitive or joking around. Ufotable made a specific point of redrawing scenes with Kirei in them because they showed too much emotion. Saber is also supposed to be stoic. The characters' personalities and the story itself guaranteed you weren't going to see many scenes or any with characters smiling. Kirei's smile at the end of the series was beautiful as people were wondering if he was really smiling or nor which is a perfect capture of his character as a whole. Emiya's breakdowns are that much more tragic because compared to his emotionless scenes, he finally shows emotions.

I should have clarified action sequences as that involving combat or something involving choreography and not just high levels of motions which can be just another sakuga.
Not a single thing you say there has anything to do with 7th's complaints about F/Z's plasticy overly processed artstyle.

7Th

Well at least I know you completely missed the point of the show. Emiya, Kirei, and Saber aren't supposed to be expressive in any way shape or form.

You completely missed my point. I have nothing against stoic-looking characters. They just don't look like human beings. They look like... a bunch of triangles. Mostly because Takeuchi can't draw and Ufotable was afraid of pissing off fans by ditching his terrible art-style. Being stoic doesn't mean not looking like a human being; Tetsuya Nishio's designs for Jin Roh are life-like as hell.

Instro

Second Raid didn't have any exceptional sequences last I remember except for the Arbalest booting up.

How was the choreography in Nichi then? That's what I'm more interested in as that is the most crucial thing to a fight sequence.

I dunno, there's definitely some well put together action scenes in TSR. If you want examples of them doing action its there. With regards to choreography in Nichijou, there are no true traditional fight scenes outside of something like the principal wrestling the dear, or the airship fight and even those are pretty wacky. There are certainly lengthy well directed and animated action scenes like the hallway chase.

Here's another one of those Kyoani commercials btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y63DygviOE4&feature=player_embedded

Nobuna 01
6l6Xx.gif

Fear the power of downloadable content.

So, this was a really enjoyable first episode. I gotta say I am glad they actually managed to justify why some of the generals are female right at the start instead of making everyone girls for the sake of being girls.

I like the character designs. I can see how they are based off the real general. The male MC is pretty cool, I hope he keeps using his knowledge of the game more in the show. It would be a pretty cool twist.

While most other stuff is pretty average in music, action, and visuals, the story isn't bad, the way the episode went wasn't stupid. The characters look decent, there's no one that makes me want them to die in a bloody fire, there's an actual plot that's going on and I am amused that the male MC basically changed history in the first minutes of the show.

Jarmel

Banned
Not a single thing you say there has anything to do with 7th's complaints about F/Z's plasticy overly processed artstyle.

Well we were also talking about the character designs.

Please tell me you're not referring to the darker color filters in regards to the overly processed art style. That was obviously done because of the type of story it was. Kaijura mentioned at AX how she created music for a tragedy due to the nature of the show. The staff worked under the context of the show they were doing. The show wasn't supposed to be organic in any way, Gilgamesh's line about it being a play should have been the final re-enforcement of that.

You completely missed my point. I have nothing against stoic-looking characters. They just don't look like human beings. They look like... a bunch of triangles. Mostly because Takeuchi can't draw and Ufotable was afraid of pissing off fans by ditching his terrible art-style.

So you have a dislike of Takeuchi's art style. Ok. I can't argue against preference but I disagree I guess. They look fine in regards to general design and aren't supposed to look organic anyway. Ufotable did a perfect job for the most part depicting emotions throughout the show.

Dresden

episodes of Hyouka I like:

12, 7, tbd
One good episode does not redeem a boring series.
It's okay. You were already dead inside.
Is there any kind of indication at all that Aruvu Rezuru still exists? I only found out today that it had been demoted from series to OVA about a month ago, but there's been no news on it since. It's still listed on Zexcs's site, but if it hasn't been canceled completely it looks like it's definitely not going to be out any time this summer.
I think I talked about that with someone here. No big loss.

Is there any kind of indication at all that Aruvu Rezuru still exists? I only found out today that it had been demoted from series to OVA about a month ago, but there's been no news on it since. It's still listed on Zexcs's site, but if it hasn't been canceled completely it looks like it's definitely not going to be out any time this summer.

I want to see it but I was hoping it was a tv anime and not an ova. Seems to have done a Blood Lad (anime) in terms of information releases.

Instro

I'm never bored when watching Hyouka.

Episode 12 was pretty amazing btw, one of the best culture festival episodes I've ever seen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyouka 11.5 was more than just a fanservice episode. :(

Or if it was a fanservice episode, it was the most meaningful fanservice episode every produced. :p

Waver Velvet managed to escape his awful origins.

I'm surprised that Waver Velvet managed to survive Gen Urobuchi. Then again, Urobuchi really did favor the Rider team specifically, to the point where he had to dial back on his focus on them because the story was supposed to be about Kirei and Kiritsugu.

He's just really blessed.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
:(

I was looking forward to it too. Thought it would complement SAO with a different approach to a VR world.

Yeah, it sounded like it had potential. I have kind of a soft spot for "diving into the intarwebs" stories.

I want to see it but I was hoping it was a tv anime and not an ova. Seems to have done a Blood Lad (anime) in terms of information releases.

I don't even think that a Blood Lad anime was ever in any stage of production. Somehow it was erroneously placed on a summer anime chart and everyone took it as fact until it was discovered that there was zero evidence that it had ever been a project. At least there was actual evidence for Aruvu Rezuru, which makes this kind of a disappointment.

That's Merry ep7, though. Deep, profound bellybuttons.

I still plan to finish this series someday if I'm ever feeling enough self-loathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom