• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Even though I've played the STEINS;GATE visual novel, the first thing I think of when I hear about time dilation is Aim for the Top! Gunbuster. It really is a central part of it!

That's what everyone's first thought should be! It's just further proof that you're a good human being.

Jex

alright so I just ordered Redline, The Gungrave Series, Sword of the Stranger, and Samurai Champloo (was recommended to me elsewhere) so we will see how this goes once Amazon delivers them to me. Watched an AMV for Redline and I have to admit the Visuals seem pretty fantastic.

I wasn't around when you put in your request for anime titles to watch, but I am glad to see you've ordered a nice selection. Have fun!

Jex

I’m still getting through my book on Miyazaki, albeit extremely slowly, so I’ve only just arrived at another interesting section. I’ll post an extract here. This time Miyzaki goes into detail of what it was like to work as a finish inspector on Heidi:
Animation is created by an incredibly large number of people. It is actually completed by all of the people working together and carrying out their assigned jobs.

One of the jobs is the finish inspector. I’ll give you a brief description of what that job entails. First there is colour design. This involved deciding on colors – such a Brown C9 for a character’s brown hair – from among over three hundred hues of color and then writing in red ballpoint pen on all the frames. This is done so that anyone can color in.

The coloring work is all outsourced, so the descriptions must be accurate and clear. Doing this for each frame is the work of the color designer. When the colored cells come back, they are checked for mistakes in coloring and for dirt and scratches. This is the work of the finish inspector. And looking through all these cells is an enormous task. The finish inspector is the chief of tracing and coloring.

My talk today is about a woman who is a finish inspector. I won’t giver he name, but she is a very wonderful women. In fact, I am a fan of hers (as a sidenote. I’ve never seen Miyazaki say that about anyone else).

I first met her during preparations for Heidi (1974 series). We all worked at the same studio. I say studio…it was a prefab building in a parking lot. We first went there in the heat of summer when the air conditioner happened to be broken, so it was about 104f (40C) inside. And in winter, no matter how strong the heater, it was freezing cold due to the gaps in the walls. It was truly a horrific place.

The studio had only recently been set up and Heidi was our first series. We first found her (the finish inspector) asleep under a blanket. Her eyes were bloodshot. I could tell right off that she had stayed up all night and only gotten to sleep earlier that morning.

She was working on a project that used six to seven thousand cels each week, which meant that she had to make color designations for that many pages. She was the only one doing color design and clean-up supervising. On the last day of the final check she telephones here and there to call in many women to work on clean-up animation.

That was the kind of work she was doing each day. Whenever I entered the room in the morning she would jump up from the couch where she had been sleeping. She would only sleep for two hours a day.

Thinking this was outrageous, I approached the studio head but his response was “There’s no one else that I can trust do this work.”

…This meant that the studio was working on two television series at once. And yet she was the only one doing clean up supervision. She was doing the color designation and farming out the colour for two television series at once.

…She stayed at the company, eating box lunches, instant noodles, and sweets delivered to the office. The only time she went home to her apartment was to do her laundry and come back with a change of clothes…Even while thinking that we should let her have more free time, I found myself asking her to do more and more work because she was someone I could utterly depend on.

…Just as before, she was working all night, sleeping for two hours and always at work the next day. Frankly this was in violation of the Labor Standards Law…and it wasn’t good for her health either. But still, she continued to work.

Part of me feels that no one should work that hard. But part of me wants to have the energy and dedication she has for her work.

…The finish inspector eventually did collapse and was taken to the hospital by ambulance…since being released from the hospital she has continued her work as a finish inspector.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Now I know what must be down.
Don't fall for his reverse psychology.

Still nothing compared to the shock I got from The Death Panda, a guro manga.

Please don't search for it if you want to remain having faith in humanity...

The worst thing I read I'm not even go to mention by name. However the title made it sound like it was going to be a parody of a famous series. Oh how wrong I was. Oh how very wrong.

You would've had my support if you said Marimite.
You either love it or you hate it.

Look at you, starting at the beginning of the series. As I have no respect for the show at all I don't have any problem skipping straight to episode eight, which is what I am about to do (god help me).

is this a joke ? what's the point of skipping so many episodes when it's not filler material ?

Drop the show if you can't watch it normally ..

Accel World Episode 8

The entire sequence before the OP was pretty cool. It shows how seriously some people can take a game, training to get better because of a previous set back, and the action animation and designs are really cool. And then out of nowhere, they show that he's been "training" in a toilet cubicle. Erm. What. Yeah whatever. Then I saw some loli show up with fake-incest comedy nonsense. I quickly started to skip ahead to prevent further damage to my brain and possibly my reputation. Luckily there was more game footage later in the episode!

The battle against Scarlet Rain was AWESOME. It's basically an anime rendition of a fight against a Vanquish boss or something. The mecha layouts are detailed, the designs are cool, and there's lots of great animation. sogood.gif

Accel World Episode 11-12

OMG! So this is what happens when this show decides to abandon the real world nonsense and set two entire episodes in the game world. Everything looks awesome, feels awesome, and the action and designs are totally filled with duckrollisms everywhere. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Be still my beating heart!

If the show is regularly like this, I would be a huge fan. Too bad it seems to be a rare case. The funniest thing about Accel World after watching ep1-2, 8, and 11-12, is that I feel this anime is a lot like watching EVO. The game world scenes are like watching actual EVO fight matches, while the real world crap is like watching the pre-EVO stuff, the interviews, and dicking around inbetween matches, and all that crap. Just skipping all the real world scenes seems to have no real impact on being able to follow the motivations and overall plot, since everything that really matters seems to take place in the game world...

I don't know what you'll think of them, but I think you should at least check out 5 and 7 (or at least skip around in them).

Jex

is this a joke ? what's the point of skipping so many episodes when it's not filler material ?

Why would I be joking? If there's a work which has limited value for me I will only consume the parts that I see as being worth my time. This is the rational thing to do.

Don't dictate how I entertain myself.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Because there's a thing called Random Access Points and we get to skip the parts that we dont' enjoy and watch the parts that we enjoy. The joy of new media.

ZetaEpyon

Do they feature in the opening animation?

I actually missed the "OP" part of "giant robot show OP" in the first post. That said, IGLOO 2 doesn't have a consistent opening animation that I remember, but they are indeed in the opening intro sequence (largely getting blown up by Zakus).

So, I guess it's up to interpretation of what you consider an OP, and what you consider prominently featured. :)

Why would I be joking? If there's a work which has limited value for me I will only consume the parts that I see as being worth my time. This is the rational thing to do.

Don't dictate how I entertain myself.

Don't get this wrong ..you're free on how you entertain yourself ..i respect that and i don't understand how skiping the intro and the explanation for a media and jumping in the middle is something intresting..

i don't

Feel free to have an opinion on something when you intentionnaly skipped many parts of it. You're right , entertain yourself... what's the point of story and plot in a anime , anyway ???

I won't comment on this issue afterward..

I mostly fell out of it in the late 90's, early 00's a few things have cropped up over the years that have surprised me like Vandread, or Godannar like I mentioned previously, I've only seen bits and pieces but Gantz seemed pretty decent aswell. I know that a newer Trigun movie had come out somewhat recently I think but I still have not had a chance to see that.

I'll look into these two that you recommended though and see what comes of it, Is Sword of the Stranger anything like Ninja Scroll?

Early 00s? That means you haven't seen Gurren Lagann. Now it does have some things you might not be crazy about, but if you want pure hot-blooded manliness, there's nothing better than that.

Did 7th just post leaked key visuals for the new Sailor Moon anime? :eek:

I would watch the fuck out of that.

Kaper

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 1-2

Holy shit, I don't think a TV show has ever made me laugh so much. The humor is just right for me. I really like the soft pastel colors, as well. Loaf was trying very hard to steal the cute crown from Okashi-san. Dechu~

I will trust you on this. Because you led me to Magi.

Well if you want to see all the game world scenes, you should pretty much skip around in all the episodes, but those are the ones with major fights. I happened to like both of them, but I do remember some people complaining about 5. Can't really remember with 7 though, but I liked it a lot if that's any consolation (which I know it isn't).

duckroll

Well if you want to see all the game world scenes, you should pretty much skip around in all the episodes, but those are the ones with major fights. I happened to like both of them, but I do remember some people complaining about 5. Can't really remember with 7 though, but I liked it a lot if that's any consolation (which I know it isn't).

It's okay, if it's bad, I only have myself to blame. Don't worry about it. Being duckroll is suffering.

Ultimadrago

I’m still getting through my book on Miyazaki, albeit extremely slowly, so I’ve only just arrived at another interesting section. I’ll post an extract here. This time Miyzaki goes into detail of what it was like to work as a finish inspector on Heidi:

…Just as before, she was working all night, sleeping for two hours and always at work the next day. Frankly this was in violation of the Labor Standards Law…and it wasn’t good for her health either. But still, she continued to work.

Part of me feels that no one should work that hard. But part of me wants to have the energy and dedication she has for her work.

Hark work is hard.

Don't get this wrong ..you're free on how you entertain yourself ..i respect that and i don't understand how skiping the intro and the explanation for a media and jumping in the middle is something intresting..

i don't

Feel free to have an opinion on something when you intentionnaly skipped many parts of it. You're right , entertain yourself... what's the point of story and plot in a anime , anyway ???

I won't comment on this issue afterward..

I mostly agree with you, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't skip to the last 5 episodes of Heartcatch if I had a choice. I do think with something like Accel World, the explanations and exposition enhances the action, but I'm not going to judge someone for finding it uninteresting/stupid and only wanting to see the pretty fights.

fertygo

TBH there is not much great sakuga in Accel World, before eps 9
the loli Red King introduction

That episode and episode 12 n 13 was worth for my suffering ;__;

Dresden

Accel World - 08

This was bad. Good for like five minutes, the rest was shit.

7BscA.png

ReaperXL7

I wasn't around when you put in your request for anime titles to watch, but I am glad to see you've ordered a nice selection. Have fun!

it's cool, you can still recommend stuff if you have some that you''d like to. I'm currently making a list of recommendations that I get to check out once I finish these anyway so the more the better.

I'm going to import a few gundam games with Unicorn being one of them so i'll probably look into the anime aswell, i've always liked Gundam anyway so I probably would have gotten into that at some point.

Here is a small list of animes i've seen previously and liked off the top of my head:

Fist of the North Star
Bastard!!
Vampire Hunter D
Ninja Scroll
Ghost in the Shell
Trigun
Akira
Cowboy Bepop
yu yu hakusho
Berserk
NEon Genesis Evangelion
Escaflowne
Godannar
Vandread
Dragon Ball/Z
Guyver
Outlaw Star
Perfect Blue
Record of Lodoss War
RoboTech
and Gundam (G being my favorite)

i'm sure there are others but those are the ones i've seen that I liked alot. This is not a one and done thing, i'm going to give this a good chance and see how it turns out. So more recommendations are welcome.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
i'm sure there are others but those are the ones i've seen that I liked alot. This is not a one and done thing, i'm going to give this a good chance and see how it turns out. So more recommendations are welcome.

You should check out the Hellsing OVAs if you haven't already.

fertygo

But seriously Accel World have such a great concept and system (far more interesting and unique than SAO) too bad its just generic LN in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom