• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only read the first two books of Artemis Fowl back when it was being called "the next Harry Potter or shit like that. I can't remember anything that happened in those books beyond some mentions of flatulence.
Its my favorite novel series, well and series of unfortunate events too, but I cant believe its the final Artemis fowl, I'll miss it, I suggest at least getting back into it.

Jarmel

Banned
Its my favorite novel series, well and series of unfortunate events too, but I cant believe its the final Artemis fowl, I'll miss it, I suggest at least getting back into it.

Holy shit I didn't know he had pumped out another one. He's been saying forever that he wanted to stop and so I though after Atlantis he was going to slow down for awhile. I guess he just wants to wrap the franchise up. I need to catch up and read Atlantis although the past couple of books really haven't lived up to the first three.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Saki - 09

3goCU.png

The team captain from Kazekoshi Girls Academy is a beast!

This is what I was hoping for. Because those early pool matches were incredibly one-sided.

cajunator

Banned
Hey, I think I recognize this particular brand of grumpy, slightly incoherent cynicism!

Anyway, getting back in the loop only takes a glance at the OP and a few recommendations, so I think we can help you.

After 1-2 episodes, I've personally liked the following enough to recommend:

Bimbougami ga!, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, Joshiraku, Sword Art Online, Uta Koi

These seem to be pretty solid suggestions. Will investigate further.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 9:

The SHAFT style returns in full force. It's amazing how that style is so perfectly suited for this show.

Spoilers follow:
I AM THE SHADOW, THE TRUE SELF. I AM YOU, AND YOU ARE ME.

PERU-SOH-NAH!!!

I love how Shadow Yuuko has the Black Rock Shooter blue eye flame for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I guess Oonuma is a fan of BRS because there isn't any other logical rationale for putting it in there.

Nobody missed me while I was gone. Jerks. :(

Nobody even noticed when I vanished for a month. D-do you want to be my Sabishii Nakama? ;_;

Dresden

Zetsuen no Tempest would be really cool if its allusions to The Tempest were anything more than frippery.

There's still room for potential with Sycorax/Ariel, but eh...

Because they're totally going to use those again after a psycho trapped people in a game world with them. I know it's only a 24 year difference, but still, the people in this universe aren't THAT dumb.

You'd be surprised, lol.

wonzo

Banned
Sword of the Stranger Pilot

While catching up on AWO I had the pleasure of listening to Daryl's gushing review of Sword of the Stranger. While listening I noticed that he started talking about how the movie came to be, point out the Pilot movie. I wasn't really aware of its existence until now but lo and behold it was sitting right there on my BD copy so I decided that now would be as good a time as any to check it out.

It's a pretty neat 3 minute promo with some nice animation. I guess you could see it as a loose prequel or something. I'd recommend everyone that's a fan of the movie to check it out as it's got some pretty nice animation!

Soma

Mononoke - Zashiki-warashi Arc
ij9SpzgetEOgp.jpg
ibe4sx5MZsRbjN.jpg

While the first half was pretty decent, it didn't really hook me until the very end of the first episode. The second episode however was great and pretty trippy. I loved the cinematography and the symbolic imagery. I found the subject matter pretty interesting and I respect the story for dealing with such a touchy subject. Ending was a bit ambiguous but for the most part I got the jist of what was going on. Overall I enjoyed this arc despite the slow beginning.

Mononoke - Umibōzu Arc
ibmMXu0TxMWmXa.jpg
iwjIWS99fCQGt.jpg

This arc was amazing.

Wow. From the scenes with the Umizatou (ah glorious Wakamoto) to the climax of the story regarding Genkei's past... excellent trio of episodes. I loved the design of the ship and the different visual changes it underwent through the episodes. As for the main story itself, while it was fairly predictable (kinda figured who the culprit was from the first episode) I really enjoyed it and I found it pretty heartbreaking. And the ending? Man that was crazy. The music in this show isn't exactly the most notable thing but I really loved how it helped carry the final scenes.

Definitely a fan of this series now.

Jex

Nichijou 2

Better than the first episode but the humor is rather hit or miss for me. Thankfully it stays pretty throughout.

Skipping long stretches of humdrum boredom is the Nicihjou viewers best friend (sorry, Nichijou fans).

Articalys

So I noticed a bunch of people here recently started watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

How about a Takarazuka Revue version of it?
Yoshiki Tanaka's space opera novel series Legend of the Galactic Heroes will receive a stage play adaptation from the famous all-female Takarazuka Revue Company this fall. The stage play will be performed by the company's Cosmos Troupe at the Takarazuka Grand Theater in Takarazuka between August 31 and October 8, then at the Tokyo Takarazuka Theater from October 19 to November 18.

Actress Kaname Ouki will play the role of Reinhard Von Lohengramm while Tooma Ozuki will play Yang Wen-Li. Other announced roles include:

Rion Misaki as Hildegard von Mariendorf
Hiro Yuumi as Paul von Oberstein
Manato Asaka as Siegfried Kirchies
Yuuya Hasumi as Oskar von Reuenthal
Ruumi Nagina as Ansbach
Hiroki Nanami as Wolfgang Mittermeier

Narag

Sword of the Stranger Pilot
It's a pretty neat 3 minute promo with some nice animation. I guess you could see it as a loose prequel or something. I'd recommend everyone that's a fan of the movie to check it out as it's got some pretty nice animation!

Oh neat, I'll definitely check this out.

Jex

So why is it called the civilization blaster? Why do the buildings have chains? Are they a demolition crew who uses big chains to tear down buildings? Are they freeing the buildings from their bondage? So many questions!

The only chains are the shackles society forces upon people, man.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 10:

Wow. That was some serious Higurashi shit right there. The way the episode's perspective was shown was really interesting, with everything seen through the eyes of Yuuko's memories and when Yuuko moves, you see Teiichi moving because he is experiencing Yuuko's memories as if he was really occupying Yuuko's body.

This show started somewhat unevenly but it's really grown into one of the better shows I've seen the past few years.

Jex

Oh man, oh man, it really is happening! Exists! Gothicmade movie tickets on sale beginning July, 14. For those fortunate ones that can assist to any of the 'ROADSHOW' screenings:

花の詩女 ゴティックメード -上映劇場- : 角川映画
http://www.kadokawa-pictures.jp/official/gothickmaid/theater.shtml
22671983-wtf.gif

It...it actually exists? I don't know if I can handle this new reality.

wonzo

Banned
Mononoke - Zashiki-warashi Arc

While the first half was pretty decent, it didn't really hook me until the very end of the first episode. The second episode however was great and pretty trippy. I loved the cinematography and the symbolic imagery. I found the subject matter pretty interesting and I respect the story for dealing with such a touchy subject. Ending was a bit ambiguous but for the most part I got the jist of what was going on. Overall I enjoyed this arc despite the slow beginning.

Mononoke - Umibōzu Arc

This arc was amazing.

Wow. From the scenes with the Umizatou (ah glorious Wakamoto) to the climax of the story regarding Genkei's past... excellent trio of episodes. I loved the design of the ship and the different visual changes it underwent through the episodes. As for the main story itself, while it was fairly predictable (kinda figured who the culprit was from the first episode) I really enjoyed it and I found it pretty heartbreaking. And the ending? Man that was crazy. The music in this show isn't exactly the most notable thing but I really loved how it helped carry the final scenes.

Definitely a fan of this series now.
I'm glad to see you enjoying this great series. Did you check out the Bake-neko arc from Ayakashi yet?

So I noticed a bunch of people here recently started watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

How about a Takarazuka Revue version of it?
i'll check it out when I've exhausted all other LoGH options.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm a little late to polar bear cafe, but I just watched the first episode. it's incredible, i mean, the anteater man, the anteater, the puns, everything

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Korra no Densetsu 08
It's difficult to congratulate Korra for its masterful choreography and action when it is also full of very sterile-looking CGI in some of the outdoor sequences. Oh well.

Very much liked this return to form for the anime after the silly
hurdurr now we have a steampunk METAL GEAR
stupidity from episode seven. I've said it before, but the best part about this whole shebang is how the writers lure you into thinking they are gonna repeat the same beats from the previous season (TEAM AVATAR IS BAC-oh wait) and then put Korra through more personal dilemma than simply saving the world. The scene with her
crying while looking at Republic City
was superbly done --just long enough to convey her inner turmoil without masturbating on the angsty elements. It ends up being more meaningful because of the suddenness of its introduction and denouement.
Which was like 2 months ago.
From May to June? Not a chance.
I laugh at your linear concept of time.
I did but figured you just needed a break so respected that!
Anime can take a toll on one's sanity, yeah.

cajunator

Banned
Saki - 03

Glad Saki is finally going to kick things into gear and play for keeps.

Looking forward to what happens next.

I see Cute. Saki is on the squeedar.

Quick! Post gifs so it can catch his attention!

al8yp.gif

Attention has been acquired.

tumblr_m6zdmvSPkL1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

Kino no Tabi, Haibane, Gunslinger Girl, Last Exile. 2002-2003 confirmed Golden Age of Anime™

Also Stellvia.

Edit: Azumanga; Planetes

Yes. I bought so much stuff from that era. So good.

Jex

If a game/anime legitimately looks good, then it will look good forever.

If a game/anime looks 'good' simply because there's no better alternative at the time for reference, then it becomes dated.

As usual, it's a case-by-case basis.

Bubblegum Crisis looks dated now because everyone is wearing incredibly 80's fashion. Which isn't to say that it looks bad.
By "shoot people in the face" I think you mean "hit underseas mutant hobos in the face with a wrench to the tune of Waltz of the Flowers" but yeah, I see where one could compare the two.

I was never really much of a wrench user.

Jex

Accel World 5
meh. number of time ingame = all of it sans 2 minutes at the end. oh and most of that was yet again stupid haru angst

You were warned that the road you were walking would be long and hard. In a way, I respect you for being dedicated enough to watch every episode in the series. However you're just providing further evidence why that course of action should be avoided.

You were warned that the road you were walking would be long and hard. In a way, I respect you for being dedicated enough to watch every episode in the series. However you're just providing further evidence why that course of action should be avoided.

Duckroll liked that episode >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom