• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naruto SD 15
tumblr_m6y14aPHPj1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Pool portion was really funny at times. Konohamatu still with his scarf at the pool was kind of nice, and Naruto's trunks. A make out pool tactics was a hilarious thought as was all the stuff with Kabuto and Lord Orochimaru sama. One of the better episodes on account of all the pieces in place that I like in this spin off series. First time Ive ever felt compelled to see it at the 6 or so am hour when crunchyroll puts it up.

Would have imagined Naruto was a Playstation fan...though I guess that Naruto SD 3DS game is coming up.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ginga e Kickoff!! 11

Fuck this guy. I guess this is where the kids-oriented nature of this show becomes apparent. There was absolutely nothing wrong with those two plays by the Furuyas... But I guess they've got to teach values and all that. Meh.

And, about the other guy...
The Furuya father, huh?
Mind blown.

Brazil

Ginga e Kickoff!! 12

Haters can keep on hatin'.

Reika's mother surprised me.
I thought for sure that she was going to be a huge bitch... But she was just ignorant. And I'm really glad that this arc of character development didn't drag for more than one episode.

Bwahahahaha. Reika's missile mode is amazing.

First few mins of School Days HQ

sd.png

holy shit, did not expect this game to be mostly animated (even has traditional media playback tools and 'space' pauses the game). It's even more surprising that the anime doesn't seem to use any of the footage from the VN. The opening seems to be pretty similar to the anime but with a bunch more internal monologue from Makoto. I do wonder if the 'probably longer' game will develop Makoto more into a character, or at the very least teach us mortals the secret to
sexing everyone

Jex

I'm surprised some of you haven't watched Honey & Clover, GTO and Planetes. I consider them essentials. I'm disappointed in you, AnimeGAF.

There are people in here who haven't even watched all the Studio Ghibli catalogue yet.

Well, I suppose no-one has to watch The Cat Returns or Tales from Earthsea but the rest of the Ghibli catalogue (+Castle of Cagliostro) is fairly essential viewing.

sonicmj1

I felt the same way about Haibane Renmei as darkside and qcf though. Namely, "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz." That was then and this is now, so maybe I'd like it better if I rewatched it with more experience and cynicism wrt animu under my belt.

I guess the main fault of the first episode was that it could be rather boring at times. It felt like there were a lot of shots of the five girls standing in a semicircle smiling at something. That's why I said I wasn't sure how I felt about it. At the moment, there's enough strength that I'm optimistic, but my optimism has already failed me plenty of times.

It'd better work out. I can't walk away this time. People are counting on me.

Backlog season rolls onwards!

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 1

My previous experience with Shaft has been a mixed bag. Madoka was pretty enjoyable, but Bakemonogatari was like some terrible relationship that I didn't know how to walk away from. I thought I'd sample some of the best from their catalogue and see how I feel.

I feel pretty good. The OP sets the tone well. It may be about a maid cafe, but its offbeat tone and humor make it stand out. Arashiyama and Toshino have a great dynamic, even if the latter's internal monologue is a little too insistent. There are some punch lines, especially in the B-side of the episode, that were great.

The art is pretty basic (Sunrise Cafe's shop windows are alarmingly opaque), but they make up for it with some lively directing. Despite being largely set in a half-empty, poorly lit cafe, it sparkles with energy. I don't know how they'd be able to manage most of these scenes in an interesting way without that relentless Shaftiness.

s45Fy.jpg

Background CG means you can do all the silly zoom-outs you want!

Glorious Omigawa overlords.

What the hell is up with all the poko stuff?

As long as they keep doing what they're doing, this will be a real delight.

Jex

Spring 2012 Preliminary First Volume Sales

*8,918 *2 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*8,896 *2 Hyouka [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29
*7,309 *1 AKB0048 [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*6,966 *2 Saki Achiga-hen Episode of Side-A [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/20
*4,698 *1 Natsu-iro Kiseki [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*4,494 *1 Tsuritama [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*4,138 *1 Eureka Seven AO [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*3,759 *1 Queen's Blade Rebellion [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*3,588 *1 Nazo no Kanojo X [DVD+BD]: 2012/07/04
*3,499 *1 Jormungand [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*3,302 *2 Sengoku Collection [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*3,192 *2 Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Of The Dead [DVD+BD]: 2012/05/25
*2,520 *2 Acchi Kocchi [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*2,180 *1 Hiiro no Kakera [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*2,059 *1 Tasogare Otome x Amnesia [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*1,487 *1 Sankarea [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29
**,882 *1 Kimi to Boku. 2 [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
**,612 *1 Zetman [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
Those sales aren't awful, well, apart from Dusk Maiden which really deserves better.

wonzo

Banned
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 1

What the hell is up with all the poko stuff?

As long as they keep doing what they're doing, this will be a real delight.
soredemo4.jpg

shaft being shaft.

Anyway, you're definitely gonna enjoy the hell outta this show my fellow Omigawabro!

duckroll

All of their past show was turrible, and I can't ignore the fact they have one of the worst animation quality in the industry, plus terrible boss with faux style in Oonuma Shin.

Doga Kobo had a whole string of terrible wretched shows too when they first tried coming out of just being an outsource studio. It's not easy! Now they have Natsuyuki, which is pretty solid. Maybe some day Silver Link will have an opportunity like that!
Hahahahahahahahahaha no. LOLOLOL!

/XX/

Sony despite money issues, is still mindblowingly huge. They never really did anything animation wise, but now via Aniplex there all in. Same will happen in the states if they get one Theatrical hit animation wise.
Why trust Funi? Sony's mistake is that you have a fucking HOLLYWOOD studio, with actors under them payrolls, WTF why give FUNI even a fucking glance? They fuck YALL shit up when you got the fucking master fucking tapes and a HOLLYWOOD studio. Wake the fuck up SONY.
I laugh at Apple Fanboys sometimes. Yes it bigger than God. But Apple dont got a movie studio, 3 animated studios, owners of vevo (which i dislike) all of the master tape tech, a soccer team, 15 video game studios (18 but they close down three) there own bank, insurance, all of the Gracenote lists...do i need to go on.
That is the strenght of some of their individually operated business but the weakness of the Sony Group as a whole. The case of Sony Music Entertainment (Japan), Inc. (SMEJ) is one of a totally independent and unrelated company to the Sony Corporation of America subsidiaries (Sony Music Entertainment & Sony Pictures Entertainment) you also mention. This excludes the upper management supervision, direct responsibility now of Mr. Hirai.

After the privatization of SMEJ (as well as the transfer of the partly theirs shared up until that moment Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. to Sony Corporation as a wholly owned subsidiary) and the "unified dispersed" initiative, the company operates with such an autonomy that only cooperation in specific tasks is their link with other businesses of the Sony Group. This healthy situation for them on the market we discuss in here is only their own merit, and I don't think this reflects on everything the other divisions of the corporation as a whole pursue.

It also comes in two flavors: 4:3 and a version shot in Cinemascope. I'd appreciate clarification as to which came first as I read different stuff while looking it up. Some sources say the Cinemascope version came first while others say it's the 4:3 version that was reshot in 1978 but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me given some of the pans used in the 4:3 version. Then again, the sliding backgrounds in the 4:3 version had this jitter to them that wasn't present in the Cinemascope version so that had me wondering if it was fixed later hence my confusion.
I'd say, based on the information I remember checking, that the 'CinemaScope version' was made in 1969 as Mr. Osumi & Mr. Sugii were working towards a project for theatrical release, and later on 1971 was remade on the 'TV version' for it to be seen by the general public as the '1st Series' was airing.

Brazil

Ginga e Kickoff!! 13

Tagi and Aoto seem like pretty cool kids.

WHAT THE FUCK

So he'll teach the Furuyas how to be "gentlemen" by CHEATING?!
What a freaking insect. Thank God sweet justice was delivered in the end.

survivor

Banned
Utakoi 1

My favourite new anime of the season. Really loved the first episode. The art style was really appropriate for the series and those thick lines didn't bother me at all. Only problem I had was the ED, just what were they thinking with that song?

wonzo

Banned
Utakoi 1

My favourite new anime of the season. Really loved the first episode. The art style was really appropriate for the series and those thick lines didn't bother me at all. Only problem I had was the ED, just what were they thinking with that song?
that it owned?

Brazil

Ginga e Kickoff!! 14

Bwahahahaha.

This episode was pretty interesting. References to the amazing Cruyff team - one of the best in history, without any doubt - are always welcome in my book. And
so the kid who Hanashima pushed too hard got blind after that accident... Ugh.
That entire sequence was pretty intense.

Hanashima's awesome.

Narag

I'd say, based on the information I remember checking, that the 'CinemaScope version' was made in 1969 as Mr. Osumi & Mr. Sugii were working towards a project for theatrical release, and later on 1971 was remade on the 'TV version' for it to be seen by the general public as the '1st Series' was airing.

Thank you.

Ginga e Kickoff!! 14

Bwahahahaha.

This episode was pretty interesting. References to the amazing Cruyff team - one of the best in history, without any doubt - are always welcome in my book. And
so the kid who Hanashima pushed too hard got blind after that accident... Ugh.
That entire sequence was pretty intense.

Hanashima's awesome.

lol I always felt the hobo looks and sounds very much like that bleach filler captain amagai (don't think they are the same VA though). Weird stuf.

Brazil

lol I always felt the hobo looks and sounds very much like that bleach filler captain amagai (don't think they are the same VA though). Weird stuf.

Haha, you're right. I looked it up, and apparently Hanashima's VA was Starrk's voice in Bleach.

So there's that :p

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
First few mins of School Days HQ

sd.png

holy shit, did not expect this game to be mostly animated (even has traditional media playback tools and 'space' pauses the game). It's even more surprising that the anime doesn't seem to use any of the footage from the VN. The opening seems to be pretty similar to the anime but with a bunch more internal monologue from Makoto. I do wonder if the 'probably longer' game will develop Makoto more into a character, or at the very least teach us mortals the secret to
sexing everyone

Hahaha I highly doubt that. And the secret
to sexing everyone is to be an aloof douchebag.

survivor

Banned
Yep, the Utakoi OP is definitely amazing, it's up there with Binbougami's OP. Just listened to it 10 times and it's still good. Can't wait until August for the full version to be released.

qcf x2

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 01 - 04 - This show is special. The direction, the pacing, the...the music! The way they use but don't milk moments. And (so far) they're not telling me what the characters are thinking, so I get to use my brain a little! May be the best initial 4 episodes of a long-ish series I've seen. If I didn't have work and life I would finish this in a week.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mor's face is looking a bit boney there. Also the eyes are much smaller relative to the face, which is counterproductive to moe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom