• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Also, Sign's slow pace is great... the story, characters, music, etc. are all fantastic, I couldn't care less if the pacing is slow and it has very little action.

I really like .hack//sign for the same reasons. I adored the slower pace and the lack of action made stuff the rare bit feel more meaningful. It didn't hurt that the various characters reminded me of folk from my own early online experiences either.

Body swapping? Time to give this a shot!
You didn't read the descriptions of this season's shows? Yes, bodyswapping is the series' central focus. The art looks fairly much like K-On (same character designer or something), but the show's entirely different. It's about bodyswapping, it has male characters as well as female, and it has some slightly risque jokes, too.

Well personally Kokoro didn't grab me. I'll abide by the three episode rule and see whether it picks up. Can't really explain it, the episode just didn't feel compelling.
You must not like gender/bodyswapping stuff them, I guess. Because seriously, you said that there is no hook, which is false. There is a hook, bodyswapping. You apparently just don't care much for it.

I really like .hack//sign for the same reasons. I adored the slower pace and the lack of action made stuff the rare bit feel more meaningful. It didn't hurt that the various characters reminded me of folk from my own early online experiences either.
In my opinion, Sign is by far the best thing to ever come out of the .hack franchise. It's just an incredible series, really is one of my favorites. The rest of the franchise... is of much more mixed quality. Liminality and Quantum are the best of the rest, but even those don't quite match Sign. Compared to other .hack things, in my opinion Sign has the best writing, the best, most unique, and most interesting characters, and the most interesting story. The only thing it doesn't have is action, but it doesn't really need it. (If you want both story and action, though, try Quantum. It has both, both done fairly well.)

Narag

You didn't read the descriptions of this season's shows? Yes, bodyswapping is the series' central focus. The art looks fairly much like K-On (same character designer or something), but the show's entirely different. It's about bodyswapping, it has male characters as well as female, and it has some slightly risque jokes, too.

I just look for robots or ninjas in the images! I'm reliant on others for details!

In my opinion, Sign is by far the best thing to ever come out of the .hack franchise. It's just an incredible series, really is one of my favorites. The rest of the franchise... is of much more mixed quality. Liminality and Quantum are the best of the rest, but even those don't quite match Sign.
I'd like to watch the rest of the shows, I think. Infinite backlog and all that. I'll probably rewatch sign first if I do though.

El Sloth

Banned
Kaiba: 6-12

I didn't expect this show to turn out so depressing. I thought the way the overarching plot was resolved was more than a little lacking. It was also pretty nonsensical at times and I'll probably need to watch the whole thing again to fully grasp it. And it wasn't nearly as interesting as the smaller stories introduced prior. At least it was all pretty to look at.

Episodes 3-5 were definitely the best in the show, when it was about the little self contained stories that were resolved at the end of every episode. 3 was my favorite (and it was also the most depressing).

I ended up sympathizing with the Vanilla character a lot more than I thought I would. Poor guy :(

In the end I still like the show as a whole despite what I perceive to be it's flaws. I'm a sucker for love stories. Especially with a sci-fi element.

I just look for robots or ninjas in the images! I'm reliant on others for details!
Ah.

I'd like to watch the rest of the shows, I think. Infinite backlog and all that. I'll probably rewatch sign first if I do though.
The only problem with starting with Sign is that it's all downhill from there... and the second anime, Legend of the Twilight, is the worst of them by far, too. It's brainless, generic action-focused anime about mr. generic kid saving The World, etc.

...?!

*adds to list*
Yes, do try it.

Branduil

You folks do realise that certain people from off-topic were culled because of their overuse of puns, right? It's no laughing matter.

From what I've fathomed that's mainly because they went overboard with them in serious threads. But I agree with the cut off your jib, toeing the line with puns will eventually sink your account, so I will change tack now. Getting keelhauled would really take the wind out of my sails.

Mature

Doesn't the headset in .hack also do this? Didn't that also kill people? I dunno if it was ever explained in //sign because I dropped it and assumed the MC was trapped in the game because they were so boring and uninteresting their brain just gave up and forced the MC into some sort of coma. Which I feared my brain would do if I kept watching //sign.
I'm not a huge fan of the anime series surrounding .hack, but I finished and enjoyed all of the games. .hack does it better than SAO because it doesn't try to convince you with really silly techno-babble. It sort of conditions you initially by implying supernatural happenings do exist in it's universe.

Speaking of SAO and .hack similarities, I couldn't help but notice that(.hack//G.U spoilers)
The beginnings of .hack//G.U Reminisce (the second game in the second series) and SAO were really identical. Everyone who logs in finds out that they're trapped in the game world. An evil game master type guy screws with people. If you die in-game, you die in real life. It's almost uncanny. However, in .hack people's first response was to go on player killing rampages. Dicks.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You folks do realise that certain people from off-topic were culled because of their overuse of puns, right? It's no laughing matter.

Those insensitive sons of beaches were banned for mocking the dead, so if you're not making a mod crabby, there's no claws for alarm

You can still write off 95% of their catalogue!

Hey, man, two or three good anime is better than the output of some studios!
don't press me for examples on this

Reknoc

I'm not a huge fan of the anime series surrounding .hack, but I finished and enjoyed all of the games. .hack does it better than SAO because it doesn't try to convince you with really silly techno-babble. It sort of conditions you initially by implying supernatural happenings do exist in it's universe.

Speaking of SAO and .hack similarities, I couldn't help but notice that(.hack//G.U spoilers)
The beginnings of .hack//G.U Reminisce (the second game in the second series) and SAO were really identical. Everyone who logs in finds out that they're trapped in the game world. An evil game master type guy screws with people. If you die in-game, you die in real life. It's almost uncanny. However, in .hack people's first response was to go on player killing rampages. Dicks.

So like, magic? I'm not sure if I prefer that to really dumb technobabble that doesn't really make sense.

Could never get into the games. Didn't hate the first one but had no desire to complete it since I got it quite late and by that time the other parts were either completely gone or way too expensive. Then G.U never came over here so I stopped caring completely.

Narag

Kokoro Connect 1

Awesome.

Today I learned pro wrestling posters can liven up any background.
1GirJl.jpg

So like, magic? I'm not sure if I prefer that to really dumb technobabble that doesn't really make sense.

Could never get into the games. Didn't hate the first one but had no desire to complete it since I got it quite late and by that time the other parts were either completely gone or way too expensive. Then G.U never came over here so I stopped caring completely.

None of the games are worth caring about unless you really like extremely repetitive button-mashing action-RPGs.

Yeah, I think it works better as a semi-mystical thing. As I said, SAO shows how completely implausible it is when they actually try to "explain" it.

.hack has something like that, really? Figures it'd be in one of the games, which have weaker stories than even the worse animes, I think... though the repetitious gameplay's the even bigger problem. At least the first quadrilogy came with Liminality volumes to keep you interested, but the second series there doesn't have anything except for supposedly "improved" gameplay.

shahkur

I didnt know we talked about J-dramas in here.

Yeah, I watched the new GTO first ep. Quite good, reminds me of Gokusen with the whole hype/motivational speech and the students being in problematic situations.

I liked Akira's acting too as I feel he did a good job on the role as it is his first lead role, but I'm kinda biased towards him/EXILE (His group) anyway.

Looking forward to the next eps.

Joule

Yuruyuri s2 2:
R0bYb.jpg
vmkAD.jpg

Kyouko knows what's up. All those head to head cabs, drool. And cute scarves!
Another fun episode. Not as great as the first but still amusing. The second segment with the snake/bug catching was the most fun. The snake itself really pulled its weight there. Akari's troll face during Old Maid and Kyouko's stunned look are so good.

Kokoro Connect 1:

I'm liking how some of these water colour backgrounds look particularly these two opening shots in the OP. However when it comes to having characters on screen as well, some shots are little more spotty.

0jaa6.jpg

This shot for example I feel like there is a certain active dissonance between the characters and the background. The water colour effect is feels very shoddy here. Most of the other parts of the scene that featured this room seem fine but this particular angle just looks bad to me.

Going into the content of the show, it's not bad though most of my entertainment has been through Iori (dat Toyosaki) being outgoing and a little crude (though it looks like she has a not quite so cheery time at home). The other characters weren't bad but far more amusing in conjunction with Iori. I like Inaba though (dat Sawashiro). It's another bunch of misfits in a club sort of but I can enjoy that sort of thing. I don't feel like the body swapping thing has added too much yet honestly. The whole fondling yuri thing was amusing enough but I wouldn't really call that a good hook to the show yet. Will have to see if this actually becomes something that adds to the show rather than detract upon it. WWF wrestlers on the walls do tickle my fancy though.

The opening sequence was pretty cool though. The way each person woke up in the morning and the transitions between (yet another onii-chan wake up moment too) were done fairly well. I also liked how they transitioned from there to their walk to school then into the OP (the song is quite nice I think from Eufonius, a little catchy). The ED was apparently by Team Nekokan, the same people that did Airman Ga Taosenai. It's kinda cool to see some of those doujin artists making it into anime stuff more and more. The song isn't bad either.

tz5hQ.jpg
8d2Gm.jpg

These chalkboard segments from the OP were quite cute. The K-On-like designs aren't bad to look at.

Ever since Accel World toilets, it's gotten a little bit fun to see how consistent things are from one cut to the next in different angles.
abZ7R.jpg
VxP8Q.jpg

This chair this chair this chair isn't in the right place!

Lastly,
2WI0Z.jpg
znJX7.jpg

I'm half expecting a few of those harem shows to feature quite a few breasts jokes as well.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kokoro Connect 1

I don't know what I'm meant to take away from this. Nothing much happened except what the blurb told us would happen. Literally no hook apart from the token dominant lesbian character.

oh_hai.gif

*adds to list*

/XX/

I've never seen the angels from Evangelion looking so adorable. Great find!
A little bit of background for those interested; that video posted is a special intro for the NTV's Friday Road SHOW! emission of Evangelion: 1.0 on its 'TV edition', made to replicate with characters from the movie the usual program intro, that in itself is a work from Studio Ghibli (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=156G1ojBRdE).

This program block at its end also gives occasionally some sneak peeks for related works, like the one for Evangelion: 3.0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VabWGvh4avk) after the emission of Evangelion: 2.0 'TV edition', or the little teaser for the unfinished Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW7i6fj_ZJw) after a recent emission on that very same program of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

I'd like to see the folks at the official 'Football Thread' of this forums using that as 'auto-censure'.

You can still write off 95% of their catalogue!
Please, don't talk like that about a moribund... it is their 20th anniversary and they haven't planned to do a new show to commemorate it this time, that means they are more closer to death than ever!

Narag

Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch - Kiseki no Birthday Picture Drama

I was sort of tenative watching this at first due to it being a picture drama. It's mostly zooms and pans over static images of varying quality with the occasional special effect thrown in. The story isn't anything special: A remnant of Neo-China takes over Ashford Academy during some festival planning so school hijinx gives way to drama. It was nice to see something I haven't with the characters though and it used the TV series' score to great effect. It was fun, silly, had some audience involvement, but that ending was a god damn kick in the balls. I'm going to be mad all night now.

Trust her, she's an expert.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
*adds to list*
Is this really all it takes to trick people? Kokoro Connect is a terrible show. The way everyone acts is extremely unnatural, and everything is pretty much a bore consequentially. There isn't really anything redeeming about it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is this really all it takes to trick people? Kokoro Connect is a terrible show. The way everyone acts is extremely unnatural, and everything is pretty much a bore consequentially. There isn't really anything redeeming about it.

I wasn't even intending to trick people. That screenshot in Joule's post is literally all there is to that scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom