• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yes, which is why I think it's co-marketing gone wrong.

Books -> anime -> manga. Maybe they'll start making figures that have bonus coupons that let you order exclusive novel chapters to make it full circle.
Or maybe they won't because Hyouka is already a sales disaster that cannot be saved.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Forgot to add that I LOVE the new ED in Hyouka, however that one bit toward the end with Chitanda walking, looking back, then Ibara doing the same looked ripped right out of the 1st Haruhi OP.

Ginga e Kickoff 14
tumblr_m6p566ZZZe1rwtf0bo1_500.gif

Erika is so mean, wow. Though, almost panicked when it seemed like he had fans, guess Outa's only fans are the furuyas.

Didnt understand the accident, he twisted his ankle and somehow lost his eyesight?!

My favorite part was the discussion at the end there, really nice.
tumblr_m6w6ozlNi01qmzddso2_500.jpg

Defuser

I really think that this was a co-marketing thing gone wrong and this was the only compromise. 11.5 is important enough that it should have been a "canon" episode, but I guess it was stand-alone enough that it they decided to ghettoize it.
Sure the episode focus on Houtarou psyche after what happened which makes it 'canon' but nonetheless spending 30mins on Chitanda and yuri hugging not to mention a super boring trivia mystery which started,wasted and solved in less than 15 mins isn't really good enough.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Somehow I don't imagine the budget for Hyouka is very average. Not even factoring in opportunity cost.
Clearly it's a franchise play if they're tying the anime directly to the manga though.

Sure the episode focus on Houtarou psyche after what happened which makes it 'canon' but nonetheless spending 30mins on Chitanda and yuri hugging not to mention a super boring trivia mystery which started,wasted and solved in less than 15 mins isn't really good enough.
Well, after 11, I've come to realize that the show is working on two levels. The fanservice level for people who just want to watch Chitanda being Chitanda and the thematic level as tied to Oreki. For all intent and purpose, they
destroyed Oreki
and 11.5 is supposed to be the aftermath/denouement to that arc.

Given how western media has taken to the "asshole anti-social detective" formula (there are now two Sherlock Holmes TV shows on the air. In 2012. How the fuck did that happen?), it's a bit refreshing to see someone do the same thing but make the stakes much lower (and therefore much more personal).

But yes, I won't deny that it's all wrapped around Chitanda in a swimsuit carrying the other girl for 15 minutes. Fucking anime, after all. lol

Ladies VS Butlers! 11
Yes, what I always though was missing from this anime, shitty 3D jets. This was like the fanservice episode in this fanservice anime. I mean, is there any real reason they have to race with bread in their mouths or eels in their hands? No, but it's fun to watch anyways.Basically boils down to Flameheart and Tomomi compete against each other in order to determine who will get to go to the water park with Hino. The episode ends with a cliffhanger without showing who wins the foot race.
B8Hao.png

The outwardly prudish ones are always the ones with more daring underwear.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hah, so he really is like Cao Cao then. I wonder why the main character would be so quick to want to help Nobuna(ga) though, if he knows that s/he's supposed to be... I dunno, the Japanese equivalent of Napoleon or Hitler or Stalin.

He's not so much helping Nobuna as taking Hideyoshi Toyotomi's place. Once Nobunaga dies, Toyotomi successfully unites Japan, so if protag-kun can't do this, the timeline is altered and he probably erases himself out of existence.

I wonder if he'll have to let Nobuna die at Honnouji at the end of the series to ensure that history progresses accurately. Would certainly make a fantastically dark end to an otherwise non-notable moe haremshit series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He's not so much helping Nobuna as taking Hideyoshi Toyotomi's place. Once Nobunaga dies, Toyotomi successfully unites Japan, so if protag-kun can't do this, the timeline is altered and he probably erases himself out of existence.

I wonder if he'll have to let Nobuna die at Honnouji at the end of the series to ensure that history progresses accurately. Would certainly make a fantastically dark end to an otherwise non-notable moe haremshit series.
Well, except all his heroes have been replaced with lolis so I don't think there's any real "timeline meddling" thing going on. lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, except all his heroes have been replaced with lolis so I don't think there's any real "timeline meddling" thing going on. lol

Well, protag-kun is certainly frightened enough of the possibility to have taken up Toyotomi's former position in the Oda clan with the intent to act out all important historical events in his stead.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, protag-kun is certainly frightened enough of the possibility to have taken up Toyotomi's former position in the Oda clan with the intent to act out all important historical events in his stead.
Well, except he already changed the timeline by not giving Nobuna the dead guy's name.

Or the kid just sucked at history class.
No, the guys at Koei did, since he learned everything from Nobunaga's Ambition. :p

Well, except he already changed the timeline by not giving Nobuna the dead guy's name.

No, the guys at Koei did, since he learned everything from Nobunaga's Ambition. :p

I'm pretty sure it's close enough, with Hideyoshi usually being called a monkey, so as long as Nobuna keeps calling him Monkey, it would just be about the same!

I think it was like he gets tossed into an alternative world where females can become leaders in Sengoku Japan, hence why half of them are girls. So, more eh, close enough!

madp

The Light of El Cantare

The name is inconsequential if he successfully ensures that history continues unchanged.
Although there are people who argue that WWII would never have happened if Hitler's father hadn't returned to his mother right before Adolf was born, which would have resulted in him taking his mother's name and being Adolf Schicklgruber, a funny-sounding name even to the Germans. Who knows!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it was like he gets tossed into an alternative world where females can become leaders in Sengoku Japan, hence why half of them are girls. So, more eh, close enough!
That's why I assume this is more Dog Days than Back to the Future anyway.

The name is inconsequential if he successfully ensures that history continues unchanged.
Although there are people who argue that WWII would never have happened if Hitler's father hadn't returned to his mother right before Adolf was born, which would have resulted in him taking his mother's name and being Adolf Schicklgruber, a funny-sounding name even to the Germans. Who knows!
Well, now we're just making up time travel rules for a world that doesn't exist! lol

Ginga e Kickoff 14
tumblr_m6p566ZZZe1rwtf0bo1_500.gif

Erika is so mean, wow. Though, almost panicked when it seemed like he had fans, guess Outa's only fans are the furuyas.

Didnt understand the accident, he twisted his ankle and somehow lost his eyesight?!

My favorite part was the discussion at the end there, really nice.
tumblr_m6w6ozlNi01qmzddso2_500.jpg

I think it's more of the kid twisted his angle, tripped and banged his head on the goalpost.

Speaking of which, my memory might just be wrong, but I always thought the hobo previously coached another elementary team... That kid... time flies?

Wow, thanks. You have a rare perspective having seen all of the series, so I appreciate your input. I think I have to move Splash Star further up my backlog queue now. Will watching this before Futari wa and Max Heart make those more difficult to watch?

Splash star was considered for a moment like a bad copy ( even when all things considered it has their own ideas too ) ..For me splash star worked as his "own" thing around the 15-17 ep mark and then it was a fun awesome ride ... i defintly do NOT recommand watching the precure + max heart close to splash star ( or the opposite )

You should watch the first serie first IMO , it's rough around the edges but at the time it was really a revolution ( for me at least ) who knew only the classic magical girl style.

This is certainly one of the more bizarre pieces of crossover fanart I've stumbled across.

Smile PhiBrain!

i love good cross overs :)

Ladies VS Butlers! 12
d7TJD.png

There's probably a joke to be made here...
Well that was fun. In the end Flameheart won the ticket, but Hino is dim and can't see how these girls are obviously in love with him gives Tomomi his ticket. So it ends like it begins as any other day in this weird school. Even though it does look like Upotte a lot, you can tell this show was not as refined as that anime was, but still it was a lot of fun. It's also far ecchier than Upotte too. On to watch the specials now!

Josei stuff is just as monotonous as any other manga genrographic, except the art trends are worse and the scenarios are dry as hell, leaving little room for entertainment value. There's little potential for anything, even from KyoAni.
Isn't Hyouka basically KyoAni taking dry source material and making it more lively and suited for animation? Josei can certainly be very lively, look at Honey and Clover. You like Oshii's work, so you can't say that you don't enjoy drier productions. :p
I'm sorry for not liking things that aren't aimed at me. Doesn't mean I don't try. I've probably read more josei than you have.
What does that even mean? You only like anime/manga that is explicitly aimed at boys/men?
Shots fired.
Not really, I've never claimed to be a big manga reader. Besides, I was talking about josei anime, not manga. Of course just about every josei production has been an adaptation.

Heroman 8 - 9
tumblr_m6xa14yU2w1qbxqfpo1_500.png

That was an awesome concluding fight for the arc. I even got my wish granted
Joey showing signs of having some super abilities, that super speed was just stunning. lol love him way more than Heroman's abilties. Hope he gets even better!

Stylish use of 3D glasses, and really flashy. Should have started ep 10 for the next arc, though
I want the Skrugg to return, the leader had the best lines and perfect personality

The anime has such low scores on aggragete sites (like a 6), I dont understand, at least from the first nine episodes its one of the better anime' Ive experience, hope it doesnt fall apart later.

duckroll

[Hyouka] - 12

I stopped watching this show somewhere around episode five because it was boring me to tears. Well, actually it was making me really drowsy, which makes it hard to watch anything. So, predictably, I dropped like a rock.

I am just getting this out of the way so you know where I am coming from when I say that this is the best episode of Hyouka and it's the only episode that I've enjoyed watching. It helps that KyoAni are showing off their mad skills throughout the episode, with background art approaching movie levels of detail, but great art and animation alone don't make a show interesting as this series has already shown. It's characters who you are interested in doing interesting things plus all the excellent visual stuff that they were already pulling off.

Everyone has already given examples of great shots/moments from this episode so I'll just pick up on something that no-one has mentioned yet. It's an extremely irrelevant an easy to miss element of the opening sequence. Oreki is sitting by his computer and we get a shot looking straight into his eyes where we can see his computer monitor being reflected back at us. They actually bothered to animate some flicker from the monitor, even though it's only onscreen for a second and you're probably going to ignore it anyway. That's dedication.

So yeah, everyone should watch this episode, even people like me who found the entire series to be extremely tedious.

Also I take it firehawk12 or whoever didn't talk about his sequence because it's already been covered in the show or something:

TheyWere11.jpg

Or is that no-one around here has seen/read They Were Eleven? I find it extremely interesting that Ibara chooses to cosplay as Frol. I suppose it could have no wider meaning but as Frol is such a hugely loaded character in terms of what they represent you would assume the reference has some further meaning. However, it doesn't really seem to tie into anything else I've seen so far.

Yay, I'm glad you gave the episode a shot. It's very good and definitely a ton of fun. The best thing about it is how un-Hyouka it is, which means it isn't even boring. Hooray!

As for the Frol thing, I feel that the costume is a strong reflection of Mayaka's character personality itself. I don't think there's a particularly deep comparison between her and the character, but rather that it shows her taste in manga is different from the other people in the club who go for more popular and trendy cosplay. She also doesn't like cosplay in particular, and is self-conscious of being seen as an otaku, but yet she decided to do it anyway because deep down she really likes manga, just not the ones everyone else does.

I think it's a really cute way to show that Mayaka is a closet geek who feels uncomfortable about people knowing too much about her hobbies, but is pretty passionate about them even if she doesn't express it openly. It also avoids unnatural exposition where she has to say this out herself.

F/Z is a decent-looking show, but Hyouka is on a completely different level. Ufotable can't even DREAM of being worthy of comparison to GodAni.

It's hard to get upset when you're just trolling another show (which clearly you know is a serious competitor, or you wouldn't even choose to use it), just to attempt to prop up the achievements of your "team". In fact, it's kinda cute. ^_^

Uh, Hyouka's designs are much better than fate's. Zero is what you get if you get competent people to somehow make the shitty Type Moon designs palatable.

But yes, I have to agree that ultimately, the character designs are not really the strongest point of Fate/Zero, because it's still based on really dodgy original designs. There is only so much you can polish out of a turd, and the achievements that Ufotable have made stand on their own. Hyouka is free from that because the novels didn't even have particularly detailed designs in the first place, so we get much more attractive looking designs. Too bad they don't do much with them though, aside from the occasional episode where it's visually eye-popping.

Yes, which is why I think it's co-marketing gone wrong.

Books -> anime -> manga. Maybe they'll start making figures that have bonus coupons that let you order exclusive novel chapters to make it full circle.

I don't think it's co-marketing gone wrong at all. There's this on and off discussion I've been having with dresden, Articalys, hosanna, and a few other people lately about the impact of anime as marketing to increase the sales of manga. There are undeniable numbers which show that in cases where it is successful, it is worth funding an entire anime series just to drastically increase the readership of manga.

In this case, the blu-ray for the episode is being released as an OAD packaged with a special edition of Vol3 of the Hyouka manga. This is similar to something that has been done previously with XXXHolic, Kindachi, Negima, etc. This experiment is also very successful. You can get far greater sales of a higher-priced manga which includes a stand alone episode of the anime, rather than selling anime as you normally do.

It's actually a pretty interesting phenomena which I think would make for a good discussion with more research and numbers crunched. The basis is basically that because novels and manga are actually priced at a reasonable rate and the barrier of entry is low enough for anyone to buy-in, what an anime series does is that it creates a larger marketing machine to raise the awareness that such a product exists to begin with. So even if no one really buys the actual anime itself because the pricing is ridiculous, it huge amount of people it reaches could end up buying the manga/novels of that series instead because its more readily available and actually affordable.

What does that even mean? You only like things that appeal to your boyish sensibilities?

I could turn this right back at you and say you only like things that appeal to your rigid anti-fanservice sensibilities (which cuts out A LOT of quality works). So yes, I mostly like things that appeal to my gender. I'm sorry that my tastes are straightforward.

Not really, I've never claimed to be a big manga reader. Besides, I was talking about josei anime, not manga.

If there was more josei anime, we might be able to have a discussion here, but there's really not enough. I've seen Usagi Drop and Kuragehime to the end, which is probably more than the average anime watcher.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think it's co-marketing gone wrong at all. There's this on and off discussion I've been having with dresden, Articalys, hosanna, and a few other people lately about the impact of anime as marketing to increase the sales of manga. There are undeniable numbers which show that in cases where it is successful, it is worth funding an entire anime series just to drastically increase the readership of manga.

In this case, the blu-ray for the episode is being released as an OAD packaged with a special edition of Vol3 of the Hyouka manga. This is similar to something that has been done previously with XXXHolic, Kindachi, Negima, etc. This experiment is also very successful. You can get far greater sales of a higher-priced manga which includes a stand alone episode of the anime, rather than selling anime as you normally do.

It's actually a pretty interesting phenomena which I think would make for a good discussion with more research and numbers crunched. The basis is basically that because novels and manga are actually priced at a reasonable rate and the barrier of entry is low enough for anyone to buy-in, what an anime series does is that it creates a larger marketing machine to raise the awareness that such a product exists to begin with. So even if no one really buys the actual anime itself because the pricing is ridiculous, it huge amount of people it reaches could end up buying the manga/novels of that series instead because its more readily available and actually affordable.
I don't have a problem with them doing pack-in episodes and whatnot. I just have a problem with this particular tie-in because it actually ruins the story that the novelist/anime is trying to tell. It's why I think they streamed it at all, even with all the crap they had to dump on the screen. Going from 11 to 12 directly sucks the air out of the entire movie arc and I'm still baffled that someone - the author, the manga publisher, KyoAni, whomever - thought that was a good idea.

The flip side is that you have something like Book Girl, which wouldn't have had any animated episodes at all (with the exception of the movie I suppose) if it weren't for the publisher using OVAs as an attempt at co-marketing. It looks like a lot of shoujo gets one off manga pack-in OVAs as well, and given that the anime market is so driven by otaku buying moe shit, that's probably as close as some of those shows will ever see to a full-fledged anime. In that respect, it's fine and serves as a nice bonus for fans.

Jarmel

Banned
I felt the same way about Haibane Renmei as darkside and qcf though. Namely, "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz." That was then and this is now, so maybe I'd like it better if I rewatched it with more experience and cynicism wrt animu under my belt.

I had a much similar issue. I've tries twice now to watch the show and both times I fell asleep which never happens. I do intend on watching it all the way through eventually.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I could turn this right back at you and say you only like things that appeal to your rigid anti-fanservice sensibilities (which cuts out A LOT of quality works). So yes, I mostly like things that appeal to my gender. I'm sorry that my tastes are straightforward.

Shots fired

I can't help myself

Jarmel

Banned
Heroman 8 - 9
tumblr_m6xa14yU2w1qbxqfpo1_500.png

The anime has such low scores on aggragete sites (like a 6), I dont understand, at least from the first nine episodes its one of the better anime' Ive experience, hope it doesnt fall apart later.

Lol no. One of the few times people scored this correctly. It wasn't painful unlike other shows I've seen but the show is nothing more than mediocre at the best of times.

Femmeworth doesn't like fun.
well... when I think LvB, all I can recall is the specials. I don't understand why :)
They were surprisingly well done that's for sure...

Sure. I generally like josei productions because they happen to appeal to me, not because they are aimed at women. You make it sound like you are letting your gender limit you.
If there was more josei anime, we might be able to have a discussion here, but there's really not enough. I've seen Usagi Drop and Kuragehime to the end, which is probably more than the average anime watcher.
Fair enough.
Femmeworth doesn't like fun.
How many times do we have to go over this? I don't hate fun. *hands Chet Rippo a pamphlet detailing Femmeworth approved fun*

duckroll

I don't have a problem with them doing pack-in episodes and whatnot. I just have a problem with this particular tie-in because it actually ruins the story that the novelist/anime is trying to tell. It's why I think they streamed it at all, even with all the crap they had to dump on the screen. Going from 11 to 12 directly sucks the air out of the entire movie arc and I'm still baffled that someone - the author, the manga publisher, KyoAni, whomever - thought that was a good idea.

The flip side is that you have something like Book Girl, which wouldn't have had any animated episodes at all (with the exception of the movie I suppose) if it weren't for the publisher using OVAs as an attempt at co-marketing. It looks like a lot of shoujo gets one off manga pack-in OVAs as well, and given that the anime market is so driven by otaku buying moe shit, that's probably as close as some of those shows will ever see to a full-fledged anime. In that respect, it's fine and serves as a nice bonus for fans.

Episode 11.5 doesn't exist in the novels. It is an anime original episode with a plot concept from the original author, but it was designed from the start to be a bonus anime episode for the express intention of selling a manga volume. They even announced this before the anime aired, that it would be 21 on air episodes and 1 bonus OAD episode. So your entire theory mostly falls flat. :)

Something i never really got were Manga adaptions of LN/VN's in conjunction with an anime.

Would that be the equivalent of the novelization of a movie?

Sure. I generally like josei productions because they happen to appeal to me, not because they are aimed at women. You make it sound like you are letting your gender limit you.

And that's the thing. You're making me out to be some kind of guy insecure in his masculinity that's sending the progression on gender roles in society back several centuries. No, I just find most stuff aimed at women boring as shit. Shoujo and josei are generally very tropey, even moreso than shounen and seinen. I happen to not care about those tropes at all.

But just so we're clear that I'm not some crazy close-minded sexist, here's what I've read/watched.

Josei I love/loved

Satanister

Josei I like(d)/see potential in
Rex Fabula
Anime Tenchou
Ryuu wa Tasogare no Yume o Miru
Servamp
Mantis Woman
Zombieya Reiko
Deka Wanko
di[e]ce

Josei that wasn't a poor use of my time
Usagi Drop
Gokusen
Kuragehime (though I dropped the manga)
Antimagia
Hagoromo Mishin
God's Child (would be in liked category if the art didn't throw me for a loop)

Josei I dropped
Kids on the Slope
Nodame Cantabile
Night Walker
07-Ghost
Dawn - Tsumetai Te
Are You Alice?
Arcana 11: Time Travel & Time Travelers
Uwasaya
Darling wa Namamono ni Tsuki
Helter Skelter

Shoujo I like