• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Especially those completely uncool white eyepatches that look like band-aids with two strings. I've never even seen such eyepatches in real life.

Well, if your only familiarity with eyepatches is the black one-string pirate ones, then sure, but the white ones are pretty common for medical cases.

wsippel

Banned
Well, if your only familiarity with eyepatches is the black one-string pirate ones, then sure, but the white ones are pretty common for medical cases.
I actually had to wear one after an infection three of four years ago and visited an eye clinic every day for more than a week during that time. I've seen a lot of eyepatches. But they looked nothing like those. They were either actual oval band-aids (adhesive, no strings), or more like pirate eyepatches, except with one string on one side and two strings on the other (Y shaped, strings join behind the ear). I guess it depends on the country or something.

Joule

wDx8N.jpg

Frightening way to start off the episode. Poor Haru. No one should have to wake up from that.
So with a new arc comes new developments and characters. Chiyu becoming the very desirable healer isn't too surprising even though it seems more like she should be bashing things up rather than fixing them. Fancy looking healing skill though. I guess with Brain Burst being more of a online fighting game than an mmorpg it makes more sense that healers are rare.

Most of the episode was pretty much just set up with Chiyu's Brain Bursting initiation, her desire for the trio of friends to have fun again (dat cushion world) and the new character who made Taku look free in kendo. Snow Black leaves the gang to fend for themselves while she takes a school trip.

1. They really have these cg interface parts of the show down pat. I felt they looked good before but the way the bar depleted in this scene seemed better than usual.
2. I'm kind of a fan of when animators use tracer-like line motion to depict slicing movement or the like when its a really smooth sequence but here it just looked really tacky.

1. The more I see these sorts of scenes, the more bothered I get by how pointless and cost cutting they are. There literally nothing going on except for the minimal opening and closing of boxes that are supposed to be their mouths.
2. Sometimes these static crowd shots are really weird when the cut lasts too long. That girl with the tilted head must be thinking some deep thoughts.

On a different note there were a trio of new bgm. Always a plus in my book. The one at the cushion scene felt like kind of like a bms song though I'm not sure if I'd attribute it to onoken. While the part with Chiyu's initial entry into the Accelerated world is definitely some onoken stuff. The following track is some mint jam goodness.

Finally,

Branduil

I'm sure everyone who was fat or unattractive in middle school can remember back to the day when an attractive girl propositioned them because they were good at video games.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yes, except in my case it happened after we both graduated and she stumbled onto my GChat status.

The status was about Dragon Age, of all things.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm sure everyone who was fat or unattractive in middle school can remember back to the day when an attractive girl propositioned them because they were good at video games.

Yeah, those were good times. Preppy girls lined up one after another begging me to free them from the oppressive, smothering confines of social acceptance. As I unzipped my cargo shorts, I told them that to experience the disappointment of others, they must first experience something far exceeding their expectations.

This actually happened to me, but it turned out she used to be super fat too. Her nerd tendencies didn't dilute with the weight loss.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Guys, guys, you're just going to invite more of those ads with the cartoony headless fat people that have been plastering GAF lately :(

Lain

Because then he's gonna start drawing HSotD/K-ON! fanart.

I don't see the problem with that. Then again, maybe the latest Saeko Busujima fanart drawn by Maidoll I saw has my judgment clouded.

---

Got the Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail BRD today with all the episodes and can't wait to watch it. I hope my expectation for explosions, action and blood won't be disappointed.

Kokoro Connect 1

I don't know what I'm meant to take away from this. Nothing much happened except what the blurb told us would happen. Literally no hook apart from the token dominant lesbian character.
If you don't consider body swapping and some amusing humor to be a hook, then I don't know what to say. It was a great first episode!

well, girls with eyepatches are the exact opposite of helpless girls.

Infinite Stratos, Strike Witches, Jormungand, Another, Upotte...

The eyepatches are there to balance them out a bit... those characters are competent, so by giving them an eyepatch they at least get some damaged-moe cred. Otherwise they wouldn't be moe at all, right? I mean, competency isn't cute of course.

(Ugh, Japan...)

Damaged moe aside, if we were just straight up talking how useless the girl is, Sakura from Naruto would be god-tier.
Yeah, Sakura with an eyepatch might be going a bit overboard on the uselessness scale...

Eye patches are awesome, girls are awesome, combine the two you get...?
Eye patches in anime aren't awesome.

They are right, that is what they say.

Okay, so eyepatches are indicative of useless shows, not useless characters, then.
Can't really argue with that.

Ultimadrago

Sword Art Online 1

A helmet that
intercepts anything I tell my real body to do
?

"What's the worst that could happen?"

I laughed at the idea of some of the NerveGear's features. They were really stupid. I'm almost surprised that some of the players didn't laugh. The main character made a fist about four times in the episode, so he's determined and shit.

I had an okay time with it. The premise is extremely silly in my eyes, but I don't think it could have ever presented itself in a fashion that would make me take it with a straight face. That means it'll all be execution from here on out. I'll probably watch it non-regularly until I find a reason to drop.

Additional notes: Klein is a scrub that is begging to
perish

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm glad to finally know that I'm not the only one who could only think of Seto Kaiba when Kayaba was mentioned, given that they were both responsible for VR worlds gone horribly wrong.

Firemind

There are people in here who haven't even watched all the Studio Ghibli catalogue yet.

Well, I suppose no-one has to watch The Cat Returns or Tales from Earthsea but the rest of the Ghibli catalogue (+Castle of Cagliostro) is fairly essential viewing.

Do we have an essential list by Gaffers that's possibly lying somewhere in the dark corners of AnimeGAF Past?

the cat returns is an awesome feature film wanna fight about it

Reknoc

Sword Art Online 1

A helmet that
intercepts anything I tell my real body to do
?

"What's the worst that could happen?"

Doesn't the headset in .hack also do this? Didn't that also kill people? I dunno if it was ever explained in //sign because I dropped it and assumed the MC was trapped in the game because they were so boring and uninteresting their brain just gave up and forced the MC into some sort of coma. Which I feared my brain would do if I kept watching //sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom