• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
Korra no Densetsu 11: That wasn't so bad.

It's the aftertaste from
FUCKING MECH SUITS
, mostly. That shit's too bananas.

I'm very much enjoying what I've seen in 11. I'm assuming there's some sort of plot twist or whatever that comes off-wall now. Hopefully it's not too idiotic.

they had mecha tanks in teh old one
id be ok with it if they didnt look like
retarded Big Daddys
oh and if the CG wasnt so bad LOL

duckroll

Remember Bahi JD? The promising web animator who worked on those crowd scenes in Kids on the Slope Ep7?

https://twitter.com/porigoshi/status/223262954345332737

Awc6C.jpg

His work was popular enough that it got noted in the recent coverage for the show in Otona Animedia! And that's not all!

https://twitter.com/bahijd/status/223327655720783873
https://twitter.com/bahijd/status/223328537745170433

He's now part of Studio 4C! :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Korra no Densetsu 12: uh

uhuh

I wanna see where they take the idea of
Korra as a healer
in following seasons before I start bitching about the lack of risk/reward going on. That was a good finale despite the
deus ex machina
at the end --tense, well-animated, and very moody. The only missed element I could whine about is that this
would have been the perfect opportunity to show Korra relearning all the bending forms
in following seasons. I'm willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt on this one.

The one thing that did nag me, however, was the handling of Asami's dad's character.
Having him blatantly attacking his daughter destroyed any motivation he could have conceivably and believably had for me. It transforms him from a man with a sense of revenge to a plain old psychopath. He should have shown his more humane side in that sequence of events instead of just being willing to assassinate his own blood.
. But, as I said, very minor annoyance considering how well-executed the rest of the episode was.

Where to go from here, though? There's a clear lack of an
antagonistic force
going on for the following seasons, and in many ways it feels like Korra's character arc has already come to a close. This series is set up as a stand-alone, and I fear we may have something akin to the Matrix sequels, where a continuation was added to a story that didn't need one.
they had mecha tanks in teh old one
id be ok with it if they didnt look like
retarded Big Daddys
oh and if the CG wasnt so bad LOL
To be honest I never liked the steampunk elements in the original show. They felt very out of place in a story about martial arts and spirituality.

Instro

marimo no hana

so it was a waste of time. Just a really mediocre 11-minute ova adapted from an ongoing manga written by Yasushi Akimoto, the AKB48 producer dude. Directed by Akitoshi Yokoyama. Intro was probably the best part, along with about a thirty-second sequence near the end. Otherwise, bad.

Also the VA for the lead girl (some AKB girl no doubt) is turrible.

9aUZDl.jpg
Probably should have mentioned that about 8 mins of this is not worth watching, but i don't want to encourage the jexhius way of thinking. :)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You say that like Studio 4C is a bad place to be.

wonzo

Banned
Sailor Moon 6

Hmm, this ep felt a bit different from the past few, but in a good way! Hmm, I wonder what coul possibl...

smoon6ikuni.jpg

AH HAH! Now everything makes perfect sense!

...those are ships? Wow.
The galaxy in revolution. Renaissance!

Remember Bahi JD? The promising web animator who worked on those crowd scenes in Kids on the Slope Ep7?

His work was popular enough that it got noted in the recent coverage for the show in Otona Animedia! And that's not all!

He's now part of Studio 4C! :D
It's nice to see Bahi JD get some much deserved cred but Studio 4°CG... I'm conflicted!

You say that like Studio 4C is a bad place to be.
someone hasn't seen the latest berserk movie

Uchip

Banned
To be honest I never liked the steampunk elements in the original show. They felt very out of place in a story about martial arts and spirituality.

I dunno
I thought it was a great use of the elemental powers
fire nation had the steam boats, earth had the Monorail etc

the show is better for its world building and not being limited to martial arts

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
@Hazaro

I only watched the OVA series. Do you still recommend seeing the rest?
Absolutely. The extra end episodes fleshing out their younger years is great. I really wanted more. Reinhard's is basically SPACE BROS being awesome.
I've yet to finish Yang's. If you are in the mood to revisit that universe I'd highly recommend them.

v36v0.jpg

Thud

Absolutely. The extra end episodes fleshing out their younger years is great. I really wanted more. Reinhard's is basically SPACE BROS being awesome.
I've yet to finish Yang's. If you are in the mood to revisit that universe I'd highly recommend them.

Cool, I'll add it to the watch list.

Also is there a series even remotely close to LOGH? When I watched the main series, I felt it was on a different scale than everything I ever watched before.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Since I'm finishing up Suite Precure pretty soon, I need to decide which precure series to watch next, so...

Futari Wa Pretty Cure 1-2

The very first precure series! The animation was really good, I guess Toei wanted to show off what precure was about right away by pumping a lot of budget into the opening episodes. Nagisa is likeable and fun to watch, I'm wondering if they're going to alternate episodes between Nagisa and Honoka or just have Nagisa be the real main character all throughout. Their transformation is pretty unique, and I like it, even if it's not as spectacular as some of the later series'. The villain looks a bit whacky, but at least he's not as bad as Suite Precure's. So far so good, but then there's... the fairies. They are quite possibly the worst mascot characters in existence, every time I even think about them I want to kill them in a slow and painful way. :(

Also, this has a non CG ED! I wonder which precure series started the trend?

Fresh Precure 1-3

I have to say, the animation was pretty poor in these episodes, especially compared to Futari Wa. The dancing scenes are particularly egregious, their faces never change from that weird bug eyed smile. I like the artstyle used for the backgrounds, though. The transformations are good apart from the beginning where they're wearing those glowing outfits that look like pajamas 3 year olds would wear. It just looks really strange. Eas has "will switch sides, probably for the midseason climax" written all over her. The mecha monsters were fun, I guess inanimate object become mecha and living organisms just get the generic monster upgrade, like Lucky did.

Tentative ranking:
Cure Pine
Love
Cure Berry

After watching the opening acts of both, I'm still not sure which one to watch first... :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Metrotab

Banned
Never been much of a mecha-fan, but I'm really enjoying Gundam 00 so far. Excellent entry point for the series if you've never watched it before, or for the genre itself.

Theonik

You speak as if the knowledge of the Japanese language would suddenly and automatically make puns hilarious.
I was trying to make a super lame pun myself there. :(
Though yes the puns aren't actually all that funny but being able to appreciate their intended lameness is part of the show.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Mahou Poni Twilight-Chan 15

Yeah, a dumb episode about a character I don't really like. No thanks.

Mahou Poni Twilight-Chan 16

A much better episode than 15, one of the best yet. The Cloud City was pretty fun, and Rarity's getup was pretty funny. Also Rainbow Dash is one of the better ponies.

Holy shit I didn't know he had pumped out another one. He's been saying forever that he wanted to stop and so I though after Atlantis he was going to slow down for awhile. I guess he just wants to wrap the franchise up. I need to catch up and read Atlantis although the past couple of books really haven't lived up to the first three.

Yeah, I had only found out about this last one like a few weeks ago. At least thus far in my reading its off to a decent start. I guess he'll do something else...or could take the prequel route like A Series of Unfortunate Events is doing this fall.

Arcana Famiglia[/b] 2 -
For the characters, this episode focuses on the lead girl Felicita, and three of the guys who seem to be the main group, along with cameos from two other guys as well. First there's the underling guy who serves as comic relief. He was amusing in several scenes in the episode, like when
he got stuck up that tree, or when he was looking behind the paintings to find her... :lol, no, I don't think she's there. :)
The other two are the generic blond male lead guy, and the tsundere guy with blueish hair. Am I being predictable in saying that I think the tsun guy is better? It's true, though.

A Nova fan at last. Luca tends to be pretty hilarious and Nova singing was great.

Articalys

Sket Dance 66

Alright episode. Both parts were amusing enough for basic "clubroom antics" type stories.

The new ending is really awesome though; it's a combined performance from both the Sketchbook band and the Sket-dan seiyuu! Pretty cool.

On an unrelated note, the anime staff really loves to add/emphasize shipping moments, don't they.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom