• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ghos moe > zombie moe!

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 8:
As the student who has left his master, he was able to understand that the unusual art style Shinbo developed is useful to convey surrealism but when used all the time without regard to it's motif, such as seen in Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari, it's just a gimmick.

That's sad because Bakemonogatari is a masterpiece.

Yay first post in anime gaf. Well anyway like the school days thread suggested I watched the anime and was told to report here. First off what the f*ck did I just watch? I'm not sure how am I supposed to react. Is the anime supposed to be good or what? If so what us so good about it.? It is indeed probably the mist sickest shit I've ever watched in my life but other than that is it a legitimately good anime?

Branduil

Spring 2012 Preliminary First Volume Sales

*8,918 *2 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*8,896 *2 Hyouka [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29
*7,309 *1 AKB0048 [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*6,966 *2 Saki Achiga-hen Episode of Side-A [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/20
*4,698 *1 Natsu-iro Kiseki [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*4,494 *1 Tsuritama [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*4,138 *1 Eureka Seven AO [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*3,759 *1 Queen's Blade Rebellion [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*3,588 *1 Nazo no Kanojo X [DVD+BD]: 2012/07/04
*3,499 *1 Jormungand [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*3,302 *2 Sengoku Collection [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*3,192 *2 Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Of The Dead [DVD+BD]: 2012/05/25
*2,520 *2 Acchi Kocchi [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*2,180 *1 Hiiro no Kakera [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*2,059 *1 Tasogare Otome x Amnesia [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*1,487 *1 Sankarea [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29
**,882 *1 Kimi to Boku. 2 [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
**,612 *1 Zetman [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22

Tsuritama's numbers seem a bit surprising, in a good way.

Is Kids on the Slope not out yet?

Branduil

Yay first post in anime gaf. Well anyway like the school days thread suggested I watched the anime and was told to report here. First off what the f*ck did I just watch? I'm not sure how am I supposed to react. Is the anime supposed to be good or what? If so what us so good about it.? It is indeed probably the mist sickest shit I've ever watched in my life but other than that is it a legitimately good anime?

Of course not.

Ghos moe > zombie moe!

I never watched Sankarea because I actually read a few chapters of the manga and decided to quit. But ghost moe has actually turned out quite good once they started developing Yuuko past desperately lonely horndog.

That's sad because Bakemonogatari is a masterpiece.

It's a completely banal harem story disguised by surrealist visuals which are utterly incoherent and pointlessly meandering dialogue which is supposed to sound sharp and witty. It's a masterpiece of misdirection and that's it. Well okay, the fanservice is enjoyable at least.

wonzo

Banned

today is a good day
unless you're Dusk Maiden :(

Joshiraku 1
Wz1kJ.png

I look forward to the uncensored BD version.
I love this show to bits already. Can't wait to watch moore! Dumb puns are my weakness.
YvEqQ.jpg

Man fuck language.

BluWacky

Looks kind of trashy. WTF at the website, that kind of has me more interested.
Kids with telekinesis fighting mole men?

Ratmen, really.
I am really excited about this show - I really rate Masashi Ishihama as an animation director so I am looking forward to seeing what he does as a series director, and the plot sounds pretty cool. I wasn't too sure about the character designs from the previous trailer, but I think that was because it was so heavily focused on the "school" stuff whereas we see more clips of other things happening here.

Bring on the autumn!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Nyaruko selling more than... Twelve of the other shows on that list is a travesty.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
GTO 2012

I wish zeroshiki could still come here, because I have to imagine that he's watching this show. I only just noticed it when I checked the wiki.

I'm saving it for later, but since it's apparently a reboot, I just had to see if "the scene" was in the show and yes, it is!

ILyWdl.jpg

Good old GTO.

(I should finish the animu one of these days)

Articalys

July 2-8 fulll anime BD/DVD sales

Blu-ray
*1, 4,896 **4,896 Inazuma Eleven Go: Kyuukyoku no Kizuna Gryphon Limited Edition
*2, 3,912 *47,218 Nisemonogatari vol.3 Limited Edition
*3, 3,021 **3,021 Amagami SS+ plus vol.4
*4, 2,921 **2,921 Nazo no Kanojo X vol.1 Limited Edition
*5, 1,633 *18,083 Persona 4 The Animation vol.8 Limited Edition
*6, 1,533 117,987 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.5
*7, 1,400 **1,400 Acchi Kocchi vol.2
*8, 1,343 *25,529 Kokurikozaka Kara Special Edition
*9, 1,264 **1,264 Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou vol.4 Limited Edition
10, 1,062 **7,780 Hyouka vol.1 Limited Edition

DVD
*1, 8,855 *,**8,855 Inazuma Eleven Go: Kyuukyoku no Kizuna Gryphon Limited Edition
*2, 4,585 *,*43,127 Kokurikozaka Kara Standard Edition
*3, 3,517 *,**3,517 Inazuma Eleven Go DVD Box vol.1 Limited Edition
*4, 2,547 *,*31,771 Kokurikozaka Kara Special Edition
*5, 2,270 *,**2,270 One Piece 14th Season vol.10
*6, 1,397 *,*61,333 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.5
*7, 1,240 *,**1,240 Inazuma Eleven Go: Kyuukyoku no Kizuna Gryphon Standard Edition
*8, 1,040 *,**9,128 Hakuouki Sekkaroku vol.6 Limited Edition
*9, 1,033 *,**1,033 Naruto: Shippuuden Senjyo no Paradise Life vol.5
10, *,998 1,142,724 My Neighbor Totoro
11, *,943 *,***,943 Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou vol.4 Limited Edition
12, *,940 *,*10,659 Gintama' vol.12
13, *,790 *,***,790 Amagami SS+ plus vol.4
14, *,752 *,***,752 Acchi Kocchi vol.2
15, *,724 *,**8,322 Nisemonogatari volo.3 Limited Edition
16, *,667 *,***,667 Nazo no Kanojo X vol.1 Limited Edition
17, *,634 *,**6,934 Persona 4 The Animation vol.8 Limited Edition
18, *,613 2,372,208 Spirited Away
19, *,537 *,**4,284 Inu x Boku SS vol.4 Limited Edition
20, *,478 *,***,478 Fairy Tail vol.30

Branduil

Ratmen, really.
I am really excited about this show - I really rate Masashi Ishihama as an animation director so I am looking forward to seeing what he does as a series director, and the plot sounds pretty cool. I wasn't too sure about the character designs from the previous trailer, but I think that was because it was so heavily focused on the "school" stuff whereas we see more clips of other things happening here.

Bring on the autumn!

Nakama! Ours will be the hype train which doesn't derail. I'm sure it will at least be better than Lupin.

Brazil

well to be fair, nyaruko is more anime per min than most anime.

That's not necessarily a good thing, though.

July 2-8 fulll anime BD/DVD sales

Blu-ray
*1, 4,896 **4,896 Inazuma Eleven Go: Kyuukyoku no Kizuna Gryphon Limited Edition

DVD
*1, 8,855 *,**8,855 Inazuma Eleven Go: Kyuukyoku no Kizuna Gryphon Limited Edition

These numbers are way better than I expected.

Uchip

Banned
GTO 2012

I wish zeroshiki could still come here, because I have to imagine that he's watching this show. I only just noticed it when I checked the wiki.

I'm saving it for later, but since it's apparently a reboot, I just had to see if "the scene" was in the show and yes, it is!

ILyWdl.jpg

Good old GTO.

(I should finish the animu one of these days)

First ive heard of this
how does it compare to the original

Branduil

Sorry, Magi train is the best hype train.

There's nothing impressive about betting on an adaptation of a manga you've already read by a competent studio. I don't think anyone here has read From the New World, so it being terrible is a genuine possibility.

duckroll

There's nothing impressive about betting on an adaptation of a manga you've already read by a competent studio. I don't think anyone here has read From the New World, so it being terrible is a genuine possibility.

Trains and rail networks are not built to be impressive when they don't derail. They're built for the purpose of stability and transportable!

Ratmen, really.

Bring on the autumn!
Have animation directors becoming series directors worked out well in the past?

mAcOdIn

Arcana Famiglia is better than all of the shows you listed there that I've watched any of.
What? No.

Also, if you want something you won't be able to sit through, what about the imouto show? It's atrociously bad, and still would be even without the incest element.
Why would I want to watch something so bad I can't finish it?
Being less bad than other stupid things might make the less bad one slightly more worth watching...
Only if it's the terrorist's law that I watch a bad anime would knowing which one is the least bad be helpful.
It doesn't help that you seem to have ignored everything I said and are just repeating yourself, even though I explained how some of the things you said were entirely wrong. I guess I'll have to say it again.
Ok, fine. I'm not really going any further than this.

Campione shit.
It's stupidly sexist because she's supposed to be a highly trained warrior/mage, and he's a nobody. If it was the other way around, sure, it'd be much less so. And "it's because the show is for guys"... that's an explanation, but not an excuse.
Well, you're the one assuming she's highly trained. For all we know she's a first year flunkie from the Witches Academy. Also she's 16, highly trained only goes so far at 16.

However the show's for guys is the explanation, excuse and whatever, in fact it doesn't need a damn excuse. It's not sexist for a man to save a woman. It's not sexist writing a story about a man saving a woman. The only reason that's considered sexist by so many is because there's not an equal amount of fiction where the woman is the hero that saves the man. If there were equal amounts of work with each gender being the hero no one would think it's sexist. So just merely having a story where a man saves a woman does not make it sexist. There's sexism and there's fucking sexism man. If everyone avoided writing any fiction where a man saves a woman that'd be sexist by exclusion and would portray an equally sexist portrayal of women. I think there should be a term for normal neutral sexism, that is because everything is sexist to some degree as dictated by nature or circumstance, and harmful or negative sexism. Having a man save a woman in a story is not harmful or negative sexism in my opinion.
Entirely agreed here, though. Are you taking back what you said in that first paragraph here?
No, I arrived at the opinion that Campione! is sexist for a different reason is all. I don't believe it is sexist because the boy saves the girl but it is sexist because of the way the girl is portrayed in every damn scene. So the show is sexist just not because it has a scene where a guy saves the day.

And you know, I really have to wonder, why do you still watch shit that you know you'll find sexist and rage about it. But not rage hard enough to just drop the damn show? I've said this before but it really does feel like you proclaiming sexism is merely a conditioned response you feel you're obligated to give because I can't see any other way you could be so vocally opposed to sexism and yet spend so much of your time watching show in a medium that is negative towards women well over 99% of the time.
The scenes just are, questioning their logic will get you nowhere, I think...
Watching them got me nowhere too!
Heh... um, she has decent character design, despite the silly blonde hair. They don't do much with her, as you say, but the character designs are okay... and as for the guy, he's not the worst protagonist this season, certainly. He's very generic, but could be a lot worse... I've watched worse. That's very mild praise at best -- Campione is not a good show, and there isn't much positiver to say about it -- but it is true, it could be worse, and I was entertained at some moments of the episode. It was bad most of the time, certainly, though, and I doubt I'll keep watching for too much longer.
So when you say you don't hate the characters you mean you don't hate they way they look? You're not talking about their actual characterization just the design? Isn't. That. Sexist? Should you not be judging everyone by their character and not by their appearance? And the blonde girl, they do tons with her, tons, just all of it bad.

There's only one way the girl can be redeemed. One. And that's that she's a fucking scheming power hungry witch who knew what power was in the Grimoire the second she saw it, had an idea of how things were going to go down and wants that power for herself without any of the possible negative side effects so figures she can manipulate this dude into getting the power for himself and just fool him into doing what she wants. Then her damsel in distress act makes sense. Then the kiss at the end makes sense. Then getting drunk for no reason makes sense. Riding on top of the car, I can't make that make sense.

Of course that's probably not what's going on.
Way. Arcane Famiglia had, like Campione, a terrible cast of characters but Arcane Famiglia has way more bad characters.
And that's much much more wrong.
No, Angel Beats is total ass.
Oh, on an unrelated note, did you mention something slightly relating to the stuff I complain about here recently? I couldn't find the comment again, but I thought I remember something... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39167898&postcount=13818
You were probably thinking of my comment regarding Hagure Yuusha no Estetica.
But there's lots that pisses me off about this show. Like, this show had more bras and panties in it in 5 minutes than all the shows I've watched this season and even though they were medieval era bras and panties they were expertly crafted by modern standards, you might say indistinguishable from what one would wear today. Grrr. Ah, but the main problem wasn't the quality of the bras and the panties mind you it was the stupid panty removing slight of hand that was the real issue, don't misunderstand me.
Anyways, no, it doesn't actually bother me that much. To me world consistency is good, for sure, but the main consistency I care about is character consistency. Do the characters act like people? If the characters act like they belong in that world and act like you'd expect each of them to act within their defined personalities than they can sell a world setting no matter how insane.

Firemind

I'm surprised some of you haven't watched Honey & Clover, GTO and Planetes. I consider them essentials. I'm disappointed in you, AnimeGAF.

Ginga e Kickoff 14

Okay, so my nitpick from the last couple of episodes still stands:

Also, I'm shocked that people actually care about sportsmanship in soccer because my understanding is that there's more diving in soccer than in the summer Olympics.
http://i.imgur.com/Js2V3l.jpg[/IM]
(This shot is actually pretty neat, given what happens at the end of the episode actually. It cues the audience for the self-reflective moment that the coach will have anyway).

The only thing that was really weird about the episode was coach's breakdown. I don't have a problem with it per se, but the way it was handled in the episode made it felt like a scene that came out of a jdrama. It was supposed to be an emotional catharsis, but it was so overplayed that it was almost a parody of itself.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vILKJl.jpg[/IG]

But hey, it's a sports show that's about more than sports, so I shouldn't complain too much.[/QUOTE]

I didnt much like watching old people sitting around talking about that, just let the kids have fun, really highly doubt the other characters were that emotionally broken from an own goal...

[quote="duckroll, post: 39707167"]From the official Magi twitter account: [url]http://twitvideo.jp/contents/img/07i8j[/url][/QUOTE]

Every image makes it so tempting to go and start browsing fan arts for them, but spoilers...

[quote="Articalys, post: 39707261"]So the year of revivals continues. Remember this Shonen Jump countdown site?

[url]http://shonenjump.com/j/countdown/[/url]

Apparently it's for a new Dragon Ball film coming March next year. Toriyama seems to be heavily involved.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YRjuc.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

More dragonball? Why not something truly original, like a Psyren adaptation or ST&RS.

Brazil

I'm surprised some of you haven't watched Honey & Clover, GTO and Planetes. I consider them essentials. I'm disappointed in you, AnimeGAF.

I haven't watched two of those, and I barely remember GTO :(

I have the Planetes DVD set, though.

Brazil

Ginga e Kickoff!! 10

Shots like the one above are so awesome. They show the audience talking for a minute or two with barely any animation... And then they throw 5 seconds of insanely fast passing and shooting. It's so good.

But will every match go like this? First half - they're crap. Second half - they're awesome! Haha.

lol

wonzo

Banned
LoGH 3

Wow, only three episodes in and I think I've found one of the smarmiest, most unlikeable pieces of shit I've come across in recent memory and the second season of GoT only finished airing a couple of weeks ago! It's interesting that the movie incorporated some of the scenes from this and I'm guessing the next episode and managed to weave them in rather effortlessly.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
LoGH 3

Wow, only three episodes in and I think I've found one of the smarmiest, most unlikeable pieces of shit I've come across in recent memory and the second season of GoT only finished airing a couple of weeks ago! It's interesting that the movie incorporated some of the scenes from this and I'm guessing the next episode and managed to weave them in rather effortlessly.
If you aren't in the mood to watch it I wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom