• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

Naruto Shippuden 136 - 140
tumblr_lz7d9uboyi1r755seo3_500.gif

The episodes were so good I found myself like Naruto in the gif above.

please tell me you're okay now?

Sket Dance 66

Alright episode. Both parts were amusing enough for basic "clubroom antics" type stories.

The new ending is really awesome though; it's a combined performance from both the Sketchbook band and the Sket-dan seiyuu! Pretty cool.

On an unrelated note, the anime staff really loves to add/emphasize shipping moments, don't they.

I wish they would have said defined tsukkomi is or whatever. Didnt much like the action animation in the ending.

Caesnd

Bahi is like what.. 21? I really hope this guy makes it big, because he is really talented and has a great mindset as well. I've only read about a few people from France working with 2d animation in Japan before this, but I haven't seen any of their personal work, while Bahi has been going all out on the most frequented channels showing his worth. I'm stoked to see where he'll be and what he'll be doing 5-10 years from now.

Kingdom 6
I thought it was a pretty good episode. Piao truly is the most awesome character in the anime, if only he was still, well you know.
That king's power right there in the middle of battle to build moral and lead them away was good
tumblr_m6z25dARxv1roy8s6o2_500.jpg

Diao and Xin are so funny together, hopefully we get these moments with el Sei at some point in time. I was hoping it would just be the three on the journey.

The corridor scene looked interesting, I think, some moments of the anime remind of video game.
tumblr_m71quo662O1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Jex

Oh there are more ships in LOGH.

The animation and detail is awesome, even in present times.

I don't understand this statement because it seems to imply that mechanical animation is better now than it was in the 80's!

sonicmj1

Backlog season... you have a new assignment.

Gunslinger Girl 1

Is it bad that when I heard about this show for the first time recently, I confused it with Gunsmith Cats?

I mean, you can look at that subtitle during the opening, and think that by "adolescent child", they mean "anime adolescent child", and she'll probably have tea parties with her friends and be all tsundere towards her handler.

vw3Bd.jpg

Instead they have tea parties and she's a kuudere no no NO STOP IT

But instead, it turns out that turning little girls into cyborg assassins leaves everyone involved kind of fucked up. And this show has the subtlety and skill to show that off without dropping into melodrama or suffering from neck-breaking tone whiplash. I wish I could see stuff like this more often.

Other posters have already discussed how amazing the editing is in this episode, so I'm just going to say that those people are right.

1mvHg.jpg

Also, the transition from the shooting gallery back to the present was jaw-dropping.

I really couldn't be more pleased with this start. It's probably one of my favorite first episodes ever at the moment.

Jex

If a mecha show is only for mecha fans then that is probably because its not very good.

Uh-oh, now /m/ will come and hunt us down!
I always thought the mecha show for non-mecha fans was TTGL.

SPOILERS: My first (non Evangelion) mecha series was Gundam 00.
Remember Bahi JD? The promising web animator who worked on those crowd scenes in Kids on the Slope Ep7?

He's now part of Studio 4C! :D

That's great news! I look forward to seeing his work in upcoming projects.
To be fair, they have pretty much perfected the ability to maximize revenue:budget.

SHAFT are certainly the best businessmen in the anime world.

Or they would be if they could pocket all the profit.

-Minsc-

Nothing stronger than this sign of true friendship, hyperventilating at the mere thought of the other.

Naruto's a teenager, one has to break that shit in their mind before they can become a man.

Sket Dance 66

Now I'm waiting for the Gintama X Sket Dance crossover where Shinpachi and Himeko duke it out on that show.

kuroko's Mahjong 14

Wow that was a surprise twist. Shadow momo does make this game a lot less straight forward.

Will this be the same story beat for every player in the show though? Must everyone wanna yuri with their captain?

I'm not complaining. :)

This season is pretty backlog friendly, almost all animes on my watch list are sunday animes, so I have enough time for my backlog.
I saw Twilight Q (oh Oshii...), Library War, Diebuster and the first Maruko-chan movie in the last 4 days. not bad...

next title: Binbou Shimai Monogatari

This season is pretty backlog friendly, almost all animes on my watch list are sunday animes, so I have enough time for my backlog.
I saw Twilight Q (oh Oshii...), Library War, Diebuster and the first Maruko-chan movie in the last 4 days. not bad...

next title: Binbou Shimai Monogatari

I liked your old avatar better :/

sonicmj1

Are you happy now?

Revolutionary Girl Utena 26

In this arc,
Akio takes the student council members for a ride, and they all get inspired to fight Utena one more time. It's like that Mega Man boss rush before Dr. Wiley.

I like all the new reusable footage they've added. It's crazier and more fabulous than ever before. Too bad the duels are now shit. Even if they were never really the main event, not even the imagery is interesting anymore.

bsBgR.jpg

Cars? Again? We did this last episode!

I feel like we're getting closer to what all of this crazy talk means in practice. In this episode,
Miki is paralyzed between choosing an eternity with Himemiya, and his family life/sister.
It costs him the duel. The eternal isn't quite so simple.

VDBOw.jpg

This week's episode is brought to you by the symbol "Bird".

I want to spend more time with Utena and Himemiya.

Don't worry. Even while backlog season is rolling, I'm going to keep watching an episode or two of this a week. I need to see how this comes together in a mess of improbable past coincidence, symbolism, and adolescent emotion.

/XX/

...so tired didn't see the cliff...back to lurking from the shadows...(z_z)
Man, I always imagine these posters that only appear a couple of times on this threads as conspirators, either that or very important persons that can't risk being identified.

So... who of these two types are you? Post more, to clear any suspicion!

Best soccer animu is like saying best item on an Arby's menu.
I have fond memories of some series with that theme, among all the ones that came in droves to Spanish TV stations (without including obvious choices or adaptations into series, like Captain Tsubasa J). To give examples; DRAGON LEAGUE went a little outside the habitual setting imposed by the genre, or Ashita e FREEKICK (あしたへフリーキック) that incorporated very well different aspects of the character's lives.

I haven't revisited those in years because I'm afraid of what would I think if I see them again, so if someone has recently seen any of these works post your new impressions, please!

Did you just insult a large swathe of people who post in this thread? Bravo.
All in good spirits! I know he exaggerated a little to make his point more clear (I'm not worthy of it). But said that, I would have loved to see Ultimadrago around here at the time Nichijō was airing, to defend it... I shiver at the thought of such awakened and really aggressive powers!

Morimoto left 4C not too long ago. Shit's toast.
To join a design house and sell some mobile accessories, no less!
Well, for the moment, as they said he is interested in making animation productions again.

sonicmj1

Utena
I thought
the car trope on utena was the coolest trope on the series

The car trope is awesome outside of duels, but
just going by the last two episodes
they're used in a really repetitive way in the dueling arena.

At least it was always a different thing in Black Rose Arc.

fertygo

The car trope is awesome outside of duels, but
just going by the last two episodes
they're used in a really repetitive way in the dueling arena.

At least it was always a different thing in Black Rose Arc.

Yeah, I like how
they brainwashing and all the shit in that car lol, maybe its just me but its looks cool in the fight too athough its very repetitive

Btw just a bit more you reach the best mini arc (at least its was my favorite) of the series!

Defuser

Sket dance 66
First part was fun with the thought machine, laughed at the poop thought. Second was boring though I get to see Momoka blush.

Yuru Yuri 2 ep2
bJ9rD.jpg

KILL IT WITH FIRE ARGH!

Jintor

Well, most people aren't aware that Sword Art Online is a direct refutation of Nozick's thought machine and a harem show. It's kind of like how Bioshock is a critique of Ayn Rand and you shoot people in the face.

Bioshock's backstory is a critique of Ayn Rand. Bioshock's story (or twist) is an interesting reflection on the lack of choice present in modern linear-corridor shooters, even ones with a constrained sandbox of options available to traverse those corridors. Bioshock's gameplay is a shooter with a looooooooooooooot of guns, some of which are drug needles.

Also, Nozick's thought machine is basically just a lotus eater machine right? It's Better Than Life and a magic plant you hook to Kryptonians.

Sket Dance 66
tumblr_m71tstsqUJ1qfe17zo1_500.gif

The first skit was alright though really good at the end there. It was all really emotional. Didnt understand the point or even purpose of this scene, he really needed that of Saaya in his face? Second skit was alright for Bossun's faces.

Thud

I don't understand this statement because it seems to imply that mechanical animation is better now than it was in the 80's!

Sorry, that not sharp in the morning.

I meant you could still watch LOGH and be amazed by the animation. Especially the battle animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom