• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually had to wear one after an infection three of four years ago and visited an eye clinic every day for more than a week during that time. I've seen a lot of eyepatches. But they looked nothing like those. They were either actual oval band-aids (adhesive, no strings), or more like pirate eyepatches, except with one string on one side and two strings on the other (Y shaped, strings join behind the ear). I guess it depends on the country or something.
I think they use the ones they do in anime because it emphasizes the damaged/useless element more... you know, looks more medical, etc. Though you do see other kinds once in a while, and in effect they're the same thing, those 'medical' ones are the most common type.

The least common type, for anime girls, is a full-blown fake eye. One reason is that eyepatches are actually often covering a functioning eye as often as not (you know, covering the superpowered eye for whatever stupid reason, or rather, for the "looks damaged" reason I stated above), of course. The other reason would be that fake eyes look a whole lot less damaged... I mean, the viewer might even forget one of the eyes isn't real! See: Erza in Fairy Tail, who has a fake eye. How often do you even remember one of her eyes was lost, apart from the part where you see her in a flashback with an eyepatch?

Doesn't the headset in .hack also do this? Didn't that also kill people? I dunno if it was ever explained in //sign because I dropped it and assumed the MC was trapped in the game because they were so boring and uninteresting their brain just gave up and forced the MC into some sort of coma. Which I feared my brain would do if I kept watching //sign.
No, the helmets in .hack do not kill people. They put people into comas, and they may get stuck in the game world. I don't remember anyone actually dying, however. I don't think they do. In addition, they're stuck in the world even without the helmet on, so it is NOT like Sword Art Online; it's a more mystical explanation, I guess.
Like, Tsukasa in Sign is stuck in the game, but in reality is in a coma in a hospital, and is not wearing one of those headsets.
I mean, Sword Art Online's version, where they are still in the headset, makes me think that there'd be, in reality, a way to get those people out of there (from the outside, I mean). .hack, though? You basically have to do it from within the game.

As for why they're put into comas, the people doing it vary from series to series, but it's generally nefarious types in the company that makes the game.

Also, Sign's slow pace is great... the story, characters, music, etc. are all fantastic, I couldn't care less if the pacing is slow and it has very little action. It's one of my favorite animes from its era. Sword Art Online? Yeah, I think it's fairly obvious that it's nowhere remotely near that level.

survivor

Banned
Utakoi 2

Well I'm glad this episode was only spent on a single poem and it was even connected to the previous one. Now I'm curious if the other poets were also related somehow so maybe we will get more stories connected to each other.

Such a tsundere emperor we got in this episode. He should be lucky to get an awesome wife like Yasuko

Soma

What are you guys K-ontemplating about?

K-onsidering we've gone through all these K-on puns here, how about we just K-oncede defeat now and stop.

K-on K-ountdown K-oncentration?

I really K-an't stand these puns.

The suspense is breaking my K-oncentration.

The K-ountdown begins!!

WC05c.gif

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
What are you guys K-ontemplating about?

K-onsidering we've gone through all these K-on puns here, how about we just K-oncede defeat now and stop.

I really K-an't stand these puns.

K-on K-ountdown K-oncentration?

The suspense is breaking my K-oncentration.

The K-ountdown begins!!

2023335_o.gif

PGSM - 27

Pretty much my reaction towards
Luna's new ability.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you don't consider body swapping and some amusing humor to be a hook, then I don't know what to say. It was a great first episode!

Well I already knew of the body swapping which isn't exactly a fresh idea to begin with and when you combine that with a school setting which isn't fresh either I was expecting episode one to show me the USP that would convince me to watch which is the usual job of the first episode.

Well I already knew of the body swapping which isn't exactly a fresh idea to begin with and when you combine that with a school setting which isn't fresh either I was expecting episode one to show me the USP that would convince me to watch which is the usual job of the first episode.
USP? What do you mean by that?

But anyway, no, while the concept has existed, bodyswapping as a central concept isn't too common in anime, in fact... I can't think of any with a similar focus. And yes, I certainly would consider it plenty good as a concept, myself! Just based on ep. 1, it's one of my favorite shows of the season for sure.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
GTO 2012

So after watching it, it seems like they are redoing the anime/manga stories, but just playing with the order a bit since... well, it's a remake of an adaptation of an adaptation, so it's on them not to do the same thing (even though they are) again.

The first episode covers what amounts to the first arc of the anime, although the order is switched in that
the anime starts with him as a student teacher, while this version of GTO ends with him being recruited to be a student teacher. But, the same broken home/fake seduction story line is there.

I don't remember the original having so many Gintama-isms... but hey, maybe that's where they all come from:

CYJM7l.jpg

gaIRHl.jpg

7ctfBl.jpg

Ufushl.jpg

I'm definitely going to finish this up and I'm probably bumping the anime back to the top of my backlog. It's something I should have finished... well, 15 years ago and now I have a reason to go back to it.

Oh, and I wonder if this was in the can for a long time because this was just an unintentionally funny product placement moment:
SmalCl.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
USP? What do you mean by that?

Well personally Kokoro didn't grab me. I'll abide by the three episode rule and see whether it picks up. Can't really explain it, the episode just didn't feel compelling.

Tari Tari 1 & 2

WYYmW.gif

Now this show I enjoyed surprisingly. I jokingly shrugged it off as another K-On, but 1. They actually do perform 2. it's a choir which I can relate to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom