• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

I'm glad to see you enjoying this great series. Did you check out the Bake-neko arc from Ayakashi yet?

Haven't gotten to it yet. Was gonna start up Ayakashi after I finish up Mononoke but is that arc required viewing beforehand?

Seems pretty good without knowing much about Bake-neko arc so far though I did see a few references to it.

Dresden

Such a lost opportunity...
I know. ;_; Imagine all the kinky...

...although I guess that's edging near Ressentiment territory.

FXP1Sl.jpg

moonspeak said:
Haven't gotten to it yet. Was gonna start up Ayakashi after I finish up Mononoke but is that arc required viewing beforehand?

Seems pretty good without knowing much about Bake-neko arc so far though I did see a few references to it.
Eh, you'll do fine watching it after.

Instro

You were warned that the road you were walking would be long and hard. In a way, I respect you for being dedicated enough to watch every episode in the series. However you're just providing further evidence why that course of action should be avoided.

How do you have context for what is happening when you skip so many episodes of a show though? Or did you read plot summaries?

Not required, but it gives you more insight into the first arc of Mononoke with regards to what the Medicine Seller is doing, and what his tools and sword do. The girl from the Umibozu arc is in it as well.

fertygo

Animation never got dated when its looks good, for example.. I'm just watching Riding Bean and holy cow its looks like godsend compared to CG shit that we got now >_>

Anyone can recommend me more oldies OVA like this? Already watching Gunsmith Cats (n on progress reading the manga) too, I can't get enough of dem 2D cars.

Jex

There will never, ever be a Ressentiment anime because there is no target audience. However, if it were made it would surely be a sign that anime as a whole would be coming to an end because really, it's the final word.

wonzo

Banned
You were warned that the road you were walking would be long and hard. In a way, I respect you for being dedicated enough to watch every episode in the series. However you're just providing further evidence why that course of action should be avoided.
someones gotta set an example for others

While it's not required per se but it's pretty much a prequel arc to the main series and it ties into the last arc rather creatively. There shouldn't be any issues watching it after though so it's up to you!

Jex

How do you have context for what is happening when you skip so many episodes of a show though? Or did you read plot summaries?

You seem to assume I need context for some bizarre reason. I don't! It doesn't seem that complicated anyway.

wonzo

Banned
Animation never got dated when its looks good, for example.. I'm just watching Riding Bean and holy cow its looks like godsend compared to CG shit that we got now >_>

Anyone can recommend me more oldies OVA like this? Already watching Gunsmith Cats (n on progress reading the manga) too, I can't get enough of dem 2D cars.
While it really doesn't get any better than Riding Bean, I'd have to recommend the amazing BAOH THE VISITOR DUB or the equally insane Bagi, the Monster of Mighty Nature.

There will never, ever be a Ressentiment anime because there is no target audience. However, if it were made it would surely be a sign that anime as a whole would be coming to an end because really, it's the final word.
Thanks for reminding me to read Ressentiment.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 10:

Wow. That was some serious Higurashi shit right there. The way the episode's perspective was shown was really interesting, with everything seen through the eyes of Yuuko's memories and when Yuuko moves, you see Teiichi moving because he is experiencing Yuuko's memories as if he was really occupying Yuuko's body.

This show started somewhat unevenly but it's really grown into one of the better shows I've seen the past few years.

I really enjoyed the
full on Higurashi moments

Branduil

Mike and Bryan with dat bank.

8,800 copies in its first two weeks I think. So pretty good, but probably not by their standards.

Not trollable either way sadly. That's no fun :(

I think, between the sales of the home video release and increased novel sales, it can be considered a success. I'm sure the investors are pleased.

fertygo

While it really doesn't get any better than Riding Bean, I'd have to recommend the amazing BAOH THE VISITOR DUB or the equally insane Bagi, the Monster of Mighty Nature.

Already watch BAOH and about the latter, its seems horrifying eveytime someone here made a post about it >_>

Milky Holmes 06

Overdosing on cute.

Wow, this episode was ridiculously high in energy. Like super high.

It was going a mile a minute for more than the first half and the end was basically soap opera level twists. Still very fun to watch.

Narag

Miyuki-Chan in Wonderland

Two 15 minute episode OAV based on the CLAMP manga of the same name. I'll let wikipedia do the describing:
The series focuses on Miyuki, a Japanese schoolgirl who finds herself pulled into several nonsensical worlds populated by scantily-dressed females who want to have their way with her.
The OAV adapts the first two stories and the first episode answers the question I never asked of, "What if everything in Wonderland was a sexy lady that wanted Alice?"

yay toast

Between the drill hair and other things, I was reminded of Chet's Ladies vs Butler's viewing. I had no idea drill hair had its own tvtropes page either.

Yes, that's the March Hare, the Mad Hatter, and the Dormouse.

The Mirrorland episode revels in surreal imagery and featured a game of chess that was more or less sexy chess pieces catfighting and stripping.

There's a musical theme that's rearranged here and there in both eps that I adore so much though as it does a wonderful job of keeping up the energy even when onscreen antics slow down. This was a fun watch and it was nice to scratch another title off the list of things I never got around to back in the day.

Two 15 minute episode OAV based on the CLAMP manga of the same name. I'll let wikipedia do the describing:
The series focuses on Miyuki, a Japanese schoolgirl who finds herself pulled into several nonsensical worlds populated by scantily-dressed females who want to have their way with her.

Well, gotta watch this then...

Well, most people aren't aware that Sword Art Online is a direct refutation of Nozick's thought machine and a harem show. It's kind of like how Bioshock is a critique of Ayn Rand and you shoot people in the face.

The biggest problem with Bioshock was the endings, actually. The game itself was pretty good up until you watched the shitty endings and thought to yourself "That's it?!" and upended a table in fury.

duckroll

Let me repeat my EVO comparison again. Watching Accel World is like watching EVO. You're mainly interested in the rights themselves, and sometimes only certain match ups which matter, and of course how the tournament ultimately ends. Each person might care more or less about the individual competitors, so while some would be interested in interviews with them or chill out videos with them hanging around between matches, others don't give a fuck.

Skipping all the real world scenes and entire episodes of Accel World is no different from skipping entire segments of EVO only to tune back in when "shit matters" or if a fight looks interesting. If you ever feel lost, you won't be lost for long either, because the commentators will keep you up to date, and even as the match goes on there will be a lot of information being summarized and repeated to keep people up to speed about the status of the tournament so far.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 10:

Wow. That was some serious Higurashi shit right there. The way the episode's perspective was shown was really interesting, with everything seen through the eyes of Yuuko's memories and when Yuuko moves, you see Teiichi moving because he is experiencing Yuuko's memories as if he was really occupying Yuuko's body.

This show started somewhat unevenly but it's really grown into one of the better shows I've seen the past few years.
I'm glad more people are watching it. I don't think it's right for everyone but it'll really click with others.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Korra no Densetsu 09
Mahou Shoujo transformation sequence? In mah Western cartoonz?

One of my biggest complaints of season three (beyond the awful scheduling) was how a lot of the episodes introduced some neat world-building elements that ultimately played no part in the series finale (hellooooo Space Sword). Korra takes out one of the coolest concepts from that season and makes it a focal point in here. This is what I like from sequels: expanding on the original universes without feeling like retreads of the same story. It can get too outlandish at times (hellooooo
METAL GEAR
) when there's little semblance of continuity from one iteration to the next, and I still can't buy that Republic City emerged from Tech 0.5 to Tech 1 in the Kardashev Scale in the span of a century... but whatever.

Also: OMGWTFBBQ

Let me repeat my EVO comparison again. Watching Accel World is like watching EVO. You're mainly interested in the rights themselves, and sometimes only certain match ups which matter, and of course how the tournament ultimately ends. Each person might care more or less about the individual competitors, so while some would be interested in interviews with them or chill out videos with them hanging around between matches, others don't give a fuck.

Skipping all the real world scenes and entire episodes of Accel World is no different from skipping entire segments of EVO only to tune back in when "shit matters" or if a fight looks interesting. If you ever feel lost, you won't be lost for long either, because the commentators will keep you up to date, and even as the match goes on there will be a lot of information being summarized and repeated to keep people up to speed about the status of the tournament so far.

EVO would be awesome if it ended with the guy responsible for the creation of all the games there coming out to reveal he's an evil mastermind that only created the games as a plot to do... something. And then everyone has to beat him at his own game!

wonzo

Banned
Accel World 6
accel6a.jpg
accel6b.jpg

the harem grows larger and many a book is thrown

meeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh. time spent in-game: like 1 minute at the beginning and the animation was actually pretty good!

dat ponytail

Already watch BAOH and about the latter, its seems horrifying eveytime someone here made a post about it >_>
Bagi's really the only place you're gonna see the long lost cousin of Anton Chigurh and learn about the evils of DEVIL RICE.

Just do it!

duckroll

EVO would be awesome if it ended with the guy responsible for the creation of all the games there coming out to reveal he's an evil mastermind that only created the games as a plot to do... something. And then everyone has to beat him at his own game!

I thought that was what the pre-EVO Floe thing was about... :)

Uchip

Banned
Korra no Densetsu I still can't buy that Republic City emerged from Tech 0.5 to Tech 1 in the Kardashev Scale in the span of a century

they had steam powered ships in the first show, and prototype mechanical gliders
now that
lightning bending
seems common, and there appear to be some kind of batteries, its not that far fetched.
Pretty sure all of the big buildings were easily made by earth benders rather than construction vehicles.
mass production of mechanical parts? fucking
metal benders

Its kind of like how technology in One Piece is all snails

oh and its a fantasy!

sleepykyo

The OAV adapts the first two stories and the first episode answers the question I never asked of, "What if everything in Wonderland was a sexy lady that wanted Alice?"

The Mirrorland episode revels in surreal imagery and featured a game of chess that was more or less sexy chess pieces catfighting and stripping.

Well, I know what I'm watching after I finish Natsu no Arashi.

Oh, and here I thought Ressentiment was some meme that I missed instead of an actual title.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Saki - 12

Je45O.png

WRjR9.png

Chains of lust!

Yuri.... Yuri Everywhere. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as there's honestly only one male character that gets any screen time.
They could just scratch him out for all I care.

Props to
Hisa holding it down and taking the win for her round.

Narag

Sword of the Stranger Pilot

I had no idea this was included on the Bluray. It's a pretty piece and makes me want to rewatch the full movie. It also makes me wish there was more as I bet Nanashi's had some adventures :(

tasogare.jpg

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

This show was surprisingly fantastic. You wouldn't have expected anything like what you got from just the first half of the show, but it really takes a turn for the serious in the second half and becomes a really impressive little romantic ghost story. I'm not going to pretend I haven't seen something like this before, it's hard to avoid having seen ghost romance tales like this kind of story because they are so prevalent in Asian cultures. But this show takes the fundamental concept and executes it extremely well.

I've commented about the art style of SHAFT a lot already, but this is probably the best use of that style I've seen so far. The surrealist style fits the material perfectly and Oonuma absolutely executes the style flawlessly and with a good amount of restraint. He knows when to pour the SHAFT on and when to pull back and revert to a more conventional animation technique when it suits the story. The use of color and light/shadow throughout is pleasantly effective. Sometimes there's random 3D thrown in but it's used sparingly and avoids being too distracting or jarring, which is the biggest complaint I have with 3D other than when it just looks really bad. There's a pretty obvious amount of lowbudget-ness throughout the show, especially when faces are badly-drawn in almost all non-closeup shots, but the SHAFT method has always been partly about disguising a low budget and this show does that with plenty of finesse.

I will say a few words about the ending. From what I am told, the anime actually goes past where the manga is and so they needed to create an anime-original ending. I'm going to be completely frank: I honestly don't believe the last part of the ending was necessary.
It was absolutely perfect when Yuuko vanished while in Teiichi's arms. Then they had to pull a Final Fantasy X-2 and make Yuuko suddenly reappear and turn a beautiful, emotionally satisfying ending into some stupid unnecessary happy ending for no good reason. The whole point of the ghost romance tale is that the love is fleeting and will inevitably fade like the ghost, and they just completely threw that away with a stupid saccharine sudden reappearance for no good reason. Come on guys, grow some balls and end the anime the way you obviously want to, not the way that tries so blatantly to make people buy the manga!

Overall, this was a wonderfully animated little series with a strong story, enjoyable characters, an excellent sense of style, and if you ignore the last 2 minutes or so of the last episode, it should have had a fantastic ending. It's hard to say that after just watching what is probably their best show to date, but if Tasogare Otome x Amnesia is any indication of what Oonuma and Silver Link can do with decent source material, I can confidently say that Magical Girl Ilya is in good hands.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Spoiler for Final Fantasy X/X-2:
"Tidus? You're alive?! Well shit, you just fucked up the awesome ending of the whole last game! Idiot!"
Final Rating: 8.5 out of 10 Ghost Moes

This show will be a candidate for my Best Shows of 2012 rankings. Currently 2 shows have qualified: Fate/Zero and Tasogare Otome x Amnesia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom