• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geneijin

Heroman 8 - 9
tumblr_m6xa14yU2w1qbxqfpo1_500.png

That was an awesome concluding fight for the arc. I even got my wish granted
Joey showing signs of having some super abilities, that super speed was just stunning. lol love him way more than Heroman's abilties. Hope he gets even better!

Stylish use of 3D glasses, and really flashy. Should have started ep 10 for the next arc, though
I want the Skrugg to return, the leader had the best lines and perfect personality

The anime has such low scores on aggragete sites (like a 6), I dont understand, at least from the first nine episodes its one of the better anime' Ive experience, hope it doesnt fall apart later.
Episode 10 is still the best episode of the series.

And the 2nd arc is so much better than the 1st.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ginga e Kickoff 14

Okay, so my nitpick from the last couple of episodes still stands:

VxzVNl.jpg

This shit makes absolutely no sense whatsover. As the audience, we see that the father only has one camera. He didn't have a full camera crew filming the game from every single angle, so when they show game footage and it looks exactly like it did in the actual game, it just looks like nonsense to me.

I know it's a money saving thing, but it just breaks my suspension of disbelief. Besides, how hard would it have been to animate the characters playing the game from the perspective of the stands anyway? I can *almost* buy it if it's a flashback and the character remembers a scene from the anime exactly as it happened in the anime, but this is just lazy.

Also, I'm shocked that people actually care about sportsmanship in soccer because my understanding is that there's more diving in soccer than in the summer Olympics.
Js2V3l.jpg

(This shot is actually pretty neat, given what happens at the end of the episode actually. It cues the audience for the self-reflective moment that the coach will have anyway).

The only thing that was really weird about the episode was coach's breakdown. I don't have a problem with it per se, but the way it was handled in the episode made it felt like a scene that came out of a jdrama. It was supposed to be an emotional catharsis, but it was so overplayed that it was almost a parody of itself.
vILKJl.jpg

But hey, it's a sports show that's about more than sports, so I shouldn't complain too much.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 8:

And suddenly, the episode is drawn, framed, animated in perspective, and otherwise appears entirely normally without any SHAFT-isms. Shin Oonuma does something very clever here by suddenly making the show look normal, he neatly delineates the ordinary world of Teiichi without Yuuko and separates it from his unusual world which has ghost moe in it. More than anything else, I really love how the SHAFT art style in this show is used appropriately to convey the surrealism of Teiichi's life with ghost moe in it, and the sudden removal of that style this episode demonstrates how ordinary and bland his life is when Yuuko is removed from it.

What I find fascinating about this episode is Oonuma's consciousness of his onetime master's art style and his ability to actually make use of it when appropriate and then suddenly remove it when useful to make a visual motif out of it's suddenly bland normality. As the student who has left his master, he was able to understand that the unusual art style Shinbo developed is useful to convey surrealism but when used all the time without regard to it's motif, such as seen in Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari, it's just a gimmick.

I hope this means Oonuma will direct Prisma Illya with a sense of normalcy in the ordinary world and use SHAFT Mode for the Mirror World. I think that would be an appropriate use of the art style as it relates to Prisma Illya.

trejo

Kids on the Slope 8-12

A really solid wrap up for a show with a number of ups and downs. Its strengths very obviously lie in the great bromance between Richie and Sentarou so naturally whenever the show moves away from that it takes a considerable nosedive. Case in pont, the whole Bro Jun x Yurika storyline could be safely excised completely and it would probably be better off that way and there's also the tiny detail that whenever Fang boy got some screentime I felt this unbearable urge to punch my screen and I wanted him to GTFO as fast as possible. I also feel like Richie's relationship with Riko could've been handled better but, as I said, that was never really the focus of the show so all things considered I think it's something I can overlook.

The soundtrack, of course, was fanfuckingtastic the whole way through.

I give it eight of my favorite things out of ten.

Tsuritama 8-12

This is one of those shows that at first I only follow for like a couple of things I like about it out of the whole package but then slowly but surely it begins to grow on me. By the time the climax of the story was in full swing I was fist pumping and cheering Yuki on like the rest of the cast and even Haru stopped being unbearably annoying at some point or another. Having said that, the backgrounds in the show never really jived with me and I thought they were more of a distraction the whole way through. There's just something about their very deliberate photoshop filter-y look that I was never able to get over. Still, I'd say this is definitely a step in the right direction for Kenji Nakamura after the very disappointing way [C] turned out.

I give it seven and a half water squirts out of ten.

MGX 13

Honestly, I thought this was a bit of a letdown. Did they really need to use such a large part of the final episode to focus on some sister backstory? She hardly got any screentime during the show's run anyway. I think I'm mostly against it just because Oka didn't show up at all and we all know she was by far the best girl in this thing.

Judging the show as a whole though, it was an entertaining ride overall so I can't complain too much. I only feel bad for Tsubaki because he's so whipped it's not even funny anymore.

I give it seven spit swaps out of ten.

Space Bros 10-14

It's always somewhat boring to write about Space bros because, really, there's never much to say other than repeatedly state how the show thus far has been consistently great and how Mutta is probably one of the most charming main characters ever and that it's overall just a very entertaining show to watch.

I'm really enjoying this third test arc and seeing the way the character interact with each other though one thing I will declare is that I don't like monkey boy at all and I think he is one annoying little prick even if his douchiness is never really intentionally mean spirited. In a way, I'd say sometimes those people who don't even really notice they are being huge assholes are even worse than those who do it on purpose. At least Mutta always knows how to act like a true bro.

Also, the new OP and ED don't feel quite as moon as the previous ones but at least the little dance is funny.

Saintcatch Seiyacure 8-14

After I was told this show picked up again after the turd sandwich it had become once it entered tournament arc territory I decided to give it another chance and, while it hasn't hit some of those really low lows yet I gotta say, I'm still not impressed.

I must admit it was funny how for a bit there Kouga's mission suddenly shifted from "I gotta find Saori no matter what!" to
"Saori? The fuck is that? I gotta save this cute girl I just met no matter what!"
. And I gotta say,
getting rid of the old Sanctuary like that
was a real dick move, for sure. My childhood nostalgia did not appreciate that one bit. Fuckers.

I guess it's real telling where this show's characters stand with me when an appearance by
freakin' Shun
of all people becomes one of its highlights. Oh well.

Hyouka 6-11

Well fuck me how did I end up back here, I wonder?

One thing I gotta say is that watching the finale of the mystery film arc I was getting increasingly pissed off at every member of the ice cream club. I mean, I think Oreki is a bag of dicks of a main character and all but still, the guy is not a goddamned mind reader! The way everyone approached him one by one and were all
"Oh I think the trick you came up with was fine it's just too bad you're a useless piece of shit who couldn't divine with 100% perfect accuracy what the sick chick actually wanted to do and I'm irritated at you for fuck all of a reason but that's totally fine, really!"
. Talk about overblown expectations. And for someone who claims to not like wasting more energy than what is necessary he sure gets pretty worked up about some rather inconsequential shit himself.

And the, let's say, intensity with which these characters treat the events surrounding them still strikes me as grossly unrealistic. I mean, it's a fucking student film, people. The stakes are not exactly high, so why do they treat this shit with all this heightened sense of importance? It's so off-putting the way these kids don't behave like any normal person would in some circumstances.

At least there was still drunk Chitanda to save the day.

Eureka Seven AO 9-10

It's alright. That hunchbacked Pied Piper chief guy is one proper badass.

Eureka Seven AO 11

An episode entirely focused on Elena Peoples and the awful
alternate dimension
crap I couldn't give less of a shit about? Well, fuck my life this is torture.

Eureka Seven AO 12

On the bright side, at least there's no possible way this episode is any worse than the las- wait, wat...

OHMYLAWD IS THAT SOME MOTHERFUCKIN
GEKKOSTATE AND EUREKA
WUT WUT WUT AWESOME BONES IS AWESOME ALL OVER MY FACE FUCK YEAH!

Instro

Speaking of jcstaff, I watched Joshiraku earlier. It's a shame 90% of the jokes are based in wordplay and such, there's really not much there for a gaijin such as myself. Characters seemed fun though.

jman2050

It's also okay to point out that a show is doing more than just being shallow too.

Why do you still hate K-On? :(

Because it's boring.

I'm really simple to read. My opinions and the methodology for those opinions are at most slightly less mysterious than a Hyouka mystery.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Speaking of jcstaff, I watched Joshiraku earlier. It's a shame 90% of the jokes are based in wordplay and such, there's really not much there for a gaijin such as myself. Characters seemed fun though.
You can just watch it for the moe girls. They tell you to do that, so it's okay!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Looks alright, their mouths are a bit big though.

Also aren't Aladdin's parachute pants a bit too low rise?

jman2050

Yeah I imagine if you're not into that type of clever (and not-so-clever) wordplay and non-sequitur based humor that Joshiraku is going to do anything for you. Even worse since it's Japanese wordplay. Hell, the only way I could even follow at all was likely a result of previous cultural osmosis.

You can just watch it for the moe girls. They tell you to do that, so it's okay!

This works too if you're into that sort of thing I guess.

Of all the people to tell that they've forgotten how bad most anime is you tell me? The person that hates almost everything? And concerning Arcana Famiglia, fuck yes I will single that shit out. It's still the only first episode of anything this season I have not been able to finish because it sucked too hard. I finished Campione. Finished Sword Art Online. Finished Binbougami ga. Finshed Hagure Yuusha no Estetica! Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai. Natsuyuki Rendezvous. Only show I wasn't able to even sit through all the way was La storia della Arcana Famiglia. Despite being not as pervy as some of the other drek I watched this season it's still a shittier show.
Arcana Famiglia is better than all of the shows you listed there that I've watched any of.

Also, if you want something you won't be able to sit through, what about the imouto show? It's atrociously bad, and still would be even without the incest element.

Tell me what good it does to say that something is shit, but less shitty than most? Something's either good or not and just because it has competitors that are even worse does not make it better by default.
Being less bad than other stupid things might make the less bad one slightly more worth watching...

Bodacious Space Pirates stuff. I'm not going to bother quoting this or spending too much time on it because I still have seen no more of the show than I did when I made the previous post. There's really nowhere for this to go because I never plan on watching another episode.
It doesn't help that you seem to have ignored everything I said and are just repeating yourself, even though I explained how some of the things you said were entirely wrong. I guess I'll have to say it again.

All I will say is this, it's unusual for Privateers, pirates, to become teachers at a school.
That's not a normal situation, she just is because she's special. (As for the teachers, that's a completely temporary situation. That ends after the first arc.)

It's unusual for a school to have a pirate ship.
They don't. The Hakuoh Academy Yacht Club has a ship that, back in the past, used to be a pirate ship once. It isn't one anymore.

... Why do they have it though? That's been speculated on, but isn't known, I don't think, so far anyway.

What I'm saying is the level of integration between these pirate/privateers and the government suggests a cozier relationship than a standard Letter or Marquee would suggest. It's one thing to have a questionable, read illegal, lifestyle and it be sanctioned by the government so long as you do it towards a common enemy and a totally different thing to actually be welcomed by that government as upstanding citizens and allowed government jobs and shit like that. They are not merely granted authority by the government to sink and pillage the enemy they're welcomed with open arms as members of society which is fucking weird.
You're completely, totally wrong here. None of this stuff is actually going on in Bodacious Space Pirates to any significant degree.

To explain, because you refuse to watch a couple more episodes and have it explained for you,
the way it works is that the "pirates" are basically half special courtiers and half entertainers. As I said, things get serious in the final arc of the season, but that aside, the modern pirate (privateer) doesn't do real piracy. The first side, courtiers, is that they occasionally take on special missions too sensitive for the military. The Bentenmaru does several of these through the show, and it leads to some interesting missions.

Their primary job is the latter one, though. This "piracy" is essentially a show -- the pirates hold up luxury cruise liners and rob the people there. They do actually take their stuff, but it's mostly done as a show to entertain the crowd. Then, the insurance company reimburses the people on the cruise liner for their losses. The pirates are insured as well, probably often from the same companies. They're required to do missions regularly or they'll lose their letter of marque, and of course you can't get those back.

So, the privateers are not actually doing anything illegal, and are not participating in a war. They are robbing people, but only in a controlled, sanctioned manner. One question the series asks is, how much worth do pirates really have, when this is all they do? And yes, the show does ask the question, and it's an important one. How does it answer it? Well, that's what watching the show is for. :)

Campione stuff

The show sucked but I'm not sure it's sexist. Ok, well it is but unless everyone on a team's on the exact same level in a show if someone gets saved by someone else does it have to be sexist? Her getting saved by the MC isn't inherently sexist, the show's aimed at men, the leads a man, deal with it. I wouldn't call a show where the female lead saves a male sexist by default either. Things are what they are and if you're going to have mixed gender team ups one of the genders is going to get saved by the other.
It's stupidly sexist because she's supposed to be a highly trained warrior/mage, and he's a nobody. If it was the other way around, sure, it'd be much less so. And "it's because the show is for guys"... that's an explanation, but not an excuse.

Now the show's still sexist because she's nothing but a walking pair of tits, something for the MC to defend and someone to inspire the hero to do better. She's not a character but a plot device. So yeah, sexist show is sexist.

But I don't even care about that! What pisses me off is what a poor plot device she is! I mean, the girl can fly and she gets saved from falling! God damnit. You know, up until that point her flying was like the only fucking skill they even showed she had besides also speaking Japanese, naturally, so of all the lame things she needed to be rescued from a fall was the least of what I expected. It's also the most insulting to her as a chara.. ahem.. plot device because aside form looking pretty in a dress that's the only thing we expect her to do at that point, fucking fly. It's not like she was particularly built up in the first place but now the only thing they can do to degrade the poor woman now is have the main come in and have to translate Japanese for her, because being bilingual's the only strength she has now besides being a sex object.
Entirely agreed here, though. Are you taking back what you said in that first paragraph here?

But, I mean, again, it's not so much the sexism but the poor presentation of it. The show fails because the writing is fucking shit. They want her to seem cool but she's nerfed to hell, her one ability to fly's defeated in the first episode and she's repeatedly saved by some lame amateur. That's pretty insulting on it's own but then, then they have the nerve to write all the other scenes. Like seriously, why the fuck did they all go and get drunk? Just a normal nightcap for a 16 year old in Italy? Some kind of celebration for not defeating that God earlier in the episode? A celebration for delivering the tablet to the witch? Why the fuck is she getting drunk? Just for the undressing scene. It's so painful because that's the only reason the drinking scene prior existed, they didn't even bother writing in a reason for why they're getting drunk.
The scenes just are, questioning their logic will get you nowhere, I think...

There's not even a hint of characterization here, they're just moving her body through scene to scene for no reason but for her to be there. And that's why the show sucks. The girl doesn't even exist as a character and as a plot point they don't even bother figuring out how she/it gets from point a to b except that however it is it's on top of a car.

You say you don't completely hate the characters, I haven't even seen the characters yet, I doubt the show has any characters. Just fucking animated plot avatars.
Heh... um, she has decent character design, despite the silly blonde hair. They don't do much with her, as you say, but the character designs are okay... and as for the guy, he's not the worst protagonist this season, certainly. He's very generic, but could be a lot worse... I've watched worse. That's very mild praise at best -- Campione is not a good show, and there isn't much positiver to say about it -- but it is true, it could be worse, and I was entertained at some moments of the episode. It was bad most of the time, certainly, though, and I doubt I'll keep watching for too much longer.

But it's still better than La storia della Arcana Famiglia.
No way.

And Angel Beats still sucks, not because of Key but because of itself.
And that's much much more wrong.

Oh, on an unrelated note, did you mention something slightly relating to the stuff I complain about here recently? I couldn't find the comment again, but I thought I remember something... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39167898&postcount=13818

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/shinsekaiyori/

From the New World is confirmed to be yet another A-1 Pictures anime airing in Fall 2012.

Brand new trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyfAvTotEgg
Looks kind of trashy. WTF at the website, that kind of has me more interested.
Kids with telekinesis fighting mole men?
And that's the thing. You're making me out to be some kind of guy insecure in his masculinity that's sending the progression on gender roles in society back several centuries. No, I just find most stuff aimed at women boring as shit. Shoujo and josei are generally very tropey, even moreso than shounen and seinen. I happen to not care about those tropes at all.
I apologize, your wording was just weird.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
more like, in the left pic they gave him hips

oh god you're right aaaaaaghdjghdgjh

Also thanks to the top pic, I can't unsee blonde guy as moe Gilgamesh now more than ever. Chillin' out with golden treasure in a room that looks like Tokiomi's basement? How about that.

Dog Days S2 1 - I already said this a few posts earlier, but yes, this was great! Dog Days is back, and better than ever. This episode was so happy, so cheerful, so uplifting and light, that I was certainly smiling. It was just... fun. Fun in animate form.

Now, that doesn't mean it was perfect. Some of the harem-antics elements, most notably when several girls glomped him, were kind of stupid. Also, of course both additional characters from Earth are female, so as to make his harem larger. Bah.

But apart from that, there was very little to complain about here. The characters are all back and as good as ever, and even if the larger harem thing is dumb, I do like the additional characters; it's great that these two get to come along too, this time, instead of being stuck at home the whole time while he has an adventure.

The other friend comes willingly, but one isn't given much of a choice...

Also, girls can be heroes too, now! Progress.

Also, in addition to introductions and a bit of harem antics, this episode also had a battle. It was one of the usual controlled battles, of course, and provided plenty of Dog Days-style fun. I'm looking forward to the next episode, it looks like the fight continues, except with all of the characters now.
Poor girls of Gaul's team, they lost already...

Hello there!

Oh, and yes, there's a third faction now, of squirrels and chipmunks I believe (I think it's both?). Sure, why not... that could make things amusing.
I do wonder how that chipmunk princess is going to make that girl her hero, though... she's got no fighting abilities, unlike the other two Earthlings.

Chipmunks can fight too, evenly with cats/lions and dogs? We'll see, I guess...

So yeah, this was good, quite good. So much fun, so much happiness. I hope it lasts... It's good to know that this season has two good shows, at least, between this and YuruYuri S2. :)

Yuru Yuri S2 2 - This episode was good, but I don't think it was quite as great as the first episode was. I didn't laugh at more of the jokes than I did laugh at, for instance... still, it did have its moments, such as the bit where
they're all given colors, Sentai-style, based on their hair colors... hah. So anime characters really do have silly hair colors like that. :)
That was silly. The comedy and idol jokes that came off from Akari's attempted nicknames were amusing too.

It was also good to see the student council girls again... I was hoping for a change of pace, that first skit with the main four wasn't so great (with them playing cards and such), and they appeared to keep things a bit more interesting. So yeah, overall, it was the worst of the two episodes of this season so far, but it was alright even so. Chitose found some, but it needs even more yuri. :)

As I said most of the skits in this episode didn't quite work for me, but this shot was amusing for sure.

What this shot doesn't show is that they're wearing all these layers and scarves with miniskirts that expose their legs. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. (Well, Kyouko isn't, but the rest are.)

As I said above, this bit was definitely silly. Here's the rest of the colors: http://www.abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2012-07-10-026zug2.png

Imouto 1 - This show is BAD. I mean, really bad. And it'd be very nearly as bad even without the central incest plot -- the rest of this show, and episode, were just dire, it wasn't just that element that was terrible.

First, the main character's extremely generic. Sure, he's actually kind of smart and is super wealthy, but he acts pretty much like your standard harem lead, right down the line.

Second, the first girl is irritatingly generic. She's super-cutesey and annoying in so many ways... ugh. I often find that perfect-waifu character type irritating, and she certainly is here. The second girl, the twintail (and almost certainly tsundere) is better, but most of the focus here was on the first girl. In a show this bad, though, that difference is relative.]

Of course, there are three more girls to go. Which one's the insane little sister, and which ones aren't? Best solution to that would be to just not bother watching, and read spoilers whenever it's revealed. Because I wouldn't recommend actually watching this thing to anyone, unless you want to watch some terrible harem-romance junk that's so insufferably annoying it's hard to sit through a single episode of.

(Oh, and as for the sister, I don't know who it is, and don't really care. Whoever she is, that classic "I can vouch that anyone writing incest plots does not have a real little sister" image would certainly apply. And she even knows it, she won't tell him who she is because she thinks he'll refuse to marry his sister, after all.
Also, the show suggests that she'd probably actually be a half-sister, but we don't know for sure. And that's still a very close relative.
)

And here are the reasons why some people will keep watching this show all the way to the end, I'm sure. No, I won't be one of them. NSFW! http://www.abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2012-07-10-01xwum1.png http://www.abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2012-07-10-01tkuxr.png

Articalys

Spring 2012 Preliminary First Volume Sales

*8,918 *2 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*8,896 *2 Hyouka [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29
*7,309 *1 AKB0048 [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*6,966 *2 Saki Achiga-hen Episode of Side-A [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/20
*4,698 *1 Natsu-iro Kiseki [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*4,494 *1 Tsuritama [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*4,138 *1 Eureka Seven AO [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*3,759 *1 Queen's Blade Rebellion [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*3,588 *1 Nazo no Kanojo X [DVD+BD]: 2012/07/04
*3,499 *1 Jormungand [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27