• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B008BDRFBU/

Amazon Japan's cover of this month's Gangan reveals the first Zetsuen no Tempest anime key visual!

CWYkt.jpg

Debates! Debates everywhere!

Novid

Banned
I laugh at Apple Fanboys sometimes. Yes it bigger than God. But Apple dont got a movie studio, 3 animated studios, owners of vevo (which i dislike) all of the master tape tech, a soccer team, 15 video game studios (18 but they close down three) there own bank, insurance, all of the Gracenote lists...do i need to go on.

duckroll

This looks, um, kinda awesome. Is it an adaptation of something (besides the Dvorak symphony, hyuk hyuk) or an actual original work?

It's based on a novel. This series was actually announced a while back: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...w-world-novel-gets-tv-anime-from-a-1-pictures

The anime studio A-1 Pictures is adapting Yūsuke Kishi's award-winning 2008 speculative-fiction novel From the New World (Shin Sekai Yori) for the TV Asahi network. Masashi Ishihama, the character designer and animation director of the Read or Die franchise and Welcome to THE SPACE SHOW, is directing.

The story is set in Japan a millennium from now. Five children — the protagonist Saki, Satoru, Maria, Mamoru, and Shun — have been born and raised in a tranquil town that can be described as a utopia, overflowing with water and green foilage. The world is ruled by people who have the "cursed power" or the "gods' power" of telekinesis.

After a certain incident, Saki and the others come to realize the true nature of their world. Before long, they learn everything, including the bloody history that brought humanity to this state. The five throw themselves into life-threatening adventure and fighting to protect friends and a world on the brink of collapse.

Jex

A-1 Pictures TV series confirmed to be airing in the Fall season:

Continuations:
- Fairy Tail (TV Tokyo)
- Space Bros (YTV)
- Sword Art Online (Tokyo MX)

New Shows:
- Gyrozetter (TV Tokyo)
- Magi (MBS/TBS)
- From the New World (TV Asahi)

Aniplex taking over anime.

They must have even more studio's than we know about because that shit is bananas, as the UK dub of Angel Cop would say.

Sony despite money issues, is still mindblowingly huge. They never really did anything animation wise, but now via Aniplex there all in. Same will happen in the states if they get one Theatrical hit animation wise.
But you would think with all that animu they air, they would START handling production Via there Syndication arms in the US but NOOOOOOOOO

Sony has been trying to launch Animax in North America for awhile now. I'm not sure what the holdup is.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 6:

The Another episode, I guess. Sometimes it's a bad idea to spread ghost stories when your name is the same as the ghost's. This is probably a useful thing to remember for future reference.

They've been sort of hinting at a real story arc with these post-ED sequences. I kinda hope with only 12 episodes they'll actually get into it and resolve it so I don't have to resort to reading the manga.

Instro

I laugh at Apple Fanboys sometimes. Yes it bigger than God. But Apple dont got a movie studio, 3 animated studios, owners of vevo (which i dislike) all of the master tape tech, a soccer team, 15 video game studios (18 but they close down three) there own bank, insurance, all of the Gracenote lists...do i need to go on.

I'd like that.

Novid

Banned
Sony has been trying to launch Animax in North America for awhile now. I'm not sure what the holdup is.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 6:

The Another episode, I guess. Sometimes it's a bad idea to spread ghost stories when your name is the same as the ghost's. This is probably a useful thing to remember for future reference.

They've been sort of hinting at a real story arc with these post-ED sequences. I kinda hope with only 12 episodes they'll actually get into it and resolve it so I don't have to resort to reading the manga.

They want to appese all the american unions first im guessing.

Apple is also not near bankruptcy after a decade of gross mismanagement. Sony has all these assets but also have lost nearly $12 billion in just the last 4 years and don't exactly show any signs of turning a profit anytime soon. A business cannot keep losing money perpetually and survive no matter what assets they may or may not have.

Novid

Banned
Apple is also not near bankruptcy after a decade of gross mismanagement. Sony has all these assets but also have lost nearly $12 billion in just the last 4 years and don't exactly show any signs of turning a profit anytime soon. A business cannot keep losing money perpetually and survive no matter what assets they may or may not have.

True. but in before dat WAR CHEST. In before Sony Copied Ninty so Apple Copied from Sony... Apple is Overvauled as hell. Nothing Wrong (MUCH) with the product. But call me when they start making some films, master tape players, (good job on the Itunes money hatting btw, Sony does that everyday and never has to break a sweat) working on that animu...

Jex

Yep. Given that this story wasn't in the source material, then I can only assume that they were told to make a crappy fanservice episode and that someone decided to actually make it matter. GodAni and all that.
But ducrkoll said it was bad, like every other episode of Hyouka. Who am I supposed to trust?

Branduil

It's also notable that the From the New World novel won the "Nihon SF Taishou" award for best novel in 2008, for whatever that's worth.

I like that the Anime thread has become Novid's place to post his rantings about anything thats tangentially related to anime. Really its the only thing I feel these threads have been missing.

Novid

Banned
I like that the Anime thread has become Novid's place to post his rantings about anything thats tangentially related to anime. Really its the only thing I feel these threads have been missing.

Cajin isnt here. He didnt mark the OS-Tan nakedness with that NSFW sign.

Jex

I felt the same way about Haibane Renmei as darkside and qcf though. Namely, "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz." That was then and this is now, so maybe I'd like it better if I rewatched it with more experience and cynicism wrt animu under my belt.

Even though it took me two attempts, separated by a few years, I eventually got around to finishing Haibane Renmei without falling asleep. Once I'd survived the opening few episodes I actually found the material rather engaging but I wont deny that it starts as a rather "zzzzz" series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But ducrkoll said it was bad, like every other episode of Hyouka. Who am I supposed to trust?
Depends if you see Hyouka as a character piece or just another slice of life show I suppose. I think KyoAni has a greater plan for Hyouka, in the same way that they turned K-On!! into something much more than the manga ever aimed for.

---

Smile Precure 22
NEzJ1l.jpg

I forgot that we were in serious arc mode. While I liked the mental power-up montage/whatever you want to call it scenes (the second half of the episode looked really good at times, the shot above included), it's still a bit hard to take what happens seriously given the character designs and some of the background designs.

When your serious moment involves a book flapping its pages like wings, I can't take that seriously even if you play dramatic music. Although, maybe if you're a little girl, it's all good.

One week to the epic showdown I suppose.

Horizon 2-1
GaDtvl.jpg

Did they just conflate Ben Jonson the poet with Ben Johnson the steroid using Canadian track athlete? Japan, you so crazy.

And yes, this was just nonsense as cosmic said it would be. I forgot how ugly a lot of the characters looked though... the giant breasts are really more off-putting than attractive in any way. Leave it to anime to desexualize even something as simple as that. :p

Speaking of which, I finally got a chance to see Kobayashi's character.:
9Tkuxl.jpg

Yay, I guess? That reminds me I should watch the latest Ginga e Kickoff, actually...

Narag

Lupin III Pilot

The original animated pilot for Lupin III is pretty neat. It mostly functions as an introduction to the characters (something I thought the first series sorely lacked until that alternative OP where Lupin introduces everyone himself) giving each a bit of spotlight with narration on their strengths and history. It's held up pretty well, I'll say, with some very nicely animated parts like the exploding car, the crashing waves during Goemon's section, and Jigen's fistfight. It's nice to see where the animation from the green jacket series' OP came from. If I had any complaint about the art it's that often it felt like Fujiko''s were drawn too large and the two highlights made her look like she was staring off past whatever she was looking at or talking to at times which kinda creeped me out. At 12 minutes though, it's not much of an time investment and rather fun to watch.

It also comes in two flavors: 4:3 and a version shot in Cinemascope. I'd appreciate clarification as to which came first as I read different stuff while looking it up. Some sources say the Cinemascope version came first while others say it's the 4:3 version that was reshot in 1978 but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me given some of the pans used in the 4:3 version. Then again, the sliding backgrounds in the 4:3 version had this jitter to them that wasn't present in the Cinemascope version so that had me wondering if it was fixed later hence my confusion.

The voices for Zenigata, Lupin, and Goemon differ between the versions although Fujiko and Jigen remain the same. They're mostly the same with some different backgrounds although there's a gogo dancing scene with Fujiko that used a great montage of photographs in the background that served well to mark the time of the era that's reduced to something entirely boring in the Cinemascope version.

I preferred the Cinemascope's visuals in the end though. Stuff like the Goemon scene below is rather striking in a larger aspect ratio.

Branduil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihon_SF_Taisho_Award

- 17th (1996) Gamera 2 directed by Shūsuke Kaneko.

- 24th (2003) Marduk Scramble by Tō Ubukata

- 25th (2004) Innocence by Mamoru Oshii

- 29th (2008) Shinsekai yori by Yusuke Kishi, Denno Coil by Mitsuo Iso

Hmmmm....

And now we know what it's worth!

I am interested in seeing how Masashi Ishihama does in his first series director role. He's done a lot of different work for a lot of interesting anime, and the flat-shaded style From the New World is using for the characters makes sense when you consider he was the animation director for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

The trailers certainly seem to have a lot of interesting shots, but then that doesn't necessarily mean the show itself will be good, or maintain that consistency.

Jex

Depends if you see Hyouka as a character piece or just another slice of life show I suppose. I think KyoAni has a greater plan for Hyouka, in the same way that they turned K-On!! into something much more than the manga ever aimed for.
duckroll is so shallow :(

Jex

In any case, Jexhius is revising history, because he clearly enjoyed episode 5 of Hyouka with the rest of us.

I enjoyed it more than other episodes of Hyouka, which is to say I wasn't actively bored by it. At the time that was as close as the show had gotten to being enjoyable.

Episode twelve is different because it's actually entertaining to watch.

Novid

Banned
Lupin III Pilot

The original animated pilot for Lupin III is pretty neat. It mostly functions as an introduction to the characters (something I thought the first series sorely lacked until that alternative OP where Lupin introduces everyone himself) giving each a bit of spotlight with narration on their strengths and history. It's held up pretty well, I'll say, with some very nicely animated parts like the exploding car, the crashing waves during Goemon's section, and Jigen's fistfight. It's nice to see where the animation from the green jacket series' OP came from. If I had any complaint about the art it's that often it felt like Fujiko''s were drawn too large and the two highlights made her look like she was staring off past whatever she was looking at or talking to at times which kinda creeped me out. At 12 minutes though, it's not much of an time investment and rather fun to watch.

It also comes in two flavors: 4:3 and a version shot in Cinemascope. I'd appreciate clarification as to which came first as I read different stuff while looking it up. Some sources say the Cinemascope version came first while others say it's the 4:3 version that was reshot in 1978 but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me given some of the pans used in the 4:3 version. Then again, the sliding backgrounds in the 4:3 version had this jitter to them that wasn't present in the Cinemascope version so that had me wondering if it was fixed later hence my confusion.

The voices for Zenigata, Lupin, and Goemon differ between the versions although Fujiko and Jigen remain the same. They're mostly the same with some different backgrounds although there's a gogo dancing scene with Fujiko that used a great montage of photographs in the background that served well to mark the time of the era that's reduced to something entirely boring in the Cinemascope version.

I preferred the Cinemascope's visuals in the end though. Stuff like the Goemon scene below is rather striking in a larger aspect ratio.

Wonder if they at least have a negative of the Cinemascope, they could do a HD master off of it.

Jex

As for the Frol thing, I feel that the costume is a strong reflection of Mayaka's character personality itself. I don't think there's a particularly deep comparison between her and the character, but rather that it shows her taste in manga is different from the other people in the club who go for more popular and trendy cosplay. She also doesn't like cosplay in particular, and is self-conscious of being seen as an otaku, but yet she decided to do it anyway because deep down she really likes manga, just not the ones everyone else does.

I think it's a really cute way to show that Mayaka is a closet geek who feels uncomfortable about people knowing too much about her hobbies, but is pretty passionate about them even if she doesn't express it openly. It also avoids unnatural exposition where she has to say this out herself.
Right, I forgot to point out how everyone else in her club is just dressing up at the latest trendy, vapid character designs where as Mayaka is clearly supposed to be more cultured and refined, at least in the area of classic manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom