• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

i'm ok with this, lol I liked Ninja scroll personally, but I understand that its not really a deep movie so something similar but with some purpose and depth sounds great, I should also mention that I do like drama/suspence stuff aswell Pefect Blue (always seemed like an eastern take on hitchcock) comes to mind, I guess with games a good example would be the Yakuza games, does not have to be just action stuff.

You like Yakuza? You like Trigun? You have to watch this!

91S4UhhIp-L._AA1500_.jpg

Ryuukan

I know it's not really mainstream or anything but really the thing that made me stop watching anime the most was when a friend of mine recommended a movie to me called Bible Black, My thoughts were "oh hey cool a magic based anime, i'll give it a shot"......I was not prepared for what came after though..

But that's not moe anime at all, should've been right up your alley. Even the girls are manly.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Episode 34 of PGSM is the best episode in this show hands down.

Ami x Rei is the OTP of this show and really the franchise in general. When they reboot Sailor Moon this greatness will finally be recognized as canon by the mere peasants, the real yuri savants already know it to be true.

Indeed! Their time is now!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I know it's not really mainstream or anything but really the thing that made me stop watching anime the most was when a friend of mine recommended a movie to me called Bible Black, My thoughts were "oh hey cool a magic based anime, i'll give it a shot"......I was not prepared for what came after though..

Oh...

Guess I'll put away my recommendation list.

SDBurton

Same. The moment one of the girls
used magic to grow a *censored*

cKbMv.gif

Magic is cray.

codhand

What can anime gaf tell me about

Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below

?

Seeing a lot of variant pricing on the Blu-Ray, $40-$120, looks like there's a limited edition and one that it not...

Anyway, as a Ghibli fan and a Shinichiro Watanabe fan, would I enjoy something like this?

The trailer looks cool, but not seeing a lot of info on this.

ReaperXL7

But that's not moe anime at all, should've been right up your alley. Even the girls are manly.

lol well i'm sure thats a dig at me, and thats fine I don't claim to be a very complex man, I just like what I like. Being clear though I don't dislike anime that features women as main characters (Ghost in the Shell is great, and I remember Bubble Gun Crisis being good), I don't don't tend to like anime that are overly feminine though. I don't have an issue with their exsistance personally, but they are not something i'd go out of my way to watch.

survivor

Banned
What can anime gaf tell me about

Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below

?

Seeing a lot of variant pricing on the Blu-Ray, $40-$120, looks like there's a limited edition and one that it not...

Anyway, as a Ghibli fan and a Shinichiro Watanabe fan, would I enjoy something like this?

The trailer looks cool, but not seeing a lot of info on this.

It was very boring honestly. I liked Shinkai's other movies much more.

LegatoB

You like Yakuza? You like Trigun? You have to watch this!
(insert Gungrave here)
Third or fourthing this; the first episode and a few of the episodes near the end are a bit wonky, but it's a shockingly good show. One of the best expansions of thin videogame source material I've seen in any medium. And the soundtrack is absolutely killer.

Dresden

Accel World Episode 8

The entire sequence before the OP was pretty cool. It shows how seriously some people can take a game, training to get better because of a previous set back, and the action animation and designs are really cool. And then out of nowhere, they show that he's been "training" in a toilet cubicle. Erm. What. Yeah whatever. Then I saw some loli show up with fake-incest comedy nonsense. I quickly started to skip ahead to prevent further damage to my brain and possibly my reputation. Luckily there was more game footage later in the episode!

The battle against Scarlet Rain was AWESOME. It's basically an anime rendition of a fight against a Vanquish boss or something. The mecha layouts are detailed, the designs are cool, and there's lots of great animation. sogood.gif

Accel World Episode 11-12

OMG! So this is what happens when this show decides to abandon the real world nonsense and set two entire episodes in the game world. Everything looks awesome, feels awesome, and the action and designs are totally filled with duckrollisms everywhere. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Be still my beating heart!

If the show is regularly like this, I would be a huge fan. Too bad it seems to be a rare case. The funniest thing about Accel World after watching ep1-2, 8, and 11-12, is that I feel this anime is a lot like watching EVO. The game world scenes are like watching actual EVO fight matches, while the real world crap is like watching the pre-EVO stuff, the interviews, and dicking around inbetween matches, and all that crap. Just skipping all the real world scenes seems to have no real impact on being able to follow the motivations and overall plot, since everything that really matters seems to take place in the game world...

I remember this.

Some day, I will be able to find all the ROBOACTION in this show edited into a single youtube video, which I can enjoy without all the garbage which makes this show unwatchable. At least, that's what I hope.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Did you need to quote the whole thing?
That was all the emotions I went through while watching Bible Black the first time at whatever age I was.

I just auto quote cuz it's faster. Anyway, when the hell did you watch it then?

survivor

Banned
I regret not discovering Bible Black way earlier in my life.

First time I watched it was 2 months ago.

Cool, anything else of his on available on BD?
I think for NA releases they were all on DVD, but Amazon says the Japanese BD for 5 Centimeters Per Second has English subtitles.

ReaperXL7

alright so I just ordered Redline, The Gungrave Series, Sword of the Stranger, and Samurai Champloo (was recommended to me elsewhere) so we will see how this goes once Amazon delivers them to me. Watched an AMV for Redline and I have to admit the Visuals seem pretty fantastic.

Dresden

alright so I just ordered Redline, The Gungrave Series, Sword of the Stranger, and Samurai Champloo (was recommended to me elsewhere) so we will see how this goes once Amazon delivers them to me. Watched an AMV for Redline and I have to admit the Visuals seem pretty fantastic.

Thumbs up.

duckroll

That's a pretty solid range of stuff. I'm sure you'll have a pretty good time. :)

SDBurton

Very nice! The soundtrack for this show is fantastic.

Firemind

It's the year 0079 of the Backlog Season...

Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team 1

How often do you see a giant robot show OP that prominently features tanks?

This was fun. I'm looking forward to getting to Earth, but Shiro Amada is pretty awesome. Optimistic, brave to the point of stupidity, and kind. See, he helps out a helpless enemy soldier and bandages her wounds! What a gentleman!

Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team 1

Shiro Amada, an energetic young male that knows how to destroy mecha in ways that others never even dream of!
He meets the person who is most likely the main girl and helps her "against her will."

Ah, 08th MS Team, one of my personal anime essentials. Enjoy!

Man thanks for making me feel old.

Anyway, anyone recommend me something to watch? I'm really bored. Preferably romcom or just rom is fine too.

Nodame Cantabile

SDBurton

Anyway, anyone recommend me something to watch? I'm really bored. Preferably romcom or just rom is fine too.

Arakawa Under the Bridge
B Gata H Kei
Girls Bravo
InuxBoku SS
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai Seasons 1 & 2
Lovely Complex
Midori no Hibi
MM!
School Rumble
Seto no Hanayome

If you want just Rom, then definitely Kimi ni Todoke if you haven't seen it already.

SDBurton

For the love of god don't go near Kimi ni Todoke.

Season 1 was great. Season 2 is when that misunderstanding bullshit got out of control.

Regardless, this series has one hell of a supporting cast.

To be honest, out of that list the only ones I'm pushing for would be Arakawa Under the Bridge, Kimi ni Todoke, Lovely Complex, and School Rumble.

Cant be bothered with new anime as I have a backlog of tens of old animes I need to watch accumulating hundreds of episodes.

I will not miss the Code Geass gaiden tho.

Theonik

HeartCatch PreCure 19
I really liked this episode mostly because Erika's father is a BOSS character. This week's problem was also pretty good and I felt the episode was pretty well done. The fight itself sees some cool parts though it's fairly pedestrian compared to the series peaks. We get the speed power-up being used again in this episode which is sorta cool I guess.
HeartCatch PreCure 20
inTSFFzeZV1ai.png

The Tsubomi who stole the model's place
Finally! It seems like we're going to get
the yellow precure and the real bad-guy is semi revealed!
The actual fight of this episode was not all that interesting and I almost feel like they've done this sort of problem before though it did have a quite significant twist,
in having all 3 generals fighting at the same time although short
it also feels like setup for a bug midseason climax. Can't wait to see what happens next and more importantly
if the class president will be the yellow precure!
AKB 0048 11
Quite a bit of stuff happens in this episode though it is beginning to feel like we won't be getting our crazy conclusion this season with only 2 episodes left and the show will presumably be a 2 season show. It feels like it has to at this point.
So we are back to lancastar which has somehow now become an even more dull depressing place with DES forces increasing their influence throughout the land. It also seems like SS is about to elect a new center Nova and is writing songs again. What could our season finale be? No-one knows but I'm betting it will end with the concert on lancastar and shit going down.

wsippel

Banned
Did you need to quote the whole thing?
That was all the emotions I went through while watching Bible Black the first time at whatever age I was.
New Testament was way worse (shotgun rape and shit). But my very first anime ever was Urotsukidoji at the age of 13 or 14 or something (or the first anime I've seen that wasn't for kids), so Bible Black didn't really have much impact anymore by the time I've seen it.

Focus on romance? Toradora. Focus on comedy? Seto no Hanayome. Inu x Boku is smack in the middle and pretty good. Full Metal Panic is both, plus action and mecha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom