• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZetaEpyon

He was referring to After War Gundam X. It was shortened to 39 episodes from 49 due to terrible ratings iirc.

Actually, I assumed he was referring to the original Mobile Suit Gundam, which was shortened to 43 from 52. In fact, it was cut down to 39, but they managed to negotiate an extension.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, I don't think Jester's personality allows him to really take control of an average episode, unlike the other 3, since they're more bumbling and funny than he is. Not every episode can be about the Precure getting flattened physically and mentally!

Dude, that's what the
mid-season powerup
is for!

What exactly is Precure?

When I hear "magical girls" I think "kid's show." Not looking down on anyone here watching it, but it's not something I'd typically be interested in it. Seems like there's more to it than just kawaii ass magical girls.

It's not particularly deep, but in spite of the low age target demographic and the heavy commercialization it manages to be all-ages innocent fun. Each episode is usually half comedic character interaction and half ass-kicking, and there are often surprisingly well-produced episodes whose writing and animation quality really stand out. And yeah, it's cute, so there's that. Aside from Heartcatch it's not a franchise I ever actively recommend, but there are certainly plenty of things to like about it.

It's the anime equivalent of bronies.

A loaded term and an erroneous comparison anyway if it implies anything beyond a periphery demographic fanbase.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yuru Yuri S2 - 02

PuVCp.png

Akari's troll face is amazing.

Not as good as the first episode, but it had its moments.

Narag

Actually, I assumed he was referring to the original Mobile Suit Gundam, which was shortened to 43 from 52. In fact, it was cut down to 39, but they managed to negotiate an extension.

I realized that after my post. No doubt he was referring to both!

It's because it's such a ridiculous concept one tries to make sense of it. I like to think most everyone went through a phase of questioning various mechanics and consequences of the premise before just saying fuck it.
yeah probably.
I did actually enjoy the show though
besides the exaggerated m16 bashing, I can only imagine how L85 fans feel

What exactly is Precure?

When I hear "magical girls" I think "kid's show." Not looking down on anyone here watching it, but it's not something I'd typically be interested in it. Seems like there's more to it than just kawaii ass magical girls.

It is a kid's show. Like most things, it has a broader appeal than to just little girls. I'd say more, but that's about all I know.

Narag

AKB0048 11

Hey, actions have consequences.
I'm glad Nagisa is being given a chance to shine.
I'm curious as to the exact point I transitioned from watching this for laughs to genuinely enjoying it. So much drama being set up and I'm still under the impression the show is better than the premise should rightfully allow. I got cliffhangered so damn hard too. :(

madp

The Light of El Cantare
There was nothing judgmental in my statement.

That's fine. Just, to me, "brony" implies identification with a specific subculture rather than mere consumption of the show. I suppose it's the same difference between "Star Trek fan" and "Trekkie" from decades past--in general, the obsessive and sometimes socially-backward "dark side" of fandom.

There's definitely an unsavory element of the adult Precure fandom, but it's not something that I identify with. I just like my weekly dose of colorful, cheerful violence, hahah.

What exactly is Precure?

Magical girl show with a lot more action that was a revolution to the mahou shojo genre ( IMO ) 10 years ago .. Still popular so they get new seasons..

Some season have incredible animations ( Splash star , heart catch ) and aside from 2 season , you can watch them in any order .. So join the pretty cure side and enjoy it with the rest of us .!!!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Magical girl show with a lot more action that was a revolution to the mahou shojo genre ( IMO ) 10 years ago .. Still popular so they get new seasons..

Some season have incredible animations ( Splash star , heart catch ) and aside from 2 season , you can watch them in any order .. So join the pretty cure side and enjoy it with the rest of us .!!!

So you're the mythical "person who has actually seen Splash Star", eh? Considering that it's the forgotten black sheep of the franchise, I never hear anyone mention it much less praise the animation. Interesting.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
So you're the mythical "person who has actually seen Splash Star", eh? Considering that it's the forgotten black sheep of the franchise, I never hear anyone mention it much less praise the animation. Interesting.

I'll get around to it someday... after I finish Suite and Fresh and Futari wa...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I think I'll read your impressions instead of going back and finishing it. The 5 or 6 episodes (or was it 7 or 8?) I watched were some of the most painfully boring that I have ever seen.

It really doesn't get all that more interesting.

The show was incredibly well made but I found it painfully dull from start to finish.

Instro

I don't know about the entire show but I have seen one video in particular from near the end of the show that is pretty impressive stuff.

sonicmj1

It's definitely an explicit influence.

That said, you shouldn't expect every answer to questions about the world to be answered. Haibane Renmei is a character-focused series, and the worldbuilding is subservient to that.

That's probably for the best. I don't mind.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't know about the entire show but I have seen one video in particular from near the end of the show that is pretty impressive stuff.

All of the series usually get some nice sakuga scenes in the endgame episodes, though some of the series are certainly on a whole different level than others in terms of overall animation quality and best scenes. If Geneijin would be so kind as to make an appearance in the thread he probably has gifs of the scenes in question handy. He showed me some pretty mindblowing stuff from 5 GoGo recently.

Firemind

I asked nicely. Your first sentence shows me that my previous post was not unwarranted -- number of frames does not have much to do with quality.

You're trying to diminish KyoAni's accomplishments simply because they have the foresight and ability to make character designs suited for animation. That is wrong. There is no "difference between great animation and great animation with moeblobs" -- there is just great animation.

So we more or less agree. It seems like I stepped on your toes by using the term moeblobs when my intention wasn't that of a negative connotation. Nor did I associate moeblobs solely with KyoAni.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
MLP 14

I like Rarity more after this episode. Also her original designs were obviously better than what Twilight & Co. wanted, wtf where they thinking.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Bear ears, mini UFO hat, heart-shaped breastplate and kneepads.

Worse than Sengoku Collection. I'm going to keep saying it until everyone accepts that it's the truth.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Tari Tari - 02

I am really liking this. So glad I decided to check this out as it was so close to flying under my radar.

Big props to
Sawa giving Konatsu the confidence she needed to get on stage and sing.

If everything was right in the world those two would end up being a pair.

Narag

Saiunkoku Monogatari 2

Laughed so hard at this. Shurei's hilarious, endearing, and intelligent. I couldn't ask for a better lead. I adore that familiar edge that creeps into the voice of Nobuyuki Hiyama's character too.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sengoku Collection would have been better if they kept doing documentary parodies!

I propose that the final episode be Fahrenheit 6/21, a Moore Morse documentary seeking the truth from Akechi Mitsuhide regarding Oda Nobunaga's death at Honnouji on June 21, 1582 when Akechi's forces encircled Oda and set fire to his lodgings. It's too perfect!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tari Tari - 02

I am really liking this. So glad I decided to check this out as it was so close to flying under my radar. Big props to
Sawa giving Konatsu the confidence she needed to get on stage and sing.
If everything was right in the world those two would end up being a pair.
With all the YuruYuri avatars, I almost thought that you were jman making a joke post. lol

I propose that the final episode be Fahrenheit 6/21, a Moore Morse documentary about Oda Nobunaga's death at Honnouji on June 21, 1582 when Akechi Mitsuhide's forces encircled Oda and set fire to his lodgings. It's too perfect!
They should do one about Japanese health care. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom