• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Just completed all of Rozen Maiden. The ending from Träumend was somewhat expected
since none of the dolls managed to become Alice
. I guess I should read the manga to see how the anime adaption compares to the original.

I'm pretty sure the manga ended abruptly due to a dispute between the authors and the publisher or something.

Jex

Indeed that is the best way to put it. While I do find that there is some intrigue involved with jobs they take on, the meat of things is the interactions of the characters and their individual stories. The Esla/Lauro situation is an excellent exposition on how messed up the relationship between handlers and their little sisters can be taken to that particular extreme. The other thing I really like about the series is the astute difference between each handler and how it shows off a very different environment for these girls despite being in the same messed up place. Claes' story in particular I was quite fond of in that regard.

Good write up Jex. I enjoyed reading it.

And I enjoyed writing it! Well, kind of. It took wayyyy longer to do then I planned.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
A man of the Happy faith should have greater resolve than this!

But when I have to rewatch my entire life in Reincarnation Court, that means that I have to see all of this shit a second time!

I swear, if I have to watch all of Bleach again and then still get sent to the pumpkin dimension, I'm bailing to hang out with Niches.

Considering of some of the stuff in your backlog, you might as well not bother going back to them.

Actually, the worst is over! It's not like I'm going to go back to catch up on Medaka Box or Sankarea.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Tari Tari 2

This episode was pretty fun too, although the scene when the teacher is all
"You aren't worthy to sing this"
was way too hamfisted and cliched.

The teacher is pretty mean, I guess she'll end up changing by the end of the show.

Ladies VS Butlers! 10
gKqGZ.png

Blushing ears are so moe~
This episode was about Daichi getting a love letter from a girl, but since she's not into girls, is conflicted in what she should do about it. This in turn makes all the other girls to think of love and how they should show their feelings. Eh, not much happens in this episode, but it looks like its mostly a set up for a confrontation between Tomomi and Flameheart, and it looks like some sort of sports festival of sorts going by the previews. Which I gotta say seems at odds with what this school is about...
c02RR.png

Lazy ass translators...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If they were to cancel YuriYuru they'd feel my burning anger through the web via a strongly worded forum post.

iWNagNt1BRQ00.gif

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm not sure if I'll ever try to watch Yuru Yuri again, I think the GIFs are entertaining enough.

Firemind

Please refrain from talking about animation in the future, or inform yourself prior to future attempts.

Animation with a lot of key frames is animation with a lot of key frames. Perhaps 'require' is the wrong verb here. All I'm saying is the more complex the object is, the more attention to detail is important to retain that complexity, like for example anatomy. Of course, animation doesn't have to follow the rules of convention, but there is a difference between animating a stick figure and a human being with a face and muscular structure.

Kazzy

you'll want to watch the next ep though, if you do.

I'm dipping my toes into all sorts (of shows) at the moment, so if I end up with one more thing to watch, then so be it.

Tari Tari 2

This episode was pretty fun too, although the scene when the teacher is all
"You aren't worthy to sing this"
was way too hamfisted and cliched.

The teacher is pretty mean, I guess she'll end up changing by the end of the show.

The teacher does seem extremely harsh, the epitome of a dream-crusher. I refuse to believe that its an example based in reality, as it would just make me sad.

My journalism tutors definitely acted like that, awful people.

One of these days I will watch the first season of YuriYuri.

You and me both. And there I was thinking I could go blindly jumping in at the second season. I wanted the carefree comedy to be more carefree, damn it!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'm dipping my toes into all sorts (of shows) at the moment, so if I end up with one more thing to watch, then so be it.

The teacher does seem extremely harsh, the epitome of a dream-crusher. I refuse to believe that its an example based in reality, as it would just make me sad.

My journalism tutors definitely acted like that, awful people.

The way I see it, the teacher got really pissed when she ruined the recital last year, so now she's really trying to make her life miserable. And with the
development that the teacher will be standing in for the Principal now... big things are afoot.

One day everyone in this thread will develop the ability to drop shows. One day...

Its pretty hard to drop anime, its like once the story gets going one wants to finish it. UNlike manga that one could justify dropping on account of lack of translations or american publishers just dropping it, cant really do the same for anime. Though the only anime that I made far enough that I ended up dropping because it was just way too deep and too branching and convoluted was Baccano, didn't understand it one bit.

Narag

Sailor Moon R: Make Up! Sailor Senshi!

15 minute short that aired before the Sailor Moon R movie. It's mostly a reintroduction to the characters as Usagi and Chibi-Usa look on as two girls gush over a Sailor Senshi poster. Usagi is trolled and Minako receives recognition so it was a worthy watch. It turns out I really miss Usagi's original transformation and the Moon Tiara stock animation. Great stuff.

It's a shame so much of it was tv animation cropped to a different aspect ratio.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Animation with a lot of key frames is animation with a lot of key frames. Perhaps 'require' is the wrong verb here. All I'm saying is the more complex the object is, the more attention to detail is important to retain that complexity, like for example anatomy. Of course, animation doesn't have to follow the rules of convention, but there is a difference between animating a stick figure and a human being with a face and muscular structure.
I asked nicely. Your first sentence shows me that my previous post was not unwarranted -- number of frames does not have much to do with quality.

You're trying to diminish KyoAni's accomplishments simply because they have the foresight and ability to make character designs suited for animation. That is wrong. There is no "difference between great animation and great animation with moeblobs" -- there is just great animation.

Kazzy

The way I see it, the teacher got really pissed when she ruined the recital last year, so now she's really trying to make her life miserable. And with the
development that the teacher will be standing in for the Principal now... big things are afoot.

I think she is completely justified in being angry, just not so overtly.

Game over man, game over!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hyouka 08:

The characters in this show really don't speak like teenagers. Well, that applies to Houtarou and Irisu more than anyone else, but the mundane subject matter of the mysteries sometimes feels at odds with just how verbose Houtarou and co. can be. Irisu clearly has some kind of agenda in the guise of a simple request based on just how much she had to say in addition to "watch this movie and guess who the killer is" just to get the Classics Club on the same wavelength as her in terms of how they approach the film and the circumstances behind her request. She has an oddly villainous air about her.

Also, KyoAni's animation devilry was pretty amazing this episode. Animation that accurately represents the look of film from a digital camcorder? Focus, lighting, depth of field, unsteady framerate, microphone noise, and first-person perspective? All really marvelous. I'm reminded of the main reason I'm still watching this.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'm guessing that Joker is here to stay. He probably wouldn't get his own Bad End animation otherwise. Example:

Well, I don't think Jester's personality allows him to really take control of an average episode, unlike the other 3, since they're more bumbling and funny than he is. Not every episode can be about the Precure getting flattened physically and mentally!

/XX/

Yeah, I remember when they cancelled Gundam AGE 20 episodes in.
Hey! If "industry sources" say that you better believe them, it doesn't matter that meanwhile they were hyping 'the 3rd generation' like there was no end... investments like that in promotion are nothing, after all! 'Peccata minuta'!

Tomat

What exactly is Precure?

When I hear "magical girls" I think "kid's show." Not looking down on anyone here watching it, but it's not something I'd typically be interested in it. Seems like there's more to it than just kawaii ass magical girls.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
tumblr_m6wpihj8xq1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

tumblr_m6wsxycSzN1qdippyo1_500.gif

Jan Ken Ponpo.

I think later I'll connect my external HD and go through old anime and give 1 sentence reviews of everything I have. Mark your calendars.

Hyouka 12
Love their rendition of Sukiyaki. Love that song and was really happy to hear it in this anime. Really liking this anime so far even though it started out pretty bland.

BluWacky

What exactly is Precure?

When I hear "magical girls" I think "kid's show." Not looking down on anyone here watching it, but it's not something I'd typically be interested in it. Seems like there's more to it than just kawaii ass magical girls.

No, there really isn't. It's just a magical girl show that people like.

Tari Tari 02
6k9N8.gif

It wasn't bad.

Music was nice, the characters are still good. More focus on the girls this episode and while the drama wasn't something I was too worried about or really all that into.

I can probably toss up a half hazard guess on the relation between the vice-principal and the music and probably relate that to the other girl, but whatever.

I kinda do want to see where all five characters come together and not randomly at the start of this episode.

OceanBlue

What exactly is Precure?

It's just a kids' show which has picked up a secondary demographic, I guess. It's entertaining, but I think you're looking too far into people just enjoying shows. I don't know what more you're looking for than magical girls.

Tomat

It's just a kids' show which has picked up a secondary demographic, I guess. It's entertaining, but I think you're looking too far into people just enjoying shows. I don't know what more you're looking for than magical girls.

*shrug*

Usually if a show aimed at a younger audience catches on with an older audience I think there's something more to it. Guess not.

Narag

What exactly is Precure?

Just magical girls. It doesn't hurt it's rebooted once a year and from what I've seen so far, it's of greatly varying quality from year to year.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
What exactly is Precure?

To give you a serious answer, the only real "twist" the Precure franchise has is that it has a lot more action than the average magical girl show. Otherwise, it's just (usually) a lot of fun to watch.

Or to put it more simply,

Branduil

What exactly is Precure?

It's the anime equivalent of bronies.

Instro

What exactly is Precure?

The action sequences are part of the draw. It's a magical girl series with actual fight scenes so I assume that is part of the reason it has picked up a broader audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom